Chapter 34

Don't Marry Me

Sworn Enemies

Nara pulled her hand away from his face and looked down, because she couldn't face him looking so sad.

“Jungkook you came to me as a friend—you came when I had no one.” She sighed trying to make a sentence to explain to him. “You came to me when my heart was broken and the pieces were all over the place—you’re the one who helped me gather all the pieces…”

“But you love him. You wanted to get over him, but you can’t. He rejected you in such a cold way; I don't understand why you still like him, I thought that I could be with you—“

“Jungkook—“ Nara tried to make him stop, but he kept going.

“It hurts to be with you, but also when you aren't around, Nara.” He looked down, avoiding her eyes, “I thought that I could win over him, but then I realized your heart was in his grasp all along.” He laughed to himself, feeling so stupid that he wanted to play his part after all this time.

“Jungkook, I like you—I do, but—“

“Don't say it.” He stopped her, “I’d rather be curious to what you’re about to say than having to deal with the pain later.” He took his bag and left her, he stopped before he stepped out of the classroom, “Do me a favor, forget what I said just now—I sound too sappy.” He laughed lightly and was out of her sight in a second.

 

Two days later, the teachers gave them application forms for college to help them to get in or consult them on where to go. Nara hadn't figured it out—she didn't always think that she’d be going for college, so she never thought where. The teachers told the students to submit this application by next week; maybe it’d give her time to think about it. On the other hand Jungkook was scribbling on his form, it seemed like he already knew where he was going. Nara looked at him from her desk, she wanted to ask him a question about college, but it’s better if they don't speak for a while she thought.

 

“So, do you know where you’re going for college, Nara?” Jungkook asked and he looked into her eyes, she didn't see any pain or sadness in his eyes and it caught her off guard, because she thought that Jungkook wouldn't want to talk to her, but he did.

 

“I don't know—I haven’t thought about it yet.” Nara replied, covering her paper with her hands.

“Well, I’m sure you’re going somewhere great.” He replied and left his seat, submitting his paper to the teacher.

 

“Already? Are you sure you don't want to check it again and think thoroughly?” the teacher asked handing him back his paper.

“Nope. I’m sure.” He smiled and left the teacher hanging.

“Jungkook, meet me after school today, okay?” the teacher ordered and Jungkook nodded in response.

 

Nara went home that day, she was sitting in front of her desk, tapping the desk with her pencil, she kept thinking about where she should go for college and what does she want to do in the future, but she had no idea. Taehyung arrived a little bit later than her; he threw his bag on the floor and approached her.

 

“What are you so busy staring at?” Taehyung asked, dragging a chair and sat in front of her.

“Nothing.” She pulled back the paper hiding it away from him.

“College Application?” he asked, as her hand didn’t cover the title.

“Yeah…” she sighed, pulling it out since she’d been caught anyway.

 

It had been really awkward ever since Taehyung kissed her and then she doesn't really understand what they are now, but Taehyung was acting like nothing happened, so Nara didn't really know how to adjust to this.

 

“You don't know where you’re going to go or wha—?”

“Are you sure you about choosing me, Taehyung?” she asked, looking down while playing with her fingers, she’s couldn't look into his eyes, afraid of his response.

 

Taehyung came closer and pulled her close, hugging her between his arms and her hair a few times, but he didn't say anything.

 

“I know why you like her—your girl friend I mean, Jein. She’s pretty, outgoing, smart, has a great body and she’s everything I’m not.” She pushed his hands away from her. “Now, I understand why you rejected me that day, of course I was selfish and full of myself when I thought you would like me back—I mean you shouldn't like me, I know my place, I’m not as great or as majestic as her.” She scoffed to herself.

 

“Wow, I’m surprised. I didn't know you looked at her that way and she’s not as great as you think.” Taehyung replied, “To me, you are more than enough.” He smiled.

“Don't say that.” She stated, she stood up and walked towards the bed, Taehyung followed her and hugged her from behind; Nara was surprised, as she couldn't take another step forward.  

 

The next day Taehyung bumped into Jungkook and Jungkook asked if they could talk in the rooftop for a while, Taehyung followed him and waited for him to say what he wanted to say.

 

“Are you serious about Nara?” he asked.

“Yes.”

“Because, you can’t just play with her feelings and throw her away the next day.”

“I know.”

“Huh, I don't get it.” Jungkook laughed to himself.

“What?”

