Ugly Truth

The Spiderweb of Love

 

Thursday - 1:59 am
 
Dara turned over the bed. She sighed impatiently then stood up, feeling for her slippers. Without opening the lights, she went down the kitchen and drank a glass of water. She looked up at the digital clock at the refrigerator. It reads 2:00 am. She needs to think things over. With that thought in mind, she let her feet lead the way. The next thing she knew, she found herself in the garden. She slowly walked to the simple mini-garden set and took a seat, facing the vast darkness in front of her.
 
The soft chirping of the insects was somewhat calming while the soft breeze was somewhat soothing. She took the liberty of thinking things over. She needs to figure out her feelings for TOP. She frowned. She was surprised of how her mind was running. In the first place, “figuring her feelings for TOP” shouldn't have crossed her mind. TOP was her first boyfriend and she never had any after that. So why was she thinking about this?
 
Well, maybe there's this some weird feeling that someone's poking her and combined with uneasiness. But, she did feel a rush of emotions when she saw him at the beach. First was fear, followed by pity, guilt, longing, care and yes, even love. And the familiar sensation his arms brought her was as strong as before. The reassurance was still there as well as the feeling of being vulnerable in front of him. But again, why is she feeling that she forgot something? Without finding any answer, she groaned out loud. “Ugh!”
 
“Talking to yourself is a sign of mental disorder, you know.”
 
 
JIYONG's POV
 
I saw her clutched her chest in shock and surprise as her eyes went wide as a saucer. I stepped out of the shadows.
 
“Ya! You almost scared me to death! What the hell are you doing there in the dark? How long have you been there? And why are you still up?” she ranted, making me chuckle. I slowly walked towards her and occupied the chair opposite her.
 
“Easy with the questions,” I chuckled again, and then shrugged. “Obviously, I can't sleep. How about you? What are you doing here?”
 
“Can't sleep either,” she answered.
 
“So,” I stalled, “TOP hyung's your boyfriend, huh? I gotta say, I didn't know you got some taste,” I said in a teasing tone, though my insides were nowhere near in teasing mode. She looked at me suspiciously.
 
“Are you getting gay?” she asked. I looked at her with disbelief then laughed out loud.
 
“Of course not!” I answered.
 
“Good,” she answered, and then smiled a little. “Neh, Tabi's beautiful. He's actually one of the most beautiful things that happened in my life,” she quietly said. I felt the air was knocked out of me. I don't know which caused it: either she didn't reject the word 'boyfriend' or what she just said or because she sounded so. . . different.
 
“You sound like a lot of ugly things happened to you,” I faked a chuckle. She looked up at me. I don't know what hurts more: the fact that I can't and never be with her or the look in her eyes that say she's not the little rabbit I've known before. The look in her eyes was somewhat familiar but foreign. It's like I'm looking into a stranger's eyes. There it was in her eyes, the kind of look that was only caused by a lot hardship, suffering and painful things that happened in her life. Yes, there's still the sadness in her but now it's mixed with a gentle toughness.
 
Ghad, what did life do to her? Moreover, what have I done?
 
“Everyone experiences things like that,” she said, bringing me back to my senses. “I'm pretty sure you did, too.”
 
I didn't answer. Time passed but both of us remained silent.
 
“Do you love her?” she suddenly asked, taking me by surprise.
 
“Huh?” I blankly asked back.
 
“I asked if you love CL-roo”
 
I opened my mouth then closed it again. A small smile curved my lips. “Of course I do,” I whispered.
 
She nodded quietly, eyes cast down. She took a deep breath then looked at me cheerfully. “I'm happy to hear that. And because of that, you won't be having problems with me anymore. I'll even help you with her, keke. Even give her my approval,” she laughed.
 
“Why?”
 
“Why what? CL-roo likes you and you love her.”
 
“I thought you didn't like me for her?”
 
“I guess I misjudged you,” she shrugged. “Anyways, I'm going to sleep now. Goodbam!”
 
She stood up and started walking away from me. I stood up, and before I can stop myself, I walked after her and grabbed her arm, turning her to face me. “Why is it too easy for you?” I asked through gritted teeth.
 
“What are you talking about?” she asked in bewilderment.
 
