Lies

The Spiderweb of Love

 

Sunday - 5:26 am
 
I jerked awake as I heard a knock on my door. Aish! Why do I keep on hearing knocks on my door lately? I groggily stood up and went to open the door. “It's morning already,” Bom noona said.
 
“Huh?” I blankly asked but she just walked away. I shook my head then closed the door, going back to bed. Then, I saw Dara. The sight of her woke the hell out of me. I finally remembered that I should have returned her to her room already. I quickly carried her, peeked outside to check if the coast is clear. When I was sure that no one's around, I immediately went to Dara's room and put her down on the bed. I tucked her in and patted her head. “Behave,” I whispered.
 
BREAKFAST. . .
 
“Good morning!” I cheerfully greeted everyone.
 
“Oppa's in a good mood today,” Minzy noticed.
 
“Had a good sleep!” I beamed.
 
“I'm sure you did,” Bom noona chuckled. Noona's really. . . scary and weird. The way she talks and look at me freaks me out a little, it's as if she knows something.
 
“Is there something wrong, Dara?” Taeyang asked. My head whipped to Dara. She was frowning alittle and there's a look of confusion in her face.
 
“I had a very good dream last night, I just can't remember it. It's kinda frustrating!”
 
“How did you know it was good if you can't remember it?” Hyun Seung chuckled.
 
“I woke up smiling and in a good mood so I guess I had a good dream.”
 
“It's just a dream, Dara. Don't stress yourself too much,” TOP hyung said.
 
“It's just that, it felt so real,” Dara said mindlessly.
 
“I'm sure it did,” Bom noona chuckled.
 
Ah, I was just sent to heaven!
 
“Oppa, what's so funny? You're smiling by yourself,” Chaerin's voice broke through my ears.
 
10:45 am
 
DARA's POV
 
All of us were prepared to leave already. Tabi and the boys will be going home and so are we. The gang were now crowded around me, laughingly and boyishly saying our goodbyes. Tabi was being quiet and the boys started to notice it.
 
“Okay, okay. Let's give the lovebirds some time alone,” Hyun Seung said and went to say goodbye to Mr. Kwon and the others.
 
“I'll visit you as much as I can,” he said. I smiled and hugged him.
 
“I'm going to miss you,” I said.
 
“Are you sure you still want to work in the cafe?” he asked.
 
“Neh. It feels good to earn my own money,” I said.
 
He laughed. “Are you really the brat I've met in high school?”
 
I laughed back. “Do I look different?”
 
“You're more beautiful now,” he quietly said, making me stop from laughing.
 
“Ahm, tell Umma I love her,” I said instead.
 
“I will.” He planted a gentle kiss in my left temple. “Take care,” he whispered as he hugged me again.
 
“You, too.”
 
“TOP hyung, let's go!” Seungri called. Tabi sighed and stepped back.
 
“Aish! That kid is getting on my nerves already!” he darkly said, making me chuckle, then he looked at me. “I guess I really have to go,” he said.
 
 
Later. . .
 
I was in Mr. Kwon's car with CL since she asked me to ride with them. Minzy and Bom unnie on the other hand joined Dae in the van.
 
11:30 am
 
“Going to grab some take-out,” Mr. Kwon said as he parked the car across a fastfood chain.
 
“Coming with you,” CL said.
 
“Me, too!” I seconded.
 
“No, you stay here,” Mr. Kwon said. I pouted. The two of them stepped out of the car. I saw Minzy and Dae did the same, the four of them crossed the street, going to the fastfood chain.
 
 
10 minutes later. . .
 
I stepped out of the car and went to the van. I peeked inside and saw Bom unnie wearing headphones with eyes closed. She's probably sleeping. I tapped my foot impatiently. I looked across the street. What's taking them so long? Well, there's only one way to find out, right? So I started crossing the street. I was in the middle of it when my feet suddenly froze as I heard a loud rumbling sound. I looked at my left and saw a similar truck that hit Ji. It was still far but I was all frozen up, my eyes wide as flashes of what happened long ago came rushing through my eyes. My chest tightened, choking me. The driver started hitting the horn but I didn't budge. I can't feel my feet anymore, I can't feel my body, I can't feel anything. The truck grew larger and larger. No, I was wrong, it was nearing, but still, my feet won't move. Then, something solid hit me, pushing me away.
 
“What the hell are you thinking? Standing in the middle of the street with the green light on? I told you to wait in the car! How many times do I have to tell you to say put?! Why do you like making people worry about you? You never listen! You promised you'd listen and obey but you just disobeyed me again!”
 
