Chapter 39: Keep That Heart Beating

A Beautiful Curse

Keep That Heart Beating

 

The atmosphere while walking back home was unbearably quiet. Not only Lana but Jongin too, had so many questions in his head. What was all that about? Princess? Was Yongguk referring to Lana as his Princess? And Lana knew it all along? If he could, he would stop right away and expect answers from Lana but obviously, he had to take the matter slowly. Besides, he was supposed to be on bad terms after not talking or facing her for a while. Although it was better after the little confession she made the night before unconsciously, he was still gloomy. Worst, the possibility that she was hiding something that only she and that Yongguk were aware of, only made him more tensed than ever.

Lana looked down the entire time. She was too afraid to face EXO and explained everything to them, especially Jongin. Slowly her eyes darted to her right hand which was tightly held by Jongin’s left hand. The feeling was warm and comfy yet there was something more daunting.

How long can their fingers intertwined? How long will she be able to feel his warmth hands in hers?

Suddenly, she halted. Joonmyun who was walking ahead stopped as well to check if everything was fine. “Are you okay?” Jongin finally broke the silence. He placed both his hands on her shoulder, bowed down a little and faced her. She stared down, not wanting to look into his eyes. “Are you still sick?” He placed his palm on her forehead. Once again, she kept quiet. Without asking more, Jongin pulled her into his arms and embraced her tightly. That was all she needed because right away, tears flowed down her cheeks. “If you’re bending on not talking to me for the rest of your life, I’m fine. Just don’t ever leave me. That kills me more than anything.” He soothed her back.

 

After a long warm shower, Lana settled herself on the bed as she twirled and played with her damp hair. She hasn’t spoken a word since leaving the palace. Thankfully, EXO was kind enough to not probe on her over what happened. Although she wished to explain to them about how she ended up in Yongguk’s room, she just needed more time to clean her thoughts. Being the girl who was being chased by countless vampires was already bad enough; she has to shoulder another dilemma of her own. A soul mate for both a vampire and a wolf, how messed up her life was. As much as she wanted to erase Yongguk away because he left her, she just couldn’t. She promised him and he came a long way, right when she was still in diapers. But then Jongin came and saved her life. It wasn’t because she was indebted to him that she felt the need to love him back. He was already special to her right when she set eyes on him. There was something different in him. At least for Jongin, she was old enough to be aware of every word she has ever spoken to him. Her promises for him were definitely genuine.

 

In the living room, EXO gathered for a discussion with Uncle Lee who was told of the recent incidents. The mentioning of Yongguk and the rest of the Princes along with the encounter with the two vampires caused Uncle Lee to worry for Lana’s safety even more. Furthermore, there were things he needed to explain to them. Sitting in the centre with EXO surrounding, Uncle Lee scanned their faces.

“Alright, I see. Thankfully nothing happened. We were lucky, I must say.” He spoke after hearing both Joonmyun and Kris detailed accounts of the unfortunate night. “Never underestimate them. There are a handful of them who are gifted with special abilities.”

Jongdae nodded. “Although we heard of the special ones before but it was definitely an eye opener for us.”

“Don’t worry. You just have to fight smartly.” Uncle Lee said.

“What can we do now?” Minseok asked as he looked at Uncle Lee for answer. EXO may be well prepared to face another round of vampires, but playing the defensive role always would only leave them to a disadvantage. There must be a way to attack. There must be a way to end this.  

Kris tapped his chin and questioned more. “Uncle Lee, how does the curse works? I’m sure there is a way to get out of this.”

Uncle Lee gave them a wry smile. “I wish it’s that simple but –“ He stopped, inhaling deeply before continuing. “My late brother, Lana’s dad, once told me that the curse may not work in favour for neither side. If you look at it, the vampires are getting weaker by the day because of the curse while for us, we are in constant danger of having to protect Lana, which obviously isn’t an easy feat. So, both sides are experiencing adversities respectively.”

“So, is there really no end?” Yixing asked, his voice sounded desperate.

Luhan sighed and then leaned back against the sofa. “I guess we have to fight till the end. That’s the only way. Well, not that I mind. Isn’t that why we exist? To protect Lana and the humankind...”

“I couldn’t agree more. Instead of worrying whether there is an end to this, we should be on our guards and work even harder.” Chanyeol added.

“If they want to chase us, let them be. We just need to outsmart them and –“ Baekhyun followed.

“Turn the whole game in our favour.” Jongdae cut in and ended. They exchanged glances and nodded in agreement with every word said.

“There might actually be an end...” Uncle Lee spoke suddenly. His face remained expressionless. “But it requires you to work with –“

“Yongguk.” Jongin cut him before glaring furiously. “Don’t even think about it. I won’t ever work with them.”

“Jongin, listen to what Uncle Lee has to say first.” Joonmyun ordered.

