Chapter 37

Don't Marry Me

Deep Breaths

“I just hope you’ll do it quickly, you know, before things get worse.” Jein added right before the bell ring, it’s like she can predict what happens next, making her able to have the last words to every conversation.

 

Nara cringed in fright, she wanted to stand up for herself, but Jein—her reputation is unbelievable, well he father is one of the well-known prosecutor in town and well not just her, but the majority of kids in school are afraid of her because of that reputation. Once a student was expelled from school, because she accidentally dropped her water bottle and rolled into Jein’s feet and she stepped on it, making her lose balance and fell down and sprained her wrist. Nara didn't want to end up with the same place as her, but it doesn't mean that she have to obey her request.

 

“Hey, Nara do you want to study together for tomorrow’s pop quiz?” Jungkook proposed.

“Yeah, sure. I’ll see you after school then.”

“Okay, great.”

 

She needed every possible distraction from the thoughts of Jein’s terror, because she thought that Jein was just being childish, because Jein was thinking about this case in a short term and she is not convinced that she wanted to be with Taehyung because she loves him, but because he is popular and so is she, so she must want to keep her status as the “power couple” of the school and on the other side, school is ending in a few month and then what? What will Jein do then?

 

She saw Taehyung before school and thought that he might come home late, so she decided to go home with Jungkook instead and they were also going to study together.

 

“So, do you need—umm want something? I got chocolate milk, orange juice—“ Nara asked, while ransacking the fridge.

 

“Water’s fine.” He smiled.

 

“Okay, just wait in the living room. I’ll get some snack too.” She pointed to the room down the hall and Jungkook walked towards into that direction. He sat on the floor and took out the textbooks related to the quiz. Nara headed to the living and set the table, with cookies, sweets and drinks.  

 

She took out the books and stationaries needed and they both stars to study for the quiz tomorrow, reviewing the topics that will be assessed tomorrow. An hour later, Taehyung arrived and went straight to upstairs, but then he felt there’s an uninvited guest, lurking around. He took a few steps back, enough to peek into the living room and squinted his eyes. Jungkook was there and so is Nara, together—alone.

 

“Uh… what are you guys doing?” Taehyung asked, entering the living room with his point fingers, pointing at them.

“We’re studying…” Nara replied, with her eyes stays focus in her notebook.

“I see.” Taehyung replied and sat on the couch, looking down at them with his arms crossed, tapping one of his feet on the floor waiting for them to react.

 

“What?” Nara asked, slowly turning her head towards his direction.

“Nothing.” He shrugs, “I’m just sitting.” He raised an eyebrow, judging them both hoping that the gap between their bodies would be a little bit wider.

“Okay, then.” Nara replied and continues to do her work.

 

Taehyung was not comfortable at all, he wanted to head upstairs and change, take a shower, but he feels if he leave them even one second, Jungkook is going to do something to her, of course—this is just Taehyung wildest imagination that occurs when he’s “paranoid.” On the other hand, Nara was also feeling uncomfortable, because even though she’s trying hard to ignore the facts that she feels a bit creep out that Taehyung was watching her nonstop has made her spine tingle and not only that he also stays in one position, watching her every move like a hawk.

 

“Okay, what are you doing? You know you can go upstairs and do what ever you want right? Or maybe go to the kitchen—grab a snack maybe?” Nara snapped, but she kept her tone in place.

“Oh, I know.” He blinked lazily, with a forced and sarcasm smile.

“Then, why are you sitting there like a person with a body Botox?” she asked with her face crumpled, getting more and more irritated by his actions.

“Am I?” he was reacted extreme flustered, “I—I am not, I—I’m watching the television.” Taehyung pointed at the still, black, screen.

“It’s not even on.” Nara rolled her eyes.

“Right!” he exclaimed, “The pictures is made in my imagination.”

 

Jungkook couldn't help, but knowing the tension that’s building up, so he decided to clear the desk and pack up. He stood up and smiles, that’s when Nara and Taehyung stopped their bickering.

 

“I think I have to go.” Jungkook stated.

“What? Why? We still got a lot of things to cover!” Nara replied, shifting her attention to Jungkook.

“No, it’s fine—I can do it on my own and it seems you already have a partner.” Jungkook eyed Taehyung and looked away.

“But—“ Nara tried to hold Jungkook back, but he refused.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Nara.” Jungkook walk himself to the door and left silently.

 

Nara sighed heavily and turned to Taehyung.

 

“Look what you made him do.” Nara bent down and cleaned up the table, closing her books and putting the textbooks in one place, picking it up in her arms and head upstairs.

