Wedding Jitters

The Spiderweb of Love

 

The following day. . .
 
Dara went to open the door. She was surprised to see who was waiting for her outside.
 
“Annyeong, Dara-ah.”
 
Dara didn't answer.
 
“I guess you pretty know why I'm here?”
 
“No,” the girl answered. The woman sighed.
 
“Dara, this may come a bit late, but I would like to ask for your forgiveness about Jiyong's pretense. He has nothing to do with it. It was my fault and entirely mine.”
 
Dara remained silent.
 
“I understand if you won't forgive me now but-”
 
“I guess I also need to ask for forgiveness in behalf of Umma,” Dara said.
 
Mrs. Kwon shook her head. “I've already accepted the fact that your mother will always be my husband's true love.”
 
“I'm so sorry, Auntie,” she said and hugged the woman. Mrs. Kwon was obviously surprised because she froze for a moment, but after a while, she relaxed.
 
“Dara?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“Can you give my son a chance?”
 
It was Dara's turn to freeze. She pulled back from the hug awkwardly. “I've already forgiven the both of you but I'm afraid that's the furthest I can go.”
 
Hyunmi sighed, and then a weak smile curved her lips. “Sorry for asking too much. I guess he was right. Everything backfired. Karma really had its ways to come back, neh? I guess it's my turn to watch my son suffer.”
 
“Auntie, I-”
 
“Don't worry. I'm not taking this against you. But I just want you to know that Jiyong's feelings for you are true.”
 
 
DARA's POV
 
I sighed. It's the last day of dress rehearsal but the bestman never showed up even once. I asked Tabi why he had to take Ji as the bestman and his reasons were all the same: “because he's your bestfriend” he would say. Minhwan dropped by once. It was awkward, though. But I can't really blame him and besides, he confessed that he did develop a crush on me. So, I guess that's fine.
 
“Tabi, why don't we just get Minhwan as the bestman? I mean, he's your brother, it's only appropriate for-”
 
“I already asked Jiyong for that role. And besides, it’s in the invitation already.”
 
I pouted. “But he's been absent for the whole duration of the dress rehearsal. Maybe he's not planning to come-”
 
“Who said I'm not coming?” a voice behind me said. I felt my heart gave a little jump as his voice reached my ears like a caress. I felt all my nerve-endings coming to life. Why? Why am I feeling like this just by hearing his voice? Ghad! I'm secretly melting already. I turned around sharply. And there he was, standing so cutely in front of me. My right foot took step forward as I found myself wanting to be locked in his arms. But I stopped as I felt Tabi's arm on my shoulder. I went back to my senses.
 
“Where have you been?”
 
“Sorry for the inconvenience. Just got my hair cut off and I just dropped some emotional baggage off,” he shrugged nonchalantly.
 
“You could have informed us. I was already planning to replace you,” I snapped.
 
“I already apologize, didn't I? And I'm already here. Stop the fuss already. And don't worry, Sandara, I'm not going to ruin YOUR SPECIAL DAY. I'm your BESTFRIEND after all,” he said every word with sarcasm.
 
“Jingyo oppa! Oh, glad you're finally here!”
 
“Oh, hi Chaerin!” Ji greeted CL and put his arm on her shoulders casually, like it's the most natural thing in the world. What the hell was that? I saw him turned his head towards her and for a moment, I thought he was going to kiss CL-roo in front of me. But then, he just sniffed her hair. “You smell good.”
 
I curled my fists into tight balls. “We should start rehearsing.”
 
 
Later. . .
 
I was in the church's yard. I love how the air smells here, not polluted. I excused myself a while ago, saying that I needed to drink water. Well, I was thirsty at that time but in truth, I also wanted to be alone. I sighed then took another gulp from the bottled water. Out of nowhere, I started hearing giggles.
 
“That was so funny, Oppa!”
 
I froze, recognizing CL's voice. Then, a phone rang.
 
“Oh, wait. I have to answer this,” I heard CL said. “Hello? Neh. . .”
 
Silence.
 
I guess they went back inside. Good thing they didn't really come out or they could have seen me. I sighed. “I'm doing the right thing,” I whispered.
 
“You're talking to yourself again.”
 
I jumped in my seat. I quickly stood up and faced him. “I was. . .” I stuttered.
 
“I really don't understand why you have to fuss over my absence. I mean, I just stood there beside the groom the whole dress rehearsal. I don't really need to practice standing, you know. I think I'm not THAT stupid.”
 
“Stop that!” I lowly said.
 
As if he didn't hear it, he just continued, “but of course, it's YOUR BIG DAY, I suppose you want EVERYTHING to be perfect.”
 
“Stop that!” I said again.
 
“Oh, I forgot to congratulate you. Well, congratulations! You must be SOO ECSTATIC because you're finally tying the knot with YOUR TABI. Huh! Who would've thought you'd end up with your so-called Gorilla before, eh?”
 
“I said stop that!”
 
“It must be destiny, don't you think. I mean, you've been separated long from him but still, you'll end up with him. How touching!”
 
“I SAID STOP THAT!!!” I shouted.
 
“Stop what?” he innocently asked.
 
“Stop using that sarcastic tone to me!”
 
