Stranger's Eyes

The Spiderweb of Love

 

DARA's POV
 
“Are you alright?” he asked, looking worried. I curled my fists into tight balls then it flew straight into his face.
 
“How dare you!” I shouted.
 
“Unnie!” both CL and Minzy exclaimed as Bom unnie and Daesung's eyes grew wide.
 
“Ya! What was that for?” the boy said, looking aghast.
 
The nerve! How dare he ask what was that for?!?
 
“Ya! How dare you ask that question?!? You deserve more than that for disappearing just like that for two years! It was not a funny joke, Kwon Jiyong!”
 
“Oh, you know each other?” CL asked, looking back and forth between us.
 
I heard him say “no!” the moment I said “neh!”
 
“But unnie knows your name, Oppa,” CL said.
 
“Of course I know his name! I've known him since I was born!”
 
“You're out of your mind! I don't even know you! I've only heard your name through Chaerin!” Kwon Jiyong burst out.
 
“Oh, puh-leeze, Kwon Jiyong, stop pretending already!” I rolled my eyes.
 
“How'd you know my name?”
 
“Huh! How'd you know my name he asked!” I mocked. “I know a lot about you and it's not only your name! I know for a fact that you were born in Busan; that your mother is a doctor and your father is a business-”
 
His cynical laughter made me stop.
 
“My father is dead some years ago already. And my mother is not a doctor, she's an executive in a company and FYI, I was born in Japan, not in Busan.”
 
My smile faded. But. . .he. . .looks exactly like Ji! He even got the same name. This is a joke, right?
 
“B-but you looked exactly like him!” I whispered. Kwon Jiyong shook his head.
 
“Looking exactly like someone doesn't mean you have the right to punch them and that they’re the same person!” he remarked then turned to CL. “I can't believe you're being friends with this type of person. Are you sure she's not. . . you know, someone who needs psychological help?”
 
“Oppa!” CL irritably said.
 
I want to think that he's lying, that HE is MY BESTFRIEND. I'm so close. I was so close to rejoicing that he's still alive, only to be disappointed. But I just can't accept it. My mind's been telling me he's gone but my heart kept on stubbornly denying it. I looked at him again and I saw disgust in his eyes. This is not him. He would never look at me that way. I tried looking for some recognition in his eyes, but I see nothing. He's looking at me like I'm some sort of a stranger.
 
“Mianhe,” I bowed. “I made a mistake. I think I overworked, that's why I'm beginning to have hallucinations. I'm sorry, CL-roo. I'm sorry Ji-..Jiyong sunbaenim.”
 
“It's okay, unnie. I suggest you take a day-off tomorrow and take-”
 
“Oh, no. I'll be fine.”
 
 
CL's POV
 
An awkward silence filled the car as Jingyo oppa was driving me home.
 
“She's not what you described,” he finally broke the silence. I swallowed awkwardly.
 
“You just caught her off the moment.”
 
“She punches like a guy,” he noticed.
 
I can't help but chuckle. “Neh, that's her. She acts and thinks tough but her heart is as fragile as a thin sheet of glass. I actually think that it's her way of protecting herself.”
 
“Just like you?” he ushered. “But I don't know. I don't like her. She seemed like a bad influence to you. I can't help but think that you're starting to imitate her. Is that why you're being hesitant to be with me? Because you're trying to protect yourself?”
 
“Ya! She's not a bad influence! If you get to know her better, she's really sweet and kind.”
 
“I don't know about that. But one thing's for sure, you're sweeter that any girl I know of.”
 
I shook my head, chuckling. “You're such a player, Oppa.”
 
 
DARA's POV
 
“Sheesh, stop staring will you? It's creeping me out!”
 
I jumped in surprise when I heard Bommie unnie's voice.
 
“What are you talking about?” I innocently asked.
 
“Yeah, right. Act like you don't know what I'm talking about. You've been staring at Jiyong for as long as I can remember,” she sniggered. “Ah, poor Minhwan, he's waiting in vain.”
 
“Unnie!” I wailed. “Sunbaenim just looked exactly like my friend that I haven't seen for two years so it's really weird for me to see someone who looks exactly like him. And besides, he is CL-roo's boyfrie-”
 
“Nope, he's not yet. I heard Jiyong really like our CL and his mother also wants CL to be with her son but the thing is, Chaerin is being hesitant.”
 
“How'd you know that?”
 
“That's what you call talent,” she winked.
 
I shook my head as I watched unnie go away. The cafe is not that crowded today, probably because it's Tuesday. Tuesdays are really slow. I sighed. I want to move and be occupied with work. But because it's a slow day, I have no choice but to LOOK at him. I still can't get over it. I actually haven't slept properly for the past three days. How can I?
 
Right now, I don't know what to believe or think anymore. For the past days that he's been hanging here, I've been silently watching him. And I swear the way he smile, the way he laugh, the way he talk, the way he sips his coffee is so Kwon Jiyongish, my bestfriend. It's making me confused. Aside from the name, the face, the body, the acts and gestures, my Ji and CL's Jiyong share nothing in common.
 
