Chapter 4

The Arranged Marriage.

I didn't wake up as late the next day, but when ı did finally drag myself out of bed ı found the house to be empty, of my family that is. A maid was busy polishing the main room whilst butler Park emerged from the kitchen, a white towel draped over his forearm. When he saw me stood there he bowed and greeted me. "Where are my parents?" I asked him, feeling like ı already knew the answer. "They're at work. I'm sure they'll be back in before tea" he answered. Of course. I tried not to feel too disappointed. After all, had ı expected them to change after the move? Of course not. I detected something close to pity when butler Park looked at me. I hated that. "Well ı'm going out for the day" ı suddenly announced. He raised an eyebrow. "I'll go get the driver ready."

"Don't bother" ı snapped before walking away back to my room. I dressed simply, wearing a large woolly jumper and some black leggings, paired with some uggs and a woolly hat. I trudged out of the house without a word and walked down our street. I wasn't completely sure where ı was going, and since my breath was turning into little clouds ı didn't want to stay out too long. When ı was younger ı had only visited Seoul for brief periods of time. I never stayed long enough for it to be classed as living here, at least not for me. However ı never had problems fitting in or anything at school. It was hard to be alone when you were rich.

I walked around the neighbourhood for a bit. I wasn't too bothered about getting lost because it wouldn't be a problem until ı actually wanted to go home, which wouldn't be for a while. Not to mention ı could always take a taxi home. I brought my purse. Then ı suddenly remembered a fond memory of Seoul. When ı was younger ı would always go to the same ice-cream place with a friend. I couldn't remember exactly who that friend was, but despite the cold whether ı felt determined to visit there again. Luckily ı remembered the name, and typed it into the GPS on my phone. The good thing about Seoul was that it had the best internet service ı had ever come by.

The directions came up and ı followed them to the best of my ability. However when it came to maps, even simple ones like on my phone, ı always found a way to get lost. Especially in a big place like Seoul. I easily found myself confused amongst the hundreds of people and easily took a wrong turn. Once that happened, there was no way ı could find my way back alone. However ı was not going to admit that it had been a bad idea. Stubbornness was a trait ı had acquired as a toddler. I thought ı was close, but realised ı must not be when ı ended up at the back alleyways. Taking a big gulp, ı walked carefully whilst looking out for murderers. But then ı suddenly heard footsteps emerge from the shadows and follow closely behind me. I tried to act like ı hadn't noticed and hoped they would go away, however they didn't and the lump in my throat got bigger as ı walked faster.

Taking a deep breath, topping up my courage, ı turned around. The figure behind me, dressed in black, suddenly sprang into action. I screamed, but when no signs of death were apparent ı opened my eyes. The man snatched away my purse, turned and ran away. I blinked in surprise. He was just a mugger?! I almost felt like laughing in relief. In the small streets of various european towns in my past, ı had dealt with muggers plenty of times. "Yah!" I called before chasing after him. All the way through school ı had been first in running, whether it was sprinting or long distance. I don't know who ı got it from. No one ı knew in my family were also good at running, definitely not Kyle. The good thing was that the thief led me back to civilisation. We slipped and slid between the people on the streets. A couple of times he had tried to slow me down by throwing something in my path, but ı was also pretty good at hurdles and was catching up to him in no time. His black hoody was barely an inch from my outstretched arm.

Suddenly he stopped, turned around and flashed out a knife. I only just managed to stop myself from running into it. People around us stopped and stared. "Yah, give me back my purse!" I yelled. The man was only young, but his filthy ness made him look older. He stretched out his arm in threat but it was suddenly twisted behind his back. He dropped to his knees as the man who had captured him snatched my purse away and threw it to me. I caught it before it hit one of the bystanders in the face. The knife lay on the floor. It was only a small pen knife. "Go home Lee" the stranger said to the thief before letting him go. To my complete shock and surprise he handed the thief a twenty before sending him off.

The stranger approached me, smiling. "Are you okay?" He asked. He was tall and so had to lean down slightly to come face to face with me. I nodded and looked away. "Thanks, by the way" ı added. Suddenly a spark of recognition flew across his face. "Jess Moon?" He asked, looking more intently at my face. I stared at him in surprise. "Do ı know you?" I asked. "Its me! Jong In" the stranger exclaimed. The crowd around us had disappeared now. When ı still couldn't remember him he added, "Kai?"

I gasped in joy, remembering the little boy with the big brown eyes and freckles. "Kai!" I repeated, suddenly remembering. He was my ice-cream friend. In the excitement he pulled me into a bear hug, before letting go and giving an awkward laugh. "I can't believe it's you! What are you doing in Seoul?" The last time ı had seen Kai was when ı was twelve years old. I explained to him everything. He listened like a good student without seeming bored, even when ı asked him if he was. When ı had finished and looked around at our surroundings, ı saw a familiar building. "Oh!" I said in surprise as ı stared at the colourful ice-cream shop. Well what do you know! He looked at the shop and smiled. "Do you remember?" When ı nodded he grabbed my cold hand. "Come on, let's get some" he said enthusiastically before dragging me inside. I couldn't help but laugh in excitement.