Chapter 4

Don't Marry Me

A New Someone

Knowing that Taehyung despises her, she started to ignore him and tried to make him feel guilty. She felt hated and yet sad, because she has always been alone and now people starts hating her because of an accident. Ever since that night Nara slept on the sofa and let Taehyung take the bed.

 

She went to school, just to study. She tried to avoid as many people as she could because she knew that everyone staredt to notice her, not as Nara but as “The Girl Who Messes Up Everything” She hated that name, she wanted to get rid of that name by trying to become invisible, again.

“Hey… Why are you hiding?” a guy poked her shoulder when she was peeking through her locker. She was surprised and her head hit the locker.

“God, you scared me!” she exclaimed. She rubbed her head and closed her locker.

“Sorry…” he said with a chuckle.  

“Umm… Who are you?” she asked, trying to make sure if this guy really wanted to talk to her.

“I’m Jungkook. I’m new here and I’m kinda lost. Would you show me around?” he asked with a smile on his face.  

“Okay… Sure.” She nodded and walked by his side. When they were walking Nara didn’t try to start a conversation or bother to look at him.

“You didn’t tell your name,” he said trying to start a conversation since the awkward silence has been so, well awkward.

 

She smiled and looked at him. “I’m Nara. Ki-- Park Nara” she stated and looked away. She didn’t want to change her surname, because it reminded her of Taehyung.

 

“You know we’ve passed by a lot of rooms and you didn’t even say anything about them” He explained hoping that Nara would speak up a little.

“Those rooms are not important…” she sighed heavily.

“Are you okay? You look so down…” he stated and looked at her. Nara stopped walking and stared at her feet.  

“You shouldn’t be around me…” she said. “I mean, I’m not the type of person you want to hang out with. I’m sorry, but I gotta go” she explained and walked away.

 

She left Jungkook in the hallway alone and went to her next class.

 

At lunch, she sat at her usual seat and ate as fast as she could, but before she could finish ,Jungkook came by and sat in front of her, with his tray of food.

 

“Is it so hard to understand?” she sighed heavily. “I told you shouldn’t hang around me” she said, but Jungkook was busy eating his food deliciously.

“They’re looking. Can you please just go away?” she exclaimed and furrowed her eyebrows.

“Who’s looking?” he asked simply.

“Them!” she stated.

“Who?” he asked and turned his head around. He saw Jein and her friends who were staring at them and they immediately looked away. “Don’t mind them.” He stated.

“You’re new here. You don’t know anything…” she sighed heavily.

 

“Who’s the creepy guy?” Taehyung asked when he came into the room, but Nara didn’t respond.

 

That night, Nara silenced herself when Taehyung was around. Tired of fighting and tired of arguing. Taehyung played loud rock music and made Nara lose her concentration when she was studying. She sighed heavily and opened the door.

 

His mom suddenly came to their room.

 

“Turn it off, Taehyung it’s passed nine already.” She shouted because the music was too loud for him to hear.

 

Taehyung turned off the music abruptly and threw himself to the bed.

 

“Using my mom against me? Nice.” He commented. “So, are you really going to give me this silent treatment? If yes, until when?” he rolled over the bed and stood up. “Because I feel like I’m talking to a deaf person…” he said as he slammed the bathroom door.

 

I rather keep everything to myself. Since, you won’t listen and you said you want me to stay away from you. Be careful what you wish for, Taehyung.

 

“Hi, Nara” Jungkook greeted.

“Hi, umm… What are you doing here?” she asked making sure that Jein or her friends were not around.

“I wanted to wait for you, we have first period together…” he said trying to get her attention because she kept looking for someone. “Umm... Who are you looking for?” he asked.

“No one.” She sighed knowing that they were not around. “Look, I told you once about this don't make me say it again”

“Say what?”

“Not to hang around me. Look, sooner or later you’ll get in trouble. As a new kid just avoid that kind of thing and hang out with someone else instead.” She explained.

“I can hang with anyone I want. It doesn't matter anyway…” he explained and took her bag from her grasp.

“Hey, where are you going? Give it back!” she exclaimed.

