Chapter 19: The Realisation

A Beautiful Curse

The Realisation

 

Luhan furiously growled as he hurled a huge boulder across the empty forest. Alone in the middle of the night, he ventured into the wild because he needed to get away. He needed to be alone. Everything that happened and was about to happen, was only making him mad. He was turning mad with every passing second, fully aware that the girl he loves will never be his.

Yes, Luhan loved Lana. He believed he can protect and even love her more than Jongin. Despite the fact that Jongin has this special connection with Lana, Luhan was still very much in love with her. 

“Sehun, what?!” Luhan burst after sensing a presence nearby.

Sehun trailed behind Luhan shortly and asked his older brother. “Hyung, are you alright?”

“Do I look alright to you?” Luhan asked him instead.

“Hyung, I’m sorry. I didn’t expect you to have feelings for Lana.”

Luhan smirked a little but his eyes still displayed fury. “No one was supposed to know anyway.”

Sehun sat down on one of the rocks. “I believe Jongin Hyung will treat her well.” He comforted.

“After what happened tonight, I’m not sure if Jongin –“

“He will. You know he will.” Sehun cut in.

Luhan shook his head and said. “I don’t know, Sehun. I want Lana to be happy but look at her state now.”

Sehun approached Luhan and embraced the older male tightly. “Hyung, give Jongin a chance. Besides she doesn’t have to be your mate to deserve your love and care –“ 

“Shhh, do you hear that?” Luhan hushed.

Without breathing a word, both Sehun and Luhan sprinted to the direction of the movement they heard. The stench got even stronger as they closed in the distant. They were sure the smell belonged to the vampires. They caught glimpses of its back and quickened their speed.

However, just when Sehun thought he could finally catch this one, Luhan pulled him back.

“Sehun! The boundary!” Luhan yelled and Sehun stopped abruptly.

Without realising, they ran to the most Southern of the forest and eventually reached the territorial boundary. If they took one more step forward, they would have broken the treaty, meaning war.

“Urgh!” Sehun snarled frustratingly. “He escaped!” Within their sight stood a big mansion, a palace to be exact, for the royal vampire family. It was still relatively far but both Sehun and Luhan could already smell the stench, boiling their blood. “Maybe we should have just crossed over since they went to our side many times!” Sehun remarked boldly.

“We can’t do that, Sehun.” Luhan was a lot calmer. Being older and a more experienced wolf, Luhan was able to contain his rage. He was glad that he was with Sehun or else the younger male would have crossed over. “The palace holds few of the most powerful vampires.”

“But we’re powerful too.” Sehun inserted.

Luhan chuckled and knocked the head of the younger male. “We have a long way to go, especially you.”

“I’ll train harder.” Sehun pouted.

Luhan playfully ruffled his brother’s hair and said. “Good. Now let’s just go. This place stink the crap out of me.”

Both guys turned around and headed back to the house. As they were walking, Sehun asked. “Hyung, that was a male vampire right?”

Luhan nodded and added. “A tall blonde male.”

 

Meanwhile, faraway in the Southern where the palace was, the young blonde male entered the vast hall. The servants and maids of the same kind as him bowed as he walked before them with grandeur.  He was after all one of the royal princes. He searched for his older brothers, especially the eldest to report on his recent finding after his night run.

“Hyung, you’re here. I was looking for you.” The blonde male finally found his oldest brother at the balcony overlooking the forest.

“What is it?”

“Hyung, I overheard their conversation and apparently, the girl got injured.”

“Injured? What happened? Who did it?” The older male asked impatiently.

“What else if not those untamed beast themselves. They caused her so much pain.”

The older male turned grim. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, positive. And –“ The youngest paused and looked at his brother. “Hyung, I think one of them is her mate.”

“What?!“

“Do you remember Lord Kim has mentioned it before? The blood of a wolf is a healing gift.”

“It can’t be. I’m – “ His voice trailed.

“Hyung –“

“I want you to meet her soon. I have something I want you hand it to her. She needs it.”

 

Mira gulped nervously as pairs of eyes pierced right at her. She was alone and scared. What she has done has definitely angered the guys. She didn’t even dare to move an inch as the guys kept fixed at her. After a while, Suho came closer which caused Mira to close her eyes, flinching away as if he was going to hit her.

