Chapter 30

The Arranged Marriage.

We didnt speak for a moment. Chen and Suho threw wary glances my way every now and then but didnt bother me whilst I calmed down. Chen was munching on another muffin he had ordered, the fresh beagle stuffed in his pocket for later. Suho sat besides him, sipping his coffee silently whilst going through his phone. I cupped the hot chocolate in my hands and took a sip, comfortable in the silence.

"So, Jess-ssi, why were you at school so early?" Chen perked up, taking another bite of his muffin. I spun my cup in my hands uncomfortably. "I could ask you the same thing" I said. Chen smirked, but it was a friendly smirk and not an annoying one. "We're always at school early. We're on the council, so it looks good to get there before everyone else. Though most of the time we just sleep in the libary" he explained. Suho rolled his eyes but smiled along. "Yah, don't ruin our reputation" he teased, his smile widening.

The girls beside us sighed softly, admiring his smile but they looked away quickly when they noticed I had heard. I ignored them and took another sip of my hot chocolate. "Your turn" Chen suddenly said, wiping a crumb away from the corner of his lips. I sighed. "I was avoiding Sehun" I admitted quietly. For a couple of seconds it was silent. Suho nearly choked on his coffee before the two boys burst out laughing, earning a few peoples attention. I blushed slightly and frowned. "Yah, won't you stop laughing?" I pleaded. The two boys tried to quieten their laughter but their bodies still shook. I couldnt help but smile along, my embarrasment slipping away.

"Oh, sorry Jess-ssi" Suho said, still laughing quietly but recovering. Chen on the other hand was gripping his sides in pain, his face contorted in silent laughter. Suho glared at him until Chen recovered. "Yeah, sorry Jess-ssi. It's just that...we knew he'd chase you away some how" Chen explained, wiping his eyes. I frowned slightly. Suho was shaking his head slightly at Chen. "Why?" I questioned curiously. "Well, he isn't the easiest of people to get along with" Suho explained whilst Chen continued eating. I smiled slightly. He certainly wasn't. "The twelve of us have known eachother since we were kids, so we get along, but Sehun barely has any new friends" he continued. 

"And his dating life is...well..." Chen ran a finger along his throat. I chuckled slightly. You wouldn't think Sehun had a non existent dating life with those looks. "Actually...no...he had a girlfriend in the states. She reminds me of you honestly" Chen continued. Suho opened his mouth, probably to tell Chen off, but then his phone suddenly rang. He sighed and excused himself before dissapearing. I set my eagle eyes on Chen, wondering what I could get him to tell me. "Why is she his ex?" I asked, keeping a look out for Suho. "Because she's an idiot" Chen said, a tad bit bitterly.

I didn't know what to say so I just waited for him to continue. He swallowed the food in his mouth and sat up slightly. "Why?" I prompted him. "Well, there's a reason Sehun and Kai fell out. They were at the states at the same time and she..." I was on the edge of the seat, anticipating the answer. But Chen sudddenly stopped as someone hit him around the back of the head. He jumped and looked around angrily for the culprit before he realised Suho was behind him.

"Oh hyung, what was that for!" Chen said, pouting and rubbing the back of his head. Suho tsked at his. "Yah, fool, don't tell her or else we'll both be in bother" Suho warned. A sudden understanding came over Chen's face and he looked at me with big eyes. "That's right! Oop's! Jess-ssi, don't let them know we told you. Please, if you value our lives" Chen pleaded cutely. I smiled and nodded. "Don't worry." Chen sighed in relief. Just at that moment someone else entered the cafe and walked over to our table. I looked up to see Kai, which for some reason made bubbles of excitement rise in my chest. 

"Good morning" he greeted us, bowing slightly. We returned his greeting. "Kai, aren't you going to sit down?" Suho asked. Kai shook his head. "No hyung, i've got to get going. And so does Jess-ssi if she doesn't want to be late for class" he explained, raising his eyebrow at me. "Oh right, I forgot" I quickly drank the rest of my drink before standing up. "Thank you for my drink. I'll be leaving first" I bid the two boys goodbye, bowing before following Kai outside. 

However i stopped as soon as the cold wind hit my face. White fluff was falling from the sky and I frowned. I hated the snow. In my head I wished for the spanish sun before giving a long sigh. Kai besides me chuckled. "Still don't like the cold huh?" he said, mving to stand in front of me. I looked up to see his face and smiled slightly. "Of course". He chuckled again and stepped forward, pulling up my hood. It covered my eyes, making me look even further up to see his face. "Yah, I can't see" I complained. Kai laughed and grabbed my hand, making my heart flip. "Then i'll lead the way, so don't worry" he poked my nose and lead me away. We arrived at his car and I was grateful that I wouldn't have to walk for twenty minutes in the cold snow.

