Chapter 53

The Arranged Marriage.

If you asked me what I was thinking, or feeling, I would not be able to tell you. Not because I didn't know, but because the sight of her had driven all thoughts out of my mind, as she always did, leaving me to feel vulnerable and unprepared. She was intimidating in that way, her manipulative eyes and smile always breaking down your confidence to leave you feeling exposed. Perhaps it was because of the way she carried herself. She was always cool, so composed that it was as if nothing could scratch her polished marble surface. She was clad in her usual fashionable clothes that probably cost more than some people's wages. She was leant against a flashy red car, one I knew well, and it's owner was stood besides her.

Kai looked up and met my gaze, and perhaps there was a plea for forgiveness in his expression. One of regret and desperation, but little self control. I didn't blame him, everyone had little self control around Victoria. But I couldn't be sure if he really was sorry right now. After all, he had changed. As had I. We had both changed, and it was all because of Victoria, who liked to play her little games without caring if her pawns got hurt.

"Oh, Sehun-ssi! " she exclaimed in her smooth voice when she spotted me stood there, my body half turned as if I was ready to run away. She got up off from the car, straightening up and towering over other girls in her high heels. Turning her back on Jongin, she walked over to me, adjusting her shirt as she did so and giving me a wide, bright smile. "I was hoping I would be able to catch you" she said in her cool voice that was trance like if you listened for too long. But I wasn't focusing on her voice, rather than the fact that she really was toying with us both already. She came here with Kai, and yet was here to see me. As always, she was using us and positioning us to fight against eachother, because to her we were still her little pawns. "Did you miss me last night?" She asked, stepping uncomfortably close. I met her gaze but said nothing, trying not to breathe in too much of her floral scent that made my brain go fuzzy. "What's wrong, you're not answering" she moaned, pouting slightly in her attempt to be cute and she was succeeding.

"actually I slept quite well" I snapped at her through gritted teeth, pushing away her hand as she tried to rest it on my chest and play with my shirt. It was her typical move, distracting you from your rational thoughts so that all you would focus on was her. "You lie" she teased.

Behind us Kai shifted uncomfortably and I had only realised that a few people were noticing us and beginning to whisper. The last thing I needed were some rumours in the magazines or something, but I'm sure Victoria would love that. Just then, behind Kai, I noticed a glint of purple, and when I looked closer I saw Jiyoon stood, watching, and it sent a raging beat ripping through my chest. "You're right" I said to Victoria, meeting her eyes again but this time stepping back to distance myself from her. "I was up thinking about someone, missing someone, but it wasn't you" I said to her. She raised her eyebrow, half surprised and half confused. She opened heruth to say something, but I shoved past her, lacking the patience to speak to her anymore. Both Kai and I ignored eachother as I walked past him, and I only stopped when I reached Jessica. 

She looked up at me in surprise, her height much more different to Victoria's. So much so that it made me smile. "What? Why are you smiling?" She asked defensively when she had regained her composure. "Because, you're so small. It's cute" I said, ruffling her hair. She patted away my hand, complaining, but before she could sort out the mess I had created I grabbed her hand and set off walking, holding her small hand firmly in mine. "Yah, what the hell?!" She exclaimed as I led her away from the growing crowd. "Your hands are cold" I remarked as I could feel my own warmth draining from my hand to hers. She opened to say something, but stopped when I gave her a smile, snapping shut and looking gloomy like a stubborn child. I smiled even more, overwhelmed with relief and happiness, and it was all because I could do this. I could go to Jess, when things were hard. When Victoria was here, no matter how much she wound me up, I could always find salvation in Jiyoon, and that made me happy, because I loved her.

"Where are we going?" Jiyoon eventually asked as I continued to drag her along by the wrist. I didn't answer her, which from the corner of my eye saw frustrated her. Eventually we stopped on the grassy banks. I led Jiyoon to the benches. "Yah, I need to get to class" she complained.

Finally I let go of her wrist and sat on the grassy floor instead of the un comfortable metal benches. "Then go" I said blandly. "But I never thought that you cared for school all of a sudden" I remarked. She hesitated for a second before stubbornly sitting down next to me. "I don't" she snapped defensively. I smirked, knowing full well that she wouldn't have left anyway. "But if you're letting me go so easily, then why drag me away in the first place?" she questioned. "what, did you want me to beg or something?" i asked, raising my eyebrow and smirking. She pulled a face, but didnt say anything else.

We sat like that for a moment, silent and thoughtful. I almost felt peaceful, and nearly forgot about Victoria for a second, but she didn't leave my mind for long. I remebered how i used to think of her and felt happiness. How i felt safe in her presence. But now the only warmth she braught me was from the boiling bitterness in my chest.