I know it's crazy but I wanna believe that he's my Ji and he's just pretending that he doesn't know me. I wanna believe that it's just his way of getting back at me for all my shortcomings and the punches and the way I treated him like a dog.
 
“Hey, your loverboy's here,” I heard Daesung said. I rolled my eyes.
 
“Stop calling him that, will you? He's NOT my loverboy,” I answered stiffly.
 
“If you say so,” he chuckled. I glanced at Minhwan and groaned out loud as he took a seat beside Jiyong sunbaenim's table. He waved happily as he saw me looking at him. I gave a small smile.
 
“Hey!” he greeted the moment I went to his table.
 
“Hey!” I greeted back. “The usual?” I asked.
 
“Neh. And oh, make it two for each,”
 
I frowned a little but then I chuckled. “Hungry?” I asked.
 
“Well, a bit. But I'm actually dining with someone special.”
 
“Oh, really? Good to hear that.”
 
He just winked at me and smiled. I turned back to the counter and gave Dae the order.
 
“For two?” he asked curiously.
 
“Neh. He's dining with someone,” I playfully said.
 
“Why do you look so relieved?” he asked, chuckling.
 
“I am relieved. The boy deserves someone way better than me.”
 
Dae looked at me carefully. “Why are you downplaying yourself too much?”
 
“No, I'm not. I'm just stating a fact,” I answered defensively.
 
“If CL's going to hear that, you'll be out of here,” he said, shaking his head. I laughed. Well, it's true. CL doesn't like hearing about downplaying or humble statements. She's just like that. And I love that about her but like I said, I'm simply stating a fact.
 
FACT. Before, I used to have a LOT of confidence to the point of stupidity but eversince Ji-
 
Oh, well. Let's just say that two years did some wonders in me.
 
“Ya! Loverboy's orders are ready to serve.”
 
I looked up at Dae and smiled as I took the tray off the counter.
 
“Your orders,” I said as I served his orders. “Looks like your date is late,” I .
 
Minhwan chuckled. “Actually, she arrived earlier than me.”
 
I frowned and looked around, trying to see a girl sitting alone. But I didn't find any. Oh, maybe she's in the comfort room. So I just shrugged and looked back at Minhwan.
 
“Oh well, enjoy your date,” I said and was about leave when he stopped me.
 
“Where are you going?” he asked.
 
“Err, to the counter?”
 
“Why?” he asked again.
 
“Err, to work?” I chuckled.
 
“You want me to enjoy my date, right?”
 
“Of course I do!” I answered.
 
“Then take a seat. I won't enjoy it without you.”
 
I looked at him in disbelief. “M-me?!”
 
“Neh, you're my date.”
 
“But you haven't asked me yet,” I uttered.
 
“I'm asking you now,” he smirked.
 
“B-but I-”
 
I heard someone coughed. I looked at the source and saw sunbaenim looking at me. I tried reading what he's trying to convey but I can't figure it out. Err, is he trying to say that customer's always right?
 
“The foods are waiting,” I heard Minhwan said. I looked back at him.
 
“Oh, well, I. . .okay,” I answered and took a seat across him, my back facing Jiyong sunbaenim.
 
The conversation started off awkward. But it eventually went well. He was easy to talk with and has a light mood. It was so easy to make him laugh with some silly jokes.
 
“Err, can I ask you something?” he asked later on.
 
“What is it?” I asked back.
 
He motioned his fingers, asking me to lean closer, towards him. I frowned but complied.
 
“Do you know that guy behind you?” he whispered in my ear.
 
“Neh,” I nodded.
 
“Err, is he a suitor? Or a boyfriend?”
 
“No,” I quickly answered. “Why?” I asked.
 
“Err, he keeps giving me dagger stares and it's scaring me.”
 
“Really?” I asked with wide eyes. Minhwan nodded. That explains the heavy aura I'm feeling behind me. I slowly turned my head, and I mean VERY SLOWLY peeked behind me. I tried covering my eyes with my hair to not make it too obvious. I swallowed hard when I found out that Minhwan was telling the truth. Jiyong sunbaenim suddenly stood up. I straightened up and faced Minhwan again.
 
“What time will Chaerin be arriving?” he asked, with a hint of irritability in his voice. I looked up and flinched a little as I saw how deadly his glare was.
 
“Err, she'll be here in. . .” I stopped and looked at the watch, “15 minutes or so. Err, why are you asking me? You could have called her, you know,” I finished.
 
I was expecting him to go back to his table but he just stood there, looking at us.
 
“Err, do you want something else?” Minhwan asked. Sunbaenim turned to me
 
“Err, I think I should go back to work,” I mumbled.
 
“No, wait. Finish this cake first. It'll be a waste if you don't eat it.”
 
I looked at the cake hungrily. Oh well, it won't hurt to at least finish it, right?
 
“Okay, then, if you insist,” I smiled, ignoring the deadly glares from my right side.