Chapter 23

Don't Marry Me

Exposed

It wasn't that late yet, but Nara decided to rest earlier and maybe take a long bath. She prepared the hot water and took one of the bath bombs that the hotel provided. She waited until the bathtub is nearly full but when she was about to go take a dip, someone knocked on the door. She had to take out her leg and put her bathrobe on again. She walked outside and opened the door.

 

“Hey, honey!” Her mom greeted, along with Taehyung’s mother.

“Mom, what are you doing here?” she asked, looking at her hands because she was holding a big black box with a pink bow on it.

“We’re celebrating our 100th day-a-versary, you and Taehyung and our company!” she said excitedly.

“100th day?” she raised an eyebrow; “It’s been 100 days already?” 

“Yeah!” Her mom replied while getting pumped up, without Nara knowing why.

 

Nara’s mother went inside before Nara even invited her,she dropped the big black box on Nara’s bed. She called Nara to come over and close the door.

 

“Open it!” Her mom ordered happily.

“What is it?” she asked, uninterested.

“That’s why you need to open it, so you can see what it is, honey.” Her mom replied simply.

“Oh, you’re going to love it. We've spent hours looking for the perfect one!” added Taehyung’s mom.

 

Nara was worried about the thing inside that box, but looking at both mothers expecting from her so much, she couldn't bare to be sarcastic or cynical about it. She pulled one of the ribbon’s edges, until the bow was undone. She took the cover and saw a mini black dress covered with a transparent white plastic, to make sure that it stays in its best shape.

 

“This is your dress for the party tonight!” her mom exclaimed, looking at her daughter’s expression who was blank and dumbfounded.

“What?!” Nara blurted immediately.

“Oh!” Her mom was shocked with her sudden reply, “What’s wrong, honey?”

“Nothing…” she tried calm down and the same time forgetting what was she worried about.

“Well, we’ll meet in the Grand Hall okay?” her mom instructed, “Wait for Taehyung too.”

 

Nara didn't say much and nodded to pretty much everything they we’re saying. She took a rather fast shower and drained the hot water that she had prepared for her relaxation. She blow-dried her hair naturally, so it looked a bit wavy. She dolled herself up, she didn't really understand how to do those professional makeups, so she did as much as she knew. She put on the dress along with the high heels that Taehyung mother gave as a ”little” gift. She looked at the mirror as a finishing touch before she headed out.

 

She thought that she looked prettier tonight than ever before. Feeling proud about her limited skills in “professional” makeup, she walked outside trying to look confident; since the hallway was empty she tried a little bit of a catwalk. Pretending that the numbered doors were the audience, laughing by herself because she noticed the security camera in the corner. She continued walking confidently until, Taehyung came out and bumped into her.

 

“Seriously!” Taehyung who was falling right in his , “Watch where you’re going!” he shouted, while rubbing his where it hurts most.

“Sorry, who told you to walk out just like that?” Nara complained.

 

Taehyung stood up and saw Nara in her mini dress and party look. He was speechless; he looked at her from head to toe without missing any single detail;

 

“What are you staring at?” she asked, while raising an eyebrow and walked towards the elevator.

“I wasn't staring.” Taehyung replied in the same tone.

 

He wanted to stare at her longer, he wanted to look at her face, but then his eyes would end up looking at hers. So he decided to trail her from behind, he never noticed how breathtaking her back view is, since her back was bare and her hair was divided into two sides in front of her shoulders. The elevator dinged and they went inside, it was a rather quiet ride. They arrived at the lobby in a few seconds;

 

“Ladies first.” He held the elevator’s door and let her through.

 

Nara on the other hand found his actions really weird and out of the blue.

 

“O—okay…” she replied simply. 

 

On the other hand her parent were already inside the Grand Hall, listening to a few speeches and meeting with their friends from the company. Everyone was seated at their designated tables, the event was playing a video about Taehyung’s and Nara’s parents company and everyone was told to eat and order food they wanted to eat.

 

“Good evening, I’m Jeon Jungkook and I’ll be your waiter for tonight. Please ask me if you need anything.” Jungkook came in full tuxedo and a bottle of wine in one hand.

“Umm… Yeah, we’d like to eat the chef’s recommendation for tonight.” Taehyung’s mother ordered simply.

“Chef’s recommendation coming right up!” Jungkook dashed off to the kitchen counter, doing his job diligently.

 

Nara and Taehyung came in a few seconds later and they sat in middle between their parents, while waiting for the video to finish. Jungkook came to their table because he forgot to serve the wine. Nara noticed that Jungkook was coming towards their table and immediately covering her face the menu list.

