Chapter 43: Lana's & Yongguk's Dilemma

A Beautiful Curse

Lana's & Yongguk's Dilemma

 

Lana’s bed room door slammed loudly as EXO watched her disappear into her room. They gathered back in the living room after a failed attempt at wanting to bring Lana for cliff diving. After the encounter with Yongguk, everyone’s mood turned sour, even Lana who was the most excited at the beginning. Eventually they decided to cancel their activity since the weather was looking bad also.

Jongin rested his back against the couch and placed his hands on top of his face as he let out an annoying grunt. He was frustrated at Yongguk for spoiling what could have been a wonderful time with Lana. That pale blood er always just had to appear at the wrong timing.

“Such a waste...” Jongdae grunted as he sprawled lazily on the floor.

“Actually it was a good idea to head back instead since –“ Minseok stopped abruptly at the sound of thunder crashing loudly. “A storm is coming...”

Yixing nodded and said. “Yes, we should have at least checked the weather first. Thanks to that pale face –“

“Don’t mention him.” Jongin snapped. “He pisses me off.”

Chanyeol laughed suddenly while the rest weirdly looked at him. The atmosphere was definitely not humorous at all but this guy seemed to be living in his own world. “You know, Jongin. I thought you’d be happy after what happened.”

“How could I be happy when he spoils everything?” Jongin stared at him.

“Looking from the way things are, it seems like Lana is angry at him. And she sees us family. Isn’t that good?” Chanyeol grinned.

They looked at one another and mumbled among themselves. Luhan tapped Jongin’s back and said. “I think you’re slowly winning the battle.”

A thunder crashed again and this time, Mira stumbled out of her room in tears as she cried out. “Oppa, I’m scared...” She went straight to Jongin and cuddled right next to him. “I-I-I-I hate t-the th-thunder.” She sniffed.

“Shh, it’s okay. I’m here.” Jongin gently Mira’s back and hushed the girl to stay calm.

“You won’t leave me, right? You’ll always be by my side, right?” Mira asked, looking at him with timid eyes.

Jongin gazed her eyes as his thumb brushed the scar on her face. He smiled and said. “Shh, it’s going to be okay.”

Sehun sighed. “I think he has a bigger battle he needs to go through first.” He looked at Luhan and the rest of the guys, knowing well what the youngest meant. Jongin heard him but he was not affected at all because he knew his feelings won’t change.

 

On the other side of the forest, the Princes were kept busy entertaining the members of the Council who came to pay a visit. Yongguk joined them late as he was out in the day. Despite constant reminder from his brothers regarding the visit, Yongguk couldn’t care less and only showed himself about an hour late.

“Where were you?” Himchan nudged his rib and whispered as Yongguk entered the hall where they were gathering.

Yongguk didn’t answer. He looked at his guests and apologised for being late before catching up with them. The rest of the Princes noticed that the oldest wasn’t his usual self. Although he seemed to be taking responsibilities of his action and status by being friendly and amicable with the Council members, there was something off in him.

“Junhong, did you know where Yongguk Hyung go?” Daehyun asked the youngest as he sipped in a glass of blood wine.

Junhong nodded. “I think he went to meet Lana... And I don’t think their encounter went well.”

“Well that’s pretty obvious considering that we could feel the intensity of his glares.” Youngjae remarked.

“We know Yongguk Hyung too well to not notice that he’s upset despite not speaking about it.” Jongup said.

After a while all the members of the Councils and Princes gathered at the grand hall as Yongguk took the centre stage. He held up his glass of warm hot blood and gave a toast. “I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Council for their visit. It has been a great honour working together and on behalf of the Royal family, we would like to express our deepest appreciation and hope that we could strive together for the future of our kind.”

Round of applause followed as Yongguk took a sip of his blood and the remains of it. Just when he was about to continue, one of the Council member stepped up and greeted. “We would like to thank the Royal family for the stay but before we end this great event, we would like to hear from the Prince regarding the ascending of the throne. We think it’s about time our kind needs a King.”

Heads turned as the vampires looked at one another while waiting for the Princes to answer. Himchan approached the centre spot where Yongguk was at and began to speak.

“I would like to remind that the present King still exists and we as the Princes have no desire to reign.”

“Prince Himchan, the King is not one if he chooses to stay away and disobey the Council.” One of the members stated. “The curse which was made 18 years ago on the night of a full moon must never be reversed. This is how our kind can be contained. Although it’s harsh, we see it as a beautiful curse. Don’t you think so, Prince Yongguk?”

