Chapter 45 (Final)

One Stop Closer to Paris

"They say let the ones you love go. If they are yours, they'll come back one day. And if they don't, then they weren't yours to keep in the first place."

 


 

Just what the hell is the emergency number for the French ambulance?

No no-I'm not asking for fun, I'm asking because I think I actually might faint. 

Only three seconds passed, or maybe it was four...either way, it felt as if an eternity has passed since we made eye contact. 

My fingers were instantly numb and my throat suddenly felt way drier than before. My heart felt as if someone dumped kerosene over it and lit it with a flame; burning so wildly and fiercely that it felt as if it would stop beating.

No ing way. 

But apparently, there was a way, because right in front of me, living and breathing, stood Kwon Ji Yong. 

"Nice seeing you again," His lips were opening and closing with the slightest parting, speaking with such ease. "Chaerin."

Chaerin. 

If you were to pass by me on that street at that exact moment; 8:42am in the morning to be precise, you would have seen me right there and then, dumbfounded, looking completely dazed at the tall, handsome suited man in front of me.

My knees nearly gave way right after hearing my name slip through his lips like honey, I'm not exaggerating. 

This...this...jerk.

So I replied with a steady voice the same generic answer anyone would expect. What else could I have said?

Seconds ticked by and we are still staring at each other. His pupils, oh those sinfully dark brown pupils I've missed terribly, searched mine carefully. I maintained eye contact daringly, telling myself repeatedly not to pass out. 

Where were you? Those words were just behind my throat. Just behind. All I have to do is to open my mouth to speak and those words would fall out of my mouth and into the spring breeze of France, but I kept silent, afraid of the odds and the unfamiliarity. 

"Are you free? Let's go grab a drink right now." He invited in Korean, mouth tilting skywards as his smiled his coy smile, the smile that I adored.

I swallowed the words that were previously threatening to spill, "Yeah, sure. Let's go."

He turned then, walking briskly and leading me into one of the vintage French cafes I was previously snapping photos of. He pushed open the glass door and gestured for me to enter first, just like the gentlemen he was three years ago.

The waiter gave us a seat that was near the window of the cafe, giving us a clear view of the street outside. 

"What can I get for you two lovely customers?" The waiter asked politely in French.

"I'll have a citrus tea." I decided after pretending to ponder over the menu for a few seconds. Everything else on the menu contained caffeine, which I had an extremely low tolerance for. 

"Same for me," Ji Yong's voice floated across, surprising me so much that my head snapped up. 

"Coming right up, monsieur and mademoiselle." 

"You didn't order coffee," I say immediately after the waiter had left. 

"Yes, I didn't." His eyes were twinkling with something. Something I couldn't decipher. 

"You don't drink citrus tea," I continued, staring at him. 

"I just felt like it today." He replied, his tone sounding almost amused. 

I had to stop myself from narrowing my eyes. Is he playing with me?

The waiter came back a few minutes later, setting the beverages on the table with a heavily accented 'enjoy'. 

Wordlessly, the both of us picked up our cups and sipped from it. A million thoughts are whirling in my mind as I peeked at him through the gap between my finger and the cup. 

How has he been? What has he been doing exactly? Why hasn't he returned to Korea? Does he even care about me?

My grip on the cup tightened subconsciously.

"You're even more beautiful now." He remarked suddenly.

A loud crash was heard as the cup slipped from my hand and shattered on the polished floor of the cafe. Ji Yong stared, mouth as wide as a saucer as I stood up immediately. 

A waiter rushed over. "Oh my, are you alright mademoiselle?"

"I'm fine," I replied the waiter in French and then switched my dialect to Korean. "I have enough, I'm leaving," I said coldly as I met his stare.

"Chaerin wait-" He begun but I had already taken off, pushing the cafe doors and sprinting away as far as I can.

 

 


 

I had been holding on to a promise of a guy from three years ago.

"I'll come back for you, I promise." He said.

Bull. 

