chapter 46

The Arranged Marriage.

"Will you just tell me where we're going already?" I asked Sehun for what must have been the hundreth time.

Like always he just continued to grin away, speeding up slightly but continuing to ignore me.

"Yah!" I snapped in frustration, flicking his ear.

He finally looked at me, his face suddenly serious and his gaze firm.

"Do that again, i dare you" he muttered in a faintly threatening tone.

"Why? What are you going to do?" I answered back, rolling my eyes at him.

Like a flash of lightning his smirk appeared on his face, stretching out proudly. "Do you really want to find out?" He asked, raising an ehyebrow.

I opened my mouth to answer back but for some reason the look in his shimmering eyes made the breath in my throat suddenly get stuck, and for the blood to rush to my cheeks as i mysteriously began to blush. Oddly flustered, i chose to ignore him and dead eye the road ahead whilst beating away my urge to hit him.

As if being able to read my mind,or perhaps i was blushing more than i thought, Sehun chuckled, his annoying voice echoing in my brain.

Kai's POV~~~

"Yah, really? Cant you go another time?" I asked Victoria in exhasperation. Besides me she began to pout.

"It's not to shop. I just need to change clothes. I cant go walking around in my travelling clothes you know? I still have an image to uphold" she answered airily.

I sighed, shaking my head.

Sensing my annoyance she snapped, "Why, would you rather i get changed in here?" She indicated to the back seat of the car.

When i didnt reply a sly grin spread across her face. "But then again, you've never minded in the past, have you Jongin-ah?" She said in a voice that was higher than her own whilst reaching over to play with my hair.

""Yah!" I snapped, really annoyed now. Being reminded of what happened in America was the last thing i wanted.

She pouted again, batting her eyelashes. "So just stop over at the mall so i can get changed" she coaxed.

"Do you not even care that you've pissed me off?" I snapped, my tone agressive as i tried and failed to tame my anger.

She giggled, lightly brushing my arm as she did so. "Jongin-ah, you couldn't ever be mad at me. Its me after all."

And just like that, at her touch, her smile, her laugh, my anger seemed to seep out of me, vanishing as if it was never there.

The sad truth was that i knew she was right.

Jessica's POV~~~

"A jewellry store?" I couldn't help but ask skeptically as we stood facing the shop. To my surprise, and slight dismay, Sehun had dragged me into a mall. The opposite of my natural habitat.

Not only that, but it was slightly clear to me now that this wasnt going to be a date. Sehun was simply dragging me around, possibly for publicity as those who passed us whispered and occasionally stopped to stare, or otherwise just to annoy me. Either way i couldnt help but feel a little dissapointed, but then again, why would i want to go on a date with Sehun anyway?

I was just grateful that he wasnt forcing me into any hideously pretty dresses.

"Come on" Sehun said, grabbing my hand in his and pulling me into the store whilst smirking at my expression.

I couildnt help but notice the warmth of his hand, or the softness of his skin.

Did he use handcream?

Why was i thinking this anyway?

Snap out of it Jess.

"Ah, its the happy couple" a middle aged and fairly handsome man said, smiling as we approached him. He stood behind a counter displaying an assortment of dazzling jewels, his diamond cuffs shining in the light as he gave us an equally dazzling smile. I looked away before the shape of his teeth became imprinted into my vision, that and the fact that i was blushing like an idiot from the word 'couple'.

Sehun however, a master of being a phoney, matched the clerks smile with his own movie star one.

Again i couldnt help but notice how the edges of his eyes wrinkled in that way i adored...i mean detested.

"I just came to collect my order" Sehun answered. Both his and the clerks eyes flickered to where i was standing briefly, before they looked back at eachother. I frowned at Sehun in question but he simply ignored me.

"Ah, i see. Well, wait briefly and i shall return with it" he gave us another smile before turning and walking into a door at the far back of the room reading 'Staff only. DO NOT ENTER"

I sighed, propping my elbows on the glass counter and gazing down at the wide display of jewels.

There were earrings of multiple coloured diamonds and crystals, as well as an eyeblinding necklace that seemed to have on it a diamond heart made of roses. However what my eyes fell upon and remained at was the range of rings.

The diamonds ranged in size from miniscuole to outrageously sized and probably over priced, glinting up at me in an almost mocking way. I couldnt help but be aware of how light my left hand felt with out a ring of its own.

Not that i had ever been one for diamonds and crystals. I preferred piercings and strechers to rings and necklaces, but i was engaged. 

Wasnt it only normal to have an engagement ring?

Aware that Sehun was right besides me i diverted my gaze, not wanting to appear to be looking at the rings for took long encase he read my mind again.

After all,what did i care about rings? I didnt even want to get married.

To my surprise Sehun was grinning, as if he was enjoying a private joke.

"What?" I snapped.