"What?" I suddenly snapped at Jess. She jumped and looked away quickly. I had felt her staring at my face for the past few minutes, curiosity burning in her eyes. Undoubtedly she would have questions about Victoria. Like who she was, and what she meant to me and Kai, because it was obvious something was going on. I wondered if her curiosty was from concern for me, or because she only wanted to know what Victoria meant to Kai. "Ah what?! You're not jut staring at my face becuse im an ulzzang" i persisted impatiently. 

She fixed her burning gaze onto mine, and i suddenly felt all the mischief drain out of me to be replaced with nervousness and dread for her questions. I could almost tell that they were gon to be centered around Kai. After all, why would she care about me, the guy who made her hate him? 

"Are you...okay?" she asked hesitantly. I just stared at her for a moment in shock. Well...that was not what i was expecting. "Why?" was all i could blurt out, unable to think of what else to say as I processed her question through my mind. Did this mean that she cared? About me? Was I taking priority over Kai right now, or was she just being polite?

She looked uncomfortable and began biting her lip like I had noticed her to do when she was nervous or uncomfortable. "Why? Do you care?" I asked hesitantly, daring to hope that the answer was yes.

But she didn't answer, instead she said. "That woman, I know what she did" Jess said forcibly, not meeting my eyes but instead focusing on the grass. "I know what she did to you...and Kai oppa" she mumbled. 

And suddenly I understood. She had found out, probably from Chanyeol, about Victoria, and it was now pity. I was recieving pity from her, not care. Pity, because I had a weakness. Pity, not care. Though I could tell, in her voice and the look in her eyes, that she did care, but it was reserved for Jongin only, or should we say Kai oppa.

My short fuse blew, and I shot up, surprising her and making her jump. "Sehun-ssi, what's wrong?!" She exclaimed in shock, shooting up on her own small feet. I looked straight over her head, not meeting her eyes. "I don't need your pity" I forced out through gritted teeth.

"Pity?" She asked, acting confused. "It's not pity, Sehun..." 

"Yah" I interrupted her, finally looking at her and trying to hold back some of the anger in my eyes. "What happened, is none of your business, so don't act like you care. It's annoying" I snapped at her, before barging past her. She stumbled but let me past, her eyes following me wide in shock. 

I walked away from her quickly, wanting to distance myself from her, and myself if that was possible. I wasn't sure if I was mad that she knew about Victoria, or if I was jealous. Jealous because she won't ever care about me the same way in which she cared for Jongin, all because I was too much of a coward to tell her how I felt, and now here I was again, pushing her away.

I slowed my pace and sighed heavily, closing my eyes and letting the sun beat down on my face. How is it that Oh Sehun, always called the flower boy prince of south Korea, who has everything at his bidding, can't even get this one girl?! We're engaged, and yet she's still not mine! What do I need to do?! Maybe stop acting like a jerk, I thought to myself sarcastically, becuse the was a pretty obvious answer, and yet I can't seem to stop pushing Jess away.

Suddenly a pair of warm arms wrapped themselves around my waist. I jumped, my eyes shooting open in surprise as I hastily looked around to see who it was, though my heart flustered with hope that it would be Jess.

Her shining purple locks came into view, and I had to hold back a goofy grin from spreading across my face as she looked up at me with a serious expression. "Yah, Oh Sehun! Get this through your head! I. Care. About. You. Okay?" She said confidently, punching my chest with each word. On the last punch i caught her tiny first in my hand, now unable to hold back my smile that I felt would split my face. "I'm sorry" I said simply, unsure what else to say because no words described how happy and estatic I was right now.

She sighed, her stubborness seeping out of her. "Me too, I shouldn't have snooped around about your past" she mumbled. I smiled again, taking her hand in mine. "Come on, let's go" I said cheerily, admiring the way that my hand enveloped perfectly around hers. "I'll walk you to class" I told her, which to my delight made her smile a little. And for once, in a very long long time, I felt my chest loosen slightly, truly happy, because I knew that in that moment, even if it was just for a few seconds, Jess-ssi had seen past my walls, past my defences, and into my eyes, where my love for her surfaces for her to see.

And as we turned around, in the distance, I could see Victoria, still standing there at the entrance, watching us, but for once the sight of her didn't weaken my legs, tighten my chest, and make my brain want to melt down. For once, I was able to look past her, beyond my past, and into the future standing besides me.