 

“Hey, let me bring that.” Taehyung offered.

“No, thank you. I had enough.” Nara replied. “Of your doings…” she said under her breath.

 

They entered their room and Nara grabbed her towel.

 

“Why do you have to do that Taehyung?” Nara turned to him, “He’s my best friend and he’s the only friend I got. Please just make exceptions for him.”

“He’s your best friend, who have feelings for you—deep feelings.” Taehyung looked away.

“Wait—are you, could you possibly—“

“Possibly what?” he asked.

 

Nara took a step closer every second and put the towel away from the shoulder. Giving Taehyung a smile that makes him flustered.

 

“Jealous.” She stated, with bright smile all over her face. “Could Kim Taehyung, be jealous?”

“Jealous?” Taehyung blows raspberry, “I am not jealous.”

 

She raised an eyebrow; it was written all over his face that he doesn't particularly like Jungkook when he’s around Nara.

 

“I just feel that you shouldn't be alone with him, you know, he could do something bad when you least expected, you know.” He elaborated his reasons, so he would sound so defenseless.

“Trust me he is far more than that—and how can you think so low of him? Just admit it you’re jealous!”

 

Taehyung raised both of his hands and sighed heavily, “Okay, fine. I might be slightly jealous.”

“Why?” she asked, emphasizing her question.

“Don't you know that—that guy lingers around you all the time.” He replied.

“Are you stalking me? Are you actually stalking me?” Nara asked, she feels somehow Taehyung are started to have mutual feelings with her and it somehow it feels nice to have someone saying sweet things that makes her heart flutters and beats unbelievably fast. Listening to his answer makes her legs go weak, but she tries so hard no to.

 

“I’m not stalking you, why should I? I mean, occasionally I see you around, but that’s it.”  He replied, brushing it off easily.

“I see. Well, just tell me if you don't like feel heavy hearted when he’s around.” She replied and entered the bathroom.

 

Next day at school, Nara arrived a bit earlier than usual to finish her review last night, on the way to the classroom she saw Jungkook and decided to say hi—maybe he also would like to finish the review together.

 

“Jungkook! Good morning.” Nara waved from afar.

“Oh, hey. Good morning to you too.” He smiled, closing the locker in front of him and wait for her to come by.

“Should we go and continue where we left off?” She asked.

“Oh, you need the review?” He asked making sure and Nara replied with a nod. “Didn't you finish it with Taehyung last night?”

“Hmm… No, I didn't.” she shrugs and walked a step faster than him, so that he couldn't see her face. 

 

Nara tried to think about other things to distract her thought with and then her eyes met Jein, who was walking towards the girl’s bathroom, leading her followers wherever she may go. It hit, her and Jein’s words starts to ring into her ear again.

 

“Jungkook, can I ask you something?” Nara asked, turning back to Jungkook with her face full of worries and looks down, as she feels nauseous. 

“Yeah, sure.” He replied with a smile, but when he saw her face he turned bitter as well. “You don't look so good, what’s wrong?” he took a step closer to look at her face.

“I—I think I’m going to be sick.” Nara ran to the nearest restroom and barfed, then her head stars to get dizzy, she flushed the toilet and wash up, when she left the restroom, Jungkook was waiting on the other side of the hall.

“Are you okay?” he asked, with his face full of worries.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I just don't feel so good.”

“Do want to skip first period and head to clinic, we can head back at third period and do the quiz if you’d like?” Jungkook suggested.

Nara nodded and replied, “Genius!”

 

Jungkook escorted her to the clinic and took her textbook from her so she could lie down.

 

“Did you anything weird last night?” he asked, asking general questions that could have made her throw up in the morning.

“No, I didn't.” she replied simply.

“Did you eat breakfast this morning? Was it already expired?” he asked.

She shakes her head, “No, to both question.”

“Then, what could’ve triggered you to throw up like that?”

“I have no idea.” She replied, trying to think a reason for herself. Suddenly, the image of Jein struck her head and her face starts to get all fuzzy. “I get very, very, very nauseous when I’m in under a lot of pressure, when someone ask me to do things and those things are impossible for me to do and they kept expecting me to do it and if I don't do it—“ she didn't finish her sentence and cross her index finger in , slitting it. “I know this, because I remember when I was young I had a moments when people are so expectant of me.”

 “Did someone ask you to do something?” Jungkook tries to comfort, hoping his presence and being a shoulder to lean on for her is enough.

 

Nara nodded in reply to his question.