Chapter 33

Don't Marry Me

Divulge

“What are you doing here?” Taehyung asked.

Nara hid the bucket full of chicken behind her and blurted, “Oh—umm, did you eat already?”

“I came out from a restaurant. Yes, of course already I ate.” He replied.

“Right.” She didn't know why she even asked that question. “Do you have a little of space left in that stomach of yours?”

“Why?”

“Nothing—I guess you’re already full, never mind.” She walked, towards the bench that she sat on before and placed the bucket of chicken next to her. Taehyung saw it and approached her.

 

“Why do have a bucket of chicken?” he pointed, “Aren’t you going to share it?”

Nara sighed and told him the truth, “I bought that so that maybe—I thought we could it eat together and as for an apology for forgetting your birthday.” She explained, “No—I’m not sorry, you never told me your birthday so it’s normal for me not to know.” She looked away and hugged the warm bucket of chicken.

 

Nara was disappointed that her plan didn't go as she expected, but then suddenly Taehyung took the bucket of chicken out of her grasp.

 

“Hey, where are you going?” she chased him down, following him to banks of Hangang River, he sat on stairs, there was not really a lot of people and he found a place for them, far enough from other people. “Why are we here?” Nara asked while looking around.

 

“To eat.” He stated.

“But, I thought—you said you were already full.” She pouted, she didn't understand why  he was doing this.

“I never said I was full—you just assumed.” He took a piece of chicken and start chewing on it. “I’m starving—here.” He handed her a piece of chicken and she sat next to him, between them there was a bucket full of chicken waiting to be devoured.

“Then what did you do at the restaurant?” she asked, she didn't want to eat the chicken until she understood the situation.

“Eat—“ he said while chewing, “But, since it’s an exclusive and a high class restaurant, they only give you small portions and I need more than that. Besides, I like this better.”

 

Nara smiled and started to chew on her chicken.

 

“Happy birthday.” She said with a smile, pulling her chicken away from her lips and there were crumbs left around her lips. Taehyung saw it and it wasbothering him.

“You—there’s something there, you got something there.” He pointed.

“What?” she brushed her cheeks, then around her lips, but there are still a few crumbs left.

“There’s still—“ he brushed away all left over crumbs around her lips and accidentally touched it. He looked at her and she looked at him, Nara’s mind was loud with excitement, but she couldn't say anything nor move. In the end, Taehyung pulled his hand away and took another chicken from the bucket.

 

Then suddenly, fireworks started to come out on the other side of the river. Nara was surprised; she threw away her chicken and ran down the riverbank to see the fireworks closer. Taehyung followed her, fixing his gaze on the fireworks. On the other hand Nara was in awe, her eyes sparkled as she watched the colorful fireworks and somehow it made her eyes fill with color. Taehyung turned his head to look at Nara; he looked at her when her eyes were focused on the fireworks and how her jaw dropped as she was fascinated by the colored night sky.

 

The fireworks were finished in a few seconds and Nara’s heart was still fascinated by the surprising view.

“Oh, my God!” she squealed, “That was awesome—I mean did you see that—that's awesome—“

“You like fireworks that much?” he asked, crossing his arms around.

“Well—I don't put it like that, but seeing fireworks once in a while—it’s nice.” She replied, with a chuckle and continuously staring at the sky.

“Why are you still staring at the sky? The firework’s over.” He stated.

“I know.”

“What are you looking at, exactly?” he asked, trying to see what she’s seeing.

“The stars.”

“Why are you looking at the stars?”

“Hmm—because I pity them.”

“Why?” he looked up staring at the stars, glistening—twinkling in sky.

“Because they don't have their own light and most people doesn't really pay attention to the stars—they pay attention to the morning star, the sun; the one that brings them warmth and light. Somehow, I feel like these stars sometimes—no one needed their light because it was too dim, but everyone needs the sun. I can see why there are so many stars and only one sun.” she explained

“Why do think like that?”

“Because that’s how I feel when you’re around—you only look at me when I am the only one there—“ Nara said without her conscious, “Ha—what am I saying? Pretend that you didn't hear that.” She chuckled then ran towards the bucket of chicken and stuffed with one big bite.

“That’s not true…” he replied, taking a sip from the soda can.

“What’s not true?” Nara asked in a mouthful.

“Hmm—“ he laughs to himself, “Nothing.” he say in response.

“Nothing? Really? Is that the best answer you can give? Nothing—never mind, it has been your answer for the last few days. Stop saying things without finishing the sentence, if you don't want to say it then don't even say anything the first place.” Nara stood up and stormed off. 