“I. . . I was. . . that truck. That truck killed h-him. I. . .” I stuttered. My mind was still in a shock.
 
“Damn it, Dara! Take care of yourself, will you?!” he shouted and pulled me roughly to him. He hugged me so tight, like he was afraid I'll disappear anytime. The truck passed by, followed by a few vehicles. After a while, he let me go and pulled me back to his car and pushed me in.
 
“Stay put!” he firmly said. “There's a long queue of people because it's lunchtime so be patient and don't go wandering around.” He turned around to go back to the fastfood chain. But my coherent mind wasn't back yet.
 
 
Later. . .
 
“Don't spill on my car again.”
 
I looked up at the mirror and stuck my tongue out at him. And to my surprise, he smiled.
 
He smiled! Did he just smile?
 
Yes, he did!
 
8: 15 pm
 
I was lying on my bed for hours already but I still can't sleep. I clutched my chest, feeling that particular pain again. Ah, when will this end? Appa's death wasn't this painful. Seeing that similar truck hit home. I sighed. I haven't thanked Mr. Kwon yet but it was his fault. Instead of asking me if I'm okay, he shouted at me in the middle of the street. I frowned as I remembered what he said to me a while ago. He said I disobeyed him again for not listening and obeying him eventhough I made a promise. Aish! And since when did I make a promise to him, eh? He must be out of his mind already. Suddenly, I heard the doorbell rang. I ignored it. But then, it was persistent, so I stood up and opened it. “What are you doing here?” I asked the moment I saw Mr. Kwon in my doorsteps. “Did CL-roo send you here?” He didn't answer, instead he pushed the door open and walked pass through me. “Ya! I'm talking to you!”
 
“How are you feeling?” he asked, inspecting my apartment.
 
“Well, as you can see, I'm fine.”
 
He turned to face me. “You're not really a good liar, you know.”
 
 
JIYONG's POV
 
“Why the hell do you care, anyways?” she hissed.
 
“Well, it's because I. . .” I stopped and fell silent. “You ask too many questions.”
 
“Are you here to piss me off? 'Coz I'm not really in the mood right now. Maybe tomorrow-”
 
“You want me to come back tomorrow?” I smiled.
 
“Ya! I'm serious!” she snapped.
 
“I am too,” I answered. Her eyes squinted.
 
“Are you making fun of me?” she asked.
 
“Nope,” I lightly said.
 
“THEN WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?!?” she thundered.
 
“I'm really surprised your neighbors aren't complaining anything about how loud you are.” I saw her fists curled into tight balls. Not a good sign. “I just want to remind you that the cafe will be operating again tomorrow.”
 
“I already know that. Is that it? You can leave now.”
 
“You haven't answered my question yet,” I said.
 
“What question?”
 
“I asked how are you feeling and don't tell me you're fine. You didn't look fine to me a while ago.”
 
A pain crossed her eyes. “I really don't want to talk about this,” she slowly said, then, she suddenly burst out. “Why do you care anyways? Mind your own business, will you? Don't act like you're really concerned, I know you're not!”
 
My insides started trembling, trembling with pained longing that it started suffocating me. “Oh, God! I can't take this anymore!” I breathed as I advanced on her, pinning her against the closed door. I heard a dull thud as her body hit the door. Then, I crushed my lips against hers, thirsting for her. The thirst was so intense that I held on to her arms, feeling weak. I deepened the kiss, trying to replenish my thirst. But instead of getting replenished, I grew thirstier and thirstier than before. I felt her hands on my shoulders. I bit her lower lip lightly.
 
“Ji!” she gasped.
 
“Dara,” I gasped back.
 
Then, a shrill ringing filled my ears. She suddenly pushed me away and reached for her pocket. “Hello?” she answered a little breathlessly. “Oh, Tabi!” I stiffened. She moved out of the door and walked away from me. “Oh, no, don't say that. I wasn't doing anything so you didn't bother me in anyway,” I heard her say.
 
“Huh!” I mumbled darkly then opened the door, stepped out, banging it close behind me. I went to my car and banged my head on the steering wheel. I'm losing my head already. I shouldn't be doing this in the first place. But all of these weren't really supposed to happen.
 
I felt like my body was pounded by a huge hammer or something. Every part of my body was in pain. I tried to move but I can't. I forced my eyes to open. I found myself in an unfamiliar room. I tried recalling what happened. I tried recalling what could have brought me here. Flashes of what happened crossed my mind blurredly. But there's something I remembered so vividly. I remembered feeling surprise as I saw the vehicle coming my way. But then, I felt peace when I saw Dara's face. I was sure I was going to die but I remembered feeling happy knowing that the last thing I saw before I leave the earth was her face. I accepted death peacefully and wholeheartedly at that time. And I'm actually surprised that I'm still alive. I know I'm still alive since I can still feel pain. I heard footsteps. “Dara?” I called.
 
