Invitation

The student and the rapper

It was Sunday and Jane was happy. She didn’t have any practice that afternoon, so she was going shopping with Junghee. She was in need of some thick winter clothes, as well as shoes. And since there were 8 days left till Christmas she wanted to buy some presents as well as decorations.

She had already finished her practice and she was headed towards the mall where she would meet her friend. She was hopping along the corridors when she heard some footsteps. Then, suddenly a man hanged his arm over her shoulder. She turned to see Jiyong smiling at her.

“My favourite trainee! What set you in such a good mood?”

“I have the afternoon off, so I’m meeting a friend” Jane beamed at him.

“Oh! I get it then. But, I hope it’s a female friend” Jiyong scolded her smiling.

“Of course it is! But why does it matter to you?” she looked at him curiously.

“I don’t want you to hurt hyung. Anyway, do you have any plans for Christmas?” the man asked changing the subject.

“Hurt his hyung?” Jane thought. “No, I don’t. Why?” she the responded.

“Because I want you to join me and the guys at my pension for Christmas and New Year. You shouldn’t be alone” he said.

“Join you? But aren’t you spending Christmas with your family?”

“They will be there as well” GD said thinking.

“But I don’t want to intrude” Jane said knowing that they would feel awkward because of her.

“You won’t. I invited the 2NE1 girls. And this would be a good time to meet them and to bond. They wanted to meet you as well. So you can’t say no. I’ll get hyung to tell you the details later. Now go have fun” Jiyong concluded.

“Okay. Thank you for inviting me sunbae” Jane bowed her head.

“Oppa” he added.

“What?” Jane asked.

“I think it’s time you dropped the formalities and called me oppa. Bye” he waved at her.

“Wah! He is so nice. I really don’t know why people say he’s got the prince syndrome. And he doesn’t act like the way he does on stage. It’s like G-Dragon and Kwon Jiyong are two different people. Anyway, I guess I have to buy more presents now.” Jane thought as she walked to the mall.

In front of the mall she met with Junghee.

“Junghee! I missed you, unnie” she said as she hugged her.

“I missed you too! But I told you not to call me unnie. I want you to call me just Junghee” the eldest girl said.

“I know, I know. Have you eaten? “Jane asked.

“No. Are you hungry?” Junghee responded.

“Yes. Let’s go eat something first.”

They went to a Chinese-Korean restaurant and ordered jjajangmyeon. After eating they went shopping. As Jane hadn’t shopped the whole winter she had a lot of things to buy. She bought 5 pairs of pants, 10 blouses, 3 hoodies, a thick winter jacket, 2 pairs of sports shoes and three pairs of boots. Junghee was astounded. She never knew Jane would buy so many things. Afterwards they went to buy Christmas gifts and decorations.

“By the way Jane, what are you doing for Christmas?” Junghee asked as they were heading back home, loaded with shopping.

“Jiyong oppa invited me to go to his pension. I didn’t want to intrude but he insisted I go” Jane told her.

“Good. If he hadn’t invited you, I would have asked you to come to my place. People shouldn’t be alone on Christmas” Junghee said smiling.

“It was nice of him to ask me to come. He said I’ll get to meet the 2NE1 girls as well.”

“That’s cool. Oh, my bus is coming. I’ll see you on Tuesday at school, right?” Junghee asked her.

“Yes. I’ll call you. Take care” Jane waved at her.

Their exam results were posted on Tuesday so they would go see them. Other than that, they were on vacation already. The winter vacation lasted for a month and Jane planned on spending it at YG training. Except for the week she would be spending at Jiyong’s pension.

When she arrived home she placed all her shopping in the right places and started wrapping up the gifts. She had gifts that needed to be sent to the UK so she would need to go to the post office the next day. As she was packing them she remembered that she hadn’t told YG sajangnim about her leaving for Christmas. She decided to text him and ask if it was alright that she was leaving.

To: YG sajangnim

Sajangnim, is it okay if I go to Jiyong oppa’s for Christmas and New Year? I don’t want you to think I’m skipping practice.

She received a response just 5 minutes later.

From: YG sajangnim

You can go.

“Aish, always the short answer text. Couldn’t he say more? Anyway, I should finish packing these up and go to sleep. It’s going to be a long day tomorrow.”

After she finished packing everything she went straight to bed. She had a goodnight’s sleep. When she woke up the next morning she was feeling refreshed. She took a shower, dried her hair and had breakfast. She dressed warmly and picked up the gifts that needed to be sent. As she exited the building she was awestricken. Everything was covered in snow. She didn’t look out the window so she didn’t know it had snowed.

It was amazing. It seemed as if the ground had felt the cold weather and decided to cover itself up in a blanket of snow. It glittered more beautifully than diamonds in the winter sunlight. The tree branches were covered in snow as well, reminding Jane of Christmas trees. Her day was suddenly much brighter. Ever since she was a child Jane loved snow. It made her feel safe. And now it reminded her of home. She knew it wasn’t going to last so she took a few pictures of it on her phone and headed to the post office. Somehow, she knew it was going to be a good day.