The Proposition

The Spiderweb of Love

 

DARA’s POV
 
My eyes turned into tiny slits as he purposely called for a one-on-one with all the employees in the café. Dae was the first one to be called in his office, followed by Bom unnie then Minzy. I can’t help but think that he’s really trying his very best to piss me off because after the “one-on-one” of the three, they were told to go home IMMEDIATELY, for STRICT COMPLIANCE. Now, how did that piss me off? Well, here’s a thing, the café is not yet closed and mopped. And since I’m the only EMPLOYEE left, I’m 100% sure I’ll be closing and cleaning this place ALL BY MYSELF.
 
I entered his office with a bright smile, though the corners of my lips were shaking from irritation.
 
“Take a seat,” he blankly said. I followed eventhough my feet weren’t cooperating that much. “Introduce yourself,” he continued. I looked at him with raised brows.
 
SILENCE.
 
“Is your brain not in your head?” he asked. I squinted my eyes at him. “I told you to introduce yourself. Don’t you know your own name?” he impatiently burst out.
 
“We were already introduced and you already know my name. Why do you have to-?”
 
“That was informal. I’m asking you to introduce yourself formally as an employee.”
 
Does he really have to emphasize the EMPLOYEE? But inspite everything, I smiled again.
 
“Annyeonghaesseoyo! I’m Park Sandara,” I bowed and introduced myself. He looked at me impatiently. I raised an eyebrow again as I saw that he was waiting for me to say something.
 
“Are you really testing my patience?” he gritted.
 
What now? He told me to introduce myself and I just did already. “Err, why would I do that?” I hesitantly asked.
 
“I told you to introduce yourself and you just said-“
 
“I just did already.”
 
“Are you really that dumb? When I say introduce yourself, you’ve got to give me your profile. A profile!”
 
“Oh!” I chuckled lightly. “You should have told me earlier. Anyway, my friends call me Dara. I was born on November-“
 
“I’m not asking for that kind of profile,” he interfered.
 
“What are you asking for then? You should make your questions clearer, you know,” I said, suppressing a smile. Insult me all you want but don’t even think for a second that I won’t get back at you.
 
“Your educational background, your working experiences, that type of profile.”
 
“Oh, that. Well, I’m pretty sure CL-roo already told you that I only finished highschool and that this is my first job,” I shrugged.
 
He sighed impatiently. “This is hopeless!” he shook his head. “Since you seemed to be mentally incompetent, I’ll just proceed to the new changes I’m going to put in. I’m forbidding you to interrupt until I finished delivering all of them, got that?” he superiorly stated.
 
“Neh,” I answered.
 
“Okay, first, you are to report in my office before you change into your uniform. Second-“
 
“Report to you?!?”
 
“Yes, report to me. Second, starting next week, the café will be operating for 24 hours and you’ll be in the night shift with Bom noona.”
 
“Night shift?!? But-”
 
“THIRD,” he loudly interfered, “any interaction between a server and a customer during working hours is strictly forbidden, except of course if you’re going to get the orders and serve them. And oh, I’ll be hiring new people and IF I see any displeasure, I’ll be more than willing to terminate all of you. Fourth, work is work and playtime is playtime. I’m-“
 
“The fourth sounds the same with the third. Why don’t you just put them under one number?”
 
I saw his nostrils flared that he could actually inhale me in. I waited for an explosion but it didn’t come, instead, he continued as if there was no interruption. “I’m expecting that you know the difference between work and playtime. Lastly, I don’t want any of my servers accepting the customers’ invitation to join them when you are currently on duty,” he finished.
 
SILENCE.
 
“Everything clear?” he asked.
 
I suddenly stood up. “Ya! What kind of rules are those? The first rule is inappropriate! Why do I have to report to you when I already have a time card? And since when did we have a uniform? And that second rule, how stupid is that?!? Bommie unnie’s class will start when summer ends, how do you think will she able to manage her time? And the third and fifth are the dumbest rules I’ve ever heard! How will you establish a good relationship with the customers if you don’t interact with them? A good relationship with the customers is one of the best ways to earn their trust and loyalty. Earning their trust and loyalty will make them come back in this café over and over again. You should know that, you’re a manager!”
 
He suddenly stood up. “Are you questioning my position, Ms. Park?” he gritted. “Are you questioning the decision of the Lees to put this business in my hands? Now what, are you going to quit? Don’t you have any gratitude towards them?”
 
That made me shut up.
 
“If you don’t have anything more to say, you can start cleaning the place up and close it. And oh, one more thing, I don’t like that sharp-tongue of yours. You better start showing some respect to your superiors. Bear in mind that you’re just an employee here.”
 
 
Later. . .
 
I started mopping the floor. It’s not that hard, really. But it irritates me as to how he obviously keeps on doing this on purpose: pissing me off. But what pisses me off more is that I don’t know why he’s doing this. Is this some sort of punishment? Maybe Ji is testing me?
 