I smacked the poor bed I was sitting on, hugging my knees as I cried my heart and soul out. I turned to reach for another tissue but oh-I've already used them up. 

I sighed as I closed my eyes. You're pathetic, Chaerin. I told myself.

There is no hard and fast truth on what actually triggered my tears, but I'll blame it on the initial shock build up when I first saw him on the street. 

I was bursting with emotions and feelings because I finally saw the one I was longing for after three years, but him? Ha ha, he didn't even look that excited.

I wiped my tears with my fingers hurriedly. I still have a conference to attend in three hours time. And it is the conference, so I can't go in looking as if I just went through a high school break up. 

Get yourself together. 

After washing my face thoroughly with ice cold water, my face looked less swollen. At least that is what I told myself as I stared through the mirror.

The only thing is...my eyes doesn't look happy. 

No matter how hard I try to force it, my pupils reflected pain and hurt, sorrow and sadness. 

Forget it, it'll go away once you feel better later. I told myself as I glared at my reflection. 

Let's get this conference over and done with.

 

 


 

I honestly thought that nothing could worsen my day. 

But of course, I was proven wrong when I saw Kwon Ji Yong walking into the conference room just ten minutes ago. 

I'm not kidding. The Kwon Ji Yong whom I met this morning (and is also my proclaimed first love), just walked into this very conference room ten minutes ago. 

To make matters worse, he chose to sit on the seat that was directly opposite to me. 

Not to mention that when he sat down, he actually fired a small glare towards my direction. Yes, a glare. 

"Alright, now that everyone is present. Let's formally begin the conference." Mr. Leyroy spoke into the microphone on his desk. 

To my surprise, the conference actually went pretty smoothly. The respective project leaders made their presentation and when the round of voting came, our investment company unanimously made the decision to sign the contract.

"Thank you so much for all your help the past week, Mr. Leyroy." I thanked gratefully as I shook his head. 

"No problem, Ms. Chaerin. Oh, I would you to met my cousin."

Within a matter of seconds, Ji Yong was suddenly by his side looking at me with an expression I couldn't read, 

"Wait, you're his cousin?" I asked Mr. Leyroy as my mouth fell open in surprise. 

"Yes. Why, do you know him?"

I answered 'no' just as Ji Yong replied with a 'yes'. We both stared at each other in shock and then looked away hurriedly.

Mr. Leyroy only chuckled amusingly. "Alright, let's all head to the Eiffel Tower for dinner now. I've invited your whole company." He told me. 

Woah, we're going to the Eiffel Tower for dinner? "Oh, okay."

Not only did Mr. Leyroy invite everyone involved in the conference to dinner, but he also got black cars to chauffeur us over. 

Upon reaching, we were all split into three different tables due to the huge number. And I had the luck to end up at the same table as him.  

Don't even mention the word 'awkward'.

Luckily we also had Mr. Leyroy with us, who did most of the talking initially. After the food was serve, there was complete silence at the table as everyone filled their stomachs except small talks here and there. 

The food was actually pretty great here. The appetizer was a tasteful tomato soup, with a main course of French style lambchops. 

I was happily eating while maintaining a casual conversation with one of the conference members on my right when I looked up and accidentally caught Ji Yong's eye.

He has been staring at me.

As if by magic, my appetite disappeared. The wonderful taste of lamb on my tongue was gone, replaced by the reminiscence of tears and anguish earlier in the afternoon. 

"I'm going to check out the view," I informed the French conference member I was previously chatting with, and then standing up and leaving. 

I wasn't lying when I said I was going to check out the view, but I mainly wanted some fresh air. 

I sighed as I stared down at all the bright lights of the city and the cars whizzing by. I still can't believe that I was having dinner at the very Eiffel tower in France. 

I knew I shouldn't, but my thoughts returned to Ji Yong. I began wondering about the glare he shot me at the start of the conference, and the way he looked at me just now in the restaurant. 

I shook my head. Stop it. 

"Stop what?" A voice said from behind. 

I whipped around so fast that I almost fell. An arm wrapped itself around my waist, catching me just before my body could touch the ground.

