Chapter 54

The Arranged Marriage.

The charity event was hosted in a grand hall in some fancy hotel near the Gangnam district. Sehun informed me that it was to raise some money for children in the middle east, and that it was being hosted by both of our families.

When we pulled up outside of the venue the front entrance was surrounded by photographers. I groaned. half hiding behind Sehun. "Why are there so many?" i complained. Sehun's shoulders shook as he laughed. "What did you expect? Both celebrities and chaebols are attending this event, so of course theres going to be some media coverage" he said.

I sighed, goosbumps raising on my legs as the driver opened the door and a cold wind rushed in. "Lets go" Sehun said, grabbing my hand and half dragging me out of the car. As soon as we became visibal the photographers flocked to us like vultures.

"Sehun-ssi, Jessica-ssi, look over here!" they screamed, their cameras flashing all around my vision. 

I walked quickly, overtaking Sehun, who was busy playing prince and smiling for the cameras, and dragging him inside.

"Aigoo, so unsociable" Sehun remarked, a wide grin on his face.

"Well sorry but i dont have the concern of having to keep up a fake image for the cameras" I snapped.

He raised his eyebrow, a smirk on his face. "In a bad mood are you?" he said sarcastically. I opened my mouth, ready to snap at him again, but just then Kyle called us over.

"Yah, kids, are you standing in the entrance all night?" he said.

"Who are you calling a kid?" i snapped, tripping hjim up as he began following my parents into the hall.

"Ah! Omma, Jiyoon-ie's showing us up again!" he called to my mum. "Sehun, you're a witness" he said.

"Aish seriously! You're so immature" i snapped, shoving past him and walking beside my mum. Behind us I could hear Sehun's laugh.

The hall was decorated lavishly, multiple chandaliers gleaming down upon the tens of dozens of guests who were all dressed extravagantly. "Im i not dressed up enough?" I mumbled to Kyle, suddenly feeling selfconcious as people began to notice us standing at the doorway. "I think these people are too dressed up" he said, before following our parents down the stairs onto the main floor. "Not helpful" i snapped. He looked back and stuck out his tongue like a little kid.

Suddenly Sehun appeared besides me. I jumped out of instict, perhaps from my nerves, but then glared at him, still annoyed. "Aigoo, it's like your eyes are piercing through my soul" he said dramatically. I rolled my eyes before beginning to walk off.

"Wait a minute" he said, grabbing my hand and stopping me from walking down the stairs. "Ah what?" i said in exahsperation.

"A lady make an entrance alone? What type of fiance would i be if i let you do that? Especially as your date too" he said. I raised my eyebrow in surprise, trying not to laugh. "My date?" i said, finding my self grinning widely.

"Of course" he said, flashing a moviestar smile before leading me down the stairs. My heart did a little flutter, and for once i didnt try to ignore it. Infact, it was actually kind of comforting.

"Ah, Jessica-ssi! You look stunning" Sehun's father said as we appraoched our families. I bowed to him politely, giving my thanks. "It's not long before the wedding. I'm sure you'll be looking for wedding dresses soon?" Mrs. Oh said, smiling widely. I began to blush, unsure how i felt about the marriage. It's true that i'm not against it as much as i was, but i'm not exactly excited for it. 

"Sehun-ssi, why don't you take jessica for a dance? A new song has just come on" My mother prompted.

"No it hasn't" I said suspiciously.

"Aish, just go" Kyle said, shoving me in the direction of the dancefloor. 

Sehun laughed, but took me by the hand and led me to the dancefloor before i could protest. 

"No no no, wait, i don't dance!" I protested, but it was too late and we were already on the dancefloor and Sehun blocked my wait, so now i was surrounded by bodies. "Sure you do" he said, taking me by the hand and pulling me a little closer. His hand was hot on my back and he was suddenly so close and i could feel my cheeks burning up.

"I-I really don't" I stuttered, trying to keep my cool, which was very hard to do whilst meeting his eyes.

"It's easy, you just follow my lead" he said, before starting to dance, my discomfort was quickly forgotten as i tried to focus on not stepping on his feet, and after a short while i actually began enjoying my self.

"See, it's not so hard" Sehun said. I looked up, planning to say something smart, but my words got stuck in my throat as I remebered how close he was again, and my head got fuzzy. "You look really beautiful today you know" he said, his voice losing his normal mischeivous tone so it sounded serious and made my heart flutter again.

"What the hell? You're being so nice all of a sudden" I mumbled, unsure what to say. 

"You like it really" he teased, pulling me a little closer, which im surprised was possible, and planting a light kiss on my forehead.

By now i had stopped dancing, my feet frozen where they were as I blinked up at him in surprise.

"T-The songs stopped" i said, pulling his arms lose and forcing my wobbly knees to move away.

Without another word I walked away as quick as my unsteady feet could take me, my skin hot and head cramped.

I weaved my way through the people, a few of whom stopped me to give their greetings which i barely paid attention to. I grabbed a champagne glass from a waiter who was making his way around the room, gulping it down in a sudden thrist.

"Jessica-ssi!" suddenly came a cheery voice.

I looked around to see who was calling me, and nearly choked on my drink when i saw Victoria stood, tall and unmissable and mysteriously intimidating. Why did i feel intimidated of her? After all I was Moon Ji Yoon. People were intimidated of me.

"How nice to see you here" Victoria said with a wide smile, approaching me. I didn't like the fact that i had to look up to her slightly. Curse my short genes.

"Well, my parents are hosting this event" i said, keeping my voice cool.

"Of course, of course" she said, laughing for no reason.

I forced a smile, looking around and scanning the people in my vision.

"Are you looking for Kai?" she suddenly asked.

"Why would you say that?" i snapped quickly, suspiciously.

Victoria simply smiled, ignoring my question. "He's here, somewhere. I lost him after we arrived" she said. giggling pointlessly.

"Right, well, if you'll excuse me" i said, desperate to get away though we had only been speaking for about twenty seconds.

"Did you come here with Sehun?" she asked, cutting me off and stepping in my way.

I glared at her, annoyed and strangely defensive after she had mentioned Sehun. "Victoria-ssi, i know all about you. I know about you and Sehun and Kai. So please, don't try to involve me. I don't need to be stuck in whatever petty thing you're trying to stir up" i snapped to her, keeping my voice formal and impersonal.

She dropped her phoney, cheery smile, suddenly grinning in a twisted way. "And if you already are?" she asked, raising an eyebrow and giving me this cold look. Oh how much i'd love to smack that smirk off of her face. It was worse than Sehun's.

"Jiyoon-ah" suddenly came a familiar voice. We both broke our stare down to find Jongin standing there, staring at us both in faint surprise.

Suddenly i felt uncomfortable, not wanting to be caught inbetween Victoria and Kai.

Without greeting him i quickly walked away, wanting to dissapear in the crowd and hide and ideally leave this entire event. 

Kai called after me, but before he could catch up to me i was engulfed by bodies much bigger than mine that were easy for me to hide in.

My fathers voice suddenly came booming across the hall as he began to give his speech, probably announcing the time to make donations. I took this as a good time to dissapear whilst everyone was too distracted to pay attention to me. I slipped out into the entrance, looking around for the bathrooms.

Finally, after following the signs, i found them. You'd think that in a hotel the bathrooms would be easier to find.

The bathroom was decorated alomst as lavishly as the hall. There was a loveseat and a coffee table, a vase on top full of fresh pink and white roses. Glossy shelves held neatly folded white towels, and the entire room smelt like perfume and flowers, and it was unbearably suffocating.

i walked over to the wash basins, a large mirror covering the wall showing my reflection. I was desperate to splash my face with water, but thought better since i didn't want to look like a clown that had just been crying. Not to mention my mum would kill me if i ruined my makeup.

But what was i hiding in this bathroom for? Surely i wasn't intimidated by Victoria? I mean who even is she? She's not even important enough for me to know her last name. 

"That's right, you're Moon Ji Yoon. You're not indimidated" i said, giving myself a little pep talk. Then i looked at the stalls to make sure no one was there to have over heard me.

Sighing, i left the restroom, filled with confidence once again.

As soon as i entered the hall again my mum pounced on me like a panther. "Where have you been?" she asked.

I jumped, sure that she had just materialised out of thin air. "The bathroom" i said innocently.

She narrowed her eyes but didn't say anything, only looking me up and down. I squirmed slightly, but to my surprise she smiled. "What?" i asked cautiously.

"You look beautiful" she complimented. I raised my eeybrows in surprise, not expecting this kindness. "Thanks" i said cheerily.

"You know, i knew this would be hard for you, this whole engagement. But i'm happy that you're seeming to accept it now" she said in an unfamiliar soft tone.

I didn't know what to say, too stunned to speak, so i just let her go on. "You worry us sometimes, your father and I and even Kyle. We didn't arrange this marrige just for business. At least this way I'll know that someone's taking care of you" she said.

"But, how do you know that he will?" i challenged, unsure what else to say.

She laughed lightly, and i suddenly felt uncomfortable with this kindness from her. "You think me and your father really don't know you? We know Sehun and his family, and we wouldn't have picked someone we didn't think you'd come to love. I trust Sehun, and i think you should too" she said, before pulling me into a hug.

"Oh, well okay, this is new" i said in surprise. She simply laughed, pinching my cheeks. "Ah omma, i'm not a kid!" i said, batting away her hands from my now sore cheeks. "Aigoo, well you're immature enough to be " she said, whacking my shoulder whilst turning to walk away. "That's the omma i know!" i called after her, but found myself smiling.

But her words left me in a state of confusion, as i began realising something i never realised, which was that my parents cared. I mean, i knew that they cared as a parental obligation, but i was actually a factor in their decisions. Like they thought about me, and my future and my well being. Was i tearing up right now?

I fanned my face, suddenly hot but mysteriously happy. Happy that my parents cared, and that this marriage was a way of them showing that. I could feel some of my original resistance to the marriage melting away, and suddenly i wanted to find Sehun. Not for any particular reason, but just to be with him.

I began walking around the room, looking for the tall dark haired figure, and ended up at the back of the hall where he couldn't be because this was sort of the neglected area that no guest paid attention to. WHy was it that when i didn't want him there he was always around, and when i did want him he was practically invisible. 

I sighed in frustration, ready to keep searching, until i turned around and stopped dead in my path.

There, stood and unnoticable unless you looked, stood Victoria and Kai, and they were kissing.

Kissing. Kai was kissing...Victoria.

It felt like something hd suddenly been hit by something, all the breath struck out of my chest like i was winded. 

They broke away, but before they saw me i turned around so that i wouldnt have to see them. SO i wouldn't have to see their expression.

"Jiyoon-ah" suddenly came Kai's voice, but i could feel a lump growing in my throat and i couldn't reply. Rather my heart was squirming and my hands began shaking uncontrolably, like i was high on adrenaline.

"Jiyoon-ah" Kai's voice was closer now, but i couldn't look at him. I couldn't face him. And like a coward i ran away.

I walked away as quick as i could, nearly pushing people out of my way as the first tears began to fall down my cheeks. 

A/N- i hope i updated quickly enough! There's so much drama in this story i've realised. I'll update as soon as i can, so please wait! Don't forget to comment and suscribe. Gamsahamnida~AlviinK