The grin quickly mutated into a smirk. "Nothing" he answered innocently.

I rolled my eyes before standing up straight, suddenly losing interest in the surrounding jewels.

"Im going to the ladies room" i said briefly before brushing past him and out of the store. It was suprisingly more dull out in the walkways of the mall than it had been in the jewellry shop.

I felt temporarily blinded by all the diamonds beaming up at me.

I didnt really need the bathroom, just a way to escape my thoughts and Sehuns presence. Sighing i made my way up to the restroom anyway, having no where else to go.

The public restroom was suprisingly clean, for public standards. At least, there was no foul stench in the air, and it seemed empty apart from one occupied stall. On the counter was an open duffel bag, containing toiletries and possibly clothes, but i couldnt see in the bag properly and my interest had already dissapeared before i bothered to investigate.

Sighing i stared at my reflection in the large mirror covering the wall. The harsh lighting made my skin look odd. It had reached the dull stage in between a fading tan and my natural, pale skin tone.

I couldnt help but stare at my nose. Was it really cute, like Sehun had said?

People always said i had a button nose, but i took this as a bad quality. Perhaps i should look at it in a new light, literally, because the lighting in this room was god awful.

I quickly discarded the thoughts of my appearance, convinced that Sehun was probably just trying to annoy me or get under my skin the same way he did when he called me Jiyoon. 

Sighing i swiped my hand under the motion sensor tap. Instantly a jet of water shot out, sliding up the shallow sink and spraying my front.

"Aish" i moaned, annoyed as i snatched some paper towels from the rack.

Just then the cubicle opened and out stepped a girl roughly my age, a bundle of what appeared to be travel clothes in her arms. Briefly i scanned her outfit.

Not bad, i couldnt help but think. She dressed too girly and cute for my liking, but all her clothes were in season and reasonably well matched. I recognised a couple of labels owned by my parents.

She began stuffing her spare clothes in her duffel bag, flipping her long black hasir over her shoulder as she did so.

I began to dab my front dry.

"Hey" she suddenly said, her voice high and oddly sweet. I wasnt sure if i liked it or not.

Surprised that she had even adressed me i hesitated before answering. "Hi". What i found most surprising was the fact that she was speaking in English.

"Terrible weather. I should have packed something warmer, but of course i didnt realise the weather would be so much damned colder than it was in LA" she said, speaking away fluently in English.

"Yeah well, Korea is cold in the winter" i said, trying to keep the sarcasm out of my voice. 

If i failed she didnt show any signs of noticing. If anything she smiled even more sweetly.

"Are you British? You have a British accent" she commented, her expression one of curiosity.

I couldnt help but be put off by her forwardness.

"Yes" was all i said.

It was quiet for a few seconds before she said "i'm just visiting for a while. You too?"

Why was this girl talking to me? Did she even know who i was?

"Unfortunately not. I think im having to stay here longer than i planned or wanted to"

She frowned slightly for a second, before smiling brightly again and bidding me goodbye.

"See you soon" she said as she left.

I couldnt help but scoff. The only place she'd soon see me is on a tabloid. I doubt id ever meet her again.

Only afterwards did i realise that she had just assumed i spoke English. Perhaps she did know who i was, but in that case why would she pretend that she didnt?

Sehun's POV~~~

"Here we are" the clerk said as he returned. He placed the small, blue, leather box in my palm.

I flipped it open, a sparking diamond ring glistening back at me. Not too flashy, but not too conservative.

Perfect.

"She'll love it" i whispered, a genuine smile on my face.

My heart did a little flutter, or squirm. Either way it seemed to tighten in my chest.

After paying i left the shop, a spring in my step.

I had expected Jess to be back already, but guessing that she was still in the restroom i made my way up to the public toilets.

On my way i recieved many stares and whispers, whilst occasionally a group of girls would giggle as they walked past. 

Today they didnt seem to bother me however. Infact i felt euphoric.

When i arrived outside the restroom i leaned against the railing, looking down past my shoulder at the crowds in the square belown. 

There was the sound of the restroom door closing. Expecting to see Jess i looked up, and for a second i thought it was her, before, with a heart tightening clench, i realised it wasnt. I 

quickly flipped around, my back to the restroom door. The glass opposite the floor of the restroom reflected myself, a faint, ghostly figure, and the person stood behind me.

She stopped and stared at my back, her face clear behind mine in the glass.

For a second i thought she would say something, but then she flipped her long black hair over her shoulder before continuing to walk away, her heels echoing down the corridor.

Even after she dissapeared from sight it seemed that i still wasnt able to breathe.

Could it really be her, or was it just a ghost? Had i not seen the person properly?

Had it really been Victoria?

I could almost feel the pain in my chest as my heaart tore in two all over again, though i wasnt sure if it was from love or hate.