Chapter 30: Baby Don't Cry

A Beautiful Curse

Baby Don't Cry

 

Lana helped EXO set up the tents for their overnight stay. Since they were going to stay outdoors the whole night, they had to prepare a comfortable area to rest too. Lana was unpacking the items they brought along while Tao and Sehun pitched the tents up. Jongin, Luhan and Yixing were out gathering the firewood. A bonfire was needed especially when the night was going to be cold. Minseok and Chanyeol were preparing it. Meanwhile, Joonmyun and Kyungsoo were checking on the food supply, making sure it was enough to sustain for the entire night. Kris, Jongdae and Baekhyun were encircling the surrounding area to inspect any unusual activities or beings. Everyone was busying themselves except for Mira who was sitting lazily on one of the rocks. She looked around aimlessly without offering assistance. The guys couldn’t be bothered. Lana felt the same way too.

Jongin came back carrying a handful of the firewood. Instantly, Mira stood up and approached him. “Jongin Oppa, I help you carry some.” She offered.

Jongin managed a smile and replied. “It’s okay, Mira. Thanks.”

Tao rolled his eyes and whispered to Sehun. “Wow, she can help us with the tent here but she’s not. Yet, she chose to offer help to Jongin.”

“Let her be. We all know how much she adores Jongin Hyung more than any of us.” Sehun replied as he continued.

Lana overheard their conversation. She noticed how Mira was exceptionally close to Jongin. She didn’t want to ask Jongin about their relationship but now she understood why. Mira might have liked Jongin or probably still does. As much as she wanted to deny it, Lana was actually feeling a little jealous. She only knew Jongin barely a year while Mira knew him since they were still kids.

“Ouch!” Mira cried out loud. Lana snapped away from her wandering thoughts and turned to look at the commotion. “Oppa, it hurts!” Mira whined as she showed the little scratch on her knee due to the fall. She stumbled upon one of the logs which Jongin has brought.

Jongin went straight for her and knelt down to inspect her right knee. “Are you okay?” He asked as he blew lightly at the scratch as if it would alleviate the pain away.

Mira nodded. “I’m okay.” As Jongin tended her wound, Mira flashed a smirk at Lana who was looking at her enviously. She knew Lana was upset and that was exactly her intention.

Lana, on the other hand, refused to look further and continue her work. She was jealous, of course. Jongin was treating Mira so well that she felt neglected. Not until, Jongin suddenly appeared beside her with a smile. “Do you need help?”

Lana looked at him and then pouted. “No need.” She answered.

“Come, let me carry –“

“I said I’m fine.” Lana responded and then pushed Jongin away lightly.

Jongin looked at her with a clueless expression. “What did I do wrong?” He turned to Chanyeol who only gave him a shrug.

Lana ignored and continued her work. She didn’t want to pursue the matter anymore and would rather let it be. Yes she was a little angry and didn’t feel like talking to Jongin at the moment. Jongin on the other hand was clueless. He wanted to know what went wrong especially when Lana’s mood changed suddenly.

The sky eventually turned dark and everyone gathered around the fire which Chanyeol and Baekhyun started. The fire was small but soon turned big, enough to keep themselves warm. The night was surprisingly chilly.

Kris walked over to Joonmyun and whispered. “Yixing, Kyungsoo and Tao are doing their rounds now. I think we should send Sehun and Minseok as well since it’s going to be dark soon.”

Joonmyun nodded. “Okay but let’s not make it too obvious for the girls. They might be afraid.”

With that, Kris sent signals to Sehun and Minseok who instantly got the message. Quietly and sneakily, they left the group. They took off their clothes revealing their sculptured bodies as they began their dash around the vicinity, rendering help to the three of them who were already on duty.

Meanwhile, Lana noticed that the group has decreased in size. She sat in between Luhan and Jongin who seemed normal and relaxed. “Are they guarding the area?” Lana suddenly asked.

“No Lana. We’re just practising our skills.” Luhan replied casually with a smile.

