Chapter 15

Don't Marry Me

Adjusting

Being released from the hospital was like getting out of jail for Nara. Finally, she could step out from the weird scent that every nurse had, it was like they were all using the same perfume. Her dad drove her home, but she didn't want to go inside,so she said she needed some time alone. Her dad told her to turn of the engine when she was finished and she nodded lightly in response.

 

“If I go inside, I have to face Taehyung…” she said to herself, while clicking the on and off button of her phone. She saw Taehyung coming out of the house and bowed her head low enough so he couldn’t see her. “See, I don't even have to go inside…” she sighed.

 

She wanted to be alone, a time just for her and let her mind take over. Usually at times like this Jungkook would come and break the silence. She wanted to feel how it was before the whole marriage thing happened, when she was invisible, unnoticed, just “the” girl that only a few people that knows her name. She thought that, maybe, what she had in the past was better than what she currently had. It was just so messed up that she didn't even know where to start.

 

Nara was so deep in thought that she didn't notice Taehyung was just outside the car looking at her through the window. He tapped his finger on the window twice to snap her out of her thoughts. She flinched and her eyes bulged. Taehyung asked her to roll the window down, with a hand gesture since he thought she might not hear him.

 

Without arguing, she stepped out of the car and locked the doors like she was told to.

 

“What were you doing?” Taehyung asked with black plastic in his hand.

“I was sitting in the car—“

“Ha! Isn’t that obvious? Yeah, I know I’m not blind. I could see you through the glass, it was so clear that I could even see the bra that you’re wearing…” he nagged.

“What? You erted jerk!” Nara exclaimed with a furrowed eyebrow.

“Joking.” Taehyung realized that what he said was offensive; he bit his lower lip as a guilt gesture.

 

Before he could say anything, she walked inside and Taehyung had to catch up.

 

“I’m joking.” He clarified once more. “I mean seriously, I could see that you were there, it’s just why does it takes so long to get out from the car?” he asked.

“This, Taehyung…”she pointed at her ankle. “And I need to use this, to walk” she emphasized on the crutches that she had to lean against to stand and sighed heavily. “Since when you care?”

“Hmm… You’re right. I don't.“ He walked past her and slammed the door, before she could enter.

 

She groaned, because she was too lazy to move, but in the end she opened the door herself. It was a Saturday afternoon, the sun is shinning not too bright and everything was just peaceful. Nara, who had a huge bandage on her ankle, decided to lie on the couch, grab some ice cream, and watch TV. She went to the refrigerator and took a spoon; her walking took two times longer than usual.

 

Finally, she could lie comfortably on the couch and turn on the TV. She put the ice cream bucket on her stomach, because the cold temperature made her feel good. There wass nothing interesting to watch on the television so she ended up watching CSI for the rest of the afternoon.

 

She was enjoying the afternoon, no noise, no complaining, no nothing. It’s just what she wanted, a lazy Saturday afternoon.

 

“What are you watching?” Taehyung asked, throwing himself onto the single couch.

 

Nara put her spoon in and pointed at the left corner of the TV. She continued eating her ice cream, hoping that she wouldn't have to pay attention to Taehyung.

 

“Can I have some of that?” Taehyung stretched his neck looking at the huge bucket on Nara’s stomach. Knowing that it was ice cream, he really want to have some.

 

She silently handed him the bucket, while keeping the spoon in .

 

“Where’s the spoon?” he asked looking at the bucket.

“Get it yourself…” Nara answered, with her gaze is locked on the television.

“Okay…” Taehyung walked towards Nara’s couch and took the spoon from .

“Hey!” Nara sat up in shock, “Give it back!” she exclaimed.

 

It was too late; Taehyung had already taken a spoonful of ice cream and shoved it into his mouth.

 

“What about me? That was mine…” she made a sad face and sighed heavily.

“Here…” Taehyung took another spoonful of ice cream and put it in front of .

“No!” she complained, “Your saliva is all over the spoon!”

 

But isn’t this an indirect kiss? No! Get a hold of yourself, don't do this!

 

“No!” she rejected once again.

“Aww… C’mon, it’s just ice cream…” he pouted and stuck the spoon newt , waiting for her to open it and eat the ice cream.

 

Without saying anything, she opened slowly and finished the ice cream in one bite.

 

“See… It was not that hard.” He laughed simply and took another bite for himself.