“Oh, did I sound sarcastic to you, my dear bestfriend?” chuckles, “mianhe. But why are you so snappy? Oh, must be the wedding jitters, eh?”
 
“It's useless talking to you!” I snapped.
 
“Jeez, temper,” he said as he slowly walked towards me. He snorted as he passed by me. I whirled around and saw him lighting a cigarette. A fire ignited inside me. I marched angrily towards him and grabbed the cigarette and threw it to the ground.
 
“Since when did you learn how to smoke?!” I thundered. He just snorted and took another stick from the pack with him. It angers me to see him smoking so I grabbed the pack from him and threw it to the ground, stepping on it furiously. "What's happening to you?"
 
“I thought you said it's useless talking to me? If you find it useless, then I'm sorry. I should have known better. I'm going now, enjoy your time alone. And oh, thanks for the cigarette.”
 
He started walking away from me. I wanted to stop him. Moreover, I wanted him to stop me.
 
But I didn't do anything. Congratulations to me! I've lost my bestfriend for real this time. I sat again, feeling my knees starting to tremble. I remembered the time when I saw him in the office with Dami unnie. I felt anger instead of relief. Anger because I realized that he lied to me. Ji was probably right about my brain not listening to my heart because when I didn't feel relief, it only means that I knew he was alive all along but I just denied it. A part of me, the logical side, tried to convince me that he was dead because at that time, I can't find any sane and logical reason or excuse as to why he had to leave me. And Bom unnie's right, too. History kept on repeating itself when it comes to me. Seeing Ji flirting with CL-roo a while ago ripped my heart. Watching him walk away from me makes me wanna shout at him to not leave me.
 
I clutched my chest, trying to feel my heart. It's weird how I always feel so alive, hear my heartbeat loudly everytime he's around. But it's weirder how I feel so empty when he's not around. If I could at least save our friendship. I hugged myself as a soft breeze passed by me. For a moment, I imagined I was locked in Ji's arms. I can't help but smile.
 
“Dara?” I heard Tabi calling me. I turned around.
 
“Hey,” I smiled.
 
“I was wondering what's taking you so long,” he said as he slowly approached me.
 
“Sorry, I enjoyed the atmosphere here,” I chuckled. He chuckled back then hugged me.
 
But maybe I was right, too. Maybe this was what's meant to be: me in Tabi's arms. I know I can't turn around now, I already put one foot forward. And maybe Ji was right too, maybe me and Tabi were really destined for each other.
 
“I love you,” he whispered.
 
“I know.”
 
~o~
 
I looked at myself in the mirror. I must say, I look stunning. Thanks to the beauty of my wedding dress and the make up, I guess.
 
“Wow, unnie! You look stunning!” my bridesmaid CL said as she entered the room. I smiled at her.
 
“And so are you,” I said.
 
Then, Minzy and Bom unnie entered.
 
“Doesn't she look stunning?” CL turned to them.
 
“I must say, you are stunning Ssantokki,” Bom unnie quietly said.
 
“Wow, unnie, you're so beautiful!” Minzy said, hugging me.
 
“Thanks,” I mumbled as CL joined Minzy in locking me in their arms. I looked at Bom unnie who remained standing in her spot. She eyed me carefully then shook her head then went out. Unnie's been. . . strange lately. Well, not that she's not strange, but stranger than usual. She's been looking at me like I did something wrong or somewhat like that and she doesn't talk to me that much anymore.
 
“Oh, well, enough of this,” CL-roo said, pulling out from the hug, getting teary-eyed. “Ah, I can't believe you're getting married already!” she added.
 
“Yeah, I can't quite believe it, either.”
 
A knock was heard. Minzy and CL-roo looked at the door. When it opened, I saw Umma with Auntie Hyunmi and Mrs. Lee. “Wow! You're so beautiful!” Mrs. Lee said.
 
“Yes, you are Dara. Ah, I remembered my wedding day. I was beautiful with my-”
 
“Auntie,” CL-roo chuckled.
 
“Oh, sorry.”
 
“Hi baby. You look stunning,” Umma said. I fell silent, trying to control my emotions. CL must have noticed it, because she suddenly shoo everyone away, including herself. I know she's just giving me and my mother privacy.
 
“Thanks,” I said the moment everybody else was out.
 
“I can't believe you're getting married already. It seemed like yesterday when I used to change your diapers. . .” her voice broke and she started crying.
 
“Ya! Why are you crying? This is MY WEDDING, not MY FUNERAL,” I chuckled awkwardly.
 
“It's. . .i-it's just that we were separated for a long time and now, you're going to be separated from me forever!” she sobbed.
 
“Umma!” I exclaimed. “I'm still going to visit you, you know!”
 
She heaved a big sigh then wiped her tears. She caressed my cheek. “My baby girl's all grown up,” she said.
 
I just smiled in response.
 
“Seunghyun is a nice man,” she said.
 
I smiled again. “I know. That's why there's no need for you to worry about me. I'm in good hands.”
 
Another knock came. A head peered through it. “We need to get going. Everyone's here already.”
 
I nodded then turned to Umma. “Can you give me a second? I just need to fix something,” I said. She looked at me carefully then slowly nodded. When she was out of the room, I looked at myself in the mirror, and then smiled.
 
After a while, I went to the door. “I'm ready,” I said.