Chapter 38

One Stop Closer to Paris

Let's play a game called "How many months have I went without updating".

I'll give you the answer this time. Three. Long. Months.

I know I know, I always promise that I'll make the next update quick, but I really have been busy T-T

And to those who asked: No, I have not abandoned this story. Never ok owls. 

Chapter dedicated to lulu the whale. 

 

Last but not least, ENJOY~

 

 

There was a thirty second silence between us as my mind tried to process his words. The chilly autumn wind picked up, and suddenly I felt so cold, so vulnerable, like a lost sheep.

 

My feet automatically shuffled a few steps back as I wrapped my hands around my bare arms. Looks like wearing a tank top tonight wasn’t such a smart choice after all.

 

I looked up, staring into Daniel’s grey orbs.

 

"How did you know about all this?"

 

I felt as if so many things happened tonight. One minute I was just getting dressed, and the next minute I was already in the festival hall. And then…

 

Ji Yong went missing.

 

I don’t care what anyone says. Park has been causing too much drama and issues in my life and right now, I am going to take action.

 

Daniel was quiet for a few moments before back-facing me and lifting the top of his shirt to show me the tattoo on his upper back.

 

“You…you are one of their gang members.” I let out a gasp before stepping away from him.

 

“Were. I left the gang before Ji Yong even joined.” He explained, scratching his head like he is embarrassed.

 

"But why are you helping him? Helping me?" I asked disbelievingly. "I thought you hated me." I stared right back at him.

 

He sighed, running his fingers through his hair in a frustrated manner. "I'll explain later. But right now, we need to figure out where the hell is he."

 

That’s when an idea popped into my head as I suddenly remembered about the tracking device that Seungri gave me. "You don't have to worry about that." I replied, rummaging through my bag pack and fishing out the tracker. "I got this."

 

I switched the device on. But to my surprise, the blue triangles representing Ji Yong and Seungri are overlapping with mine. I shifted towards my right and my triangle was completely covering Ji Yong's.

 

"Impossible." I removed my right feet from the ground, uncovering two small, shiny black squares. I picked it up gingerly, examining the trackers. "But why would Seungri's tracker be together with Ji Yong's?" I wondered out loud, frowning.

 

"Isn't it obvious?" Daniel spoke, making my head whip in his direction. "Seungri is with Park. He was one of them who helped Park kidnap Ji Yong."

 

A feeling of denial began to rise up my chest. Seungri wouldn't, he wouldn't. I trusted that guy so much and now what.

 

He betrayed us?

 

"The little son of a b-" Before I could finish speaking, my phone shrilled loudly, instantly shattering the quiet ambience of the garden.

 

I took it out immediately. No , it's a blocked number. I turned it on speaker and pressed the 'answer' button.

 

"I see you have figured it out pretty quickly, sweetheart." Seungri's voice was like a knife to the gut, stabbing me breathless.

 

I reached to the back of my neck and painfully yanked out my tracker. "Ji Yong trusted you." I said through gritted teeth. "Where the living heck is he?"

 

I could hear muffled voices in the background as he spoke. "Not so fast Chaerin, we're going to have to play a few games before getting started. Yes?" I can almost see him grinning.

 

A click sounded and just like that, he hung up.

 

"What in the actual fu-" Daniel cursed, before getting interrupted by the ‘ding’ of my phone.

 

"It's from the blocked number again." I whispered, opening the text.

 

"Gayijeon 2 road; lights."

 

"It's an address." Daniel spoke over my shoulder. "I think I know this road."

 

"But how do we get there?"

 

"We run. From here onwards if you want to get to him fast, follow my lead. Right now, we go back to our dorms and change into an outfit that is comfortable to run in but preferably dark. Then, I'll meet you at side gate 4 in five minutes. Okay?"

 

I hesitated for only a nanosecond before I replied.

 

"Got it." I replied, the both of us taking off in the speed of light.

I know I should be highly suspicious of an ex-gang member. Seungri was one too, and look what happened when we trusted him.

 

Still, Ji Yong is in high danger and I needed to get to him as fast as I can. With a helping hand by my side, that should take a lot faster. I wasn’t going to refuse free assistance without risking my boyfriend’s life.

 

I didn't even take the elevator as I sprinted up to my dorm. Fumbling, I opened the door and dashed in.

 

I slipped into the tightest black jeans I own that are surprisingly stretchable and comfy. A leather jacket went over my black tank top. Taking all of my books out of my bag pack, I restocked it, remembering to be selective as I packed a few clean sets of clothes, some dry biscuits and two bottles of water.

 

Somehow, I had a hunch that they will be taking Ji Yong to a place out of the country. So I packed my passport as well as some cash sufficient enough to feed the both of us for two weeks.

 

When I've made sure I got everything I needed, I ran down, being fast but as stealthy as a cat.

 

"Hey," I panted when I reached our meeting place. "Ready to go?”

 

Our campus is located a few miles away from the main road, in front of the thick forest in our town. So it's not surprising that there isn't any traffic except for one or two buses. We ran, all the way down two roads before he finally stopped.

