Dongshin University

Love at First Act

 

YOUR POV

The whole time we’re on our way to school, I was just looking at the car window. I am amazed on what I’m seeing outside. I’m really here. Then after a half an hour, we reached the university.

“Welcome to Dongshin University.” Then she points out at the big building in front of us. And wow! I am amazed on what I’m seeing. It’s a big university and everything I see is nice.

“Wow! This is where I’ll be studying?” with much amazement on my face.

“Yes, let’s go inside!” While on our way to the office of the Headmaster, I can’t take off my eyes around the stuffs I see like a kid. Everything just amazes me. Sojin-unnie suddenly stops in front of a glass door where I could read, that it is finally the Headmaster’s office.

“We’re here.” she knocked and opened the door. I followed her inside and I saw the Headmaster smiling on us. Sojin-unnie bowed to him and I did the same.

“Oh, you’re here. Welcome to Dongshin University, Ms. Maya Lim. I’m Mr. Kyungjin Lee, the  headmaster. Nice to have you here.” He offered s a handshake and I took it. 

“Nice to meet you too, Mr. Lee. Thank you for accepting me here. It’s my pleasure to be here. I’m looking forward to learn and enjoy my stay here in Korea.” I smiled back. We stayed there for about an hour to discuss everything.

  • I’ll be staying there until the winter break.
  • I’ll be staying in a dormitory near the university for my convenience.
  • I have to at least maintain a grade of 85 in all of my classes.
  • I’ll be expecting a thesis work to complete my requirements.
  • The school would not be responsible for my wrong actions.
  • Sojin-unnie is the one whom to call in case of emergencies.
  • The school would provide everything I need for my studies and will also give allowance every week.
  • I’ll be only attending English-speaking classes for my convenience.
  • And for further questions, I just have to ask Sojin-unnie.

 

Then after discussing those, they gave me my school ID. I’m so happy to have it and I can’t take off my eyes from it. After leaving the Headmaster’s, Sojin-unnie took me to my dormitory. It’s only 15 minutes away from our school and I only need to take a bus. It’s quite a nice building with 10 floors. 

“Are you excited to see your house?” Sojin-unnie asked.

“I’m about to die out of excitement” I smiled as if I’m going rip off my lips. We rode the elevator and headed to 4th floor. Thank goodness, it wasn’t that high. And as we reached it, we headed to the third door on our right. She opened the door and went inside while I follow her.

“So here it is. It might be quite small but I hope this is okay for you.” she started taking off her shoes and I did the same. I almost step in the floor with my shoes on, I even forgot this because of my excitement.

“I don’t care if I stay in a box as long as I’m studying here. It’s already the best!” I looked around the house. It wasn’t that spacious, there is a medium sized bed, a comfort room and a fully-furnished kitchen and even a PC. There’s also a refrigerator full of stocks of food. “This is too much, I even have a refrigerator full of food!” Sojin-unnie just smiled at me. I guess she understood how happy I am to be here.

“So here’s the key. It’s getting dark, I guess I have to go now. I’ll be visiting you tomorrow. I’m going to tour you, not necessarily around Seoul but to places that could be helpful for your stay here. Would that be okay?” she asked. OF COURSE!

“Of course, sure! Thank you so much unnie, you’ve been helping me a lot. Jeongmal Kamsamnida! Take care unnie, drive safely. I’m so excited, I don’t know if I’ll be able to sleep. I’m afraid if I wake up, I’m in Manila again and everything was just a dream.”

“Don’t worry, everything is real. Want me to pinch you?” and we both laugh. I send her off outside and had our goodbyes. I went back to my room as soon as her car took off.

“I’m finally here in Korea. I’m so excited of what will happen to me here. And I hope…” then suddenly my phone rings, it’s my mom.

“Hello, mom. I’m finally here!!! The school is really big. And my dorm is really nice. I even have a refrigerator full of stock of food. The weather is really nice, it’s summer yet it isn’t too hot. Mom, I’m so happy.”

“Oh really? I’m relieved. Would you be okay alone there? I’m happy you’re finally there. You’re dream finally come true. Take care of yourself there. It’s unusual environment for you. We miss you already.”

“Don’t worry, mom. I’ll be okay. I miss you too already. You too, take care. You hang up first, it’s an international call, it might be expensive.”

“Okay, I just want to be sure you arrived safely there. Take care always. I love you.”

“You too, mom. Take care and I love you. Bye” and my mom hang up. I went to have a shower and shocked that I have my own bathtub too! I’m so lucky to be here right now. I didn’t imagine any of this. I walked towards the window as soon as I finished showering and took in everything. All I can see is the nightlife of Seoul. Bright lights, busy people. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath and the scent is different. “I’m really here.” After sight-seeing, I went to check my e-mail and my SNS. My friends have been posting on my wall and asking how it is like to be in Seoul. They are all happy and jealous of me being here. So I took a picture outside my window and post it with a caption “Nightlife in Seoul. No words can describe how nice to be here. I’ll be happier if everyone are here with me!” then I uploaded it. And within just 30 seconds, 5 persons already liked it and commented on my post. And others followed to like it. I diligently reply to them until I get tired. I still haven’t able to rest since I came here. But how will I be able to sleep with this much happiness? I turned off the laptop and headed to my bed. I blankly stare at the ceiling while having my plans while here.

“I have to visit Han River, those dynasty palaces, Myeongdeong market, the malls, everything! I need to ask Sojin-unnie where to go. I don’t want to miss any ‘a must visit’ places here. But first I have to plan how will I am going to adjust to the people I’ll be interacting with. I have to learn basic Korean too for my convenience since not everyone here are good in English. I’m so excited! I also want to watch music shows here, I want to see my idols singing live and up close! I want to attend fan signings. I want to do a lot of things! I have to do a lot for 5 months. I want to make this stay full of happy memories and experiences.” While thinking a lot of these things, I didn’t realize I fell asleep already.