 

Taehyung chased after her and took her by the wrist and pulled her close, pressing his lips against hers; with his eyes closed he pulled her body closer to his. Nara was surprised and her body cringed, it was the kiss that she was waiting for; it felt more electrifying that she had imagined, but she didn't know if why is he doing this. She closed her eyes and Taehyung’s lips feels like it’s taking her to heaven, how his kiss was slow, with his tender lips and how he’s urging to go deeper, but she couldn't engage and how she can feel his breath. Taehyung pulled away in a few seconds, Nara was surprised and she looked at him, confused.

 

“What if I prefer the star than the sun?” Taehyung said with his breathless voice.

“Huh?” Nara didn't know how to respond, because her mind was still trying to process what just happened.

 

Taehyung wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. Nara could feel his heart beat so fast as she smiled knowing that Taehyung had feelings for her. On the other hand, one of the reasons why he hugged Nara because his face turned red and he didn't want her to see him blushing, like a girl. He exhale deeply, feeling relieved that he could tell her how he feels, although it was not how he imagined how it would be, but he thought it went well. They walked home together and by together means, Nara was walking a few steps ahead from Taehyung. They’re both still having that embarrassing and awkward feeling. Taehyung didn't like the awkward silence, so he catches up to her and grabber her hand; he put his fingers in between hers and put both of their hands into his coat. Nara’s hand was freezing cold and Taehyung was warm. Nara couldn't help, but to smile.

 

The next day, Nara went to school with her mind was still drawn back to last night. Although she couldn't believe Taehyung actually kissed her, but at the same time she was happy and every time she think about it, her hand cringed with happiness. Jungkook who was walking towards her watches as she laughs like an idiot by herself.

 

“Someone seems happy.” Jungkook snapped her out of her imagination.

“Why wouldn't I be happy?” she replied with a question.

“I don't know you look brighter than any other day somehow.” He replied with a smile.

 

Nara didn't really know how to respond to his question, so she just took her books and smiled at Jungkook as a reply. On the way to the next period, people was starting to stare at her, bickering and talking behind her back, snickering, as there was something on her. Nara checked her outfit and straightened her hair, but people were still looking at her and she had no idea why.

 

“I heard she took Taehyung away from Jein.” A group of girls stated when they walked passed Nara and Jungkook.

“What a home wrecker.” Another added, with their eyes judging her appearance. “She’s dating Taehyung?”

 

“What are they talking about?” Nara stopped in the middle of the way.

“I—I don't know. I have no idea.” Jungkook replied, flustered with it as well.

“Did you spill the beans? I trusted you!” she asked, getting suspicious on Jungkook.

“No. I didn't—“

“But, you’re the only one who knows about this.” She replied, curving her eyebrows between her eyes.

 

Then suddenly, Jein and two of her friends came with her arms crossed.

 

“Maybe someone should be careful of what they’re saying in the hallway.” Jein raised an eyebrow.

 “Excuse me?” Nara asked.

“This place is like a fish tank, I know that you’re married to Taehyung for whatever reason, but you should be thankful that I only said you took him away from me.” She said with a smile and Nara knew it wasn't a friendly smile.

“What do you want?” Jungkook tried to shield Nara away.

“I think this is none of your business, Jungkook.” Jein mocked and left them hanging.

 

Nara walked towards her next class, with her blank expression—her only secret that she didn't want people to know was divulged just like that. She’s couldn't focus in class and didn't pay attention to the teacher, fortunately the teacher was just asking them to watch a short movie, so it’s okay for her not to pay attention.

 

Jungkook and Nara had last period together. Teacher had dismissed the class right after the bell rang, but Jungkook was still sitting on his seat, resting his head on the palm of his hand, with his eyes closed.

 

“Hey, Jungkook.” Nara sat in front of him. “Let’s go home.”

“Do you like me or Taehyung better?” he asked.

 

When Jungkook heard that everyone knew Nara had a relationship with Taehyung, he knew that it’s just going to make him harder to win against him. He feels like he’s pushing himself to be inside someone’s picture. He’s tired of trying, but if he doesn't try, he didn't know Nara might want to be with him. He did try several times, but it always failed. Nara didn't know how to respond to his question, she knew she couldn't just say Taehyung bluntly, she knew that he’ll pretend to be okay and it hurt her more when he’s pretending, but her heart does not belong to Jungkook.

 

“Why are you sad?” she asked, putting her hand on his cheek, caressing his cheek with her thumb.

“Because you speak to me in words,” he sighed deeply as he gazed into her eyes “and I look at you with feelings.”