Chapter 31

The Arranged Marriage.

The morning progessed slowly. Kai as always satyed loyaly by my side so I wouldn't get lonely, but that didn't console me as the guilt for making him bring up his ill father was chewing away at my chest. Yes, I had apologised for making him uncomfortable and he had accepted the apology, but that didn't mean I felt better. If it was anyone else I wouldn't spend more than five minutes thinking or feeling guilty over it, because they would act the same way. But I knew that Kai would actually care, and so did I. I cared an awful lot about hurting his feelings. And I had only a vague and unrational reason as to why. And no matter how hard I tried I couldn't force myself to forget the situation.

"Yah, stop beating yourself up. It's fine, really" Kai suddenly perked up as we made our way to our second class. I couldn't help but smile a little. It was as if he had read my mind. "Is it that obvious?" I muttered, trying to compose my expression. He chuckled and ruffled my hair, which earned him a very dark look. "Like reading a book" he answered. I pouted lightly. 

"Then again, I sort of like being able to read your mind" he said in a teasing voice. I furrowed my brow in confusion. "Why? I don't" I said, crossing my arms. He smiled and said, "because it makes me feel special. Usually your expression's always so composed and stubborn to other people, but it's as if we're eleven...sorry, I forgot you dislike our ageing system" he interrupted himself, smirking lightly before rephrasing his sentence. "Like we're ten again when i'm wth you. I like it" he explained. It was silent as I considered his words. True, it was like being ten again. The only person I truly trusted  back then (apart from kyle) was Kai, and it was the same situation nine years later.

I sighed. "I wish it was like that" I thought aloud. "Like what?" Kai asked, pulling away from his own thoughts. "Like we were ten again. Everything was better then. More...simple" I explained. His expression was blank as he considered my words. "And now you're engaged" he said with a sigh, partly to himself. I looked at him with suprised eyes. "Yah, I thought you hated the mentioning of the engagement" I said, confused. He gave a long sigh, which was followed by a short pause until he said in a rather grave tone, "is there any point in avoiding it anymore? I hear about it everywhere I go, everywhere I look. I'm a fool if I pretend it doesn't exist, and it'll come up sometime anyway. Might aswell as stop hiding from it. Even my parents talk about it. You're the golden couple of Korea. The modern day equivilent of royalty." 

I frowned and my teeth. "I don't want to be the 'golden couple'. I don't even want to be a couple" I said bitterly. Kai raised an eyebrow at me. "Why? Do you not like your future husband? Any girl would kill to be the prince's wife you know" he said, his tone lighter as he teased me. But he couldn't hide the bitterness and sadness behind it completely. We turned the corner but I was too frustrated by my thoughts to notice my surroundings. "Not this girl. Why would I like Sehun? Why would I like someone I'm forced to spend my life with? It's like being a prisoner. My future completely ruined. What type of person would like an engagement like that? Especially to an arrogant, self abosrbed, phoney snob? I will never want to be married to him. I hate him" I said angrily. Only then did I notice the lean, light haired figure standing within hearing range at the end of the empty corridor. My jaw dropped open slightly in shock and a wave of guilt swept through me like a tiodal wave. 

"Oh Sehun" I said. Though it was a whisper the word sounded like screams in my ears. Kai stood expressionless and motionless besides me. Sehun wasn't facing my way, so I couldn't see his expression, but I got the horrible feeling that he had heard every word I had said. Every word that wasn't completely sincre as I had the tendancy to over exagerrate my thoughts when I was mad. Silently he walked away. His movements were swift and in seconds he had dissapeared from my sight. 

I turned with apologetic eyes at Jong In. He took one glance at me and then his lips broke out into a sad smile. "I understand. Go" he said. I pursed my lips, torn between two different desires. Eventually I gave Kai a small bow before turning and running to where Sehun had dissapeared.

I ended up outside, looking around frantically for Sehun amongst the students that were out on the grounds at this time. Luckily there were not many in this area of the campus. Sehun was nowhere in sight, and I cursed silently. Where could that boy have gone? It wasn't as if he had powers. How had he dissapeared so fast? Feeling like I was on the verge of tears I set off at a fast walk, looking amongst the groups of students for Sehunn. He wasn't there. Frustrated and losing hope I walked glumly across the mini field in the quad and kicked a nearby tree. "Oh Sehun, where did you go?" I said aloud helplessly, not embarrased as there was no one around. I stood around for another couple of minutes, allowing my heart rate to go down and the adrenaline dissapear. The sound of a twig breaking behind me made me jump and quickly turn around, looking for the culprit.

Sehun stood in the shade of the tree, dressed smartly in a black jacket, blue shirt and dark jeans. A pair of black vans completed the outfit, along with a knitted black scark and  pair of leather gloves. I suddenly scolded myself. You fool, why are you chhecking out his outfit now? Well, at least I was definately my parents daughter. In any situation I always found the time to asses someone's outfit and give a mental opinion on it. Today, and like almost every other day, Sehun looked handsome in his choice of outfit. I scolded myself again before focusing back on the present situation.

"Did you...hear everything I said?" I asked shyly, my cheeks burning up with guilt. Sehun's expression was emotionless as always, but there was a shine in his eyes. Was he close to tears? No, I had a feeling Sehun didn't cry easily. It looked like something else, but I couldn't put my finger on it. He nodded, and his answer sent a tone of lead dropping into the pits of my stomach. "I...I'm sorry" I muttered. "I didn't mean it all it's just that...that..." my words and excuses left me, leaving me alone to feel like a fool.

"Is there really no way out of our marriage?" he suddenly asked, his voice bland. It's monotone sent blades through my chest. I shook my head glumly. He sighed and took a step closer. "And do you really hate me?" he asked, this time in a softer tone. I shook my head again, finally meeting his eyes. Again there was that mysterious shine in his eyes, and I found myself unwillingly captivated by it. "I don't hate you. But I hate our situation" I admitted quietly. His expression seemed tto soften as he took another step closer, and this time he was only a foot away. I stared with big eyes as he suddenly clasped both of my small hands in his, enveloping them with his warmth as the snow glittered on the ground and branches around us. 

"In that case, I promise you that...no matter what it takes or what I have to do, I'm going to make you love me. And i'm going to make our marriage work" he said in a determined voice. At that moment I finally realised what the shine in his eyes was. It was resolve, and I knew that every word he had just said was sincere, and that he was going to stick by his word. This realisation nearly made me winded and I stood unable to move as I processed his words. Sehun closed the gap between us, but I was too shocked to look up. I felt his warm lips on my forehead, and though I was sure it had only lasted for a few seconds, at that moment it felt as if it lasted a lifetime. Then suddenly his warmth was gone, and when I had finally come back to reality he was no where to be seen, but his scarf had somehow been wrapped around my neck, his citrusy scent lingering on the wool.