The audition

The student and the rapper

 Jane was very scared. She felt that her emotions were through the roof, which is why she was carefully taking one step at a time. She now regretted wearing high heels. It felt as if she was going to fall and break her legs any time. When she chose her outfit that morning it seemed the best choice. They were pretty and gave her an imposing stature. Her height wasn’t very helpful. But since arriving in Korea she was rather grateful for being petite. She blended better.

“Great. Not only am I a foreigner so I stand out easily, but I’m going to fall over and make myself look like a looser. Why did you come here again Jane? I’m not even that good of a singer. I need much more training. My technique is still a little rough and I don’t always use my breath as I should. Aishh… Maybe… I can quietly go out? How could I? I’m already in.”

She finally looked around herself. It was a big room. As far as she could tell it was a practice room. One of the walls was covered in mirrors. In front of the mirror-wall there was a table where four people were staying with their backs towards that wall. They all looked really serious. They were expressionless. It wasn’t a joke. They were determined not to help the candidates in any way.

Jane’s shock grew even more when she recognized one of the members of the jury. Yang Hyunsuk himself, with his now famous hat, was in the middle of the table. Three more people whom Jane did not recognize were present. She assumed they were trainers from the company. On YG’s left there was an empty seat. Someone was missing. Jane wondered who the fifth member of the jury was.

Just then one of the three cleared their throat. “Introduce yourself, please”

“Hello. My name is Jane Welding. I am 21 years old and I am originally from the UK.”

“Very well. What is your talent?”

“I sing.”

“I understand. What will you be singing today?”

“I’ll be singing-“

But just then someone entered the room. Jane turned around to see a very confident G-Dragon coming in. Jane was star struck.  Talent and swag oozed out of him. He was dressed casually in a pair of jeans, a shirt and a cardigan but he made it look as if he was on the catwalk. And he was gorgeous. Jane wasn’t ugly but in that moment she felt as the ugly duckling. He was so much prettier than her. How was that even fair?  He bowed slightly and then said:

“I’m sorry for being late.”

“It’s alright Jiyong. Take your place” Yang Hyunsuk reassured him. “Miss Welding please continue.”

“I’ll be singing Park Bom’s «Don't cry» ” Jane said much slower than before.

G-Dragon looked taken aback. “That’s a hard song. I wonder if she can pull it off” he thought.

“Start whenever you are ready” Hyunsuk replied.

Jane cleared and started singing. She was very nervous up until that moment. When she started singing it was as if all her fears flew out the window. She wasn’t supposed to feel nervous when singing. It was her passion, something she really enjoyed doing. So why should she be afraid. She didn’t care whether she was accepted or not. It was all about her and about enjoying it while she was singing. She felt liberated. It was as if before she had been trapped in tower just like the princess in the fairytales she used to read as a child. She was now set free and she could fly. That was just what singing did to her.

The members of the jury were astounded the moment the first sound came out of . Her voice was strong and smooth. It was obvious she had been training before with a proper teacher. Even so, her talent was something rarely to be found. Her voice did not waver at all throughout the whole song. It was something even Park Bom, one of YG’s best singer and the original singer, succeeded only after years of practice. She would definitely be jealous of this girl’s ability. They all knew that they could not let such talent slip through their hands. Yang Hyunsuk was sure that YG would be very lucky to sign that girl. Sure, it was too soon. He still needed the opinion of the trainers but he would do his best to make sure she debuts under YG. She was just too awesome. Who cared if she wasn’t Korean? It was not something too important. And she was rather beautiful. That was a plus. Yes, he was sure he wanted her as a trainee.

Jane was smiling by the time she finished singing. She never thought she would feel this good. She was going to take Junghee to dinner even if she didn’t succeed. She felt that good. She waited for instructions as for what she had to do next.

“Aaahhh… yes, Miss… Welding. Thank you for auditioning. We will contact you” YG said.

“Thank you! Have a nice day!” Jane said as she exited smiling.

As soon as she stepped foot in the hallway she was greeted by a scream.

“Jaaaaaaaaneee! G-Dragon went into the room! Did you see him? Did he tell you anything? He looks really good, doesn’t he?”

“Of course I saw him. It’s not like he became invisible once he entered the room. No, I didn’t talk to him. And the audition went well, thank you for asking” Jane laughed at her friend’s excitement.

“Good one Junghee! You’re upset aren’t you? I’m really sorry. I’m a lousy friend” Junghee’s face dropped suddenly.

“Don’t worry! I’m not the slightest bit upset. Come on, we’re going shopping and then I’ll treat you to dinner” Jane said dragging Junghee by her hand.

“Really? But wait, tell me about the audition. How was it?”

“Come on, I’ll tell you all about it” Jane said walking out of the building.

 

“Hyung. She’s really pretty. We have to sign her. And she has an amazing voice. Woooaahhh…” Jiyong said dreamily.

“Ya! Kwon Jiyong! I didn’t ask for you to come so you could check out the girls. I asked you to drop by because I value your opinion. When it’s about music, you punk!” the CEO playfully scolded the artist.

“I was just kidding. But seriously, even Bom noona would be jealous of her voice and the way she sang the song. We should totally show her the recording.” Jiyong said going into his serious mode.

“I know. I’ll make sure to sign her. Just wait until Park Jinyoung hears her. I’m sure he’d be willing to give his right hand for her. But she came to YG with a reason. And I’ll give my best to make sure she stays here” YG said already making plans.

AN: I already have 5 subscribers and almost 90 views. Wow! Thank you all! I'm still waiting for you comments. Feedback inspires me! :D