Lightning Strikes

The Spiderweb of Love

 

“So you thought you could easily get away unscathed, huh? Well, you thought wrong,” he gritted.
 
“You deserved it!” I fired back.
 
“Maybe I do but don’t go lying to Chaerin. She doesn’t deserve to be lied to.”
 
I flushed. It wasn’t really a major lie, right? I was just playing around since he’s been so insulting, but it’s true that CL-roo doesn’t deserve to be lied to. I looked down. He does love her. Lucky him.
 
“Oppa!” CL emerged. She smiled at the both of us. “Everything’s good?” she asked. Ah, saved by the bell, rather by Chaerin.
 
“Neh!” we chorused.
 
“Good. I’d better get going.”
 
“Where are you going?” I asked.
 
“Home,” she simply answered. I frowned.
 
“But-“
 
“Oh, I forgot to tell you,” CL-roo chuckled. “I still have classes tomorrow and the next day, so I have to go back. Our break will start this Wednesday, so. . .”
 
“Y-you’re leaving?! But. . . but you. . . you can’t leave!” I protested. I can’t imagine myself being in one house with Mr. Kwon. “Wait, wait, wait. You said ‘we’, does that mean. . . the others won’t be here ‘til Wednesday?!?”
 
“I have to go to my classes unnie and so do the others,” CL explained.
 
“When did you say the caretaker’s around?” I asked, a little breathless. CL smiled, a dark gleam in her eyes. I know that look: mischief.
 
“Mr. Jang will be leaving with me later,” she answered.
 
“How am I going to last with no company but Mr. . .” I stopped. “You know I can’t cook that much,” I said.
 
“Jingyo oppa can cook.”
 
Oh no! How did this happen?!
 
“CL-roo,” I pleaded. But I know it’s useless. She won’t be swayed but I’ve got to try at the very least.
 
“You’ll be in good hands, unnie. And if oppa misbehaves, I’m just a phone call away,” she said. I sighed, eventhough deep inside I wanna scream the words: LEE CHAERIN!!!!!!!!!!
 
I guess there’s nothing I can do, right? And I know why she’s doing this. She wants me and Mr. Kwon to get “close” and be friends. I shivered. It seemed too impossible. Just impossible. It gives me the creeps from just thinking of those two words: close and friends.
 
Yikes.
 
 
Later. . .
 
I reluctantly waved at CL and Mr. Jang as they left. When they were out of sight, I can feel the deafening silence throbbing in my ears. I don’t like this. I don’t like this at all. Then, I heard him scoffed. I turned to him with sharp eyes.
 
“What was that for?” I snapped. He turned to me with dark eyes then just walked away. I stared at his back indignantly. “Ya! I’m talking to you!” I said, marching behind him. He suddenly stopped and turned sharply to me. I was caught by surprise and because he did this without warning, I bumped into his chest. I almost fell down from the impact but he grabbed me by the shoulders to stop me from falling. I find this really weird because the look in his eyes makes me wanna go into hiding but the way he was holding me was. . . . well, too gentle for my liking.
 
“I don’t talk to people who don’t want me as a company,” he said and walked away. I stared at him with disbelief.
 
Did I just hear a little “hurt” in his voice? Or was it just my imagination?
 
 
AUTHOR’s POV
 
Dara took a shower. She was still thinking if she did hear a little hurt in Jiyong’s voice or if it was just created by her weird brain. There’s a light knock on the door.
 
“Dinner’s ready,” a curt voice said through the door, followed by footsteps. Dara quickly put on clothes and went down. She saw Jiyong started eating without her. She took the seat across him since the plate was set on it, and started attacking the meal. To her surprise, she found them really good that she can’t help herself for more servings. She was so into the food that she didn’t notice the silence hanging like a poisonous gas around them. The sounds of the utensils against the plates were the only sounds. Abruptly, Jiyong stood up and took his plate to the sink, leaving Dara pouting. But then, she shrugged it off and continued eating. Nothing can ruin her appetite.
 
Dara leaned her back against the chair, rubbing her stomach and burped out loudly. A satisfied smile appeared on her face. Then, seeing the empty plates, she took the liberty of washing them since it’s only fair, she guess, with him being the cook and her being the dishwasher.
 
11:00 pm
 
Dara tossed in her bed. Then, she started hearing soft raindrops until it got heavier and heavier. It looks like the heaven is mourning with her. She stepped into her slippers and climbed down, immediately went into the kitchen and prepared herself a cup of coffee. She took the cup up, planning to take it with her in her room. She turned around when a silent lightning hit and she saw a shadow in front of her. How stupid of her not to open the main lights? She jumped, gave a squeak and jumped in surprise, spilling the coffee at the front of her shirt. She screamed as she felt the hot coffee drenched her shirt.
 
“Hot!” she gasped. Jiyong went into the sink and took a glass of water, splashing it across her chest. Then he opened the lights and was about to shout how clumsy and stupid she was when his eyes unintentionally darted to the front of her shirt. Her eyes widen in shock as she turned red. SHE'S FRIGGINLY NOT WEARING A BRA!!!
 
“You. . .” Jiyong stammered and swallowed hard. “You should go, uh, go change your shirt,” he finished, turning his gaze away from her. Needn’t telling her twice, she ran to her room and closed the door and locked it. She leaned against it, breathing heavily. How stupid could she get?
 
