Masked Tears

The Spiderweb of Love

 

DARA’s POV
 
I’ve been in my room the whole day, getting really sweaty. Ah, I just love getting physical sometimes.
 
“Ya! G-dragon! Are you even eating? Hold the punching bag firmly,” I commanded as I was having the time of my life trying my new boxing gloves and punching bag.
 
“Aren’t you tired? Let’s take a rest. C’mon I’m tired already,” he complained.
 
“Aish. You’re such a girl!”
 
“I’m not,” he said as he went to my bed and dropped himself there.
 
“One last round, Ji.”
 
“No, let me take a rest first.”
 
I looked at my bestfriend with defeated shoulders. I pouted childishly as I removed my boxing gloves. Then I suddenly smiled as I saw that he was barefooted. Haha, I thought. I know he’s weakness when it comes to tickling games. Hehe. I slowly went to him and started tickling him. He laughed as if there’s no tomorrow as he was kicking my fingers off.
 
“Why you little rabbit!” he exclaimed breathlessly, still laughing as he sat up and grabbed me by the waist. He pulled me down with him on the bed and started having his revenge as he tickled me too.
 
“Umma! Help me!” I screamed, laughing out loud.
 
We rolled all over the bed as we both fought for domination. My tummy started to ache from too much laughing. Then, we both fell on the floor, him on top of me. I frowned as I felt Ji’s hand under my head.
 
“Hey, are you alright?” he worriedly asked.
 
I scoffed. “You’ve been dragging me out of bed like a rag and my head hits the floor several times already. What’s with the worry this time? If you haven’t noticed, I’ve got thick skull,” I said, knocking my own head.
 
My bestfriend just stared at me. “Sohee’s right,” he mumbled mindlessly.
 
“About what?” I asked.
 
A frown creased his forehead. “That you got a cute face.”
 
“KYAA!” I shouted as I pushed him off me. I hit, punch, and bit every part of him that I could reach. Who is this guy? This isn’t my bestfriend! My bestfriend would never say that to me because he knows I hate it. And why did I suddenly remember Gorilla? AHH! Erase, erase, erase!!!
 
When I had enough, I pushed myself up, leaving a beaten Ji on the floor.
 
“That hurts!” he moaned.
 
“You shouldn’t have said that in the first place,” I said
 
“You’re overreacting! I was just joking!”
 
“Your fault,” I stubbornly insisted.
 
He didn’t answer and just crawled towards the bed.
 
“This’ll bruise tomorrow,” he groaned.
 
I followed him and jumped on the space beside him.
 
“Don’t worry, you’ll heal fast,” I cheered on.
 
“I’m not Wolverine, you know.”
 
“I know. You’re like a softer version of him, more of a gay version of Wolverine. Hehe.”
 
“Hehe. Very funny, Dara,” he mocked.
 
“Why are you so grumpy?” I asked.
 
“Why don’t you just massage me instead of babbling nonsense?”
 
“Pfftt. I don’t do massages. That’s a girl thing. Go to Umma.”
 
“Yeah, right, you don’t do massages because it’s a girl thing. Whatever, Dara. I’ve seen you always volunteering to massage your father before.”
 
I don’t know but that hit home. It was just a simple sentence but it gave my heart a little squeeze. I kept my mouth shut as the little moments of me and my father flashed into my mind. My bestfriend must have sensed what’s happening to me because he pulled me close to him and patted my head.
 
“You know that it wasn’t your fault, right? What happened to your father?” he quietly asked.
 
“It was my fault. If I was just a boy I could have been stronger, I could have helped him.”
 
“Gender is not the basis of strength, Dara. Your father said it himself. You were too young. Even if you were a boy, you could have done nothing to help-“
 
“I don’t want to talk about this anymore,” I cut off and stood up. “You have your rest already. I want to box again,” I added.
 
~o~
 
I was fighting with Gorilla again as we were waiting for Ms-All-So-Cutesy outside the school gate.
 
“Ya! Hyung!” my bestfriend called, putting a TEMPORARY halt to our showdown. “Where’s Sohee?” Ji asked.
 
I smirked as Gorilla’s attention was diverted. Without warning, I whacked Gorilla’s head with my notebook and started running away.
 
“What the-?! Why you little brat! Come back here!”
 
I secretly laughed as I ran with all the speed I could muster. Ha! I was 100% sure the Gorilla can’t catch me with this speed. I was laughing as I turned my head to check how far Gorilla was from me. But I was surprised to see his face inches from mine. How the hell did he do that?!
 
“Oof!” I gasped as I tripped and rolled over the ground.
 
 
 
 
 
JIYONG’s POV
 
I suddenly burst into running as I saw her rolled over the ground, with hyung, trying to stop her from rolling any further. I dropped to my knees in front of her as I inspected her. There were a few ripped parts in her leggings, her face was dirty, and there were wounds. Okay, I’m just overstating, there were a few cuts in her legs as exposed by the torn leggings of hers.
 
“Why are you so clumsy?” I asked angrily.
 