“We have first period together remember?” he walked towards the first class.

“From all the students here. Why does it have to be me?” Nara asked at lunchtime.

“Just because… Why do you doubt me? I won’t leave you if that's what you want.” He stated in a mouthful.

“No. That’s not what I meant…” she sighed.

“You know what? We’ll be best friend. I will stay by your side, I’ve been observing you for the past few days, you don't really have a lot of friends—“

“Thanks for pointing that out” she stated and rolled her eyes.

“No, that's not what I meant.” He sighed trying to make her understand. “I mean they’re not loyal to you and I will start to be one of your loyal friends” He said with a smile.

“You’re my only friend though, I mean I don't have anyone so technically you're my one and only friend” she sighed.

“Don't feel down! I’ll cheer you up from now on. We’ll become best friends and best friends help each other” he stated and finished his last bite.

“Thank you. No one has ever said that to me before and I hope you keep your word…” she smiled.

 

Although Nara was thankful to have him as a friend she still didn't trust him, because betraying comes later. She wanted to make sure that Jungkook did want to be with her and didn't mean anything else.

 

Taehyung arrived home late, because of extra class. When he went to his room, there was a loud music blaring from inside. He noticed that this isn’t his song, so it must’ve been Nara’s. He went inside quietly making sure that Nara didn't notice him coming in.

 

Sadly, Nara saw him and stopped the music abruptly, but Taehyung got a chance to see that Nara was dancing and jumping on the bed, like a little girl in a wonderland. Nara jumped out of the bed and immediately sat down. It was the first time that Taehyung saw her smiling in joy, like nothing mattered.


“Hey, why are you stopping?” he asked with a light smile on his face.

“Because you’re here” she stated with a blank face stamped on her face.

“HA! I made you talk. Don't let my presence bothering you; if you didn't stop I’d probably join you. Too bad though” he said throwing his bag to the bed.

“Whatever…” she sighed heavily and went to her table to study.

“Really? Are you really going to avoid me by studying? You know in real life no one wants to study. I know you’d dance rather than study, although I’m not sure what you’re studying since it’s already at the end of the semester” he explained.

“Fine.” Nara dropped her book and turned her chair around. “What do you want?”

“Who’s the creepy guy?” he asked making himself comfortable in the bed.

“He’s not creepy and why do you care? You have a lot of fabulous friends why do you care about me? I thought we agreed to pretend not to know each other at school.” She asked without letting him talk.

“Well, were not at school anymore so, talk” he crossed him arms waiting for her answer.

 

“He’s just a friend, okay. Why are you jealous?” she asked him.

“Jealous? Please, there are tons of stuff that I can do and why should be jealous?” he asked her back. “And no, I’m not jealous” he stated.

 

Taehyung went to the bathroom to take a shower, but before he closed the door Nara called him,

 

“Taehyung. Do you want to watch a movie tonight?” she asked hoping that he’d say yes.

“Yeah, sure. Why not?” he said giving a light nod.

 

She prepared the popcorn and the movie, while waiting for Taehyung to take his shower. After a few minutes, he went outside, without his shirt on, Nara couldn’t take her eyes off of him.

 

“What are you looking at?” Taehyung asked.

 

Nara snapped out from her mind and answered.

 

“Nothing. Just, why are you taking so long?” she asked.

“I need it” he stated and sat next to her. “Did something happened to you today? You seem different” he asked.

 

Nara pressed the play button and took the popcorn.

 

“Taehyung, I can be happy when I want to. I don't like being all moody every time. I’ll tell you one thing though; something did happen today…” she smiled to herself.

“Is it about a guy?” he asked while predicting her answer that it’s about a guy.

“Why would you like to know?” she asked and focused on the movie.

“Just give me the popcorn” he stated and took the popcorn bowl from her hand.

 

It was past midnight when the movie ended. Both Nara and Taehyung were asleep, they forgot to turn off the TV and left it on the whole night. Without noticing Nara put her head in Taehyung’s shoulder and he put his head on hers.

 

That night, Nara felt her heart was at peace.