The good news is, I didn't fall. So one less broken neck to worry about. 

But the bad news is, Ji Yong's face is now approximately just a mere five centimeters away from mine. 

"Your habit of speaking out your thoughts still hasn't changed." He grinned. 

I pushed him away lightly as I adjusted my clothes. "You followed me?"

"Nah just wanted to check out the view too." He said, sounding so casual that the hurt was ripping through my chest again. 

When I didn't reply him, he took my hand, surprising me so much that I let out a yelp. 

"Why are you avoiding me?" His voice is different now. It sounded strained, hurt and painful. 

I look up in surprise to see him. Kwon Ji Yong was almost in tears as he grabbed my hand once more. 

"Avoiding you?" I almost laughed as I felt my own tears coming. "Who was the one who did not return to Korea these three years? Who was the one who didn't bother contacting everyone these three years?" I saw Ji Yong opening his mouth to speak, but I continued without hesitation. "Why did you seem so calm, so fine and dandy this afternoon while I wanted to scream, to hug you tight and tell you that I missed you?"

It was no use stopping the tears right there and then. 

I knelt down and started sobbing uncontrollably. I hated it. I hated losing control of myself in front of him. He probably thinks I'm some kind of overly attached freak and will probably run back to the restaurant and-

"Shhh Chaerry, I'm here." My chin was suddenly resting on his shoulder as both of his arms wrapped me around in a tight embrace. 

"Pabo, don't you know that it is because you're actually here that's why I'm crying?" I continued as I cried softly, causing him to chuckle.

"Seriously, you can even be sarcastic even when you are crying." He laughed.

"Shut up." I hiccuped.

Ji Yong then grabbed both of my shoulders as pulled away, staring at me straight in the eye. "But Chaerin, regarding what you said earlier, I have a counter argument."

I wiped my eyes as we both stood up. Crossing my hands over my chest, I pretended to glare at him. "Go on."

"Firstly, I did contact you. Jesus christ Chaerin do you know that my phone almost broke because I called your phone too many times? And also I was going to return to Korea, but then I saw the list of representatives from your company who will be coming over for this investment partnership agreement so I decided to stay and wait for you to come here and surprise you. Lastly, do you know that I nearly fainted on the spot after realizing that it was you on the street? I also ran for an hour on the street looking for you earlier when you left the cafe and-"

He halted his passionate speech due to my laughter. 

"Wait, wait." I breathed as I tried to suppress my giggles. "You tried contacting me through my phone?"

Ji Yong looked at me as if I had gone mad. "Yeah. I called you so many times but it would always ring for a moment and then get cut off. I really didn't know why would you reject my calls but I felt really sad and depressed so-"

This time, I erupted in laughter.

He stared at me in utter confusion as my laughter continued, tears even streaming down my face. 

"Ji Yong," I said as calmly as I could after calming down. 

"Yes?" He sounds almost afraid now, which is so funny that it almost made me laugh again. 

"My phone has destroyed in the fire at Park's mansion three years ago. You were probably calling a stranger's phone, who switched to my number after my phone was destroyed."

"Oh." He remained stunned to the ground for a few moments, before laughing uncontrollably as well. "So, we were both thinking that we ignored each other when it just a stupid misunderstanding?"

"Pretty much." I laughed. "But you still haven't explained why you didn't return to Korea though."

"Remembered how Mr. Leyroy said that we are cousins? Well, his father, which is also the CEO of the company, is my uncle and I couldn't leave for three years straight because I promised my uncle that I would work hard and settle some issues of the company."

"Ohhh, I see." I nodded, understanding the issue much better.

He suddenly came forward to hug me, which caused my body to tense immensely. "I'm sorry Chaerin, for glaring at you just now in the afternoon."

Slowly, I wrapped my arms around his back. "I'm sorry too, for ditching you at the cafe."

His lips met mine in flash, making my entire body freeze. 

"What was that?" I asked breathlessly as he pulled away.

