Chapter 32

Don't Marry Me

Stupid in Love 

Nara stormed into the bedroom and went straight to the mirror. Pulling aside her hair, she squinted her eyes looking at her neck closely—scanning through, until she found a fading red mark in neck. Her eyes bulged; she tried to remember what could’ve caused that mark. She obviously didn't hit into anything. Then she remembered what Taehyung did in the morning just before she left, she knew that it didn't feel like a kiss, but she couldn't make out the words.

 

Taehyung was lying on the bed comfortably, eyes closed with a pillow to hold his head and earphones in his ears meaning he couldn't hear any worldly sounds. Nara turned around and stomped her feet into the ground—with each step closer to Taehyung. She furrowed her eyebrows, crossing her arms, waiting for Taehyung to notice her presence, but no—he kept silent. Unable to hold in the grudge, Nara abruptly pulled out the pillow that was holding his head.

 

“Hey—“ Taehyung wanted to shout, but knowing it was Nara, he calmed himself down. “How was the date?” he asked whilst raising one eyebrow and forming his lips into a mischievous smile.

 

Nara who flinched slightly at his smile knew she couldn’t back out now; she needed to say what she wanted to say. She frowned trying to convey her message. She took a deep breath and sighed.

 

“What did you do Taehyung? What is this?” she pointed to her neck.

“You don't know what that is?” He asked.

“No. Am I supposed to?” her eyebrows stayed in between her eyes.

“I thought you knew. That is called a hickey.” He stated.

“What’s a hickey? And why did Jungkook became so pissed when he saw it?” Every question was confusing her, she wanted to understand, but it was going nowhere.

“Why don't you ask him yourself?” he replied. “Look it up for yourself.” He took out his earphones and went downstairs, leaving her with an empty mind.

She took her phone and went to the web, unsophisticatedly looking for the definition of a hickey.

 

“Google.com search for definition of hickey.” She dictated to herself and pressed enter. Her eyes bulged, her jaw dropped in disbelief. “Hickey is a skin blemish, especially a mark caused by a lover biting or the skin.” Then she remembered the feeling that Taehyung was somehow her skin, but it happened so fast and she was flustered at the same time. “Are you kidding me, Google?” she tried to look for some other references, “There must be another definition than this.”

 

Nara threw herself to the bed; she didn't know how to process what happened today. Nara, who didn't know what a hickey was, and Jungkook, who was well aware of the mark Taehyung had made on her. Then, everything came back to her; the weird atmosphere in the bus when she felt all eyes was on her, the older lady that came up to her—“Someone must’ve made sure no one would take you away, huh?” Then Jungkook who asked, “Did you do it with him?” Now everything made sense. It’s all because of Kim Taehyung.

 

She ran downstairs and went to the kitchen, she saw Taehyung who was having a milk and cereal as a late night snack, and she approached him.

 

“A skin blemish, especially a mark caused by a lover biting?” she asked, raising one eyebrow.

 

Listening to her saying those words made him choke and cough unexpectedly. Hitting his chest several times, trying to calm himself down. He never saw hickey's that way, so it was kind of bizarre.

 

“Really, Taehyung? Why are you doing this to me, you don't even like me.” Nara cried.

“That's not true.” He said in a mouthful.

“What’s not true?” she asked.

“Nothing forget it.” He wanted to say something, but looking at her who was pissed would not change anything.

“Great. That’s what everyone keeps telling me today.” Nara left him and went upstairs; she washed up and brushed her teeth, getting ready to sleep.

 

She sat on the edge of her bed, trying to think deeper about what happened, but she doesn't understand. Forgetting everything, she fell into a deep sleep and dreamed about the stars. Taehyung went back to the bedroom and saw that Nara was already asleep. He walked towards her and sat on her bedside, hesitating, but in the end he caressed her head then to her cheek.

 

“I do like you.” Taehyung, looked at her sincerely. He wanted to say that earlier, but she might think that it was just an excuse to stop her from barking at him. He sighed heavily and prepared for bed himself. He turned to her side, resting his head on his own palm, watching her breathe so beautifully and how she crooked her eyebrows every now and then. Unconsciously, Nara turned to Taehyung—making him caught in surprise. He smiled knowing that she’s still looking at him and drifted to the land between fantasy and reality.

 

Nara went to school early the next day, she wanted to study for the exam that she just remembered when she woke up. The school was empty, not that empty, but it was pretty quiet compared to the late mornings. She went to her first period and took a look over her notes, trying to memorize what she could. Time flies; the classes and halls started to crowd with people. Bell rang and she had no choice but to let the book and the notes go. The exam lasted for an hour, the bell rang marking the time over. A few periods passed and it was time for lunch, Nara went to the cafeteria, taking her food and walked towards her table, she found Jungkook sitting at the other end.

 

“Hi.” Nara greeted awkwardly.

“Hi.” Jungkook responded quietly, it almost sounds like a whisper.

“Did you do what your mom asked you to do?” she asked, because the stiff atmosphere is making her uncomfortable.

