The Realization

The Spiderweb of Love

 

Mom wanted to let it appear that I didn't survive since I did lose a lot of blood. She said it'll be our excuse to leave the town and avoid questions with our sudden departure. Mom told me she wanted to start anew. I knew  Mom knew that Dad was bound to choose the Parks but maybe he saw how Mom was starting to lose her grip on realty so he went with us, and probably because I've already talked to Um- Mrs. Park. Maybe she did let him go. I pitied Mom at how she was so distraught. She was respectable in her field and she would be a laughing stock if the scandal leaked out. I know Mrs. Park was also afraid to tell Dara the truth, so I took advantage of it. When we left, Mom started studying the basics of business as she wants to be with Dad all the time. But not long after that, Dad died from heart attack. Mom attempted suicide a lot of times and I blamed Mrs. Park for it. Then, from my attempt to guard Mom, I started accompanying her in every meeting or social functions she attends to. That's the time I met Chaerin and the Lees. When Mom saw how strong the Lees' marriage was, she started going back to her alcohol addiction. That's when Dami noona stepped up for the role of Mom in the business since I wasn't ready at that time.
 
Ironically, Chaerin knows Dara. And not just “know” but she actually looked up to her. When I found out about that, I immediately told my Mom. I expected her to at least panic or act surprise but instead, she was glad. She told me that fate's giving me the chance to avenge her directly.
 
Oh yes, all this time, I've been thinking and acting as another person. I know Dara pretty enough that I can say seeing my face haunted her. But everything got screwed up. My heart messed it all up. There were a lot of times that I found myself staring at her, wanting to hug her. There were a lot of times that I slipped. Every pain I inflicted on her bounced back to me thrice painfully. The more I insult her, the more I wanted to comfort her. I really thought I was just avenging Mom. I really thought I was mad at her, angry at her and her mother but I realized I was wrong. When I saw TOP hyung in the beach, I realized I was wrong. I realized that I was actually mimicking TOP hyung. I was imitating the ways how he caught Dara's attention, and that is to piss the hell out of her. When I found out he knows the truth about our families, I felt fear. I was afraid that he would tell Dara the truth. I've seen how she loved her father, seen how she idolized him, how she worshiped him. I saw everything. And knowing her, the thought of her mother not loving her father would shatter her. From then on, I finally realized that it wasn't revenge. I wasn't avenging Mom, I was protecting Dara from more pain that's why I asked Mrs. Park to tell her I'm dead so I won't have to tell her everything. I thought it was better that way. I even told TOP hyung I won't fight. But everytime I see them together, I can't help feeling envious. I should have known from the very beginning that I'm in love with her. That explains why I can't stop drawing her, I always put up with her stupidity and her stubbornness. That explains why I sacrificed being with her.
 
 
DARA's POV
 
The days passed by as a blur. Nothing interesting or new happened. I was back to work, still on night shift. One thing changed, though: the cafe isn't operating on Sundays anymore. Tabi's been visiting me every weekend since he got classes on weekdays. Me and Mr. Kwon were back to our civil relationship. He's been literally ignoring me and it's pissing the hell out of me. But I guess it's for the better. I don't really want to “betray” CL. As much as I don't want to admit it, there were times that I can't help but ask myself, “what if CL's not inlove with him, could there be us?”. I also asked myself why I kept on responding to his. . . kisses. Only one answer comes to my mind and it's because it just feel so good that I tend to forget about everything, even Ji's death. Everytime I think of this, I always wrinkle my nose in disgust. I shouldn't be thinking about this in the first place. I mean, there's Tabi and CL. . .But I don't know, there's just something in Mr. Kwon that keeps on pulling me to him.
 
My phone rang. “Hello?”
 
“Ya! Ssantokki! There's a small celebration in my place this Sunday. I expect you to come, alright? And bring your friends with you,” Bom unnie said.
 
“Friends? Who are-?”
 
“The boys! BOYS, Dara! You know, TOP, Taeyang, Seungri and Hyun Seung? I want them to come there, too, ‘kay? Let's all meet in front of the cafe. Annyeong!”
 
“But-” I looked at my phone. I can't believe she hung up on me.
 
 
SUNDAY. . .
 
We all met up in front of the closed cafe. Dae, Minzy, CL and Mr. Kwon were already there when I arrived. Fifteen minutes later, a motorbike stopped in front of us with two people riding it: Tabi and Seungri.
 
“Where are the others?” I asked.
 
“They said they can't come,” Tabi answered as he went to hug me. “So, what's the celebration all about?” he asked.
 
“It's unnie's birthday,” I answered, then frowned. She usually celebrate extravagantly, sending embossed invitations to everyone and she usually have a “theme” on her birthdays and it's usually dress coded but it seemed like this year's celebration's a bit different.
 
“I wonder where the venue is this year.” I heard Minzy said. Oh, right. I forgot. She also has different venues on her birthdays.
 
A black Mercedes Benz suddenly appeared in front of me. The window lowered down, with unnie beaming at everyone. “Dae, Minkki, ride with me. The others follow me.”
 