Jess' POV

I was happy. Like not that kind of 'nothing's wrong so I'm happy' kind of happy. But that 'things are right so I'm happy' kind of happy. And, though I didn't want to admit it, I knew that it was because of Sehun. For the past few days, despite the arrival of Victoria, he had been happy, or so it looked like to me. He wasn't angry or sarcastic or annoying. Infact we were getting along, so much so that being around him was making me happy. Because for once I tried to be optimistic. I tried getting past his usual cold self, because that day, when Victoria had appeared at school with Kai, I saw true hurt in Sehun's eyes. And to my surprise it broke my heart, and made me want to be there and care for Sehun. Why I felt this way I didn't know, but it seemed to have unlocked a better Sehun. I even dared to think that he could be a man I would want to marry.

"Yah, Moon Jiyoon" my mother snapped through the phone. I jumped at her harsh voice, suddenly aware of my surroundings. "Yes mom? " I said automatically. "Why aren't you answering? " She snapped.

"Sorry, I zoned out. What's wrong?"

"Aigoo this girl. Yah, it's the charity event tomorrow night, so you better be at my house tomorrow by 10  for your hair and make up" she said sternly. 

I held back a groan, my inner self whimpering at the prospect of having my mum hover over my shoulders again. "Ah, okay. I'll be there" I said.

"And don't forget your dress!" She yelled before hanging up.

I stuck my tongue out at the phone, wishing that i could do that to her face but shivering at the thought of her slipper being pelted across my head. If only she nagged me as much as dad, which was a lot less. 

When i woke up in the morning it was twelve o'clock. "Yah, you know that you were supposed to be up two hours ago, right? " Sehun said as I dragged myself into the kitchen where he was sat with some green tea. I yawned loudly, cracking my joints as I looked at him in confusion. "Why?"

"Aigoo" Sehun moaned, ruffling my already messy hair. "Ah what?!" I snapped, slapping away his hands.

"Did you forget about the charity event today already?" He asked, looking amused as a dreaded feeling of realisation swept over me.

"Oh no" I gasped, grabbing onto his sleeve. "My mums going to kill me" I whimpered, before rushing out of the kitchen and stumbling into my bedroom so that I could pull on any random clothes. I heaped my hair into a ponytail before grabbing my boots and yelling to Sehun goodbye.

My body guards, though these days they were more like ghosts since I warned them not to come into my field of vision, drove me to my parents' house, and as we pulled up besides the fountain in the driveway I felt like I was entering some kind of horror movie scene, where it was so obvious that if I went into the house I would meet my death. 

"You're late" Kyle jeered as I entered the house. He was laid out on the sofa watching weekly idol like he was some sort of fan girl. "Just go back to stalking your idols" I snapped, hitting his forehead as I past by. 

"Yah, you rascal!" Came a sudden shriek, causing me to jump as if I had seen a ghost, though the sight of my mother's angry face was much worse.

"Ah omma, I can explain..." I tried to convince her, holding out my hands infront of me in defence. 

She approached me, grabbing the cushion out from under Kyle head and hitting me with it. "Irresponsible! Stupid! Lazy! " she yelled with each hit. "Ah, okay! Okay! I get it, I'm sorry" I yelled, pushing her away and rubbing my beaten up arm. Kyle burst out laughing, but she turned her fiery gaze on him. "Yah, dont you start, or you'll get it to" she warned. His expression instantly became somber and he slid down the sofa to hide from mum's gaze. "Can I have my cushion back though?" He mumbled shyly. She threw it at him, hitting him squarely in the face. I had to hold back my laughter, masking it with coughing.

"You, go upstairs quickly and get ready" she snapped at me. I bowed and followed her instructions, running up the stairs as if my life depended on it. I couldnt decide if her wrath or grandmother's was worse.

The stylists got to work as soon as my touched the seat. It was a blur of brushes and makeup and hairspray and all that I could think was that it's good that I'm not asthmatic as I waved away the heavy cloud of hairspray in my face. When they had finished my hair was done in neat, elegant curls, whilst my eyes were brown beacons of glitter and eyeliner, and my cheekbones had been chiseled out using conture, whilst my skin was so pale that in the west I would have stuck out like a sore thumb compared to my old bronze tan. Had I gotten this pale this quickly? 

"I really wish you would dye your hair " my mother complained as soon as she saw me all packaged and as a shiny finished product. "It is dyed" I said innocently. She kissed her teeth at me. "Enough of your cheek. Now, quickly, get dressed" she snapped, clicking at the undergarments laid out on the bed. I grabbed them, trying to not cringe at the sight of white lace, as she asked, "where's your dress?"

"My dress?" I said, confused and holding the bra up to my chest to make sure it fit. "The one I let you pick out?" My mum pressed in a stern voice.

