Chapter 35

Don't Marry Me

Study Buddy

On the way home from school, Nara’s thoughts was still drawn back into Jein’s threat, she remembered how painful it was when her ankle was broken, when every step she took was a milestone that she had to overcome. Finally, she arrived in front of her house, looking up to where Taehyung was, she remembered how he pulled her into his arms and kissed her when she least expected, when she look up Taehyung was already gone. She went inside and Taehyung opened the door before Nara did.

 

“Whoa!” Nara exclaimed, as she missed the doorknob.

“Hey.” Taehyung took a step closer as he hugged her, “I’m so glad you’re home!”

“Hmm?” Nara was surprised and didn't understand with his sudden attack. “I always come home.”

“Here.” He took her backpack and put it on his shoulder and the he took her hand as they walked towards their room.

 

They entered the room and Nara closed the door. They stopped and Nara looked at their hands, which were still clasped together.

 

“Taehyung, what are you doing?” she asked, Taehyung turned around and looked straight into her eyes.

“I know it’s been awkward since—since I kissed you that night and I just want you to know; I love you and I’ll be more than happy if I can say that again without hesitation.”

 

Nara was surprised with Taehyung’s action.

 

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, tomorrow I’m going to tell the school that I’m married to you.” Taehyung replied.

“What?” Nara didn't know if she was supposed to be happy or not. “Are you sure that’s a good idea? I mean—what about Jein?”

“What about her?”

“She’s your girlfriend, you can’t suddenly say that to the public.”

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

“What?”

“I broke up with her.”

“What?”

“I said I broke up with her.” Taehyung restated.

“Why?”

“Do I really need to say it?” Nara didn't want him to answer, but he did anyway, “Because I love you.”

 

Her heart beat faster, and the more he said the words “I love you,” the weaker she got and she couldn't look straight into his eyes, looking down to avoid his eyes. Taehyung kept looking at her, waiting for her to look back at him; but she was good at hiding her eyes from him. Seeing that she didn't want to look at him, he let her hand go and went outside.

 

Deep inside for Taehyung, saying those three words was not easy as he had never been in love before, of course he had Jein, but all that time he never loved her, it was just that everyone said that they looked great together that’s why he started going out with her with that reason, yes, he had kissed her, hugged her and done stuff any normal couple would do, but he was never in love with her. On the other hand, with Nara he started to get mixed feelings, feelings that he thought never existed, feelings that he thought would never occur to him. Now, he understood why his friends were having a hard time when it came to girls.

 

Nara took a quick shower and headed downstairs for a cup of hot chocolate, looking out the window, rain started to pour down turning the breezy night into a freezing night, which was why hot chocolate was the perfect match for a time like this. She went to the kitchen counter taking her usual cup and poured in five spoonfuls of chocolate milk powder. Waiting for the water to heat up, she opened the window and enjoyed the way the wind blew across her face, listening to the light sound of rain that hit the grass in the backyard. A few minutes later the water was ready, she closed the window and went back to make her chocolate milk. She went to the living room and wanted to watch some show to accompany her, but Taehyung was already there occupying the comfy space that she imagined was her spot. 

 

In the end she sat on the other side of the couch, but when Taehyung saw Nara coming he sat up.

 

“What’s that?” Taehyung asked, curious about what was inside the cup. 

“Chocolate milk.” She replied, with both hands holding the cup, getting the warmth from it.

“Can I have some?” he asked.

“Umm, yeah sure.” She handed him the cup and Taehyung sipped without blowing it down, making his tongue burn. He shook the cup as he was surprised, and spilt the hot chocolate onto his hand.

 

“Ouch!” he exclaimed, shoving the cup to the table.

“Whoa! Are you okay?” Nara took his hand and blew on it a few times to make the sting go away.

 

Their faces were inches away from each other, only their hands were in between the empty gap. After blowing his hands a few times, Nara looked up and her face was so close to his, sinking herself in his eyes; she wanted to look away, but she couldn’t. Her heart started to beat faster, she wanted to run away and hide, but her mind couldn't control her body as Taehyung was looking back at her. He started to lean closer slowly, with his gaze fixed on hers making sure that she didn't know that he was moving. Pulling her hand, that was holding him, lower, so that he could reach her, knowing this gesture Nara closed her eyes shut, waiting for something that she expected.

 

Taehyung giggled lightly, when he saw her react. It was cute and adorable he thought, then he made a sudden turn and kissed her cheek instead. It wasn't what Nara was expecting and yet she was still startled when he did that.