"I've always wanted to bring you here and kiss you on the Effiel Tower." He smiled down at me as he leaned in for another kiss.

"Ahhh...but I'm actually really curious. How many times did you actually call that dead handphone of mine?" I asked.

He then proceeded to pull out his phone and showed me his call logs. 

"Most popular call logs...Maman, Mr. Leyroy, Boss, Jackie..." I read. "Wait, I'm not here."

"I know." He replied before pressing a button and then showing me his phone again.

"Most missed call logs...Piglet Chaerry, A THOUSAND, FOUR HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN MISSED CALLS?"

"Three years..." He sighed, switching off his phone and sliding it into his pocket. "I've been trying to reach you through a dead phone for three years."

We both laughed then. Happy at the fact that it was just a misunderstanding, happy that we're back together again and most importantly, happy that our feelings for each other didn't change a single bit.

"What happens after today?" I asked as the both of us admired the night view of Paris.

"I'll book the same flight as yours and we will travel back to Korea together. Then I'll stay by your side every day spoiling you and loving you and giving you all that you deserve." He continued happily. 

"And then?"

"And then I'll propose to you, which you will hopefully agree to and then we'll get married and have as many kids as you want and we will-"

His sentence got cut off when I pressed my lips to his. 

"You have to continue teaching me French, though," I whispered. 

"Bien sûr, je veux, ma dame. (Of course I will, my lady)" He replied before grinning like a fool and pulling me close. "I love you, Lee Chaerin."

I smiled. An angry swarm of butterflies is now attacking my stomach but I didn't care. I was grateful and thankful. Thankful that we met in high school, and thankful that we are both still alive and well and lastly, thankful that we found ourselves through each other.

 

 

"I love you too, Kwon Ji Yong."

 

-THE END-

 


This is it. You've just read the ending for One Stop Closer to Paris.

*tears* it has been a long 2 years writing this and I sincerely thank each and everyone one of you who stuck by me. Thank you for supporting this fanfiction in every way possible, I love you guys <3

There will be an epilogue coming up, so we still have one more chapter to go xD 

Once again, thank you for all the patience and kind words. It has been a really wonderful journey writing this T-T

 

[ Behind the scenes ]

Chaerin: wait, THE end? Are you saying that the story has ended? *disbelief*

Ji Yong: END??? LIKE, NO MORE???? 

Rest of the characters: *pauses and stares in shock*

Author: It has been a fun journey writing about all of you and teasing Ji Yong about how idiotic he is

Ji Yong: Am not! You're the retarded one!

Daniel: I may be imaginary but you'll sure see me in real life some day *winks*

Author: *groans*

Characters: *groans*

Daniel ...What?

Chaerin: *starts bawling* I can't believe I won't ever see all these lovely readers anymore!

Author: *wipes a tear* same for me too...but goodbyes has to be said...

*All characters starts to tear*

Author: there's still an epilogue though, so don't worry.

Ji Yong: wait what there's still one more chapter?

Chaerin: Oh...jeez I feel dumb for crying now

Characters: *runs after author* WHY DID YOU MAKE US CRY

Author: looks like I gotta run lol.

 

Reminder again that I will be posting an Interview section in the chapter after the epilogue. This section features questions that you guys have directed either to me, or the cast of One Stop Closer to Paris!

So feel free to ask questions to any character in the fanfiction, or to myself ^__^

 

Submit your questions here:   http://goo.gl/forms/DVPjeBcHt5QhcfVw2

 

[SHAMELESS ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ARMYS]

Hey you, yes you. The one who stopped scrolling to read this message.

If you are a fan of BTS, please do check out a BTS one-shot collection I've published on my new account.

It's full of fluff and might potentially give you diabetes xD So do click at your own risk.

You can check out 'Iridescence' here: https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1181061

-end of announcement-

 

Blimey, I wonder what time it is *pretends to checks watch*

(Ji Yong: r u not going to stop making that joke every single time?)

*ignores him* GIF TIME~

 

 

Thank you all so much and let's meet again next week! :)

 

Lots of love and skydragon <3