Chapter 5

One Stop Closer to Paris

Okay, so who's ready for chapter 5?:D  I'm sure all of you are wondering what the heck happened to Dara. Ha ha, enjoy:) 

 

 

 

 

I held my breath as Daniel helped me with the zip of this purple racing suit. 

"Kart number 11." The man said as he dropped the key in my shaking my hands. I was nervous, definitely nervous. 

After preparing, we were given a briefing. No bumping of karts are allowed, no overtaking, no stopping midway down the track. Blah blah blah.

After that, we ventured out into the track and climbed in to our carts. I was near hyperventilating as I turned to my right and gave Daniel the 'okay' sign.

"Alright listen up. Remember what we told you just now. Which one is the accelerator and which is the brake, all the rules and regulations. This will just be a small session for all of you to experience what is it like to race. Alright, are you guys ready?"

No. I wanted to scream. But it's too late, the Marshall's flag dropped and all the karts roared to life.

Panicked, I stomped on the accelerator and I was suddenly moving. My kart suddenly shuddered to life as the engine started to roar.

"WOAHHHH!" I cried. But no one could hear me over the racket.

"Welcome to the practice session ladies and gentlemen. Right now, kart number 3 is on the led, followed by kart number 13 and 9." The speaker cracked.

Daniel is in cart number 10, which means he had fallen behind. Even if he had the potential to overtake, he can't because this is a practice session.

I am pretty sure that I'm last. But I didn't dare to look back.

I took a deep breath and tightened my grip on the steering wheel. You got it Chaerin. I thought to myself as I mentally prepped myself.

I think I nearly crashed the accelerator by the strength I stepped on it. I felt the surge of energy rush through my body as my kart flew forward.

I grinned as I finally took control of the kart. I went faster and faster.

Wait, that's not me. Chaerin? A daredevil? You gotta be kidding me. 

When we had successfully completely fifteen laps, the session is over. We pulled over at the pit stop as other racers came over.

"You did pretty well you know." Daniel grinned at me. 

I struggled with the seatbelt. "I don't think I could get out of this thing." I grinned and Daniel extended a hand.

When he pulled me up, I can barely feel my legs anymore. I pulled my helmet out and shook my hair loose.

"You should let your hair down more often." Daniel said, carefully studying me from the side. "You look good like that."

"Really?" I puffed, jumping out of the racing suit. My mind was...in a whirl.

"That was awesome." I gushed once we were in his car.

"I never thought you would actually enjoy this. Most girls I asked just freaked out and said that they can't do this, can't do that."

"I just..." I bit down on my lip. "I like to try new things."

"And that's what I like about you."

A blush comes to my cheeks but I didn't shake my hair to let it cover my face. I wasn't scared now.

My heart did a little drop as our school comes to view. Daniel drives into the car park, and then parks his car. He sits quietly, as if he is waiting for something.

"So...I'll get going then, goodbye! It was fun." I said awkwardly.

"Wait," Daniel said haltingly. Before I could respond, he leaned over, pushing me onto the side of the car and...

Kissed me. 

Daniel freaking Choi kissed me.

ME.

"See you," he said lightly, getting out of the car.

I breathed. Because I think I surely forgot to for a few minutes.

I stumbled out of his car and nearly floated back to my dorm, where Jae Yi was happily watching TV.

"Oh Chaerin, how was the date?" She looked over her shoulder as I came huffing in. "Sorry, Cookies&Cream are sold out so I got you Lemon Sorbert."

"No no it's okay," I took the carton of ice-cream that she just bought and held it to my burning face. I could hear my heartbeat in my eardrums.

Jae Yi observed me for a while. "You're all pink."

I nearly cried out 'Yes! I'm in love!' But I stopped myself just in time.

"So how was it?" Jae Yi questioned. 

"We went racing, and it was so fun! The karts were just so fast." I gushed.

"How did you guys get there?" 

"We went by his car. Its a BMW, really cool-" I rattled until Jae Yi interuppted me.

"Did he open the car door for you when you got in?"