A logical side of my brain scolded me. I know it’s stupid to think that he is my bestfriend, but I can’t help it. The expressions, gestures are so the same, well except the way he treats me. I wanna believe that he is indeed my bestfriend, even in just a false world. Wouldn’t it be nice to think that he’s. . . . that he’s still here?
 
 
AUTHOR’s POV
 
“Make sure to check everything before you leave,” Jiyong said as he went for the door without even glancing at her. Dara sighed after watching his car got out of view.
 
After cleaning and checking everything, Dara closed the café and started walking home. A tingly sensation crept to her nape as if someone’s watching her. She looked back but the streets were empty. She shrugged it off and continued walking.
 
Her mind was working weirdly. Mixed thoughts of confusion, hope, expectations, pain, happiness and exhaustion made her unaware of the person closely watching her. As she arrived at the place that the Lees lent her, the person in watch sighed and looked at the closed door longingly. The person leaned on the post and stayed there for quite some time, looking at the place with intensity. Then the lights turned off. With that, he started walking to go to his own place.
 
 
JIYONG’s POV
 
I waited patiently for Chaerin to answer her phone.
 
“Hello?” she answered.
 
“Hey, do you have plans tomorrow?” I asked.
 
“Hmm, let me think. Uhm, na-da. Calendar’s empty.”
 
“Wanna go out for lunch?” I smiled eventhough she can’t see me. I heard her chuckle on the other line.
 
“You’ve got work, Mr. Kwon.”
 
“I know that but come on, it’s my treat. Give this as a gift for my, uh, let’s say promotion.”
 
“Okay. Okay,” she chuckled. “You’re so persistent, Oppa.”
 
“That’s me.”
 
 
The next day. . .
 
I parked my car outside the Lees’ house. I rang for the doorbell and was opened by their maid. She invited me in and told me that Chaerin will be down in a minute.
 
“Oppa! I’m ready!”
 
I looked up then smiled. “It’s nice seeing you in a dress once in a while.”
 
“I saved this for occasions like this,” she chuckled.
 
“I’m glad you exerted effort for me.”
 
I looked at her from head to toe. She was wearing a really nice flowy violet dress with tiny straps clinging to her shoulders. There’s-
 
“You’re making me blush, Oppa,” she interrupted my train of thoughts. My eyes went to meet hers.
 
“Oh!” I chuckled, “sorry about that. You’re just too stunning for me to take.”
 
Chaerin gave a heart laugh as she blushed deeply. “I suggest we better get going,” she said a while later.
 
“Hmmm. Can’t wait to have a date with me?” I teased.
 
 
Later. . .
 
“Do you want to go to the café with me?” I asked after having a very fun lunch with her. We just click. We simply compliment each other, agree on almost everything.
 
“I’d love to. I haven’t seen Dara unnie for a while,” she said. That erased the smile off my face. Okay, I did say that we agree to ALMOST everything.
 
 
CL’s POV
 
I saw oppa grimace the moment I mentioned Dara unnie’s name. I shook my head gently. I just don’t get it. I mean, unnie is really adorable so I can’t understand why oppa doesn’t like her. “Dara unnie is really-“
 
“Halt! I don’t wanna hear any stories about her anymore.”
 
“Why?” I asked indignantly.
 
“I’m not really interested.”
 
“But I can’t understand why you don’t like her. I mean, she’s very-“
 
“Chaerin,” he started but I interfered him, too.
 
“Oppa, it’s really hard for me to understand why,” I heard him sigh as I gave him an expectant look.
 
“Here’s a thing, Chaerin, she. . . she irritates me. I don’t like the way she talks with that disrespectful tone and not to mention that our first meeting was not that pleasant either. And oh, I don’t like how she acts like a guy and how close she is to you.”
 
I laughed. “Are you trying to say that unnie is a lesbian and has a thing for me?” I asked in disbelief. Then, my eyes grew wide and my laughter faded as he remained silent.
 
“Oh-mai-gah, Oppa! I can’t believe this! You actually think she’s lesbian! Aigoo! This is so funny!”
 
 
At the café. . .
 
I was clutching my tummy as I was still laughing so hard when Oppa parked his car in front of the café. I stepped out of the car, still laughing.
 
“Stop laughing, will you?” I heard him say. Instead of stopping, I even laughed harder, making me surrender on all-fours on the ground. “Ya! Stand up! If you’ve forgotten, you’re wearing a dress, lady.”
 
I quickly stood up as I realized the implications of what he was saying but I didn’t stop laughing, making oppa blush deeper. I started walking towards the café when I stopped as I saw Dara unnie and Minhwan talking through the glass wall. I looked at Oppa and chuckled. “See? I told you she’s not a lesbian,” I said.
 
“What do you mean?” he asked, confused.
 
I pointed at unnie and Minhwan. Then, I looked back at oppa and saw his surprised expression, more of a shock actually.
 
“I told you,” I mouthed.