 

"It's here." He breathed, taking my phone from me as he stared at the clue given. "What does 'lights' mean?"

 

"Streetlights. There's a post it note right there." I pointed to the flickering street light that had caught my attention. Running over, Daniel leaped and caught the post-it in between his fingers.

 

"Caffeinated reflection."

 

"What the hell?" Frustrated, I sat down on the side of the road. "Is that supposed to be like, another clue?"

 

"It's a scavenger hunt." Daniel said quietly.

 

I turned to face him. "What?"

 

"One of the ways Park uses to lure his victims into their location, is planting clues all over, and leading them to the final location."

 

"Great, now what does that clue mean? Getting coffee?" I snorted, but then suddenly realised what it meant. "It's Coffee Chu Cafe, is it?"

 

"Dang right it is."

 

For the next three hours, we had practically run all over the whole town, chasing after the clues that we have found on each post-it note. It was physically draining, and I was near dying.

 

"There's no clue." Daniel frowned, staring at the post-it note that we had found stuck on a bicycle in a nearby car park.

 

I had both hands on my knees, bended over as I panted. "What do you mean?" Using the little ounce of strength I had left, I walked over to where he was standing and looked over his shoulder. Sure enough, the post-it was blank.

"Are they kidding us?!" I was so frustrated. An hour of running all across town in search of these clues had been physically and mentally draining. I dropped on to the floor, burying my head in between my knees as I caught my breath.

 

"No," His voice rang out. “I think I get it”

 

I stared at him as if he was crazy.

 

"Do you have a lighter?" He asked, staring at me with the calmest expression I've ever since.

 

I stared at him suspiciously as I handed him a small lighter that I carry around. Watching him, I was more than surprised when he held the flame under the post it.

 

"Now watch," He spoke. A bunch of number started to appear as he moved the flame around. He held it up for the second time. "Now here's our clue." He grinned.

 

I took it off him, examining the line of confusing numbers on the post it. "It's a phone number," I finally realised.

 

"Call it." Daniel handed my phone back to me as he stared expectantly.

 

I dialled it, putting it on speaker as the both of us waited for the other end to pick up.

 

"My my, you're pretty fast aren't you?" It was Seungri on the other end, to no surprise.

 

“I have enough of your games Seungri. Now tell me where he is.” I demanded.

 

“I’m pretty sure that smart little brain of yours will be able to decipher whatever clues that come your way. But for now, good luck finding the centre of the three.”

 

“Wait what- I started before the beeping sound told me that he hung up.

 

“What did the person on the line say? And who was he anyway?” Daniel took a seat beside me as he handed me a cold can of soda.

 

“Where did you get this soda?”

 

“There’s a vending machine just over there.”

 

“Oh. Anyway, the person on the line was Lee Seungri, Ji Yong’s closest friend in the gang.” I popped my can open and took a long sip.

 

Daniel frowned, “I think I know him. Park recruited him right before I left. He was just like me, good with computer work and target tracking.”

 

“He sure is.” I sighed, staring at my can with a gloomy look.

 

“So, care to tell me what happened?”

 

In the next five minutes, I explained everything to Daniel. He was surprisingly quiet, hanging on to every word I have to say.

 

“Wow, he is such an .” He commented when I have finished.

 

“As much of an as you were a few months ago.” I grinned at him before tossing him a packet of biscuits. “Just kidding.”

“No you were right. I was a selfish, deluded bastard that thought I was the hottest guy on earth at that point of time.” He shuddered at the memory.

 

“You were though,” I pointed out. “Girls were practically pinning themselves after you.”

 

“Including you, Chaerin.” He gave me a nudge playfully.

 

“Urgh. Don’t even.”

 

We both then burst out in laughter, our giggles echoing throughout this empty car park.

 

Before either of us could continue saying something stupid, my phone beeped, signalling the arrival of a new message.

 

I opened it cautiously, with Daniel looking over my shoulder.

 

“What is this?” He frowned, leaning forward to look at the picture that Seungri had sent us both.

 

I stared at the confusing image right before me. It was a picture of an Eiffel Tower lying down, with the top pointing west-wards.

 

“Well, at least we know that they are near France, that’s for sure.” I replied dryly.

 

“It’s another clue. Let’s try to solve this now.” Daniel said, whipping out his laptop from his bag and going straight to work.

 

We searched on France, the Eiffel Tower, and even famous countries to find any information that could relate to the clue that we were given.

 

“Could you get me another soda please, thanks.” Daniel tapped my shoulder, sounding almost half dead after an hour of researching.

 

I glanced at my watch. It’s fifteen to one in the morning.

 

“Of course.”

 

So far, we got nothing, absolutely nothing. At this rate, it would be hard to get there on time, especially when we don’t know where is the place at.

 

Another hour has passed and Daniel had fallen asleep. I being the person that is extremely sensitive to caffeine am still wide awake at 2am in the morning.

 

It’s just a picture. That shouldn’t be too hard to figure out, right?