My chest heaved up and down from controlled anger. “Why is it too easy for you to change your mind just like that? First, you'd go lying to Chaerin about me then now you're saying you're going to help me with her. Well, FYI, I don't need your help!”
 
I let go of her arm a bit forcefully than I intended then stalked away. Without noticing it, I suddenly found myself in my room. I dropped myself in the bed in a sitting position and frustratedly pulled my hair.
 
 
DARA's POV
 
7: 15 am
 
I heard a soft knock and someone calling my name. I groaned. It felt like I've only closed my eyes. But the knock was persistent that it was making my head throb. I stood up and and walked towards the door. I opened it.
 
“Get dressed,” Tabi said.
 
“Why?” I asked.
 
“We're going somewhere.”
 
“But-”
 
“I'll wait for you outside.”
 
“Where are we go-?”
 
He was already gone.
 
As much as I wanted to sleep some more, I found myself taking a shower, then, I chose clothes randomly and put them on. I walked down the stairs, finding the house empty. I guess the others were still sleeping. I wonder what Tabi's up to now. Waking me up this early? Aish!
 
I shivered a little as I stepped outside. I hugged myself instinctively and looked for Tabi. I saw him not too far from where I was, leaning on a MOTORBIKE. My eyes grew wide as I ran up to him. “Omo! Is that. . . ?! It's the same! It's your bike! I can't believe it's still alive!” I exclaimed as I neared him.
 
“I took it a while ago from Mr. Jang's house where we checked in yesterday.”
 
“It still looks the same, like nothing has changed!”
 
“I really take good care of what I own,” he quietly said, looking at me intently. I looked down then blushed.
 
“So, where are we going? Are we going to ride this little thing? It's been a while since I rode one,” I ranted, covering up my blush. He smiled the kind of smile that makes me wanna stare at him forever.
 
“Wanna take this baby for a drive?” he asked cheekily.
 
“Hell I do!” I grinned and ran my fingers over the bike, loving the feel of it in my fingers. It's been a while, a very long time. But then, I turned sober. “I don't think I can still drive, as in drive.”
 
He chuckled. “I'll be behind you.”
 
I held my hand up to him, palm up. “Keys please.”
 
He laughed at that. The sound of it was so richfully enticing that it makes me wanna laugh, too. “Well, here it is my lady,” he curtsied, bowing to me like he's some kind of a knight and I'm a royalty. “But before anything else,” he stalled, pulled out a helmet that I haven't noticed before and put it on me gently. “There you go,” he said and pulled a helmet of his own.
 
“Pfft!” I pouted.
 
“Safety precautions,” he said.
 
“Yeah, yeah. Let's get going already.” I saw him shook his head as he chuckled lightly. I excitedly mounted the bike, positioning myself comfortably. “You better hold on if you don't want to fall,” I arrogantly said.
 
 
Later. . .
 
“Dara,” Tabi impatiently said behind me.
 
“What?” I nervously asked.
 
“It's been what, thirty minutes already? But we haven't even move more than ten inches.”
 
“Driving in a not-so-smooth road is not that easy after all. Wait 'til we get to the highway.”
 
Okay, that was a lie. The truth is, I'm a bit nervous. I haven't done this for a long time. Aish! What's happening to me? I'm not usually this coward.
 
“You don't have to be afraid. I'm just here,” he whispered in a comforting voice. It was as if he read my mind. Then, he changed tone. “And you told me to hold on tight, tsk. Come on, where did all of your courage go, Park? You're not getting coward are you? Tsk, I can't believe you're becoming soft,” he taunted.
 
“Shut up, Gorilla!” I said in a not-really-angry tone.
 
He chuckled low. “You're getting boring,” he sniggered. With that, I hit the accelerator and off we go.
 
 
A while later. . .
 
Tabi was chuckling nonstop beside me. Both of us were currently sitting on the sand, facing the sea. “What's so funny?” I snapped.
 
“You are so adorable,” he chuckled.
 
My eyes squinted at him. “Are you making fun of me?”
 
“Of course not!” he answered.
 
“Then stop chuckling. It's getting on my nerves already.”
 
“Ah, always the impatient one, aren't you, Park?”
 
I turned to him with a dark smile. “And you're always the teasing one, aren't you? You ugly Gorilla!”
 
He breathes an exclamation, a mixture of amusement and disbelief in his face. “What did you say again?” he asked. I slowly stood up, preparing myself to run, ifever I need to.
 