My mind halted for a while. Opening the car door for me? "Well...no...but-" I said falteringly when Ja Yi interuppted again.

"Did he pull out a chair for you to sit? Did he asked anything about you, yourself?" The questions were suddenly flying at my direction.

"What's wrong with you Jae Yi?" I said to the Jae Yi who seemed so intense right now.

"Answer my questions first. I bet all of the answers are a 'no' right?"

"Yeah, but I don't need him to pull out a chair for me." I protested.

"That's basic manners when you go on a date Chaerin." Jae Yi said primly. "Daniel only cares about things with wheels, not anything else."

"I don't know Jae Yi, but...Daniel kissed me today." I said hestitantly.

Jae Yi didn't blink. "He left scars on girls. Scars that could not be healed." Jae Yi's eyes were lit like a flame. "I really hope he doesn't do that to you."

"Th-thak you Jae Yi." I said, partly afraid of her intense stare.

Jae Yi gave a sigh, and turned back to the TV. I grabbed my Lemon Sorbert and a spoon and headed to my table. When I had just started eating, my phone suddenly started its ringing.

"Hello?"

"Chaerin, are you free? Or are you still on your date?" Minzy's voice came. Even on the phone, I could sense the urgency in her perplexed voice.

"Yeah totally. Oh yeah, has Dara came back yet?"

There was a loud, frustrated sigh at the other line. "Dara got drunk yesterday." Minzy said bitterly.

"What?" I squawked. "How?"

"She's been hanging out with a bunch of all those popular people. You know, hot girls and guys and they asked Dara along to go to the club yesterday."

"But Dara...Dara's only eighteen. She's not even legal yet!"

"They sneaked in, obviously. And Dara tried to act all hero-ish and took shots, about twenty cups, she told me when she tumbled in."

"When did she come in?"

"About five minutes ago, she's fast alseep now. When she came in all I could get out of her was that she spent a night at a boy's dorm and-"

"She spend the night at a boy's dorm?!" I screamed, causing Jae Yi to raise her eyebrows at me. 

"Yeah, like how the heck did she even did it?" I heard another sigh. "I checked her phong Chaerin, and there are lots of messages from those people. Asking her to hang out with them more and saying how fun was it with her yesterday." Minzy did a frustrated scream over the line. "What are we going to do?"

"Is Dara going to hangout with those people instead of us from now on?" I demanded. 

"I don't know. But I really hope she doesn't. I mean, Dara has been friends of us since the start of school."

I shook my head. "What's happening?" I wondered out loud. Was our friendship really breaking apart?

"Um Chaerin, I need to go and revise soon. I'll call you as soon as I get information out of the sober Dara. Bye!"

My appetite disappeared after I hung up. I slammed on the lid of the ice cream and stuffed in into the freezer.

"I'm going to hang out with my friends today Chaerin, wanna come along?" Jae Yi called as she switched off the television.

"No thanks." I said bitterly. 

"You sure? We are going to the Central Park, it'll be fun." 

"Nah it's alright. It's examination week anyway, I should start on my revision." I shrugged. 

After Jae Yi left, I switched on the TV. I wasn't about to revise when my mood had sank to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

A boring documentary was showing on the first channel. I pressed a button and the next channel was showing a zombie movie. I laid down on the sofa and stuck with that.

After a few minutes, the movie turned into one of the quiet, suspense moment when there are no zombies but you know that a zombie will be popping out anytime. I clutched to the pillow.

A coward. You are a stupid little coward Chaerin. I muttered to myself.

"Chaerin..." A faint whisper reached my ears. There's no mistaking that I heard it. My hair stood on ends as I grabbed the pillow even harder.

Suddenly, a distorted, bloody zombie jumped to the scream. Showing me it's teeth and all and making me scream blue murder. 

"You do know that you'll scare the crap of out your neighbors do you?" A familiar voice said.

I spun around, to see a grinning Ji Yong sitting at the edge of my window. 

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" I shrieked.

"I got bored, so when I was walking past your block I couldn't resist climbing it."

That's when I remembered that my dorm is on the third floor. "How...how did you even climb?"