Lana didn’t buy his words but she brushed the thought away. She turned left and saw Mira approaching Jongin who was sitting beside her. She turned stiff out of a sudden and concentrated on their conversation.

“Oppa, do you want some marshmallows?” Mira offered.

Jongin took one and said. “Thanks.” Then he turned towards Lana and asked. “Here, have the marshmallow.”

“Oppa, it’s for you not for...” Mira pouted.

“No thanks, I don’t eat marshmallow.” Lana lied and rejected the offer.

Jongin looked at her warily. Lana looked away and once again ignored Jongin. “Okay, I’ll eat it then.” He said.

“Oppa, can we really see the moon? Is it true the moon is going to be huge?” Mira asked as she sat closer to Jongin.

“Yes, it’s going to be huge.”

“Is it going to be as huge as the previous years? Remember last year how pretty the moon was. Oh yah and then the year before, the moon was yellow in colour. That was beautiful right, Oppa?” Mira added.

Lana heard and immediately her heart sank. This was going to be the first night she was going to witness the full moon with Jongin whereas Mira has watched it with him, countless times.

“Yes Mira, I remember but this year, it’s going to be extra special.” Jongin said.

“Why is that?” Mira asked as she cuddled closer to him.

Lana couldn’t stand it any longer. She stood up and was about to take a drink for herself when suddenly Jongin reached for her hand. “Because Lana is here with us this year... It’s extra special for me.”

Lana turned around and gazed his eyes. She felt like crying not because she was hurt but because his words touched her. She felt stupid for being angry at him when Jongin only cared for her. She shouldn’t be jealous or insecure. Lana smiled and then pushed him away shyly. She walked away feeling blessed and satisfied while Mira’s blood boiled seeing the two of them.

The night was still young and the moon was slowly emerging the night sky. Everyone gathered around the bonfire, except for a few who were tasked to guard the area. Jongin never left Lana’s side. Fearing for her safety especially on a crucial night like this was his utmost priority. He made sure she was within his sight all the time. Chanyeol took out his guitar and strummed a tune while Baekhyun and Jongdae singing.

Lana clapped along feeling amazed by their surprising hidden talent. These boys weren’t just extraordinary and undeniably good looking, they were also talented. Luhan showed his intelligence by solving the Rubik’s Cube in less than a minute, causing Lana’s jaw to drop.

“Sweetie, close your mouth.” Luhan teased when he saw her shocked expression.

“That...was...amazing.” Lana commented.

Meanwhile, Kris and Tao showed a little of their rap skills with Kyungsoo beat boxing by the side. Then, there was a battle of high notes between Minseok and Jongdae. Once again, leaving Lana all amazed by their talents.

“Are you sure you guys aren’t just wolves but also idols or something?” Lana questioned their existence.

They laughed and then Chanyeol added. “Actually we thought of debuting as singers in a group. Of course, I’ll be the visual.” He shrugged nonchalantly as if it was a matter of fact but of course his remark earned negative response.

“Oh please... I’ll make a better visual.” Sehun said. “I can dance well too. Come on Yixing Hyung, let’s show Lana our thing.”

Sehun stood up together with Yixing. Lana watched them intently, anticipating their performance. Sehun started moving his body fluidly while Yixing gave off the charismatic aura, the first time Lana was seeing it. They complemented each other and danced so well that Lana questioned how long did they train for it. It must have been a long time because they were so good. Or maybe they were just born with it.

After the splendid performance, Lana clapped enthusiastically and said. “Wow that was so good!”

Mira rolled her eyes and muttered. “I’ve seen that performance so many times.”

Lana suddenly turned to Jongin who was beside her and asked. “Then you, Jongin... What are you going to show?”

“Nah, I’m not good in anything.” Jongin modestly replied.

“Liar!”

“Lana, Jongin is an excellent dancer!”

“He’s such a pro in dancing!”

“He’s a beast!”

“The iest dancing machine alive!”

“Come on Jongin, dance!”

The rest of them chorused and disagreed with Jongin saying he has no talent. They knew how well a dancer he was. Despite his usual moody and temperamental self, Jongin can be a totally different person when he starts dancing.

