Chapter 11

Don't Marry Me

In It to Win It

Jangmi woke her up early in the morning, telling her to take a shower and leave Jein. Nara did what she was asked to do, sleepily; the other groups are starting to gather in their positions. She saw that Jungkook was already up and was prepared for the activities.

 

“Hey, Jungkook!” Nara greeted him with a smile.

“Oh, hey…” Jungkook replied not with so liitle spirit for the day.

“What’s wrong?” she put her hand on his shoulder and smile again, so Jungkook can smile with her. 

“Nothing…” he sighed while packing the stuff needed for the second game.

“Really? It doesn't look like nothing… Mind sharing?” Nara asked hoping that Jungkook would open up and tell her how he feels, so she can comfort him.

“It’s nothing really, I just don't want to lose again.” He sighed deeply and continued, “It wasn't because of not wanting to wash dishes, but I’m just really competitive. So, yesterday was kinda not so good for me…” he explains while putting his bag pack on his right shoulder.

“Jungkook, no offense, but it’s just a game. I can also be very competitive when it’s for the Olympics…” she said with a light laugh, hoping that it can cheer him up.

“Huh, well you’re not wrong.” He said while scratching the back of his neck.

“So, what’s the game today?”

“Building a boat,” he said pointing to the river that has a lot of woods in the riverbank. The teacher will explain later…” he stated.

 

Nara nodded.

 

When the entire student was assembled, the teacher gathers their attention by blowing a whistle.

“Today we are going to the riverbanks making our own boats and cross the river, if your boat sinks, you have to start again from the again—fix your boat and get the flag.” The teachers announced through the megaphone and walked away after the announcement is finished.

 

“Who did this!?” someone came to the field and walked towards Nara. “Who did this—you did this, did you?” she asked with a furious expression on her face. 

“Did what?” Nara asked, looking at Jein from head to toe since there was nothing wrong with her.

“This!” she turned around and pointed to her back. Her hair was painted with an acrylic blue paint. Nara’s eyes bulged and scoff. “So, it is you…” she announced, and took everyone’s attention and gave Nara a death stare.

 

Some of the people giggles and start to talk about what happened, and it caught Taehyung’s attention too, but he didn't do anything, he was just there watching the whole thing.

 

“It’s funny,” she said with a light laugh, “but I swear it wasn't me—“ Nara didn't able to finish her sentence because Jein cut her and her smile disappears.

“Look, I know you don't like me and—well I don't like you either, but doing this is not going to get you anywhere, except hell…”Jein stated with a disgusted look and walked away.

“How can you stoop so low?” Nara attacked her, “It’s just paint, it won’t ruin your hair, can you please just chill for one day? Stop thinking that you can get away with everything just because you’re popular!” she exclaimed and her fist was there ready to punch Jein.

“Look, Naera—if that’s you’re name, don't you think doing this makes you go to the bottom of the food chain?” she whispered. “If you don't want to admit it, it’s fine. You’re going nowhere, just sayin’ ” she smirked and walked away.

 

Nara thought, that what she said was right. She was at the bottom and doing what she did can make her underground, she sighed deeply, thinking that there’s no reason to live.

“You, okay?” Jungkook put his hand on her shoulder trying to make her feel better. Nara removed Jungkook’s hand away from her, without saying anything she grabbed her stuff and went to the riverbank by herself, and he followed her.

 

She didn't say anything, not even a word. All she did was sighing, cleared and sniffed.

 

“Are you sure she’s okay?” Jangmi asked Jungkook while hitting her hammer to the wood.

“I’m not sure.  I don't know what—or I’m just—I don't even get understand… Forget it!” he sighed, because he knows that he was talking nonsense.

 

They were busy building their boats, when suddenly Taehyung came across Jungkook’s team. He saw her and stood up.

 

“Hey, Taehyung!” Jungkook called and Taehyung stopped waiting for him to catch up. “Can you please tell your girlfriend to watch ? I’m just saying that her sharp tongue can slash people in the face—“ Jungkook wasn't able to finish his sentence, because Taehyung interrupted him.

“Jungkook? Right? Yea, umm—well I don't really mind what she said cause what she said was right. She was being too much for a nobody—as his boyfriend maybe you should watch over her…”he explains while patting Jungkook’s shoulder a few times and walked away towards his group.

“Ye—yeah, I was gonna do that, you don't need to tell me!” he shouted. nervously and Taehyung formed an “okay” sign with his fingers without looking back.

“It’s finished…” Nara said lightly sat on the ground.

