Chapter 7

Don't Marry Me

 End of Semester 

“You know, I think your friend is really creepy, like creepy-creepy, overboard creepy” Taehyung complained right after Nara shut the door when Jungkook decided to leave.

“At least I have a friend. He’s nice and different—“ Taehyung cut her off in the middle of her sentence.

“So, you like him? You don't like me anymore right?” he said cornering Nara with too many questions.

“That’s not untrue…” she stated, “Why would you like to know?”

“So, you do. You still like me right?” Taehyung asked glancing at Nara’s face that turned red in split seconds.

“I didn't say that… I didn't even say anything.” she put her hands on her face to cover her cheeks that were burning red, and ran upstairs.

“You still like me, right? I know you do!” Taehyung shouted from downstairs, but didn't hear any response.

 

The weekend passed so fast that school was coming to an end. The entire student body was assembled in the multi purpose hall for a semester announcement. The principle came to the stage and greeted them, to get the students attention who were stil busy talking amongst themselves.

 

“Good morning. I trust you had a good weekend, since holiday's are coming. I wanted to announce that before holiday's start—and I know you don't like school without any activities; I came up with an idea, we are going to have an outing program. All seniors must join this event since you won’t have any other outing's after this. This event will be held next week.” She said with a smile hoping that the event will go smoothly.

 

The principle continued to explain about the event, while Nara was busy glancing at Taehyung every now and then. Jungkook who was sitting next to her noticed her weird behavior. He wanted to ask her, but never found the right time.

“What are you doing?” Jungkook poked her lightly on the shoulder.

“What?” Nara snapped out of her daze and blinked several times, “I’m sorry. What?” she asked with all attention on Jungkook.

“Nothing… Forget it” he replied with a smile.

“No! Tell me” Nara nudged Jungkook’s shoulder and laughed.

“Seriously, it’s nothing. I just wanted to snapped you out of your head” he explained and nudged her back.

“Okay. Whatever you say…” she said while putting all her attention to the teacher.

“What? It’s true…” Jungkook responded, but Nara ignored him.

“You all will be divided into two buses, the names of the seniors on each bus are mandatory and have been posted on the school notice board. Feel free to check your bus later.” She explained and gave the mic to the teacher in charge.

 

After a few minutes of other unimportant news, they were dismissed for lunch. Jungkook walked side by side with Nara and went to the school board. She scanned the paper for her name;

Stundents Seating Arrangements

(Bus A & B)

Son JooHee              Kim TaeHyung

Kim DaeIn                 Shin KaRa

Kim SeoNa                Son DaeRi

Kang NaRi                  Shin JeIn

Jeon JungKook        Park JiMin

Park Sondae             Kim NamJoon

Park Nara                  Seo JooNa

 

Nara stopped her finger at her name and continued to look for Taehyung’s, but until the bottom of the page his name wasn't on the same column as hers. She peeked at the next column and her eyes bulged when she saw that his name was there with Jein.

 

“Hey, we’re on the same bus…” Jungkook laughed while pointing at the paper posted on the board.

“Heh… We are” she sighed heavily. Without thinking Nara grabbed his hand and dragged him to the cafeteria.

 

Jungkook was surprised that she actually held his hand, but he was happy.

 

She went to the lunch line and waited for her turn to get her food. She took a huge amount of rice and went to grab the meat. Jungkook, on the other side, looked with eyes bulging at her plate.

 

“Are you really that hungry?” Jungkook looked at her plate while raising an eyebrow.

“Sometimes…” she said while roughly mixing her food, apparently today is bibimbap, “Sometimes, you just need to eat a lot of food, you know.” She shoved a spoonful of mixed rice.

“You should eat slowly…” Jungkook said while focusing his gaze on her next spoon.

 

Nara didn't listen and kept shoving her food down and eventually, she choked. She banged the table and Jungkook immediately ran to get her some water.

 

“Here! Drink!” he exclaimed. Nara took the glass from his grip and drank the water. Jungkook went to her side and patted her back several times.

“I’m fine—I’m fine,” she said trying to calm down.

“Why are you eating so furiously, anyway? You seemed fine just now…” he asked carefully and continued, “Is something bothering you?”

“It’s nothing…” she said trying to avoid his question.

“Why do you always do that?” he asked rising his voice.

“Do what?”

“Always avoid my questions although I know you have the answer right on the tip of your tongue, but you always swallow it down…” he explained.

 

What Jungkook wanted was for Nara to be honest. He understood her, but he felt like she didn't trust him the way he trusted her.

 

“Can’t you just accept it?” She sighed deeply, “I’ll tell you when I want to…”

“Yeah? Well, when is that going to be? Tomorrow? Next week? Next year? Never?” he cornered her once again. “Can’t you see I’m trying to be your friend here?” he exclaimed.

“I just lost my appetite, I’m gonna go now” she dropped her spoon and took her bag, she walked away leaving him behind.

 

Nara’s mood went down not because Jungkook asked too many questions, but it’s because of what she saw on the school board. She went home without any expression and threw herself onto her bed. Taehyung went inside a few minutes later.

 

“Hey, you’re home…” Taehyung greeted, but got no response from her. Nara curled herself up in the bed not wanting to talk to Taehyung.

“Okay, silent treatment. Again…” he sighed and the TV.