“Jongin, I want to see you dance.”  Lana looked at him. “Please?” She pleaded with a smile.

Unable to refuse her request, Jongin stood up and took the centre spot. “Promise you won’t laugh at me?”

“I won’t...” Lana promised.

Soon, he started dancing.

“Don’t hesitate another minute please take away my heart
Yes, the sharper the better, the night that even the moon has closed her eyes
Exchanging only our separate fates that lead to one another
As inevitable as it seemed that we’d miss, I know we loved just as much
When you smile, sun shines A brilliance you can’t fit into a framework of language
The waves crash my heart and crumble down...”

 

In the middle of the performance, Jongin went up to Lana and knelt before her. He reached for her hand and said. “Let’s dance together shall we?”

Honoured by the request, Lana couldn’t reject it. She stood up and allowed him to lead her way.  However she said. “Jongin, I can’t dance.”

Jongin smiled and replied. “Baby, just trust me.” He wrapped his arms around her small waist and glided her along with him. Their bodies moved freely and gracefully. Their special connection was evident by the way they moved together like magnets, inseparable. Lana closed her eyes as she immersed herself in his embrace. Similarly, Jongin let his world be revolved around Lana. He bent down a little to give a peck on her cheek before saying. “Lana, I love you...”

Surprised, Lana opened her eyes. She looked at him but no words could come out of . Jongin waited for her reply, hoping it would be the same as his but no. Lana remained still and quiet. She gazed his eyes apologetically. Immediately, Jongin understood and flashed a warm smile, signalling it was fine if she couldn’t give any reply or feel the same way as him. Lana felt disappointed out of a sudden and lightly pushed him away.

“I think it’s time to see the moon.” Lana muttered and pulled herself away from him.

Meanwhile, Mira tightened her fists furiously. Whatever she just watched before her was only making her angry. Jongin and Lana were dancing lovingly right before her eyes. She felt disgusted and wished it was her instead of Lana. She stood up abruptly and walked away.

Tao sensed her and asked. “Mira, where are you going?”

“I’m going for a walk.” Mira replied fiercely.

“You can’t. It’s too dark.” Joonmyun stated.

“What?! I need the toilet. You can’t possibly follow me when I’m doing my business right?” Mira snapped.

Lana heard the commotion. She approached Joonmyun and offered. “It’s okay, I’ll accompany Mira.”

“But –“

“She’s right. All of you are guys. She won’t feel comfortable.” Lana reasoned.

“Okay, don’t go too far.” Kris reminded.

Jongin quickly went to Lana and spoke in a serious tone. “Shout if you need anything. Do you understand?”

Lana nodded and replied. “Yes...”

Jongin was worried. It wasn’t because Lana was going to be with Mira alone but he was afraid of something else.

 

Mira walked ahead of Lana a few steps as she tried to catch her up. “Mira, where are you going? It’s too far.”

“Go away! I don’t need you here!” Mira yelled. “Don’t follow me!”

“Mira! Come back!” Lana quickened her pace. Mira has gone way past the area they were allowed to be in. She wanted to return and inform the guys but that would mean leaving Mira all by herself. She couldn’t afford to lose Mira out of her sight. “Mira, don’t!”

“AHHHHHH!” Mira’s shriek blasted the forest.

Lana stopped abruptly and turned panicked. “MIRA! Where are you?” It was so dark she couldn’t see what was ahead of her. “Jongin! Jongin!” Lana shouted, hoping he would hear her. Just when she was about to turn back for the guys, she felt a hand on her shoulder. “Jongin, I don’t know where is Mira. Please find her.” Knowing that it was Jongin beside her, Lana cried softly.

“Mira is with me.” An unfamiliar voice spoke.

Lana’s eyes widened. She turned around only to see a pale looking man with fangs protruding prominently.

“Baby don't cry... Go to sleep... Go to sleep...” The unknown man chanted and before Lana knew it, her eyelids became heavy and her vision slowly turned pitch black.

 

To be continued