“Oh my God, Nara! You’re alive, alive I tell you!” Jungkook was so happy, but Nara’s expression was straight and she didn't even give him any respond. “Okay… Back to silent, okay…” Jungkook sighed and pushed the boat to the water.

“Stop it… You’re just going to make it worse.” Jangmi hit his chest and help him pushed the boat.

“Nara! C’mon all of us have to ride the boat…” Jungkook waved at Nara to get her attention.

 

She stood up lazily and walked towards their boat. She took a step and the other team members followed, they took a careful step making sure that it doesn't damage the boat.

 

Their group was the first one to finish and actually went inside the water; the other groups have tried several times, but their boats sinks too fast before it reaches to the other side, they need to re-do their boats and try again.

 

Jungkook came in last while giving the boat another push, while the other opens the sail so the wind can help push the boat to the other side of the river, it went well until the middle and they past the other teams marks. They arrived in the other side safely.

 

Everyone on Jungkook’s group cheered and ran towards their flag. Their team gathered and lifts Jungkook up, cheering him because his strategy works. Nara was just there staying inside the boat looking at the other team who is still stuck on the starting side. She wanted to take Jein’s hair out of her said, or something that can help her let out how she feels towards her, because it felt like a fire that only goes stronger not weaker.

 

“Hey, Nara!” Jangmi shouted, “We won, c’mon let’s celebrate!” she shouted from the crowd, but Nara shook her head and head back to the other side.

 

Their team got a reward and they are allowed to eat in the VIP room, their food was waiting for them and they eat it without thinking. Nara was just there sitting in the corner waiting for everyone to calm down and take their food. They were laughing, chatting and talk about how they won, but Nara isn’t interested with any of it.

 

Suddenly, Jangmi went out and came back in with a bottle of soju. The other people on the team gasped and their eyes bulged.

 

“You’re not supposed to bring that here we’re going to get suspended Take it away!” One of the girls cried while checking around making sure there’s no teacher around.

“Put that away… Please!” another one exclaimed.

“Oh, C’mon-- chillax, the teachers are not even here! They’re having a meeting in the multi functional room.” Jangmi sat next to Nara and poured a glass of soju for herself.

“Jungkook! Do something!” one of the team members who is older than him.

“I have no idea what’s going on right now!” Jungkook nudged him in the arm.

 

Jangmi did ask them to drink with her, but they all rejected her and she was happy because she said she could have everything all for her. She is drunk, far from sober and started to talk nonsense.

 

“Hey, Nara you know—that thing?” she asked while leaning to Nara.

“What?” she asked with no interest.

“That Jein thing this morning—haha, I did that! I painted her hair with an acrylic paint—haha, so funny!” she pointed to herself, laughing like it doesn't matter.

“What?” Nara asked in disbelief, she shoved Jangmi’s hand from her shoulder.

“Oh, C’mon you know she deserved it! She’s mean and a total , I know you would do the same…” she said while pouring another glass of soju, the others looked at her with questions in their eyes, “Don't look at me like that—you all hate her right?”

“What is going on here?” One of the teachers came into the room and saw that Jangmi was already on the floor laughing by herself. “Get up!” The teacher pulled her arms and helped her to stand.

“Your group have to stay here, wait until I come back and I’m going to ask you some questions about this...” he walked out with Jangmi and took the soju with him.

“Are you okay?” Jungkook asked hoping she won’t explode.

“I don't know how to answer this, but how do you feel when you get blamed for something you didn't even know in the middle of the field and when everyone is starring and then you’re new drunken friend told you that she’s the one who did it just because she hates her?” she asked with a forced smile and tears are starting to build up in her eyes.

“Hey—okay, okay I get it. I’m sorry…” Jungkook put his arms around her pats her shoulder several times.

“She’s joking right?” one of the girls in his team asked. “I mean—she’s lying right?”

“People tend to be honest when their drunk, because they lose their sense…” Jungkook explained, but his eyes were still focusing on Nara.

 

Sometimes, I wonder why girl-fights are scarier than guy-fight. It creeps me out.

 

Jungkook didn't know what to say or how to comfort her; he knows that just by patting her shoulder is not going to calm her down. He wanted to say several things, but he can’t because there are other students who are going to listen to every word he said.

 

Teachers came into the room thirty minutes later, they looked at the students like criminals.

 

“You clearly know that soju is not allowed, right?” one of the teachers asked and the students nodded. “Then, I don't understand why are you so brave bringing that here—or maybe this isn’t school ground so you’re just going to get away with this?” he asked again. “You know you can get suspended for this, because you're all under age...”

“That’s what I said, but she’s not listening to me and I don't know what to do, none of us do…” one of the girls who cried before explained in panic.