Yongguk focused his attention towards the male vampire and nodded. “Yes, the curse shall stay.”

“Indeed it must stay but we also need a King. Prince Yongguk, you’re next in line and it’s time for you to reign our kind.” Yongguk’s eyes never once flickered. He was expressionless despite the mention of being the next King.

“Has the girl been discovered?” One of them asked. The Princes gazed at one another, waiting for the other to reply.

“No...” Yongguk lied.

It seemed like the members of the Council didn’t buy his answer but they never asked further. “We sincerely hope the girl appears soon for our Prince Yongguk. We are aware that Tae Hee’s daughter has been chosen as your soul mate. Rest assured, we shall wait for her appearance since she is the only one who can fulfil the role as our Queen.”

“Thank you for your understanding.” Yongguk replied with a small smile although he was shaken by the fact that the members knew about Lana. He thought he could hide her from them but the knowledge of her existence has already reached the Council. It was bad enough that they knew of her but it became worst when they knew who she was to Yongguk.

“It is our greatest pleasure to assist the Royal family the best we could. We have no worries on who the Queen is, as long as she is able to lead our kind well... But of course, she has to be one of us first. Prince Yongguk has no problem turning her into –“

Daehyun suddenly popped the champagne bottle containing fresh warm blood and spoke out loud. “This is a joyous occasion. Let’s celebrate and drink to our heart’s content. Whatever the future will be, let’s just hope we are still able to work hand in hand.”

The tensed atmosphere immediately shifted to a happy one but Yongguk still had his fists tightly clenched.

Prince Yongguk has no problem turning her into –

Vampire?

Now, Yongguk had two groups who insisted to have Lana as his Queen and also to have her as one of them, as a vampire.

 

Lana hugged her knees tightly as she tried to warm herself from the cold thunderstorm. The night sky was full of lightning and the thunderous crashes. She sat by the edge of the bed overlooking the balcony and watched the rain fell from the sky. Just like the weather, she was feeling just as angsty yet sad. Her words to Yongguk were definitely harsh and she felt apologetic. However, she was absolutely angry at him for blaming the wolves and controlling what she ought to do or not. Besides, she wasn’t his Princess although he constantly claimed that she was his.

“Lana, let me remind you that you’re still half of us and you’re still my Princess.”  She recalled his words. Yongguk wasn’t wrong but he wasn’t right either for saying those words. She was indeed half of his kind but she wasn’t his Princess, not Jongin’s or anyone. She hasn’t made a choice, not yet. But judging from the way things were, she was beginning to lean towards Jongin. Only she hoped that if she chose Jongin eventually, she wouldn’t be hurting Yongguk.

As much as she wished to take a stand and set everything right, she didn’t want to hurt any party. However, it was impossible. Either way, someone’s going to get hurt.

Out of a sudden, a bolt of lightning struck again followed by the loudest thunderous crash. This time Lana shivered fearfully. She gulped nervously and looked ahead of her. The weather seemed to be overpowering the moon light causing darkness to befall. She couldn’t see anything, not even the forest. Afraid, she stood up and exited her room, hoping to find comfort in someone’s arm. Tiptoeing timidly her way across the hall, she went. It was already midnight and the big house has definitely turned silent. Hence, the sound of thunder was even more deafeningly chilling.

As she walked past a room, she suddenly stopped when she noticed the door was slightly ajar.

“Oppa, I’m scared...”

“Just close your eyes and think of happy times. You’ll fall asleep before you know it.”

“How could I close my eyes if one of my happy times is right now, having you accompanying beside me?”

“Mira –“

Lana stepped back right away because if she continued watching, it was only grieving herself. The person she thought she could find comfort was already comforting someone else. She knew she should be more understanding yet her heart was aching badly. In fact, she was a little upset and jealous. Yes, jealous was just the right word to explain how she felt after seeing Jongin by Mira’s side.

And it was entirely her fault. She pushed Jongin away for she wanted more space, freedom and time to think. However, now she wished to pull him back. She turned her heel and headed back to her room miserably. She covered herself under the blanket and cried her tears away. Maybe, Jongin has become a part of her she never wanted to separate.

 

Will Yongguk eventually decide to turn Lana?

What is Mira to Jongin?

Do we smell jealousy from Lana?

To be continued


 

Hope you enjoy thus far! Stay tune for more. I might not be able to update as frequent beause of school but I'll try to update whenever possible.  Thanks for the comments. I do wish I can write my chapters longer and make it more interesting, but I believe having chapters that are too long might turn boring. Anyway, I'm really grateful for all the positive comments! =)