Training

The student and the rapper

“Okay, Jane. You may be a YG trainee, but you can’t slack off on school. You need to study just as hard.” Jane told herself the next day. She knew there were a lot of things she didn’t know when it came to Korean culture and that was one of the reasons why she needed to study hard. Besides, her first reason of coming to Korea was to study. The fact that she was accepted into YG was just an extra (a very big one, but an extra nonetheless). She hoped she could keep it under wraps for a few more days. The fact that she had auditioned was revealed because she wasn’t the only one to attend. But besides Junghee, no one knew she was accepted. The stares she received before being accepted were scary enough. She didn’t want to know how people would look at her now that she was a trainee.

She went to all her classes and behaved as normal. She didn’t want any special treatment. She was just a regular student. She paid extra attention in the Korean Culture class as she wanted to learn as many things as possible. She knew there were a lot of little things that she could do that would offend natives so she needed to avoid that.

After school, she went home, took a shower and dressed in a pair of jeans, a hoodie and a pair of sneakers. She had vocal training as well as a Korean class that day. She grabbed her bag, making sure that her wallet and her badge were in and head off to the bus station.

When she arrived at the building, she typed the pass code and went in. She greeted the receptionist and headed to the training room on the 3rd floor. She knocked on the door and went in. A man who looked like he was around 40 years old greeted her.

“You are Jane, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am” Jane responded.

“I am Park Jihoon. I will be you vocal training teacher.” He introduced himself.

“Nice to meet you seonsaeng-nim. Please take care of me” Jane said.

“Have you ever taken canto classes?” the teacher asked.

“Yes, I have. I’ve been taking classes for the past five years.” Jane replied

“Oh… nice. That will make our work easier. First thing, I would like you to do a solfeggio.”

The class went on. Sooner than Jane realized, it was time for her Korean class. Her teacher was a young woman who had been working with YG’s foreign trainees. When her training finished it was already 10 p.m. She quickly gathered her things and went to the bus station. By the time she arrived home she was already dead tired, but she couldn’t go to sleep yet. She took a hot shower and afterwards started revising for an upcoming exam. It was only her first day and she was already tired. She wondered how she will last another three years until she finished her studies. It was going to be hell, but she knew she had to make sacrifices in order to be the best. By the time she finished studying it was already 1:30 a.m. She only had a few more hours left to sleep. She closed her eyes and before she knew it she fell asleep.

 When she woke up the next morning, she glanced at the clock. Two more minutes and her alarm would set off. She turned it off and went to take a shower. She went straight to the YG headquarters as she didn’t have any classes that day. When she entered the building, the receptionist told her that YG wanted to see her. She headed straight to her office. His secretary told her to enter the office right away.

“Good morning Jane! I hope you had a good night’s sleep.”

“Good morning, yes I did” Jane replied.

“I have a special schedule for you today. You will be recording something” Hyunsuk smiled.

“Re-re-record sir? How? Why? I barely even started training, why would I record?” Jane stuttered.

“We need a female’s voice for Seunghyun’s song and I want to see if yours fits.” The CEO said

“Al-alright. When should I start?”

“Right away. I will take you to the recording studio and introduce you. That boy was eager to meet you” YG laughed.

“I bet he was. Everyone knows that maknae is a player” Jane muttered to herself.

“Did you say anything?”

“No, no. I’m just really nervous.” Jane quickly said.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure you will do just fine” the president reassured her.

They reached the studio and YG entered first.

“Seunghyun, Jane is here. Don’t do anything or I’ll postpone your album. She is still new. So be a gentleman. Got it?”

“I’m a mother father gentleman” a deep voice said.

“What? That’s not Seungri. Oh my God. Is that-“ Jane’s thoughts were interrupted by YG.

“Please come in Jane” he asked her.

Jane slowly entered, bowing her head, not daring to lift it up.

“Hello. My name is Seunghyun. Nice to meet you” the voice said.

“Nice to meet you too” the girl mumbled.

“Sorry, I couldn’t understand you” the rapper said confused.

Jane slightly raised her head and spoke a little louder. “I said it’s nice to meet you too. Please take care of me.”

As lifted her head and looked into the boy’s eyes she felt a shiver down her spine and looked away. His gaze really was something. It looked like he was a hitman, even though his smile spread from one ear to the other. The photos and recordings did him no justice. He was much more handsome in real life. He looked like a Greek God. His face was slightly oval and just perfect. His was straight and his chin was strong. He was beyond any of her expectations. His hair wasn’t styled, yet he looked like he was shooting for fashion magazine. A few strands of hair hanged loosely above his forehead emphasizing his features. He was wearing a black shirt that showed his muscles with and un-zipped jacket on top, a pair of dark blue jeans and a pair of high tops. Jane had never seen something more at the audition she had been mesmerized by G-Dragon, he was nothing compared to T.O.P.

“All leave the two of you alone for now. I’ll come back in a few hours to see how it’s going.”

“Don’t worry; I’m not going to bite you” Seunghyun said laughing.

“I know. I’m just a little nervous. I’ve never recorded anything before. And I’ve only been a trainee for a day.” Jane said slowly regaining her confidence.

“I know. Hyunsuk hyung thought you were the best for the song. We’ll see how it’s going and if your voice doesn’t suit the song, you won’t be featured” Seunghyun cheered giving her his million dollar smile.

“Okay.” Jane said feeling much more comfortable.

“I’ll play the song now. I’ll play the song and I want you to listen to it carefully. Then you can try to sing along to the chorus.” Seunghyun said giving her a paper with the lyrics.

The song started playing and Jane started humming along a minute after. “It is a very good song “she said smiling.

“I know. Teddy and Jiyong helped me with it. Those two are geniuses when it comes to music. We’ll listen to it a few more times. And maybe after you can go in the recording booth and we will see how it goes.”

“Alright. We’ll do that” Jane said.

They listened to it a couple more times and Jane was getting the hang of it.

“I would like to go in the recording booth now” Jane said after the fifth listen.

“Okay, let me help you” Seunghyun said getting up.

As Jane got up and headed towards the door she tripped on a wire that was lying there. She was headed to the floor when a pair of strong arms caught her. Their faces were a few centimeters apart and the she closed her eyes. She knew what was going to happen. Her mind told her that she shouldn’t allow it to happen. They had only met half an hour ago. She opened her eyes and looked straight into his. Their lips were just a centimeter apart when she woke up. It was just a dream.