 

Without knowing, Taehyung and Nara were eating the ice cream from the same spoon. Taehyung was in charge of the spoon, taking it from the bucket for Nara and for himself. He didn't seem to mind what he was doing.

 

After a few bites, Nara was a bit confused with the situation.

 

“Umm… Why are you doing this?” she asked carefully, hoping that he wouldn’t answer any ridiculous things.

“I was just helping you—“

“But, I’m fine. I was eating just fine, when you came…” she explained.

“I’m just trying to be nice and to be honest, I’m tired of arguing—so just eat…” he shoved another spoon of ice cream at her.

 

With his words Nara was also tired with the whole arguing thing and nodded lightly to herself.

 

Taehyung took a peek at Nara’s wounded ankle and remembered what the doctor said a few days ago.

 

“Should—shouldn't you put ice on that?” he pointed at Nara’s ankle.

“This?”, she replied, “Maybe later, besides what can ice do to heal my leg…” she hated the fact that her leg was wounded.

“Of course, ice can do something,” he explained, “It can cool things down and it can heal people, I guess..?” he said to himself.

“Later… I’m too lazy to move…” she waved her hand and continue to watch.

“Then, eat…” Taehyung offered her another spoon.

 

Once the ice cream bucket was half empty, Taehyung closed the cap and went to put it back into the refrigerator. He came back with an icepack in his hands, hidden behind him.

 

“If you don't want to put it on yourself. I’ll put it on for you…” Taehyung stated.

“Wha—what? What are you doing?” Nara was confused, because suddenly her injured leg was being pulled onto another chair to make it straight.

“There…” Taehyung was sitting in front of her, proud of what he had done. He kept pressing the icepack around the ankle to make sure that the ice was around it.

“I think I clearly said, that I’ll do it later…” she stated.

 

Why is he being like this? I mean I like it, but it’s a bit creepy—and also weird.

 

“You don't have to do it yourself. I did the job already.” Taehyung said with a big smile plastered on his face.

“Why are you doing this? Aren’t you’re supposed to be the cold guy who doesn't like people who are less than he is.” Nara asked, trying to offend him, because he was being really weird, although she liked it—she hated it.

 

“Wow, through what glasses did you look at me with?” he choked and covered it with a laugh, with the sudden question Nara asked.

“Excuse me?” she crossed her arms, “My eye sight happens to be perfect, thank you…” she proclaimed.

“I don't like being popular—well actually I do. I mean sometimes I don't, because people expect too much from you and they have high expectations that sometimes I personally think are kinda ridiculous…” He explained.

“If you don't like it, why do you keep acting like one? Why not stop?” Nara asked, while decreasing the television volume, so she could hear Taehyung’s explanation clearly.

“What can I do? Being popular is in my bloodHe stated with his signature smirk.

“Oh my God, self-confidence much?”

“Hey, the one thing that popularity teaches you is self-confidence…” Taehyung defended himself.

“I’m just going to say what’s on my mind, because it’s confusing me,” she said lightly.

“Oh, yes please do!” Taehyung exclaimed enthusiastically.

“Why are you being nice to me?” she asked once again, because he never actually answered this question.

“I’m just trying to adjust to the situation and I want to help. It’s been a long time since I helped someone anyway…” he clarified.

“So, I’m your community service project? Helping the needy?” she asked, and stood up, forgetting that she had an injured leg and tried to walk, “Well, I don't need your help…”  She took two steps and fell over on the third step.

 

“Ack..!” she shouted, while holding the wounded ankle.

 

Taehyung came by and looked at her, who was in pain.

 

“I was just trying to help. Are you always like this when someone wants to help you? Shouting, complaining—thinking that they’re doing this to gain something?” he asked, while squatting down to her current height. “Honestly, I’m just trying to be your friend, for once I don't see you as someone less than I am and what you said about me before, wasn't true at all, I never look down on people…” he explained.

 

“Now, do you want my help to stand up or not?” he offered his hand.

 

Nara was dumbfounded and nodded lightly in reply to his question. Knowing that she needed his help, Taehyung put his left arm around her and grabbed her hand with the other one to pull her at the same time.

 

“Thank you.” She said lightly, when they stood up. “And, I’m sorry… For what I said just now” she felt guilty and embarrassed.

 

He put her down on the couch and put her back in her original position.

 

“Apology accepted.” He stated, and then a smirk slowly formed on his face. “On one condition…”