"Easy, all the rooms have a small balcony to hold on to. Now will you just stop looking at me like a goldfish?"

I closed my mouth hurriedly. "You do know that there will be serious conseques if thy find out right?"

"Well let's just not get caught." Ji Yong winked before ing me a plastic bag. "Here, I brought some noodles just now. Do you want to eat?"

I accepted it gratefully. "Starving." I smiled as we made our way to the dining table. 

"I think it had cooled down a bit. Sorry." Ji Yong apologized as he slurped down his share of noddles.

"Oh that's alright," I barely even noticed anyway. "It's delicious." 

Ji Yong smiled and brushed his soft, blonde hair out of the way. That's when I realized I shouldn't be hanging out with him because Minzy would get hurt of she found out. I peered at him under my bangs and realized how close we are. Physically and in terms of friendship.

And the strange thing is...I like it. I like being close with Ji Yong. 

And why?

I scoffed down another gulp of noodles and that brings a smile to Ji Yong. 

"You must be hungry huh." He produces a cup of orange juice and stuck a straw through the top. He pushes it towards me. "Here, you can drink first."

I sipped from the straw. "This is really good. Where did you get it? I know our provision shop doesn't have this kind of orange juice."

"Just around, I can show you next time if you like. Now pass it over, I'm thirsty."

I passed it over. "Do you have another straw?"

"Nope, French people are not so saliva conscious you know." He said as he took a sip.

Instead of feeling disgusted that I just shared saliva with a boy, I felt happy. Ji Yong is really a true friend.

"Do you have plans tomorrow?" He asked as he passed the orange juice back.

I thought for a moment. "Nope."

"Do you want to go to the city with me?" He asked eagerly. 

I felt a bit strange. Doesn't Ji Yong likes Minzy? "Umm..." I stuttered.

"Well?" Ji Yong waited, obviously not embarrassed at asking someone straight out if they want to go out. 

"Do you want to ask Minzy along?"

"Sure, anything." Ji Yong replied, going back to eat his noodles.

"I'll ask her now." I picked up my phone and dialed Minzy.

"Hello?" Minzy answered. 

"Hey Minzy, uh Ji Yong just asked if we want to go to the city with him tomorrow. Fancy coming?"

"He asked me?! Oh no!" She wailed.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I can't go! I have cheerleader camp tomorrow!"

"What? Aw, that's so sad. Maybe next time you'll go with us Minzy." I comforted.

"Wait, he asked you too?"

"Uh...yes?"

"Oh...when did he ask you?"

"Just now."

"He called you?" Minzy asked suspiciously. "How did he have your number?"

"Erm no. I was walking outside and bumped into him."

"But you just told me you just got back from the date."

Damn! Since when was Minzy so smart?

"I...got hungry and I went out to get lunch!" I blabbered.

"Oh." 

Did I seriously just sensed jealousy?

"Oh goodbye Chaerin, I gotta go pack my stuff for tomorrow's camp. And have fun with Ji Yong."

So we're all cool! I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Minzy isn't like Dara who gets angry at the slightest stuff.

"It's fun hearing you tell a lie. Why don't you just tell her that I'm at your dorm?" Ji Yong voice came.

Because she likes you and she will get jealous! I wanted to scream.

"Erm that's actually because...Minzy fusses a lot haha. She'll hit the roof if she found out a boy was at my dorm."

The expression on Ji Yong's face relaxes. "So she can't come?"

"Yeah. Sorry."

"What are you sorry for? At least I can be with you." He smiled.

I seriously didn't know what does he meant. Being with me as a friend? Or more than that? Nah...he likes Minzy, of course Ji Yong only likes me as a friend.

But little did I know...

 

HEY GUYS:D so I wanna make a small announcement, I came up with a one shot. It's called Silver Autumn and I've already posted the foreword (≧∇≦)Please go and check it out!<3 story will probably be out tomorrow kekeke. 

Uh oh...Minzy's getting a teeny bit jealous. What do you all think? Does Ji Yong really likes her? Or not?

PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT AND ENJOY <333

-Evelyn:3