“Oh, good. I didn't bring a car,” Dae said as he and Minzy went to unnie's car. Now what am I going to do?
 
“Dara unnie! Come ride with me and Jingyo oppa,” CL said.
 
Do I have choice? Oh, yes I do!
 
“Ya! Seungri-ah, let's switch places. You ride with CL-roo, i'll ride with Tabi.”
 
 
Later. . .
 
It turned out that the celebration's in unnie's house, if I can even call this a celebration. I mean, WE'RE the only ones invited. “What happened to the extravagant celebrations?” Dae asked, chuckling.
 
“I wanted a change. I wanted to make this year more personal. Plus, I've got a surprise for everyone!” she winked as we started dinner.
 
 
Much much later. . .
 
“So, are we all done? I've got treat for you guys! Come, come, let's go!” Bom unnie squealed excitedly. I didn't notice the time, probably because I enjoyed the foods. But anyhow, unnie started leading the way out of the dining area. She led us to a room, looking like a conference room, actually. She told us to take our seats, and we did. What weirdness is this, eh? When Bom unnie saw that we were all settled, she went out of the room. Then, a while later, she came back, assisting a lady whom I think was in her late 60's or 70's. The lady was wearing dark sunglasses. Then, she smiled.
 
“You've got interesting friends, Bommie,” she chuckled. Unnie led the lady to a couch at the center.
 
“Guys, this is Auntie Mi,” unnie introduced. We all stood up, bowed and greeted her.
 
Then, Seungri raised his hand. “Err, why is she wearing sunglasses? It's night already, right?” Seungri asked. Ugh! This is really embarrassing but I was glad he asked, I've been wondering about that myself.
 
“She's blind,” unnie explained, earning a collective “oh's” from all of us. “Anyways, eventhough Auntie's blind, she can SEE things.”
 
The others looked at each other. I slapped my forehead. I knew there's something weird going on with unnie but this is TOTAL WEIRDNESS. Beside me, I heard Tabi snorted.
 
“Hmmm. I can sense that most of you don't believe in things like this,” Auntie Mi said.
 
“It's quite understandable,” Tabi said. Auntie just smiled.
 
“Bommie, you know what to do, right?”
 
“Neh!” Bom answered then turned to us. “You guys have to pick a number so we'll know who's first and who'll follow. The moment you had your turn, you have to leave the room and wait outside.”
 
“But shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't we wait for our turn outside instead of-” Seungri raised his hand again.
 
“We run things differently,” unnie said. I looked around; everyone wears the same disbelief expressions. Well, except for CL and Seungri. Both of them looked excited. Bom unnie presented a fishbowl to us and we just went along with her. I sighed as I picked up the number 7. Great, I'm last.
 
“So, who's first?” unnie asked.
 
“Me,” Dae said. Bom unnie smiled and placed a chair in front of Auntie Mi.
 
“Sit here,” she told Dae.
 
“Give me your right hand,” Auntie Mi said the moment Dae sat in front of her. Dae complied. “Hmm… A very down to earth person, I see. And oh, you think your purpose in life is to take care of your parents and friends, such noble act,” Auntie Mi paused, then, continued, “you're confused. You're confused between pursuing your dreams or the one you love. And you've been thinking if you can pursue both at the same time. It won't work, so you have to choose. And you're going to make the choice when the year ends.”
 
“Ooh, interesting!” Bom unnie squealed, clapping her hands. I looked at Dae as unnie led her out. He was pale and sweating profusely. I didn't know he had a special someone. Now this is really intriguing. “Who's next?” unnie asked.
 
“Me,” Minzy raised her hand. She went to sit in front of Auntie Mi and automatically gave her right hand to the older woman.
 
“You've been living with the rules all your life. But, you will break the number one rule as you come of age. It will bring you happiness, yet, you will also feel regret. Aside from that, you have a very bright future ahead of you, child. And your path doesn't hold that much obstacles.”
 
“Wow! That's a very positive future you got there, Minkki!” unnie said. I looked at Mr. Kwon. He was staring at me. There's a look of uneasiness in him. I wonder what's making him uneasy.
 
“Next,” Bom unnie's voice entered my ears. I heard Tabi sighed beside me. I looked at him. He smiled then leaned to kiss me on the forehead. I watched him stood up and went to the chair in front of Auntie Mi.
 
“This better be good,” I heard Tabi said. I chuckled. He can really be tactless sometimes.
 
“Oh! Oh!” Auntie Mi exclaimed the moment Tabi gave her his right hand.
 
“What's with that dramatic oh?” Tabi asked impatiently.
 
“A beautiful person who sees himself ugly,” Auntie Mi smiled.
 
Tabi snorted in response. “Yeah, right. Do you expect me to believe you?”
 
“I agree with Auntie,” I said.
 
“See? I've got a witness,” Auntie Mi chuckled. “Hmmm, interesting. You've been wandering around, looking for something or someone you can call your own, solely yours. And. . .” Auntie Mi stopped and suddenly laughed out loud. “Don't worry, my boy, your dream of having someone to call your own is within your reach already.”
 