 

Taehyung’s mom barged into the living room, when she saw they were getting along. She smiled and Taehyung was trying not to blush because he was embarrassed.

 

“What are you guys doing?” she asked, she raised an eyebrow as her pace slowed; waiting for their response.

“Nothing, mom. We’re just discussing homework.” Taehyung laughed, trying to brush it off, hoping his mom would just let it go.

 

Mrs. Kim squinted her eyes, suspecting something, but decided to let it go. “Well, I’m going to the coffee shop to meet a friend, I’ve made some cookies in the kitchen. Don't forget to eat some.” Mrs. Kim took the cars keys and left as soon as possible.

 

Knowing she had left, Nara stood up and offered her hand to Taehyung.

 

“Speaking of homework, c’mon!”

“I was joking…” he answers, with his eyebrows collected in the middle, because he was not in the mood to do any homework.

“C’mon. Don't you have that math homework to submit tomorrow?” she asked, and begging him at the same time.

“How do you know I have a math homework to be submitted tomorrow?” he asked.

“Uh, umm—lucky guess?” she replied, nervously.

 

Actually, Nara knew everything about his schedule and tasks. She had been paying attention to his daily activities at school, so knowing that he had something to do was a piece of cake for her to find out. She thought it was kind of creepy to do this kind of thing, but then she did it because that was the only thing she could do go get to know him.

 

“Did you spy on me?” Taehyung with a grin.

“What? No. Please, I have better things to do than to spy on you.” Nara came up with the fastest response, yet it sound so obvious that she was paying attention to him.

"Hmm… Okay, I’ll do the homework, since I know you care so much about me until you even know about my homework.”

“Doesn't Mr. Ahn give this homework to every class? I got some too.” She stated.

“He does? Well, even if he does, I wouldn't know.”

 

They headed upstairs and work on the task that was given, without forgetting to eat the cookies from Mrs. Kim as snacks. Nara had finished all her homework and was waiting for Taehyung to finish his. She put her arms on the table and used them as a pillow, watching him as he was focusing on his work; she thought that his serious face was cute. He raised an eyebrow questioning himself to solve the complicated equation.

 

“What are you staring at?” Taehyung asked, making her snap out of her imagination.

“Nothing.” She sat up trying to hide her face from him.

“You know that you can just say that you were looking at me, right?” Taehyung giving her examples how to become cheesy when you’re in a relationship.

 

She shook her head and refused to be cheesy. Taehyung was back on doing his homework, but he was stuck on of the question and grunted in frustration.

 

“What’s wrong?” Nara asked, while eating the last cookie on the plate.

 

Taehyung looked at her and took a bite from the cookie that was almost got devoured by Nara, which makes her so surprised because his face came so close, when she least expected. 

 

“I don't understand this question, ugh!” he replied without feeling a little bit guilty of what he did.

 

Nara tried to brush it off, like he did, but she couldn't. Her heart still beats a little bit faster and it would take a few moments to calm herself down.

 

“Umm, is there anything I could do to help? Let me take se—“

“Kiss me.” Taehyung cut off her sentence.

“What?” her voice turned high-pitched as Taehyung requested his unbelievable request.

“Kiss me.” He said again, while pointing at his lips; pouting it too at the same time.

“Just let me see where you’re struggling at.” Nara replied.

“No, I’m pretty sure if you give me a kiss I’ll understand the question, just like that.” He flicked his fingers. “So, kiss me.” He pointed to his lips once again.

 

Nara hesitated, thinking if she should kiss him or not. Looking at Taehyung who seems to be desperate enough for her kiss. She took a deep breath and gave him a quick peck. Receiving the kiss Taehyung was surprised, although it was not in a way that he expected, looking at her who was melting looks cute.

 

“Thank you.” He smiled and continued his work.

 

Of course Nara, was still busy trying to calm her fast beating heart, but on the other hand; it make her feel that Taehyung and her has gone a long way and that they are much closer than they were used to. From the anonymous crush, to the horrible confession, the unexpected arranged marriage, the struggle to get along and finally to the place where Nara thought would never cease to exist in the future, the imagination that only lives in her dream was now her reality that she never expect to happen in a billion of years or maybe even in another life.

 

She rested her head on the desk, still waiting for Taehyung. Slowly, she drifted to sleep; as Taehyung was the last person she sees before she close her eyes and maybe the first person she sees when she wakes up.