Unknown Reasons

The Spiderweb of Love

 

DARA’s POV
 
I jumped in surprise as I heard someone cleared a throat. I turned around and saw Mr. Kwon standing in front of me with hands on his pockets. I was currently doing some inventory in the storage room. I waited for him to say something but when he didn’t utter a single word, I continued what I was doing.
 
“You didn’t report to me,” he started.
 
“Do I really have to do that?” I asked without looking at him, eyes still focused on what I was writing.
 
“I told you it’s-“
 
“Don’t you go telling me it’s a protocol because Eun Mi and Jang Eun told me that YOU didn’t mention anything of that protocol to them.”
 
SILENCE.
 
I suddenly can’t keep it anymore. I stopped what I was doing and turned to face him. “WHY?!? Why did you do that?” I burst out. He just looked at me then shrugged. “Ugh!” I irritably exclaimed. “What are you doing here anyways?”
 
He didn’t answer.
 
“Yeah, right. Go on, Dara, continue talking to a wall!” I scowled at myself. I heard him chuckled lightly. I sighed. “Look, you said it yourself, work is work and playtime is playtime. As you can see, I’m working right now so if you don’t have anything to say or do, then I suggest you better leave,” I snapped.
 
“Are you really like that to your superiors?”
 
That made me think. Well, the honest answer would be a no. But like what I’ve found out before, I don’t know why but the “old” Dara seem to come out when he’s around: the sarcastic Dara, the Dara who always act superior to her bestfriend, Ji. “Well, no,” I mumbled.
 
SILENCE.
 
“I just came here to personally thank you for taking care of me when I was sick. Chaerin said-“
 
“It’s nothing,” I cut him off. I don’t want to hear thank you’s just because someone ordered them to. “Don’t be too grateful, by the way. I did that for CL-roo and not because of you. If it weren’t for her, I would immediately leave you behind. After all the insults you threw at me, you can’t expect me to help you, can you? So I think CL-roo deserve your thank you more than I do,” I added.
 
Another silence passed between us. I thought he already left but when I looked back, I saw him still standing there.
 
“Yeah, you’re right. Chaerin deserve a thank you for always visiting me in the hospital.”
 
SILENCE.
 
“The others visited me, too. Actually, all of the employees here visited me. Except you.”
 
I rolled my eyes. “I already did my part,” I answered then went back to what I was doing.
 
“Oh, by the way, your cooking skills ,” he said the same time I heard the door closed.
 
BLANK.
 
BLANK.
 
Did he just insult me again? Did he just insult my skills in cooking?
 
I stood there for a while, and then I marched loudly out of the storage room with one destination in head: his office. I can’t believe this! He did! He just insulted me! After all the troubles I went through just to get it done.
 
I banged his door open then loudly closed it too. My eyes turned into their tiniest slits when I saw how relaxed he was in his chair, lounging, with hands over the back of his head and a very smug look on his face. “Ya!” I burst out.
 
“Don’t you know how to knock?” he asked, still with that smug smile. Ugh! I want to wipe those lips off his face! I suddenly looked away as I caught myself staring at it. He’s a devil! He knows how to distract me.
 
“Did you just insult my cooking skills?”
 
He chuckled. “No. I just stated a fact.”
 
“Ya! Is that your way of showing gratitude? How dare you lecture about gratitude to me a while back when you don’t even know how to show one yourself?!?” I saw him stood up and started walking towards me. But that didn’t stop me from ranting. “If CL-roo hears about this, I’m pretty sure she’ll-“
 
“Don’t you ever shut up?” he breathes, blowing gentle air against my face.
 
Eh? How come I haven’t notice he was near already? TOO NEAR to be exact. “No. I won’t stop until I get all my irritation out!”
 
He smirked. “Don’t worry. I’m very generous when it comes to showing my gratitude.”
 
Oops! I suddenly felt something solid behind me. Oh! I’ve hit the wall. How the hell did I end up cornered in this wall? How come I haven’t noticed that he was closing in so much that I ended up retreating and hitting the wall?
 
I saw him raised an arm and leaned it against the wall, near my head. This smells and looks trouble. “Really?” I choked. The playful smirk disappeared and was replaced by a naughty smile.
 
“Do you want to get it now?” he asked in a hushed, seductive voice. My eyes UNINTENTIONALLY darted to his lips. I swallowed so hard I swear I even heard it clearly. I looked back at his eyes.
 
“Err, maybe next time,” I squeaked in a small voice. He burst out laughing.
 
“Now I know what scares you. I thought you weren’t scared of anything. Omo! You looked so scared!” he laughed. I balled my fists tightly and was ready to land BOTH of them in his face when a memory flashed into my head. A lump started building in my throat as I remembered Ji again. This scene reminds me of the time when Ji got drunk and he was acting all weird on me then he would suddenly burst into hysterical laughter. Mr. Kwon must have seen something had change in my face because he stopped laughing. His face turned solemn as he stared at me. “Sandara, I didn’t mean to offend you. I was just-“
 
I didn’t wait for the rest of the words. I just turned around and went for the door, leaving him behind. I’d rather let him think that I got scared and offended than him finding out the real reason why I’m being teary up. I don’t really want any one to see me being weak, crying. I went to the storage room and sat in the farthest corner. I hugged my knees tightly to my chest and let my tears flow. I hate being weak but I missed him so much. I just missed Ji so much.
 
If only. . .
 
The memory of Ji stings me like hell. But what really triggered my tears was the way Mr. Kwon said my name like that.
 
Sandara.
 
I’ve only known one person who got the courage to call me Sandara. I’ve only heard one person who utter that name in a million ways to annoy me, to piss me, to comfort me.