I don't know which I find weirder: the prediction about Tabi or Auntie Mi's delighted laughter. But I fidgeted in my seat. What did that prediction mean? Did that mean that I'll somehow end up with Tabi?
 
“Auntie, stop laughing. You're scaring my friends off,” unnie said the moment Tabi exited, head shaking. He obviously didn't believe her.
 
“Sorry. I just find him amusing and interesting. His personality is very. . .unique.”
 
“I'm next! I'm next!” Seungri announced, eagerly standing up. I chuckled at this, seeing how he seemed so excited. “So, what does my future hold?”
 
“You'll finish college right on time,” Auntie Mi answered. Seungri waited, anticipation was vibrating off his body. When Auntie Mi didn't continue, his shoulders fell.
 
“Err, is that it? How about my dream of meeting Jessica Alba or Lee Hyori? Will that come true? How about me being a famous dancer?”
 
“None of those will come true.”
 
“Oh, come on! Finishing college isn't really hard? I mean, doesn't my future hold any interesting-”
 
“I'm sorry. But I can only see you winning a bet that you yourself made and it would change your life. That's all.”
 
I can't help but laugh. Seungri's prediction is probably the lamest I've ever heard. Auntie Mi smiled patiently as Seungri headed towards the door. But, he turned around again. “Are you quite sure there's nothing else?” he asked, making Bom unnie pushed him out. When he was out of the room, CL immediately went to Auntie Mi. When the latter held CL's hand, she became very silent, I even thought she fell asleep.
 
“Hmmm. . .” Auntie Mi mumbled a little mournfully. “You're a very strong-willed girl and a fighter, too. But you'll be tested. Right now, your future's a little blurry. You're going to make the biggest decision of your life and it involves your happiness. And oh, wait, I can see you standing in a church with your soulmate, but it isn't clear as to why you're there. A word of advice my child, listen to your heart.”
 
Now that's really confusing. . . and creepy. I'm starting to get scared of what my future holds. BUT the question is, should I believe Auntie Mi? I mean, this isn't really REAL, right? Fortune-telling isn't really proven to be true, right?
 
“Young man, come here,” Auntie Mi quietly said. I glanced at Mr. Kwon. Basing from his face, he obviously doesn't want his future to be foretold and he obviously doesn't want to hear it either.
 
“Can I decline?” he asked.
 
“It's your choice,” the old lady answered.
 
“Well, good. I don't really want to-”
 
“Aish! Jiyong-ah! You are such a spoilsport!” Bom unnie scowled and went to Mr. Kwon. She pulled him towards the chair and forced him to sit down. Unnie grabbed Mr. Kwon's right hand and gave it to Auntie Mi. “Go on, Auntie.”
 
“I'd like to inform you that your presence is the second strongest I felt when I entered this room,” Auntie Mi started. Mr. Kwon remained silent. “Tsk, tsk, tsk. Pain. I can see a lot of pain from the past, present and the future. You're too wounded and broken beyond repair but wait,” Auntie Mi frowned. I frowned too. This would be the first time I saw her frown. “You can still be healed. That's odd. The one who broke you will also be the one who can heal you. And prepare yourself, the one you dreaded the most will happen. Oh dear!” Auntie Mi gasped. “Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. This is very tragic. Young man, you have to emerge from the pool of lies before it's too late.”
 
SILENCE. . .
 
“I can't,” Mr. Kwon whispered. This took me by surprise. I am so not hearing Mr. Kwon's voice sounding like that.
 
“Dear, no matter how strong the armor is, it will always have its weaknesses. It cannot shield everything. An arrow or two will eventually pierce through it.”
 
I saw Mr. Kwon stiffened and I heard his sharp intake of breath. I wanted to see his face but I can't since his back was facing me. I don't know what to feel. Who would have thought that someone like him had gone through so much? Auntie Mi said he was too wounded. His was probably the most “tragic” I've ever heard. And it's freaking me out already. I watched Mr. Kwon leave the room. I don't know why, but something inside me wanted to call him and tell him everything's gonna be okay. But I stopped myself.
 
“Ssantokki, you're next.”
 
I stood up and did what the others did. I sat on the chair and stretched my right hand to Auntie Mi. she smiled gently at me.
 
“Yours is the strongest presence I've felt a while ago,” Auntie said. “You're a very stubborn girl, aren't you? And a person with pride, too. But your stubbornness is not helping you, you know. Your attempts to escape are futile, so it would be better if you would just stop resisting.”
 
“I can't understand,” I said.
 
“Hmm. Imagine a fly trapped in a spider's web. Imagine it trying to escape, what usually happens?”
 
I thought for a while, looking at the ceiling, trying to imagine it. What usually happen when a fly try to escape from the spider's web? “Well,” I slowly said, “there could be two things. It's either the spider would notice the fly and trapped it even more or the fly would only get itself entangled in the web like the web would only engulf the fly on its own.” The old lady smiled and nodded. I smiled proudly, but then it disappeared. “I still can't understand,” I said. Actually, it only made me more confused.