 

There were still a couple of countries in France that we haven’t researched on yet. I grabbed Daniel’s laptop and googled the next city on the list: Luxembourg.

 

Nope. Nothing at all.

 

I sighed, running my hand through my hair. Why did I waste time researching this country anyway? Besides from having a flag that looked similar to France, this country has absolutely no-

 

Wait a second.

 

I grabbed my phone, almost dropping it because my hand was shaking too much from the excitement.

 

Opening the image once more, I made sure to double check my assumption. An Eiffel Tower tilted to the left. Yes, that’s it.

 

“Psst, Daniel.” I nudged him with my elbow a few times. When he didn’t budge, I then took the liberty of smacking his shoulder. “Daniel!”

 

“Huh? What? What just happened?” He yawned sleepily as he sat up unwillingly.

 

“I solved it. It’s Luxembourg. Ji Yong is in Luxembourg.”

 

Daniel’s face immediately transformed into a wide-eyed and incredulous expression. “Are you certain?” He quickly scooted over to his laptop. “How does this relates to the Eiffel Tower?”

 

“It’s the flag, Daniel. If you take the France flag and tilt it in the angle of the Eiffel Tower, you get the flag of Luxembourg!”

 

“Oh my lord, you’re right!” He whispered. “But wait, it could be Netherlands flag as well. Netherlands and Luxembourg have the exact same flag, except that the blue is lighter for Luxembourg.”

 

“There’s an explanation for that as well.” I slowly realised. “When Seungri called me just now, there was a sentence he said before he hung up.”

 

“Well, what is it?” Daniel asked eagerly.

 

I frowned as I tried to recall. “Good luck finding the middle of the three!” I exclaimed. “That’s what he said. And do you know what surrounds Luxembourg? Three countries: France, Germany and Belgium!”

 

Daniel and I stared at each other and grinned. We finally solved the big clue; all there is to do now is to get ourselves on a plane to Luxembourg.

 

_____________________

 

“Ow, idiot you stepped on my foot.” I grimaced as Daniel crossed over my legs, treating it like a hurdle.

 

“Sorry,” He sat down beside me and buckled his belt. “But this plane offers free peanuts, I mean, how cool is that?”

 

I watched him scarf down a packet and sighed. “Almost every plane offers you free snacks Daniel.”

 

We’re now on board a plane heading towards Luxembourg. It’ll take about 11 hours for us to reach Luxembourg and I’m already bored to death after just thirty minutes.

 

“Oh yeah, you were making a call at one of the payphones just now. Who was it?” Daniel asked while swallowing the last few of his peanuts.

 

I had called Aimee earlier to inform her of what has been happening for the past 24 hours, and she is just as worried sick about Ji Yong as I am.

 

“Oh just a friend, Aimee.” I answered casually.

 

When Daniel didn’t reply, I looked over to see him completely frozen. “Aimee? As in the Aimee? Aimee Beauxquett?

“Why do I keep forgetting that you used to be in Park’s gang.”

 

“What happened? Why would you guys be contacting her? Fill me in! Fill me in!” He bounced up and down like a child.

 

When I was done explaining, Daniel exhaled slowly and loudly. “Wow, I never knew she would actually run away from Park. You never know how crazy about him she used to be.”

 

It was hard to imagine Aimee being crazy about Park, the psychotic, ruthless killer. But then again, so much had changed.

 

“Let me guess, you called Aimee through a payphone because you didn’t want Seungri to be tracking your phone and happened to chance upon you calling Aimee right?”

 

“That’s right detective Dan.”

 

“Ha ha very funny.” He snorted, but suddenly beckoned me closer. “Just now before we reached the airport, I contacted one of my old gang mates who lives in France. Later on when we reach Luxembourg, we’ll have to meet him so that he can pass us some supplies.”

 

“Hmm ok.”

 

Once I decided to trust Daniel, I already knew that there will be no turning back. In just 10 hours, I will be Luxembourg. I either make it back dead like what Park wanted…

 

Or I fight to stay alive.

 

 

 

 

I'm definitely going to get mixed responses for bringing Daniel back. Let me know in the comments how you guys feel about it ^-^.

It's been long, so...COMPUTER HUGG   n_____________n

Sunshines and kisses for everyone who supported this fic ;_;

 

Behind the Scenes~

 

Daniel: wow yes I am so smart and intelligent to figure out that clue about Luxembourg. DANIEL FTW.

Chaerin: um no actually I solved it...

Daniel: *doesn't hear Chaerin as he runs around the stage hi-fiving readers*

Chaerin: *glares at author* Why did you bring him back?

Author: *doen't hear Chaerin as readers throws eggs and trash angrily at author*

Chaerin: Urghh...Minzy Dara what should I do?

M&D: *doesn't hear Chaerin as they continues to watch drama*

Chaerin: T___T why does Ji Yong have to be in Luxembourg when I need him?

 

 

 

 

That's it for this chapter, hopefully my next update will be much faster than this one ^-^;

See you next time (OvO)/

LOTS OF LOVE AND AIRPLANE FOOD~