Ugh! This is really embarrassing! she thought, closing her eyes in dismay. She slapped her forehead over and over again, trying to think that HE didn’t see anything. The problem is, she knew he saw ‘something’ since she wasn’t wearing a bra and her shirt was soaking wet. And judging by the way he looked a while ago, HE REALLY DID SEE SOMETHING. She dived in the bed and buried her head in the pillows, kicking childishly.
 
Erase, erase, erase! she screamed in her mind. But the image of Jiyong looking surprised and stunned kept on crawling into her head.
 
On the other hand, Jiyong was standing in front of Dara’s room, a hand raised in the air as he was planning to knock but thought better of it. He dropped his arms on his side lamely and stared at the closed door. “I think I should just get a shower,” he mumbled to himself.
 
 
Meanwhile. . .
 
Is this what I get from bathing Ji? Dara asked herself. The logical side of her mind shook the thought away since it’s really inappropriate to compare different persons but why is it so hard to accept? She just can’t find it in her heart that Ji will never come back. She sighed then stood up, pulling the shirt off her. She grabbed a new one and made sure to pull a bra out, too.
 
After putting it on, she dropped herself to the bed and stared at the ceiling, listening to the heavy pour of the rain. Out of nowhere, the lights went out. Perfect, she grimly thought at the loss of the electricity.
 
Dara glanced around shyly.
 
“Look how cute she is!”
 
“You’re in for the running when this one grows up.”
 
“She’ll be a heartbreaker, someday.”
 
“Ya! Stop talking like that in front of the child,” Mr. Park shooed his co-workers. Then, he turned to his daughter. “Hey there, baby girl. Are you bored already?”
 
The little girl shook her head. “Ani. I like it here, the people are so honest,” she grinned. Mr. Park let out a hearty laugh.
 
The day passed by. The little girl sighed. “Appa, I missed playing with Ji already. We should bring him with us next time.”
 
“Sure.”
 
The sun set down. Dara saw through her window that the stars were sparkled like tiny little diamonds. She smiled, thinking that they’ll be going home soon and she’ll get to play with her bestfriend. Then, the building started shaking, the lights started to blink as the tables and their contents started shaking hard, too.
 
“Sandara!”
 
Dara was now being held by his father as she heard confusing sounds. The quivering intensified. She started crying.
 
“Hush, hush. Appa is here.”
 
Dara didn’t notice how long the building was shaking but it eventually stopped. She felt her father loosen his hold on her. She stood up and looked around. Gasping with surprise as she can’t recognize what happened to the place anymore. She started hearing cries, anguished screaming, and panicked pleas for help. She felt lost but then she suddenly felt strong arms took her up. She looked up and saw her father. Then, he put her down in a corner.
 
“Stay here.”
 
“But-”
 
DARKNESS.
 
Then, a pool of colors burst into her eyes. As if nothing happened, she was now back in the office.
 
Her eyes grew wide as she saw the second floor beginning to collapse. A portion of the floor cracked, and then it totally gave in, making the others shriek with fear. A woman suddenly fell through it, making the others shriek even louder. Dara screamed once and cried. She looked behind her, expecting to see her bestfriend running to her aid but then, she remembered he wasn’t anywhere near. The portion that gave in grew bigger, pulling some along with it. The shaking intensified then it stopped. As stubborn as she was, she bravely walked through the gaping hole.
 
A series of blurred colors flashed before her closed eyes.
 
“Appa!” she sobbed.
 
“Hush. Don’t cry any more, baby. Be brave, okay? Be brave like Appa, and for your mother. I love you, baby.”
 
Dara jerked awake, breathing heavily. She trembled as she saw nothing but darkness.
 
“Ji!” she called out and reached out beside her, finding nothing but cold sheets. She stood up and went out.
 
 
JIYONG's POV
 
I heard a soft knock on the door despite the heavy rain pouring outside. I stood up and walked lazily to the door and opened it. The lightning suddenly striked, giving me a glimpse of Dara with a disheveled hair, going in every direction. Her eyes were wide as she looked at me.
 
“Ya! If you're trying to scare me, it's not really working,” I said, but then, she suddenly flung herself to me. I was caught by surprise, for a moment, I just stood like a statue but then I felt her trembling against my chest. My arms automatically went to wrap around her protectively.
 
“What's wrong?” I gently asked.
 
“I can't sleep,” she murmured against my chest, making me swallow hard as I felt her lips moved against my shirt.
 
“Had a bad dream?” I asked. She nodded. I sighed then pulled her in, closing the door behind her. I let her go and lead her towards the bed. “You can sleep here for the meantime,” I said.
 
“I don't want to sleep alone,” she said. I thought for a moment, thinking whether I should say yes or no. But through the little light provided by the lightning, I can see that she was still shaking.
 
“I won't leave you,” I said. I lay down and told her to do the same. She moved closer to me, so close that I can feel the heat coming through her; so close that I can feel the way she trembles. Instinctively, I put an arm under her head while the other wrapped around her. I pulled her even closer and rested my chin on her head.
 
Time ticked by. I don't know what time it is already but I don't really mind, though. Slowly, the heavy rain started to mellow down. She wasn't trembling anymore, though there's a light snore coming from her. I felt her moved a little, freeing her one arm as she hugged me. I felt the soft, hot breath coming from at the base of my throat. I shut my eyes tightly, thinking this will be a VERY LONG night for me.