However, Joonmyun just sat beside her and looked at her sternly. “Mira, what have you done? Did you instigate Lana to leave?”

Mira shook her head and stammered. “I-I-I-I d-didn’t.”

“Why were you with Lana then?” Tao asked.

“I-I-I-I…”

“Why didn’t you prevent her from leaving?!” Minseok snapped angrily. Mira cowered but remained silent. “Answer the question!” Minseok yelled once more.

By then, Mira was already in tears. “I-I-I-I d-didn’t know what t-t-to do.” She sobbed.

Kris tightened his jaws but managed to speak in a composed voice. “Mira this is serious. You and Lana shouldn’t be inside the forest to begin with.”

“I-I-I-I’m sorry.” Mira apologised.

Jongdae took a spot beside Mira, holding her hand to calm her down. “The stories you heard are all true. Mira, vampires are as real as EXO. You need to believe that.”

“If it wasn’t for Jongin who finds the both of you fast enough, the outcome might have been disastrous.” Chanyeol added.

“This is not a game. Mira, you have to know how dangerous this is. You could’ve been killed if a vampire just happens to pass by –“

Mira shuddered as soon as Baekhyun mentioned vampire. Joonmyun noticed and immediately embraced the frightened girl. “I think that’s enough for tonight.” Joonmyun told the guys. It was already late and Mira must be tired. He trusted Mira has learnt from her mistake.

“Joonmyunnie Oppa, I’m sorry.” Mira whispered and buried her crying face in his embrace.

Joonmyun her back gently and hushed. “Shhh…Just don’t do it again.”

 

 

Kyungsoo yawned and stretched his arms. Yixing has already dozed off with his head bobbling forward. It was an eventful night without a doubt and the guys were exhausted from it. Kyungsoo and Yixing were in Lana’s room which was quiet and still. Only two hours left before sunrise, they had to get some rest at least before a brand new day awaits them. Kyungsoo stood up and shook Yixing beside him. His eyes then went for Jongin.

Jongin sat on a chair facing Lana and hasn’t moved an inch for the past hours. He was waiting for her to wake up. Exhausted or not, that was the last in his mind. All he worried for at the moment is whether the cure has worked. Uncle Lee assured Lana was progressing just fine but Jongin was not buying his words until she wakes up in front of him.

“Jongin, get some rest.” Kyungsoo lightly tapped Jongin’s back.

“I’m fine.” Jongin replied.

“Jongin, it was an accident. Don’t blame yourself.” Yixing comforted.

However, Jongin could only shake his head. “It was entirely my fault.”

“Don’t dwell too much on it. It was an accident” Yixing sighed and pulled Kyungsoo along with him, leaving the room.

As soon as they left, the room was only left with Jongin and Lana. Lana soft breathing was comforting to his ears. He rose from his seat and went on the edge of the bed where she was at. His index finger gently touched her forehead as it traced down to her lips. Lana was undeniably a gorgeous girl. Her face was the essence of serenity yet Jongin was too blinded by his own anger, which only afflicted pain to her.

Jongin prayed his blood was sufficient and strong enough to cure her injuries. It might take a few hours or even days or weeks. He was even willing to sacrifice all of his blood if that’s the only way to make her live. Jongin’s fingers intertwined her soft fingers. As compared to his rough hand, Lana’s was small and soft. She felt just as warm too; an indication she was just as human as him. He didn’t know how or when it happened, but Lana never stopped lingering in his mind. She was irresistible to him. He desired her more than anyone. Ever since he knew he was the only one, who could hear the sound of her beating heart, his feelings just got deeper. He just wished she feels the same way.

To him surprise, just barely a few hours after the cure was given, Lana slowly opened her eyes. Jongin instantly knelt beside her and clutched her hand tightly. His heart was beating so fast.

“Lana...” Jongin called softly.

Lana opened her eyes and viewed her surrounding until her eyes landed on Jongin’s. Momentarily, she felt like the world just stopped spinning. For the first time ever, she has never felt so drawn to someone; so drawn to Jongin.

 

To be continued