Fears

The student and the rapper

“What the heck?” Seunghyun thought to himself. He looked up to see a flustered girl on the floor.  He checked to see if his hoodies and glasses were still on. He didn’t need to cause a scene. He was tired of all that. “Miss, you should pay attention to where you’re going. You can’t just bump into people.”

Jane looked to the man in front of her. Somehow he seemed familiar, but she just shrugged it off. She knew she shouldn’t have drunk at all. She had a very low alcohol tolerance.

“You’re the one talking mister. I wasn’t the one on my phone and not watching my steps” Jane replied. She was getting pissed off.

“If you were paying attention then I why didn’t you avoid me?” Seunghyun said nearly shocked. He couldn’t believe the nerve of that girl.

“I was checking a stain on my blouse. Fine… we were both to blame. Now, if you’ll excuse me” she said trying to leave.

“I don’t think so. Look at my phone” the man said suddenly.

“I don’t really care about your phone” Jane said uninterested.

“You should. It’s broken, look” Seunghyun said showing her the cracked screen of his phone.

“That is your fault. Now I really need to go” and with that she sprinted in the woman’s restroom.

“What an annoying girl. Now I have to buy myself another phone. Aish… “ and with that he left.

“Hyung, what took you so long?” Seungri said as soon as Seunghyun entered the room.

“I bumped into a girl on the hallway. Now my phone is broken. And she left me just like that. She wouldn’t even buy me a new phone” the eldest said bitterly.

“A girl? What girl? Did she recognize you? What did she say?” Jiyong’s leader mode was suddenly activated. He was worried they might be recognized and their plans for a peaceful evening would go to waste.

“Calm down Jiyong. She didn’t recognize me. Didn’t I just tell you she left? I don’t think she would have done that if she had recognized me” Seunghyun reassured the leader.

“Was she at least pretty?” the maknae wiggled his eyebrows.

“Ya, Seungri! Can’t you stop thinking about girls for one evening?” the leader scolded him.

“Whatever. Let’s just eat” said Seunghyun. And with that they started eating.

 

 

Jane had forgotten all about the incident at the restaurant. She was busily attending her classes. On Tuesday at the end of the day the teacher stopped after the class.

“Good luck tomorrow Miss Welding!”

“Huh?” Jane looked weirdly at the teacher. “Good luck for what?”

“Your audition. The dean told me you were excused from classes tomorrow as you are attending the YG audition. I didn’t know you could sing” the teacher explained seeming kind of happy. It was weird. Jane was a little struck by the close relationship between teachers and students in Korea. They seemed to care more about the well being of their students.

“I’m not auditioning” Jane said quickly.

“You don’t need to hide it. We will support you even if you don’t get in. Fighting!” the teacher replied.

“Aahh.. yes!”Jane exited the classroom numbly. She didn’t understand what was happening. And then it hit her. She took out her phone and dialed Junghee’s number.

“Hello” Jung Hee answered after the first ring.

“Ya Kang Junghee! What have you done?” Jane angrily said.

“N-n-nothing” Junghee slowly said.

“How is it nothing? Did you excuse me from classes tomorrow to go to the YG audition?” Jane asked.

“Well… Yes. And I might have registered you at YG” Junghee said in a whisper.

“You what? No, I’m not going anywhere” Jane categorically refused.

“But Jaaaneee… I did all that for you. I even excused myself to go with you. And everyone is waiting for you to tell them how it was.” Junghee pleaded.

“Aish… What am I going to do with you? I didn’t even prepare a song. I definitely can’t go” Jane tried to get herself out of this situation.

“I talked to your teacher from the singing class. He said you should sing Park Bom’s “Please Don’t Cry”. He said you rock that song” Junghee merrily said.

“You have it all figured out, don’t you? Fine, I’ll go. Not because I want to get in, but to please you. You really owe me a dinner” Jane finally agreed.

“No, you’ll pay me a dinner after you get in. I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 9. Be ready”

“Okay. See you then”

Jane sighed. She wasn’t sure of what she was doing. Sure, she wished she had a career as a singer, but she wasn’t sure she was good enough. Surely there were people who were better than her. And YG? YG was big not only in Korea, but across the globe. It was the company who created some of Korea’s biggest stars. Their talent was incredible. How could they even look at someone like her?

She called her mother and told her about the audition. Her mother was thrilled. She kept encouraging Jane, telling her what a good opportunity this was and how she should have faith because she was talented. The same went with her friend Emma. Everyone was telling her how good she is and that she will get in.

The next day at 9 sharp Junghee was on Jane’s doorstep. The girls headed to the YG quarters where the audition was to be held. When they reached the building Jane’s fears and doubts doubled. So many people were there for an audition. She was then sure she wouldn’t get in. Surely she wasn’t the best singer there.

After an hour or so, she was called in. She silently said a prayer and entered the audition room.