Overwhelming Fear

The Spiderweb of Love

 

I hissed as I felt his lips moved down to my neck. I was about to pull his head up to bring his lips back to mine when I suddenly sneezed. He stopped and pulled back, gazing at me in wonder.
 
“Still as fragile as before,” he mumbled. “Come, let's change your wet clothes,” he said, pulling me by the hand. The moment we were out of the pool, he turned his back to me and knelt to the ground. I smiled. I know what he wanted me to do, so I complied. It's been a while since my last piggyback.
 
“I'm ready,” I said. He secured me on his back before standing up.
 
“Don't you dare sleep on me or I'll change your clothes myself,” he said, making me chuckle. He quietly carried me to his room. He put me down on the floor and went to his closet. He pulled some clothes out then threw it to me. “The bathroom's there,” he pointed to the left side. I nodded. I went to the bathroom and started removing my wet clothes. I saw a towel in the rack so I took the liberty of drying myself. I chuckled as I smelled Ji's scent on the towel, hehe. After drying myself, I took the clothes Ji gave me. I saw a boxer, a jeans and a shirt. Well, since we're almost the same body built, there's no problem with the size BUT I also need a bra. Oh well, looks like I don't really have a choice, do I? I know Ji's been quite used to seeing me like almost . And he did see me before, but we were still kids that time but now, there's a difference already. I stepped out of the bathroom with my arms awkwardly covering my chest. I saw Ji was on his jeans already but still SHIRTLESS. Ah, why does he have to look so y? I sneezed again. He looked up, a lazy smile curving his y, cute lips. Then, he frowned.
 
“Oh,” he mumbled as he went to his closet again. He took out a hoodie and threw it to me. I quickly put it on me and zipped it up.
 
“Thanks,” I mumbled back.
 
He snorted. “Funny how everything I own fits you.”
 
“You should be honored then,” I said.
 
“Conceited little rabbit,” he laughed as he slowly walked towards me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I saw his face getting nearer.
 
“I can't remember giving my permission to let the mistress' daughter in my house.”
 
I whipped around and saw Auntie, glaring at me. I heard Ji's sharp intake of breath. “Mom! Don't call her that!”
 
“Why, is it so wrong to tell the truth?” she sneered.
 
“Mom!” Ji burst out again, stepping in front of me, as if shielding me from Auntie. Seeing this, Auntie squinted her eyes then lifted her gaze to mine.
 
“You are just like your mother!”
 
“Shut up!” Ji snapped.
 
I grabbed his arm. “It's okay. I already know the truth. Umma told me,” I said. Ji turned his head sharply to mine that I feared he broke his neck along the process. He looked so worried, alarmed and. . . frightened. He looked at me with fear in his eyes, like he's afraid I would fall to pieces anytime. So, Dami unnie was right. I smiled gently at him then turned to Auntie. “I know Umma made a mistake but I don't think you should blame her solely. But I apologize for what happened.”
 
Auntie laughed. “Apologize?! A doesn't deserve to be forgiven!”
 
“Jiyong, don't,” another voice entered. I was looking at Auntie intently that I didn't notice what Ji was about to do. Dami unnie entered the room with the butler behind her. Unnie gave Ji a pleading look then turned to me. “Dara, I hope you don't mind if I ask you to give us some. . . family quality time.”
 
I nodded my head slowly then turned to Ji. I gave him a reassuring smile. And before I could stop myself, I tiptoed and kissed him on the lips, not minding that we have an audience. Hey, you can't really blame me, can you? I can't help it, okay? “It's okay,” I whispered as I pulled back.
 
“Just as I thought. Like mother, like daughter. Always stealing from their friends. What do you think would Chaerin feel if she sees you kissing the man she loves?”
 
I froze, feeling the fear and guilt gripped my body like chains.
 
“Mom! That's enough!” Ji shouted.
 
“Mister Shin, please drive Dara home,” Dami unnie said.
 
“Yes, Madam.”
 
I can't move. I just stared at Auntie with fear. I can't believe I've forgotten about CL-roo! I knew this was too good to be true. What kind of a friend am I? Eventhough I was all frozen up, I felt Ji's hands on my arms. My conscience made me jerk away from him. Then, Mister Shin grabbed my arm gently and led me out of the room. We were already a few good meters away but I was still not myself. Then, I started hearing shouts and screams, especially unnie's voice.
 