 

He doesn't even care. He doesn't even ask why I am like this.

 

Nara bit her bottom lip and pushed herself to sit.

 

“Are you going to go on the outing next week?” Nara asked nervously. She actually wanted Taehyung to come, but at the same time she hoped that he wouldn't come at all because Jein would be there and she didn't want unexpected things to happen.

“Isn’t that mandatory?” he asked without looking back at her. 

“Well, yeah…” she sighed, guessing that he’ll probably go. “Okay then”

 

Taehyung turned off the TV out of nowhere and stood up. “Did you expect me not to go?” he asked as if he was reading her mind.

 

“No.” she answered nervously.

“Really?” he asked without expecting any response from her. “I don't want to go though, but since the principle said that it was mandatory I've got no choice…” he explained and went to the bathroom to wash up.

 

Nara nodded to herself and her mood was a bit happy because even though  Taehyung was going he didn't feel like it. Suddenly, Nara’s mind was drawn back to Jungkook, she was a real jerk, she knew that Jungkook was trying to be nice and she promised herself that she would be more open to him.

 

The next day, Nara was waiting around Jungkook’s locker hoping that he would come and she could apologize to him, because she was being unreasonable yesterday. Jungkook came a bit late and saw Nara was leaning on the other side of the locker, they had brief eye contac, but Jungkook ended in a flash.

 

Yesterday must’ve pissed him.

 

Jungkook didn't take a glimpse of her, when he went to his class. Nara stood straight, she wanted to call him, but wasn't sure if she should.

 

“Jungkook…” she called his name softly hoping that he would look back, but at the same time hoping he won’t. Knowing that Jungkook didn’t respond she went the opposite direction to her next class.

 

Nara went to lunch alone; the guy that usually sat in front of her trying to make her laugh was not there. She looked around, maybe Jungkook was getting his food or on his way to her seat, but no. There was no sign of him. She sighed heavily in disappointment.

 

She was back to being the lonely friendless loser girl. She thought that she was destined to be friendless and to live a terrible life. She didn't see Jungkook in the hallway often. Now she knewshow lonely it was without a friend, although that it was just that one friend. She felt more alone than before she met Jungkook, she felt like she was abandoned.

It was about four or five days since Nara and Jungkook talked.

 

Probably, he already found another friend to take my place. I know I wasn't good enough for him or worse, to anyone.

 

“You seem dejected today… What up?” Taehyung asked, when he looked at Nara she was really dejected, and raised an eyebrow, “You probably won’t talk so, okay…” he sighed heavily and played with his phone.

 

Nara felt like keeping everything to herself, but remembered what she did to Jungkook and it wasn't not good.

 

“Taehyung, what do you think of me?” she asked while trying to find a comfortable place to sit.

“What—what do I think of you?” He was making sure that she was really asking. Nara nodded lightly, to give him a response. “Well—um, I don't really think about you—wait, umm…” Taehyung stuttered, not knowing how to respond to such question.

 

Nara sighed in disappointment, “So it’s like that…” she bit her bottom lip and continued, “I understand…” she said softly and went to the bathroom.

 

“God, that look on her face. Ugh, I feel so guilty. I shouldn’t have said that, you stupid mouth!” Taehyung exclaimed and hit his lips several times for saying those words.

 

Am I really that worthless to people? Do they even care about me? Why do I even exist, when no one is going to care about me?

 

Nara stayed in the bathroom a bit longer, because she didn't want to see Taehyung’s face. Eventually, she had to go out. When she opened the door Taehyung was there standing in front of her. She tried to walk to the side that had a much bigger space, but Taehyung blocked her. Taehyung waited until she stopped and looked into his eyes.

 

“Can you please move?” she said breaking the eye contact, but Taehyung didn't move an inch. She pushed him away and with enough strength she managed to escape from him.

When she walked to the chair, she just realized that she was holding Taehyung’s abs; she put her hands on her cheeks remembering how it felt. She didn't even know that Taehyung had abs. 

 

I can still feel his abs in my hands; his packs fit my small hand perfectly. I would do anything to hold them again—wait, what? Why am I thinking about his abs? No, I’m supposed to be pissed at him, not thinking about his abs…

 

She went to the bed without looking at Taehyung.  She sat on the bed and dragged the blanket to cover up her face.

 

“You touched my precious abs, you know that right?” Taehyung asked, but there was no response from her. “Hey!” Taehyung pulled the blanket down to her waist; Nara closed one of her eyes, because the light was too bright and her eyes were trying to adjust. 

“What?” she groaned heavily.

“You touched it…” he pointed at his stomach, so she would understand what he was referring to. 

“Well, maybe you should have moved out of my way when I asked.” She defended herself, while taking a peek at his stomach.

“Hey, hey… Stop staring!” he exclaimed and pulled the blanket over his body covering the part Nara wanted to see.

“I wasn't looking…” she sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Really? I doubt that” Taehyung responded with an annoyed tone in his voice.

“What ever!” she pulled the blanket over her head again and curled up to the other side. 

“You must be really tired, since you’re sleeping at 7:30 pm, which I don't understand since tomorrow is the weekend.” He said while focusing his eyes on his phone, not wanting to lose the game. “Sometimes I think the days went too fast…” he said talking to himself and received no response, but he heard Nara was lightly snoring a few seconds after.