“She's not here,” I recognized Dami noona's voice.
 
“Where am I?” I asked
 
“We're in an apartment,” she answered.
 
“What are we doing here? What-?”
 
“NO! I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS! I'VE ALREADY DECIDED! THE KIDS ARE COMING WITH ME!” I heard Mom shouting.
 
“Can you keep your voice down? Jiyong's resting, he might wake up!”
 
“Good! I'd like to let him know what you have done and what you've been doing for the past years!” I saw Mom stormed in, Dad following her. “Oh, Jiyong, you're awake. Good.”
 
“Hyunmi, this isn't really the right time to-” Dad started.
 
“And when's the right time? When you're already married to that ?”
 
Dad's face reddened. “She's not a !”
 
“Yeah, defend your mistress in front of OUR children!” Mom laughed.
 
“What's going on?” I asked.
 
“Well, you great father here-”
 
“Mom, can we save this for other time? Jiyong needs rest,” noona interrupted.
 
“No! I want to know,” I said.
 
“Well, you see, your father has been keeping a mistress in all the years of our married life.”
 
It took a full minute for my brain to understand and process what Mom said. “No, that's impossible. Dad would never do that,” I said, shaking my head. “Dad would never-”
 
“Oh, he did already. And you'll be surprise to know who the woman is,” Mom continued.
 
“Who?” I asked.
 
“Ask your bestfrie-”
 
“Dara? No! Mom, that's totally insane. She would never-”
 
“No stupid! Your bestfriend's mother.”
 
SILENCE. . .
 
“No, that's not true,” I denied. “It couldn't be true!”
 
Mom sniggered. “Why don't you ask your father?”
 
I looked up at Dad. “Dad? Tell me it's not true.”
 
He heaved a big sigh. “It's true. Dara's mother was my first love and I was hers, too.”
 
“But Appa-”
 
Dad shook his head. “For years, we kept our relationship hidden because my bestfriend was also in love with her. We were happy eventhough there were times that we almost got ourselves busted. Then, your Mom came along. Hyunmi and Yuri got really close. Yuri introduced Hyunmi to me and Jinho. The four of us grew closer. I became more cautious with my actions because we now have two companions. One night, we were at a party, I got drunk,” he paused, “something happened and Hyunmi got pregnant. When Yuri found out about it, she broke up with me and told me to marry Hyunmi. She then gave Jinho a chance and the rest was history. I tried to act like I don't have feelings for her anymore. I tried to forget about my feelings for her but it won't go away. When Jinho died, Yuri got drunk. She said she felt guilty because she never really loved Jinho. What made her guiltier is that she told Jinho that she doesn't really love him because she was still in love with me. . .”
 
 
Later that evening. . .
 
I saw Mom approached my bed. She took a seat in the chair beside it.
 
“Jiyong, I need your help.”
 
~o~
 
I was secretly brought to the hospital in the middle of the night, wearing a disguise. I made sure that no one else was in suite 203 before I entered it. My heart squeezed when I saw the girl lying on the bed, looking peacefully asleep. The woman on the chair sitting beside it stirred awake.
 
“Jiyong! What are you-?”
 
“Don't touch me!” I gritted when I saw she was going to hug me. “Don't even dare go near me!”
 
She stopped, tears started to form in her eyes. “Jiyong, I-”
 
“I know the truth already. I can't believe you did that! I trusted you but you destroyed my family!”
 
“I'm sorry, but I tried. I tried to-”
 
“You disgust me!” I spat. She started crying.
 
“Pleas forgive me!” she sobbed. I shook my head.
 
“You don't deserve to be forgiven!”
 
“Jiyong-ah, I-”
 
“If you can still feel pity for my mother, let Dad go with us.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“We're leaving first thing in the morning.”
 
“Ji. Ji, don't!” another voice came through. Both of us froze. We both looked at Dara. But she was still unconscious. For a moment, I wanted to run to her, sit beside her, hold her hand and stay 'til she wakes up. For a moment, I wanted to be the first person she'll see when she open her eyes.
 
“Dara will be-”
 
“I don't want to have any connections to the both of you already. I'm going to act like I didn't know you and you have to act like I've died in that accident.”
 
“Dara won't take that easily.”
 
“Exactly. It's better that way. Forget that you know the Kwons and I'll also forget I've known you. If you can do that, then, I'll forgive you.”