 

“Would you like some wine?” Jungkook asked, while trying to look at the lady who was covering her face with the menu list.

 

She definitely looked familiar. Why does she have Nara’s aura around her? God, what am I saying? Of course, it’s not her maybe I’m just no thinking straight.

 

Jungkook didn't want to be those nosy waiter, so he left but he still felt like he knew the person he just encountered. He walked towards the kitchen counter to check if his orders were ready and at the same time the MC came to the stage, announcing another event;

 

“This night is not only special for both companies, but also for their children as well, who sealed the deal and to make sure that these companies are one creating a new future together.” The MC explained without feeling guilty.

 

“What is he talking about?” Nara asked after listening to announcement, “Mom!” Nara begged. Sometimes she hated the idea that her mom planned the whole thing without telling her what was going to happen.

“Wait, just listen.” Her mom replied simply.

 

Silent took over the place as the MC kept the tension up and made his announcements.

 

“Let’s give our hands for the newlyweds; Taehyung and Nara for their 100th day-aniversary!” the MC started clapping and soon the whole crowd joined in.

 

Both Taehyung and Nara were surprised about this, they didn't expect that their secret would be exposed in the public like this. Especially, when Nara knew that Jungkook was there, he’d probably saw the whole thing. Everyone waited for them to stand up, but neither of them moved they were both are still frozen from the unexpected announcement.

 

Taehyung, as a man, he decided to make the first move and stood up. He smiled to the crowd and bowed a few times. He tapped Nara’s shoulders a few times, so that she would snap out of her thoughts. Finally, she stood up and did the same thing as Taehyung; he grabbed her hands and put it in his arms, linked in and led her up to the stage. The MC stepped aside and gave them a standing mic, so they can do a short speech.

 

“Umm… I—we don't exactly know what to say, but I think we’re getting along just fine even though we disagree on mostly anything at first—but yeah, I think we can get along. I didn't like her at first, but I’m starting to—maybe I’ve liked her already…” Taehyung explanation is making the crowd go wild. “Doesn't she look beautiful tonight?”

 

On the other hand Nara was surprised;

 

Is he telling the truth or is that what he wanted the audience to hear?

 

She gazed at him, trying to see if his sincere or not. The room was filled with “Aww…” and whistles. Taehyung smiled and nodded, as a final touch Taehyung pulled Nara closer and he also leaned in, until his lips touches her cheek. Nara’s eyes bulged, she blushed but at the same time she wanted to punch him in the gut, but since they were on stage she couldn’t do anything or she would embarrass herself and her parents.

 

“Kiss him back!” one of the audiences shouted and then everyone started clapping.

 

Taehyung looked at her and tapped his cheek twice, telling her to do the same thing as him. She looked at him, with her eyes full of worries; she bit her lips because she was nervous. She leaned in slowly, hoping that the audience would stop cheering. She didn't want to make this longer so she kissed Taehyung’s cheek as fast as a lightning, but the audience could see the lipstick mark on Taehyung’s cheek clearly. The audience cheered and clapped until finally they     were back on their seat.

 

Nara smiled nervously, she looked around to see the audiences reaction but then she stop at midpoint, because she saw Jungkook, who was watching everything with his arms crossed. Nara was surprised; she totally forgot that Jungkook was there the whole time, she didn't notice because the audience gave her too much pressure. She’s worried about his feelings, because no one was supposed to know about the marriage thing. She shook her head trying to make Jungkook understand; that this is not what it looks like.

 

The MC told them to go back to their seat and enjoy the rest of the party, Nara wanted to leave the hall and catch up to Jungkook, who left the room after their “show” was finished, but her mom told her to be a good girl and stay for one night. It was already past midnight when the event was over, Nara headed back straight to her hotel room and threw herself to bed without cleaning off her makeup or changing into her pajamas.

 

The next morning she woke up earlier than she used to, she didn't change out of her mini black dress, but took her jacket to cover up her . She went straight to the poolside bar where Jungkook had his shift. She looked around to find him, but there only two people who are standing by on the bar.

 

“Excuse me?” Nara called one of the bartenders.

“Yes. What would like to order?” The bartender replied simply.

“Umm… No, I don't want to order, but can I ask where’s Jungkook is?”

“Oh, the part-timer?” he asked to confirm her question and Nara nodded in response. “He quit last night and left early this morning.” He said while sweeping the table in front of her.

“He—he quit?”