Chapter 13

The Arranged Marriage.

As expected ı was held prisoner for the rest of the night. My father kept a sharp eye on me for the rest of the night, and ı spotted some guards stationed at the exits. Sighing ı followed behind them. Unless ı wanted to crawl out of the window, there was no way ı was escaping the building. However ı still felt an odd twist on my heart when ı thought of Kai's face following the announcement. I sighed heavily. I had to speak to him at the first opportunity ı got, though ı didn't actually know what ı had to say.

Besides me Sehun's eyes flickered over my face before he stared blankly ahead of him. I had never seen him like this before. Usually ı would be angered and insulted by him multiple times already, but he hadn't spoken a word and didn't show any signs of snapping out of his trance. I frowned, remembering the look he had exchanged with Kai. Though both their faces reflected the others blank expression, ı could feel the depth between them, as if there was some unsolved history. They had to know each other. I sighed again. This was all giving me a headache.

Then another annoying situation appeared in my mind. Since this was the engagement party ı hadn't been told about, does that mean we were officially engaged? I was Sehun's wife-to-be. Oh no. Oh no no no. I couldn't be. If ı was, then there was no turning back now. This marriage was really going to happen. The realisation that my future had been decided, and it would be with Sehun, hit me hard. My breath escaped my lungs as if the hit had been physical and ı looked with panicked eyes at my surroundings. Everyone was smiling at me, as if this was a blessing. But they didn't know. This wasn't a blessing. It was a curse. My lip trembled as ı fought back the sudden tears. Pull yourself together Jess, ı thought. Why was ı suddenly acting like this? Sighing, ı stared at my feet and didn't look up for the rest of the night.

When we returned home ı tore the dress off my body, as if the gift was burning my skin. Ferociously ı undid my hair and tied it up messily, scrubbing away the make up on my face. I had to make sure every physical trace of this night was going to disappear. I threw the heels ı had worn into the bin. I crawled across my bed and curled myself up into a ball under the sheets, praying that it was all just a nightmare that would disappear in the morning. But it never did, and for the rest of the week ı was still in some sort of vague shock, my body numb to all emotion. It was on Friday when my parents sat me down in the living room, a serious and business like expression on both their faces. I wondered then if to them my life was like a business. One they had no choice but to run. The thought upset me but ı wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

"You're going to transfer to Seoul university and start your course there" my father said in a bland, final tone when he finally got to the point. I blinked at him blankly, trying to register his words. "School?" I mumbled vaguely. My dad nodded. School. I repeated it in my head. A smile cracked across my face, making my parents exchange a look. School, ı gleefully thought. Thank god! Finally something normal. Something that made sense. A slightly hysterical laugh escaped my lips and ı questioned whether my sanity was intact. "Okay" ı said happily to my parents. They exchanged another glance, a crack forming in their serious facade.

"Really? Just like that?" They asked. They were even more weary after the events with the body guards. I nodded. They smiled. "In that case, we already have an apartment for you near the university. You'll move into there on Sunday and term begins next week, okay?" My mum informed me. My heart lifted even more at the sound of a new place to live. Finally, finally ı was away from the Oh's. I would no longer have to go through the awkward encounters in the mornings on the street. No longer have to see Sehun's face almost everyday. The idea sounded like freedom.

Keeping to their word, my parents moved me into the apartment on Sunday. It was in a rich neighbourhood, of course, and on the top floor. The apartment block even had a lobby with a receptionist and winding staircases and rich red carpets. It reminded me of a posh, movie set like hotel. I was given my apartment's entry card. I stared at the gold plastic. Fancy, ı thought. The lift stopped when it got to my floor and ı stepped out, luggage free. It had all already been delivered to the apartment. Sighing blissfully ı opened the door. It sang a short jingle when it unlocked and a stupid grin spread across my face. Quickly, ı flipped off my shoes and ran inside, eager to inspect the apartment. I hadn't noticed the second pair of neatly placed shoes at the doorstep.

It was a penthouse, a twist between modern and classic. The walls were covered with large, arched windows that gave the apartment a generous amount of light and a breath taking view of the city. The floor was covered in white, floor heated tiles. The walls were white, decorated with art work. Tall plants stood neatly in the corners of the room. The living room was open planned. Two luxurious, brown leather sofa's occupied the space, a large solid oak coffee table between them. They sat on top of a large, furry, brown rectangular rug. A plasma TV, at least 70 inch, was hung above the vintage fireplace. Several doors led off to unknown worlds and my body was desperate to explore them. However, first, ı must find my room.

Sighing happily, ı opened the first door on my right. It was a guest room, decorated with everything white. Definitely not mine. I opened the next door. It led to the kitchen. Another led to a different bedroom, and this one made me stop and consider whether it was mine. Unlike the last bedroom, it was decorated. The colour scheme was gold and beige. A large, four poster bed stood proudly in the middle of the room, my luggage at it's feet. However ı bit my lip in uncertainty. This room was clearly the main bedroom, however there was just something odd about the room. Even the air seemed off. It felt occupied. The feeling sent a shiver down my spine and ı looked around the room with eagle eyes. I spotted a black duffel bag on the chair. Frowning, ı walked towards it. It definitely didn't belong to me. Suddenly the door at the far side of the room swung open and ı jumped in surprise, staring at the intruder in my home. However this intruder was no other than Oh Sehun, and he looked at me with, for once, surprise on his face. What is he doing in my home?!