“I said you are such an ugly gorilla,” I repeated.
 
“Oh, really?” a playful smirk appeared on his face. It was my cue to start taking steps backward. He pushed himself up.
 
“You heard me alright,” I said.
 
“If you're planning to take your words back, now's your chance,” he said, an evil smile starting to curve his lips. I thought for a while.
 
“Ahm,” I paused, “no,” I finished.
 
“Is that so?”
 
“Neh!” I cheerfully answered.
 
“I have no choice then.”
 
I turned to run away from him. We chased each other in circles for a while, but then, he caught me, and carried me to the water. Without warning, he dropped me in the water. I felt myself shiver as the water freezingly bit into my skin. But I didn't mind. I haven't had fun for a while. And I am in the middle of a challenge, of a dare, of a battle. I quickly resurfaced and splashed water against him. And he did the same.
 
I started laughing. It felt so good to really laugh out like this, laugh out freely like this. It felt exactly just like the old times. . .
 
I don't know how long we played in the water but I suddenly felt hungry. “Ya! Ya! Stop!” I shouted.
 
“Giving up already, Park?”
 
"No! I'm hungry. I haven't eaten breakfast yet since you pulled me up so early.”
 
“Oh, you're right,” he chuckled. “Let's get back to the resthouse then.”
 
“No! I don't want to eat there. Let's go eat somewhere in town. Your treat, okay?”
 
“Yeah, right. My treat. But we're wet. You're gonna be sick,” he frowned.
 
“Aish! Where's your sense of adventure, Gorilla? Getting coward, are you?”
 
He looked at me for a while, and then shook his head in defeat.
 
“I'm going to drive,” I said, then laughed out loud as I heard him groaned.
 
We went to his bike. He pulled the jacket that he left there a while ago and put it on me. “You are so stubborn, you know?”
 
“I know,” I rolled my eyes.
 
“Why don't we dry our clothes first?” he asked.
 
“And what? Give you the privilege to peek at my body? No way! And besides, it'll dry along the way.”
 
“I guess you really are hungry. Your brain's not functioning already.”
 
 
CL's POV
 
8: 00 am
 
I was yawning when I went down. I found the others preparing foods in the table. They all greeted me except Seungri. I found this really weird. I went to the kitchen to check up on Jingyo oppa. But he was not the one cooking, it was Hyun Seung.
 
“Ahm, hi!” I greeted.
 
“Oh, hi!” he greeted back.
 
“Have you seen Jiyong oppa?” I asked.
 
“No, I haven't,” he answered.
 
“Oh, thanks,” I mumbled.
 
“You're welcome. And oh, I hope you don't mind if I trespassed the kitchen. The guys were getting hungry.”
 
“Oh, no, that's fine,” I blankly answered, then went to Jingyo oppa's room. I knocked, and then knocked again. But no one answered. I turned the knob. Upon finding it unlocked, I pushed the door open. And there he was, deeply asleep. I smiled while staring at him. Slowly, I walked towards the bed and sat on the edge of it, pushing some hair off his face. Then, I pulled the blanket to cover him up properly. I looked at his face again when he suddenly moved, his head falling off the pillow. I slowly put his head back on it when I noticed a white something edging from the pillow. Frowning and due to curiosity, I raised the pillow a little and saw a few papers under it. I shook my head, thinking that the papers were probably related to work, the cafe. I can't believe he brought work here. He's supposed to be on a vacation. That's probably why he's still asleep; he worked all night.
 
I knelt down and tried retrieving the papers. After a few tries of pulling them, I was able to retrieve them. I looked at the first page. What I saw there made my head snap back at him. He was still fast asleep. Then, I started flicking through the papers.
 
I quickly returned them after I was through and ran to my room, locking the door behind me. I took my phone and went to scroll on my contact list. When I found who I needed, I pressed the call button.
 
“Hello?” the person on the other line answered.
 
“Unnie! How are you?” I greeted, stalling.
 
“I'm fine, I'm fine. A bit busy, but totally used to it. How about you?”
 
We talked for a while, chatted. Then, I finally went to my real motive, making sure she won't notice. After that, I ended the call. I scrolled again and pressed the call button for the second time.
 
“I've got work for you,” I said.