“I don't get why she likes you. I obviously took care of her better than you did and yet she still likes you—she lingers around you when you’re not looking, she pretends to be okay around you when she’s not. Still she can’t see me as a man, no matter how hard you’ll always be number one in her heart and I just hope that she is too in yours.” Jungkook let out all of his thoughts that he had been keeping, relieved that they were finally out.

 

“She is.” Taehyung replied.

“Okay—well, I just wanted to make sure you guys are mutual and I hope I won’t have to pick up the pieces of her heart anymore, because it’s despairing.” Jungkook walked past Taehyung and headed to the stairs.

 

“Thank you, Jungkook.” Taehyung stated, stopping Jungkook from taking a step. “For being there for her when I couldn't and for picking up the pieces that I broke.”

“It wasn't for you—it was for her.”

“Oh, well—still, I’d like to thank you.”

“Your welcome, I guess.” Jungkook replied and finally headed downstairs.

 

Nara on the other hand was in the locker, picking up the books needed for two periods ahead when Jungkook came by. To her, Jungkook looked swell; there’s no sadness in his eyes, nothing resembling that he was hurt the other day.

 

“Hi, Jungkook.” She greeted.

“Hey, ready for Algebra?” he asked.

“Jungkook, I’m never going to be ready for anything related to calculating of numbers and letters.” She laughs, trying no to bring up anything about his feelings.  

“True. Shall we?” he offered her an arm.

“We shall.” She took him by his arm and headed towards their next class.

 

When the teacher was explaining Nara was looking at Jungkook the whole time, she was surprised that Jungkook could let things go so easily, although Nara had a lot of things to say to him, she didn't know where to start or how to convey it to him, but when she wanted to say something, nothing could come out of .

 

“Now, Nara what is the answer to this equation?” the teacher asked and the whole class stared at her.

“Huh?” Nara was dumbfounded because she didn't listen to the teacher.

“I’ll give you ten seconds to think, if not you’ll be spending the rest of the class outside with your hand raised above your head.” The teacher walked around to check the students’ answers.

 

When suddenly Jungkook whispered to her.

 

“The answer is three x plus nine.” Jungkook raised an eyebrow signaling her to say the answer.

“Oh, I got it—it’s three x plus nine!” Nara shouted the answer and the teacher turned his head around.

 

He nodded his head, “Good work, Jungkook.” He stated and turned his head to Nara, “You really should pay attention in class, now get out!”

 

Nara flinched and dragged herself out of the class, she stood on her knees and raised both of her arms above her head, and thanked God it was only a few more minutes for the class to be dismissed. Her arms started to get weary and the class somehow longer than usual, when suddenly Jein walked out from the toilet and she looked away because she didn't want to wake the lioness. Unfortunately, Jein saw her and approached her.

 

“What’s your damage?” Jein scoffed crossing her arms around her, acting all superior even though they’re in the same grade.

“Nothing.”

“I have a proposition for you.”

“Do I want to know?” Nara asked.

“Maybe, it’s regarding you having a peaceful life and of course, Taehyung.” Jein replied.

“Then I don't want to know.” Nara avoided eye contact with her, with her knees on the ground and arms above her head.

 

It didn't stop Jein, but it triggered her to finish what she came to say.

“I want you to divorce Taehyung.” Jein stated.

“What?”

“You heard me, divorce him and I might stop terrorizing you.”

“I can’t divorce him.

“You can’t or you won’t?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Both!” she stood up, forgetting her punishment from the teacher. “It’s not like I wanted this marriage. I had enough of people controlling my life; my parents, his parents, and now you? No!”

“Are you sure about that? Cause I can do more than just break your ankle.” She explained.

 

Nara didn't understand about what’s she’s talking about, then it hit her, the broken ankle, the hospital she woke up at and the sight of the forest when she played the paintball. She knew she didn't trip, she remembered that she felt someone’s hand was in her shoulder and that’s when she lost her balance then fell down from the hill.

 

“You’re the one who pushed me.” Nara just came to realize after all this time.

“Duh! It’s started when you decided to color my hair with acrylic paint; it took me five days just to get rid of the color. Oh, and don't tell me you never thought of how that ankle of yours got broken?”

“What? I wasn't the one who painted your hair with acrylic, I don't even have those things.”

“Sure.” She scoffed, “Go ahead and lie.”

“I’m not lying!”

 

The bell rang when she wanted to explain, students starts coming out of their classes and Jein disappeared along with the crowd. Jungkook came with her bag in his shoulder, he saw that Jein was there and he saw Nara as her expression turned bitter.

 

“You okay?” he asked handing her bag back to her.

“Yeah.” She replied simply.

 

Just like that, Jungkook knew she was lying, again.