Kai's POV

I started the car's engine. Jess sighed happily besides me as the heating came on. I smiled and turned it up a notch. "What's our first class?" she asked, taking down her hood. She had looked adorable with it on. "The history of Chinese with Mr. Song" I said, reversing out of the parking space. She groaned, making me smile in amusemnet. She disliked history lessons. After riding in silence for a couple of minutes Jess perked up. "So, what do you want to do for your birthday?" she asked. I turned to her, surprised. "My birthday?" I said, thinking. She nodded. "It's on tuesday right?" I looked at her eager expression and a twinge of guilt stabbed at my chest. "Umm..." I struggled for something to say.

That morning~~

"Honey, go home" my mum pleaded me. I looked up at her brown eyes. They seemed dull and dead from exhaustion and stress. "I can't" I muttered, glancing at the hospital bed. My dad lay motionless on the bed, the heart monier beeping slowly. "Please, go and rest" my mum took my hand and tried to lead me away from the chair I had spent the night in. Sighing and followed her will and stood up, kissing her forehead in goodbye. "Make sure you rest too" I told her. She nodded and tsked as she straightened my jacket. "You look like a mess. Make sure to wash up when you go home before your sisters see your state and ambush you, okay?" she smiled weakly and I chuckled quietly at her joke. "I will. Goodbye." 

Slowly I made my way to the hospitals underground car park. "Sir, where do you want to go?" our driver asked. I sighed and stepped into the open car. "Home" I answered bluntly. He shut the door. I laid my head against the seat and closed my eyes briefly. I was undoubtedly exhausted. School mixed with the hospital and attending meetings was literally draining me of any strength and sanity I had. If only i could have a long sleep without worry or stress giving me a headache and waking me up in the middle of the night. That would be nice. Even now my phone was ringing. Sighing I pulled it out of my pocket and answered without checking the caller ID. "Hello?" I said, my voice sounding corse and tired. "Oppa?" she said, her voice echoing in my brain. 

For a few seconds I was silent before I sat up and opened my eyes. My heart rate quickened as I processed the all too familiar voice. "Victoria?" I said, the name sounding odd and unreal on my lips. "Oppa!" she said in delight, and when I heard her familiar giggle I knew for definate that it was really her. "Oppa I haven't heard your voice in so long! I miss you" she said, her voice like honey in my ears. "Me too" I mumbled, still trying to figure out what was happening. A part of me was exstatic to hear her voice after so long, but another part of me wished that I had never answered the call. All the emotions I had fought so hard to lock away were rattiling inside their box, wanting to come out. But I couldn't let them.

"You must be surprised, right?" she said, her voice calmer and sweeter. "Right" I repeated in a quiet voice. She chuckled. "I'm coming to Korea" she finally said after a long pause. I remained silent, my head beginning to throb. The news it me like a ton of weights and I felt the air fly out of my lungs. "What?" I said. She sighed. "You'll come see me when I arrive, right?" she said hopefully. "What do you mean?" I said, unable to process her words. It was as if my brain had turnded to jelly. I was unable to swim through my thoughts. "You'll come see me won't you? at the air port?" she said, her voice losing some of it's merriness. Before I could think it through I replied with a "yes." She quealed happily on the other end of the phone. "Oh oppa that's brilliant! I arrive on Tuesday at Seoul airport. I'll see you then okay? Promise you'll come!" she pleaded. "Promise" I mumbled, still in a daze. I hung up and stared out of the window. What had I agreed to?

~~~

"I don't want to do anything for my birthday" I muttered as an excuse. She smiled and whacked my arm playfully. "Don't be silly. It'[ll be your 20th birthday! that's a big birthday" she said. I smiled. "Technically i'm 21" I said. She frowned. "What ever. Asai's birthday system is weird. To me it's your "20th" she said stubbornly. I couldn't help but smile, but it quickly went away. "I'm serious though. I don't want to do anything" I told her, my voice sounding harder than I would have liked it to have been. But Jessica was so stubborn, I knew that well. She wouldn't give up easily if I played nice. "But please" she said, pouting. I forced my self to give in. "I can't" I said. "But why?" she moaned, stomping her foot lightly and pouting. She could be such a child.

"Because...I need to be with my parents at hospital. My dad's ill" I blurted out. Instantly I felt bad for using such an extreme excuse. Why couldn't I just tell her the truth? She stopped her tantrum, and glanced at me with those big brown eyes. "I'm sorry" she mumbled. I sighed, realising i had made her feel guilty and uncomfortable. I turned and her cheek lightly. If only I could tell her everything I wanted to tell her. If only I had the guts to tell her that I loved her. 

 

A/N-Anneyong! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Finally i' introducing the new character! I have quite a few ideas on how this story could go, so i'd like to know who you all want her to end up with. Sehun or Kai? please leave your vote and feedback in the comments, and dont forget to suscribe if you haven't already. Upvotes are also appreciated! thank you very much for reading and i hope you have a good day. Gamsahamnida! <3 <3 -author-nim