“Yeah.” He smiled, trying to light the situation. “Anyway, let’s do it again sometimes.” Jungkook proposed another motion.  

“Sure. I would love to.” She smiled.

 

Jungkook wanted to talk about what happened at the Sea World, but he was afraid it’d make the situation even worse. Instead, he proposed another date, with hope this could be a better one. He texted her that he was free this weekend and wanted to do that make-up date and Nara agreed. The week went pretty well, both Jungkook and Nara had put that awkward phase behind them and they went back to normal. Jungkook wanted a simple date, nothing big—he just wanted to watch the movies with her, they promised to meet in front of the theater before dinnertime, so they can have it after the movie.

 

Nara headed downstairs, prepared for her second date, when suddenly her parents and Taehyung was walking towards the door in a formal dress and suits, which Taehyung looked very stunning that Nara was almost losing control of her sanity, but thank God, her mom knocked her out to reality.

 

“Honey, why are you dressed like that?” her mother asked.

“Why are you dressed so formal, what's the special occasion?” she asked, trying to remember any particular event that might be happening, but nothing came to her mind it was blank as a white paper. 

“It’s Taehyung's birthday!” her mother exclaimed, disbelieving that her daughter forgot her own husband’s birthday.

Nara looked at Taehyung as he stood there in a black suit, looking so fine; she looked away and replied her mother.

“I didn't know.” She said simply.

“Well, now you do—go back upstairs and change into something decent, Taehyung’s parents are going to meet us at the restaurant. Oh, dear how can you forget your husband’s birthday, what will Mrs. Kim say when she knows this?” Her mother rushed.

“I can’t—I’m going out with some friends tonight.”

“What?” her mother was getting annoyed with her constant rejection. “This only happens once a year, you can go out with your friends tomorrow or next week.” Her mother tried to remain calm, but she wanted to explode, because Nara always disagrees to whatever she suggested.

“But, I promised I’d go.”

“It’s okay, if she doesn't want to go.” Taehyung took the bullet for Nara, he looked at her, but his gaze confuses her and she didn't understand why would he do that for her.

“But—“ Nara’s mother wanted to complain, but Taehyung insisted.

“Birthday is an annual thing—there’s always next year, maybe we could celebrate it together then.” He explained, he looked at her once again, there’s no wink, no mischievous smile, nothing that indicates him that he was joking.

 

In the end, her mother let her go out. She walked towards the theater, where Jungkook was waiting; he waved at her so that she’d know his exact spot. The line was a bit long, but they waited together, it took them thirty minutes to get to the ticket booth, but Nara didn't look excited and Jungkook saw that expression on her face, when she’s faking like there’s nothing, but there’s obviously something.

 

“Is there anything you’d like to tell me?” Jungkook asked.

“What? Nothing—I’m just happy we could do this again.” She stated, but her eyes were looking somewhere else.

“If you say so.” They walked towards the studio, when suddenly Nara stopped beside the entrance. “What is it?” Jungkook asked for the second time.

“I’m really, really sorry, but today is his birthday and I didn't know. I wasn't supposed to be here, but he took the bullet from my mom—I need to go back.”

 

Jungkook didn't really need to ask who is he. He knew that it was Taehyung, Jungkook sighed and nodded. “Go.” He said.

“Huh?”

“Go. Go to him, he’s probably waiting for you.” Jungkook stated.

“Are you sure?” she asked. “But, you promised that it’s going to be a good one—I didn't want to ruin it.”

“We could do it some other time.” He replied simply, but deep inside he was hurt, he didn't want to let her go, but he knew if he didn't do it, her mind will keep drawing back to him and it’s worse having her with him, but her mind was being occupied by someone else. Jungkook didn't say anything and gave a light nod in response.

“I’ll make it up to you, Jungkook. I owe you.” She shouted and she disappears among the crowds.

“Why am I even trying so hard, when I already lost? I know you still like him.” Jungkook said to himself and he enters the theater, ended up watching the movie alone.

 

Nara went by her house and changed her outfit into something decent; she took the maroon red mini dress and tied her hair up into a ponytail. She went to KFC, to buy one big bucket of chickens and two sodas. She went by the restaurant that her family went to, she didn't want to come inside and sat on the bench while waiting for them to finish their dinner. Finally, shadows came from inside with a sound of laughter, it was her parents and Taehyung’s parents, she stood up and approached them.

 

“Mom.” She poked her shoulder from behind.

“Nara.” She said. “Why are you here? I thought you had plans with a friend?”

“Where’s Taehyung?” she didn't answer her question and immediately changed the subject.

“He’s still inside, he wanted to go to the bathroom—he’ll be out in a minute.” Her mom replied.

“Well, don't you look gorgeous tonight, Nara!” Taehyung’s mom added with an excitement in her voice.

“Thank you.” Nara smiled and she looked over her dress.

 

Their parents walked away, because Taehyung was coming behind Nara and she didn't know.

 

“What are you doing here?”