“Jongin, I hope you understand that this is not a war between the wolves and the vampires. If you want to win this, you have to work with the enemy –“ He stopped briefly and then added. “Technically, they aren’t our enemies considering that they want to protect Lana as well.”

Soft growl could be heard as some of them grimaced upon hearing that the vampires weren’t enemies to them. It wasn’t something they can accept in a blink of an eye. “Uncle Lee, how can we work with them? It’s impossible.” Tao stated.

“They disgust me so much.” Sehun snarled in annoyance.

“Not to mention their unbearable stench.” Kyungsoo added.

“If not for Lana, we could have ripped their heads off.” Yixing concluded.

Uncle Lee shook his head but let out a small laughter. “That’s not how it supposed to be. Anything is possible. I mean, just look at Lana.”

If a vampire and wolf could fall in love and eventually produced a child, a human one, then anything was possible. Uncle Lee was right. They were being too caught up with their pride and hatred that they seemed to ignore that maybe some vampires were actually on their side.

“Jongin –“ Uncle Lee called out. This time his tone shifted to serious. “Yongguk is not what you think he is. I know him.”

“You know him, Uncle Lee?”

“Since when?” The rest of them asked curiously. However, Jongin remained still. It was as though he knew it all along about Uncle Lee knowing Yongguk and possibly the connection between him and Lana.

“Lana’s mother was only trying to protect her daughter and Yongguk –“ Uncle Lee sighed loudly. It was hard delivering the truth to Jongin. “He has been there for Lana. You have to trust him. He won’t harm her in any way.”

“What do you mean by he has been there for her?” Kris tilted his head, puzzled.

 “Yes, all along he has been there watching her grow, taking care of her and loving –“ Uncle Lee suddenly stopped when he noticed Jongin’s expression changed abruptly. “Whatever it is, you guys need to work together. Look, they are the Royal vampires. If they are able to control their kind and ensure that they don’t reverse the curse, wouldn’t it be easier for you guys?”

“I don’t think they’re able to control their kind so easily. They seem –“

“Powerless?” Uncle Lee replied. “Only because none of them is the King yet...”

“But I heard the real King still exists.” Joonmyun stated.

“Well, he does but if the any of the Prince manages to find a suitable Queen, then he will replace the King, becomes one and eventually rule their kind. Whatever the King says, it would be taken as law by the Council.”

“The current King has to be dead?”

“No, he doesn’t. As long as the Prince is able to find a Queen for himself, he can rule.”

“Then, why won’t they find one?! It would be a lot easier to end this all.” Baekhyun stomped angrily.

“Yongguk is the eldest, so rightfully; he will be the next King.”

“Why can’t he just find one –“

“Because...” Uncle Lee trailed.

“Because Lana is his Queen.” Jongin finally blurted. “Lana is his fiancé, his Princess and also his Queen.”

“Jongin –“ The rest of them looked at him, clueless whether to sympathise with him or be angry at the whole situation.

“The only reason why he’s willing to protect Lana till the very end is because she’s his after all.” Jongin continued.

“Jongin, you have to understand that this was what her mother wanted.” Even Uncle Lee couldn’t do anything more than trying to convince. He experienced firsthand the bond between Yongguk and Lana was real.

Jongin abruptly stood up. “Yes, he may have bonded with her way before I know of Lana’s existence. But I’m not going to concede defeat. I love Lana and I’m going to make sure her heart continues beating as long as mine still is.”

He turned around, leaving the room. However, his stopped halfway when someone brushed his arm and grabbed him. Tearfully, Lana looked at him and noticed the sorrow in his eyes. He may look strong and steady but deep inside; she could feel his heart breaking into pieces. She heard every single word he said and there was not a single doubt in his words. He meant every of it. He loved her unconditionally but Lana, she couldn’t brace herself to tell him how much she cares for him and loves him too. She was selfish knowing that he just gave her his heart wholly while she could only receive it without exchanging hers. She needed more time. Yet time would only cause more hurt for Jongin.

“Lana, you don’t have to return my love but I beg you please –“ A tear dropped but quickly he wiped it away. “Don’t lose this lovely sound.” He placed his index finger on her right chest lightly, pointing at her beating heart.

With that, he pulled away and walked out of the room leaving Lana crying in tears. Uncle Lee jolted up from his seat and approached Lana, giving her the tightest embrace. “Awww Sweetie, just cry everything out...” He patted her back allowing the girl to sob even harder. He could feel her immense pain, her conflicted heart and the regret she might actually face one day.

“Uncle Lee, I don’t know what to do.” She sobbed.

“It will be alright my dear.”

“I’m going to hurt him.”

Uncle Lee smiled. “Trust your heart.”

 

In a distant, the door to the room finally closed with a soft tick. Mira pressed her back against her room door and smirked. Now, it was the perfect opportunity.

 

To be continued


=) THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS!