Chapter 44

One Stop Closer to Paris

"And when I saw you again after all these time, I found myself spiralling down into a bottomless pit of awestruck;

I lost my mind."


 

God damn; this city is amazing.

Golden soft rays were spilt across the glass table as the sun made its descent. Small pink clouds floated lazily over the evening sky, the pink and yellow mixing into one beautiful picturesque scenery. 

There's only one thing that is making me uncomfortable in this lovely country: couples. 

I don't have anything against couples that hold hands or kiss in public but in the City of Love, everyone is so affectionate that it makes me miss him a lot.

"Do you have any questions regarding the investment details, Ms. Lee?" The kind gentleman before me asked in French.

"I do, actually. I was wondering if you could elaborate on page 15, clause 7 of the contract..." 

It has been a three-hour meeting so far with the representative of our investment company and I was seriously getting quite bored. But I had to do this properly and make a 'good impression', like what my boss said before sending us off on a business trip to France to finalise the deal.

"If all goes well tomorrow, the deal will be sealed and our company will most likely to sign the contract, so you do not have to worry Ms. Lee." Mr. Leyroy smiled as he took a sip of his espresso.

Phew. 

"Thank you," I answered, glancing at the macaroons and the other French pastries that I have yet to touch. 

"By the way Ms. Lee, your French is relatively good for a foreigner. Did you take lessons when you were young? Mr. Leyroy asked, pushing the plate of colourful pastries to me.

I took a small croissant hesitantly, "I had French lessons in university." I forced a smile.

"You're extremely fluent, I'm impressed."

A few minutes of casual chat later, we both stood up to leave. 

"Rest well today so that you will have energy for tomorrow, Ms. Lee." Mr. Leyroy offered another one of his smiles .

Tomorrow. The conference day where both companies will be finalising the investment partnership. In short, it's a five-hour long meeting where I will be speaking for most of the time. 

I am extremely nervous because it will be the first time that all representatives will be seeing each other tomorrow. So far I've only met with Mr. Leyroy, and two other representatives from the French business company that we are partnering up with.

Anyways, I went back to the hotel quickly, eager to have a good rest.  A business trip is actually extremely tiring, for some reason. 

"Oh hey Chaerin, you're back." My team greeted warmly as they proceeded to invite me for dinner. 

"Sorry guys, I'm a little tired today." I apologised. "I think I'll just head back to work on the presentation tomorrow, you guys go ahead!"

I then headed back up to my assigned room, a luxurious single bed. Okay, maybe the 'single bed' part takes away how desirable this room was but hey, everyone had to share a double. 

I changed out into my comfortable pj's, relieved to be out of the work clothes that are slightly uncomfortable. Flopping onto the soft hotel bed, I called Kal immediately. 

"You made me lose at Candy Crush." The first sentence came grudgingly.

I chuckled. "Well sorry, but I need someone to talk to and from past experiences, you're always the first one I call."

"I'm touched, now talk."

"I just need you to tell me a remedy or cure for stage fright, I'm presenting tomorrow and the nerves are killing me." I rolled over on my back and stared at the blank ceiling.

"Breathe in and out; think of happy things. Oh, and make sure to pee beforehand."

"Wow, I can totally rely on you to make me feel better." I drawled. "By the way, have you eaten dinner yet?"

"What dinner? It's 2 in the afternoon here."

"Oh right, I forgot about the time difference." I rubbed my face tiredly. 

"I'm having lunch now, though, and my break is about to be over soon so I don't think I'll last long."

My phone suddenly buzzed. Pulling it away from my ear, my mouth immediately tilted skywards when I saw who was calling.

"That's okay, I got to go now anyways, Daniel's calling."

"Ohhhhh okay, I'll call you tomorrow!"

I ended the call quickly with Kal and answered the incoming call.

"HEEEEYYYY!" A loud, annoying voice almost burst my eardrums when I swiped the phone. 

"Jesus, keep it down. You're causing me ear cancer."

"Excuse me, this is the first time I successfully called you at a time that you are not busy during your stupid business trip, is this how you greet your bestest guy friend?"

"Yes," I answered, and then proceeded to snort with laughter.

"Hmph, you haven't told me what are you up to, though."

"I'm resting in preparation for tomorrow, what else could I be doing, ?"

"I'd punch you if you are right here with me."

"I know," I replied airily. "Which is why I am speaking my mind now that we are 7 hours apart."

Daniel huffed. "Anyways, I need your advice on what to get for Dohee." I could almost hear him blush as he mentioned his girlfriend's name.

"Roses, chocolates, teddy bears..." I rambled, listing all the generic gifts I could think of. "Just get a sweet birthday gift for a sweet girl, it ain't that hard."

"I want to surprise her, though," he continued on thoughtfully. "I know you're single but, what surprises do you like? Maybe that will give me some ideas."

Surprises? Thinking about the word Daniel mentioned, my mind suddenly flew back to about three years ago when a particular guy I had a crush on stood below my window and asked me to be his prom date.

An unexplainable feeling shot through my stomach. I don't know if it was pain, sadness or just plain longing but I won't allow it. This is not the time for me to be reminiscing old memories.

"I don't like surprises," I answered, shutting my eyes. 

We ended the call shortly after, with a promise to call each other tomorrow. I laid on the bed, still and unmoving. My mind filled with the thoughts of only one person. 

Kwon Ji Yong.

I would be lying if I say that I do not have any feelings left for the guy. But it is partly his fault for leaving and causing so much confusion and hurt in my life. 

I got up and walked towards the glass side of the room which showed me the city's night view. The sight was beautiful and I was instantly drunk in the view of illuminated tall buildings coupled with twinkling stars in the sky. 

I could even see the Eiffel Tower from where I stood. 

It was an iconic structure I always wanted to see, not as a student learning French in university, but as a young girl in love with the country France. 

I really didn't know why, but I liked the country even from an extremely young age. I made it my personal goal to see it in person after meeting Ji Yong, but now that I'm actually here, it doesn't seem meaningful anymore.

I closed my eyes as I tried to send him a message telepathically. I know it's pretty stupid, but it calms me so whatever. 

No matter where the hell in the world you are right now, I just want you to be safe. Maybe we'll see each other soon, in a few years, hopefully. I'll pretend that I'm presenting to you tomorrow so I don't feel as nervous. 

I scrunched up my face while thinking about what else to say to him. There was nothing else, so I opened my eyes and got lost in the dark night sky, once again. 

 


 

The next morning seemed to came right after I fell asleep. I woke up and got ready in a flurry, making sure everything was in order before heading down for breakfast. 

"Is everyone awake?" I sent to the company team chat group.

"I just woke up but I don't think the others are awake. Why do you ask though?" Someone in the team replied.

"I just want you guys to gather and prepare earlier." I answered. 

"Project leader, the meeting is in the afternoon."

Okay, maybe I was a little too paranoid to wake everyone up at 8 in the morning. 

Breathing in and out, I told myself to calm down before I decided to head onto the streets of Paris. 

Taking a walk would calm me down, right?

The weather seemed to answer me right after I stepped out of the hotel. The lovely spring breeze it's fingers through my hair, and the sun was just peeking behind the clouds. 

I strolled along the street, pausing every one or two minute to drink in the sight of this stunning city. The sky was an azure blue, the kind of blue you would want to see on any spring day. People passing by were all speaking in the native language of this city, the language swirling off the tip of their tongues so fluently that I had to take a few seconds to understand what they are actually saying. 

Someone on the street handed me a flyer about a restuarant serving authentic French cuisine, I pocketed it happily, reminding myself to try it today after the conference. 

I continued walking and a few moments later, decided to take out my phone to snap a few pictures of the city. Afterall, how many times in my life would I get to visit Paris again?

I was trying my best to take a picture of a vintage looking French cafe without capturing strangers inside when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Excusez-moi manque, vous avez laissé tomber cela. (Excuse me miss, you dropped this).​"

It took me a second to realised that a kind stranger was informing me about something I might have dropped. I turned around, ready say to thank the stranger when suddenly I caught sight of the person talking to me. 

It can't be. 

My breathing stopped. My panic rose as my pulse quickened. 

The stranger before me started to mirror my shocked expression as he realised something.

What in the world-

"Hey..."

"Erm..." We both spoke at the same time in Korean. 

He let out a nervous laugh. "Nice seeing you again, Chaerin."

I couldn't speak. It felt as if someone just knocked the wind out of me and punched me in the face. 

It's him. It actually is him. 

I swallowed my nerves and forced myself to be calm. Calm and steady, calm and steady. 

"Nice seeing you too," I started off, my voice surprisingly stable.

 

 

 

 

"Kwon Ji Yong."

 


 

Lo and behold, the skydragon couple reunites!

Yes guys, I promised to update on 7 October and the update is here~ 

As previously mentioned, I will be posting the rest of this fanfic on the following dates:

Chapter 45 (final) - October 14

Epilogue - October 21

After which, I will be posting a Interview section~~ :D this section features questions that you guys have directed either to me, or the cast of One Stop Closer to Paris!

So feel free to ask questions to any character in the fanfiction, or to myself ^__^

 

Submit your questions here:  http://goo.gl/forms/DVPjeBcHt5QhcfVw2

This questions box will be opened from now all the way to October 27th, so take your time to submit your questions :)

 

[ BEHIND THE SCENES ]

Ji Yong: Huh *looks at date* you're actually on time. For once. 

Author: Hey. I literally just ended my examinations two days ago and you're here giving me your attitude *huffs and turns away*

Daniel: *throwing confetti and dances* I'm having a mini celebration because authornim finally included me in a chapter(⌒▽⌒)☆  but not in person though  (←_←)

Dara: at least she included you...

Minzy: yeah she probably forgot about us (。╯3╰。)

Author: omg never

Chaerin: no they're right, your attention is now all on that hoseok guy

Everyone: *pauses* wait, who?

Chaerin: That guy right there *points* HEY YOU!

Hoseok: Y-yes? ∑(O_O;) 

Chaerin: How dare you steal authornim from us?! ヽ(`⌒´メ)ノ

Rest: *agrees and angrily cheers on*

Hoseok: *glances back at the rest of BTS* but I... (⊙_⊙)

Chaerin: GET AWAY FROM HER (ノ°益°)ノ 

Hoseok: *runs back crying* What did I do? 。・゚゚*(>д<)*゚゚・。 

Author: *tries to run after hoseok but is being held tight by characters* NOOOO o(〒﹏〒)o

 

 

 

and now it's time for ........ *drumrolls* gifs!

 

 

Taeyang HAHAHAHAHAHAH

 

They are so cute I miss them :'(

I do not ship sunsky but hey this is pretty cute :D

 

 

And here's hoseok, please don't hate on him :( <3

 

TILL WE MEET AGAIN NEXT WEEK (OvO)/ 

LOTS OF LOVE AND ROASTED ALMONDS