“It’s Gorilla’s fault!” she said, pointing an accusing finger at hyung, who was now standing beside her.
 
“Yeah, right. Blame your clumsiness on other people,” hyung sarcastically said.
 
“But Ji, have you seen how I rolled over? Haha! I felt like an action star! It was really amazing!”
 
I looked up and what I saw in her face made my blood boils. The girl was smiling! She had cuts all over her legs but she was smiling! How stupid is that? I gave her a deathly glare. “Oh, so you find having cuts and bruises very amazing, huh? Well, here’s a little something to feed that scattered-brain of yours: IT’S NOT FUNNY! IT’S NOT FUNNY AT ALL!” I bellowed.
 
She flinched. “Err, I find it funny, though,” she mumbled.
 
Ugh! The girl’s testing my patience! Ghad! I so wanted to shake her until that brain of hers BECOMES normal! Then, she started standing up.
 
“No worries, Ji, I’m fine. No need to shout like that. See? I- oh!” she fell on the ground again. I saw her reached for her ankle. I slapped her hand away.
 
“Oh, spraining your foot is fine. Definitely fine!” I sarcastically remarked. “Don’t touch that! It’ll only worsen!”
 
“I know how to massa-” she stopped as I gave another deadly glare at her.
 
“Come here,” I said, offering my back to her. I felt her arms on my shoulders as I took hold of her legs carefully and prepared myself to carry her on my back.
 
“Want help?” hyung offered.
 
“No, I’m fine,” I said as I staggered for balance.
 
“I can carry her for you,” hyung offered again.
 
“I can manage,” I answered. “She’s not that heavy after all.”
 
Hyung shrugged and looked at Dara. “Ya! Ssantokki, take care of yourself, will you? Stop being a burden to other people.”
 
My eyes squinted at hyung as I heard him call Dara with my pet name for her. How did he know about that?
 
“YA! I told you not to call me that!” Dara shouted.
 
“Hyung, tell Sohee I’ll call later,” I interrupted.
 
“Sohee? She’s not with you?” he asked, looking confused.
 
“No. I saw her classmates before I followed you and Dara. They said she went home early.”
 
“Oh, okay. Well, see you tomorrow at class. Hey, Park, nice legs.”
 
 
Later. . .
 
As expected, Dara fell fast asleep on my back. I made my steps quicker and bigger, wanting to get her home as fast as I can so I can tend to her cuts. As I arrived at Dara’s apartment, I saw a note attached to the door that Umma left. She said she’ll be out to buy some supplies since they’re running out of it. I put my bag down and searched for the key inside it, since I’ve got a duplicate key to their door.
 
I gently laid Dara down on her bed then went to her closet to get her something to change into. I took out a loose white shirt and a boxer short, one of the ones she stole from my closet, and put it next to her in the bed. Then, I looked for the first aid kit and brought a clean cloth and a basin with water with me. I removed her school uniform and leggings gently and started dressing her with the clothes I brought out. Then, I started tending to her wounds as she sleeps soundly. After tending to her wounds, I took the cloth in the basin and started wiping the dirt off her face and neck. I stopped as I saw her lips moved. I stared at it as a memory flashed into my mind. I suddenly chuckled and shook my head as the memory seemed so vivid, so fresh, like it’s really happening right now. Then, I continued wiping her. I suddenly saw her hand lift as she took one of my hands and brought it to her lips. She kissed the back of my hand gently and mumbled, “Appa.”
 
I saw a tear fell from one of her eyes. About time, I thought as I wiped the tear off with my thumb. The truth is, I hardly remember the last time she cried. All I can remember is that I never saw her cry during her father’s funeral. And she never cried ever since.
 
I sighed and looked at her gently, caressing some hair off her face. I know she’s been fighting her tears with pretty smiles and lies that she’s fine all these years. I also know that she blames herself for her father’s death. I tried so hard before to make her understand that what happened wasn’t her fault. That it was an accident but she won’t listen. She doesn’t even want to talk about it. I also tried making her cry before, because from what I’ve read, heard and believe, crying is the easiest way to relieve oneself from all the pain and suffering. But she hits me in the face everytime I do that, so I just thought of giving her time and just let her be. She never cried; doesn’t want to. So, I can’t help but smile that finally, I saw a tear fell from her eye.
 
I bowed down and kissed her forehead gently. “Sweetdreams, baby girl,” I whispered.
 
I went to my place after a while of watching my bestfriend sleep, calling her father. I took out my phone and started dialing Sohee’s residence number.
 
“Hello?” someone answered.
 
“TOP hyung! It’s Jiyong. Can I talk with Sohee?”
 
“Oh, it’s you. So, how’s Park?”
 
I frowned. “She’s fine. She’s actually sleeping right now.”
 
“Oh, I see. Wait, I’ll just call Sohee.”
 
I waited for a few seconds before I heard Sohee’s voice on the other line.
 
“Oppa, I’m sorry if I went home early. I wasn’t feeling well,” she explained.
 
“Oh, how are you feeling now?”