"Right my dress...my dress..." I said, thinking, before it dawned on me. I didn't have my dress! My mother was quick to catch on to my horrified expression, but before she could say anything a maid came into the room. "Young miss, Oh Sehun is here. He says he has something for you" the maid said, bowing. Without looking at my furious mother I quickly ran out of the room, racing down the stairs.

And there stood my saviour, with an unmistakable box in his hands that must, must, contain my dress. "Sehun-ssi! " I exclaimed happiness when I reached him.

He turned to me, breaking away from conversation with Kyle, and smiled, his teeth shining in the light. "You look like a clown with all that makeup" Kyle teased. I stuck my tongue out at him. "I'm still prettier than you" I snapped, before feasting my eyes upon the box.

"Please tell me this is my dress" I said hopefully. Sehun chuckled. "Yep. You forgot it when you practically ran out of the apartment"

I took the box eagerly from his hands, hugging him with my free arm. "Thank you so much! You're a life saviour, literally" I said, my voice full of relief before I rushed back up the stars and into the room. "I've got it!" I cheered to my mother, waving the box in the air. For a second she looked amused, a faint smile on her face as she shook her head before leaving the room to let me get dressed.

The dress was comfier than I remembered, the velvet material clinging to my figure before feathering out at my thighs. The design looked like wings, the colour only a couple of shades darker than my hair and catching the light to reveal really small jewels that glittered when the lights hit them. For once I liked how a dress looked on me. Infact, I loved it. As expected, Sehun has good taste. The idea that Sehun had chose this made me squirm a little. After all, that's what real couples did, choose things together and buy eachother gifts. We're we like a real couple now?

I sighed, telling myself not to be ridiculous. After all, who did I even want to be in a couple with, Sehun or Jongin? And did they want me, or Victoria? Like always my thoughts were ruining my mood. I over thought things too much.

Pushing the thought out of my mind, I decided that today I would enjoy myself. After all, it's supposed to be a charity event. Nothing could go wrong at a charity event.

I smacked my cheeks lightly, trying and failing to dispel the butterflies in my stomach. I knew that I was nervous because Sehun was here. I suddenly felt like a typical, foolish girl, obsessed with whether I looked okay or not because of a boy. 

I made my way down the stairs, my heart squirming as the people came into view.

"Omo, your hand!" My mother exclaimed when she looked up, before she even complimented me. I looked down at my white bandage that stuck out like a sore thumb against my dark outfit. I rolled my eyes at her, feeling the tension in my chest break as I genuinely smiled. "You only notice now?!" I said in exasperation. 

Kyle laugh before giving me two thumbs up. "Nice dress" he complimented. I smiled sheepishly. "Sehun-ssi picked it" I said.

"Ahhhh" Kyle said, slapping Sehun's shoulder. "Good job! I should have known that Jiyoon could never pick something that nice" he said.

"Yah!" I snapped, whacking Kyle around the head with my purse. He slappend back, until mum separated us two. "Aigoo, really you two" she snapped, as Sehun chuckled.

My dad clapped his hands together, claiming everyone's attention immediately. "Right, then let's go" he said.

Me and Sehun were at the back of the line as we filed out of the house. He held his arm out to me, like in an old film style fashion. "Well, take it then" he insisted, poking his elbow into my rib.

I laughed, but took his arm anyway. I hadn't noticed earlier, but Sehun looked good. Like really good. He was wearing a smart black suit, with an undone bow tie around his neck and glittering cuffs. Not to mention he smelt soooo good. The smell of his usual citrus shower gel mixed with his gorgeous cologne could make you weak at the knees. His hair was also impeccably presented, like always, the dark strands laid neatly in a middle parting, yet still lookig a little messy in a flawless kind of way.

"What are you staring at?" He asked in amusement. I snapped my gaze away, feeling myself blush. I hadn't realised I was staring. 

"Nothing" I mumbled. Sehun chuckled, and I suddenly felt the light pressure of his lips on my forehead. I looked up in shock to see him smiling widely, a sincere smile, that turned his eyes into moon crescents and made my heart melt a little.

"Let's go Jiyoon-ah" he said, before leading the way.

A/N-okay so its been a loooong time since my last update I know! But give me a break, its summer and ive been rediculously busy. So finally its the charity event. I feel like the story's's going one for ages and so i want to wrap it up quickly, but we all know that l'll still end up taking months to finish it, with my other story aswell cx. Anyways, I'll update as soon as possible, so dont forget to suscribe and please comment, because I love that. Gamsahamnida~AlviinK