Chapter 5

The Arranged Marriage.

I twirled my spoon around the edge of the ice-cream tub, un sticking the food from the cardboard. Taking a seat by the window, ı watched people go about their daily lives until the sound of a scraping chair broke me away. Kai sat down, took off his gloves and hat and stared hungrily at his tub of mint ice-cream. Only we would find it normal to be eating ice-cream in this cold weather. "So, how did you know that thief?" I asked, a question that had been bugging me for a while. Kai just shrugged and scooped a big spoonful of ice-cream. "I've ran into him before" he answered simply. "You shouldn't have let him off like that. You were too kind" ı said as ı remembered Kai giving the thief some money.

Kai finally looked at me properly. "He has a family to feed. He needed money somehow" Kai defended him. Something told me they were close to being friends. "Still" ı muttered before twirling patterns in my food. I could feel Kai's burning gaze on my head. "What?" I finally asked, but not rudely. He looked away awkwardly and shrugged. "Nothing it's just...you've changed, ı guess" he mumbled before looking out of the window. "Yah! You've changed too" ı said stubbornly. He raised an eyebrow at me. I felt the mood lift slightly. "Oh yeah? Since when did you get so brave, chasing after someone like that! Especially someone armed" he challenged. I couldn't help but feel it had worried him a little. I simply shrugged, brushing it off. It made me feel a little sad ı hadn't bothered to keep in contact with Kai over these years.

He had changed though, and in a good way. Mostly in his appearance. I wondered since when did he get so attractive. Puberty was good to him. However he was still his bubbily, cheery self, which always put a smile on my face. I looked away before I started to stare. Soon however, the conversation changed topic. We talked about various things, nothing important, and ı laughed so much that ı soon felt the sad feeling ı had felt this morning go away. That is until butler Park phoned me, telling me ı should return back home. Sighing, ı threw my tub into the bin. When ı said farewell, Kai brought up an excellent point. "Do you know how to get home?" I bit my lip as ı tried not to seem stupid for not thinking of that before. Kai chuckled at my expression. "Come on, ı'll take you home" before ı protested he grabbed my hand and pulled me outside.

We took the bus, a form of transport ı hadn't used in a long while. Kai was amused at my awe at the transport in Seoul. It was so high tech. Though he didn't need to, he took me all the way home. He whistled when he saw my house. "Looks empty" he commented. I frowned in agreement. It did. Kai's family weren't poor, but not as rich as mine. Therefore Kai would find some things mesmerising like a normal person off the street. I bid him goodbye and walked up the street slowly towards the front gates. "A smart person would wear something to keep warm in this weather you know" said a familiar voice.

I spun around and gaped in horror as Sehun was walking from the front gates of the house across the street. He was wrapped up in a smart coat and scarf, his hands covered in black leather gloves. "What were you doing in that house?" I snapped when ı found my voice. He looked behind him and then smiled his stupid smirk. "Its my home" he answered. With that he walked away to where a black car was waiting for him at the end of the road. I stared after him until he disappeared. He couldn't really live across the street from me. No way. Yet the realisation that he did slowly hit me, and ı was suddenly sure ı had been cursed. Either that or my mother was up to something, because it was no coincidence we just happened to move in next to him. But just what was the old woman playing at?