“. . . .YOU'RE HURTING THREE PEOPLE IN THE PROCESS!”
 
“DO YOU CONSIDER MY FEELINGS FOR THIS? I WAS HURT AND HUMILIATED, TOO!”
 
“ARE YOU THAT SELFISH THAT YOU ONLY CONSIDER WHAT YOU FEEL? WHAT ABOUT JIYONG'S FEELINGS?!”
 
There was a moment of silence.
 
“. . . . . . . . . . .DAD WAS WAY BETTER THAN YOU! AT LEAST HE KNOWS HOW HIS SON FEELS!!”
 
I started trembling. I always cause something like this. Appa's death, Ji's accident and now, I'm starting to rip the Kwons further apart. Everyone I love and know always gets into touble because of me. I think I'm cursed. No one should be associated with me.
 
“Miss Park?”
 
I snapped out my reverie and looked up. I didn't notice we were already in the car. Mister Shin smiled apologetically. “Can you tell me your address?”
 
I told him my address and off we go.
 
 
Later. . .
 
“Thank you, Mister Shin,” I bowed as I stepped out of the car. The older man bowed back and returned to the car. The moment the car was out of sight, I turned around, heading towards my apartment when a shadow suddenly stepped forward.
 
“Mrs. Lee!” I exclaimed, surprised.
 
“I know the time's inconvenient but can I have a minute or two?”
 
“Of course. Wait, I'll just-”
 
“Oh, no. If it's okay with you, let's just talk here. This won't take long.”
 
“O-kay,” I slowly answered, frowning a little. She sighed heavily.
 
“Did you know that my husband already named the cafe yours?”
 
My eyes widen. “I didn't. . . . I can't accept that!” I burst out. She chuckled lightly.
 
“I knew you'd say that. Chaerin actually suggested it since she's not interested with it. Chaerin adores you, you know. I'm actually grateful she met you. Eversince you two became friends, she stopped her rebellious acts and started mingling with people,” sighs, “you should understand that I don't like talking to you about this because I already see you as a daughter, so does my husband.”
 
My frown deepened. I don't know where this is heading.
 
“Dara, for the first time, I'm going to ask a favor from you,” she said.
 
“What is it?” I asked.
 
“About Chaerin and Jiyong. Hyunmi mentioned that you've been-”
 
“I understand,” I cut off. She looked at me with pleading eyes.
 
“Dara, please don't take this against me. I love Chaerin like I love you. But I don't want my daughter to-”
 
“Don't worry, I'm not taking this against you. I was just trying to say that I understood what you're asking me to do.”
 
She suddenly hugged me. “I'm sorry, Dara and thank you for understanding.”
 
“It's nothing. Besides, you've done too much for me already,” I said. I chuckled a little then pulled back. Her chuckle was now replaced by worry.
 
“I hope this won't go out. I don't want my husband and Chaerin to know that we had this talk.”
 
“It won't go out,” I smiled.
 
 
CL's POV
 
Dara unnie had been ignoring my calls and it's starting to piss me off. I've dropped by the apartment the other day, too but she wasn't there. The others told me that the last time they saw unnie was at the cafe, running. I sighed. Well, I shouldn't be surprised, should I? I mean, I know exactly what happened. Like for a fact that Dami unnie dropped by the cafe since I asked her to. I love Dara unnie but I also love Jingyo oppa. After seeing those sketches under oppa's pillow, I got suspicious so I decided to have someone investigate. It was after Bommie unnie's birthday, when oppa was driving when the “investigator” called and asked to meet up. And so I did.
 
After listening to the person I hired, my suspicion about oppa and unnie's bestfriend was confirmed. Plus, I learned a lot of the history of the Parks and Kwons. But for the real reason behind oppa's pretense remains a mystery. Was it for revenge?
 
I sighed. No matter what the reason is, it still won't solve my dilemma. I've noticed that there's something between the two. But I tried to deny it and to be blind about it. Friendship or love? The choices sounded so simple but why is it so hard to choose? I'm not really selfish, but I RARELY want something or someone. And the moment I do want something, I tend to be possessive.
 
My phone suddenly beeped. I frowned. It's already 1:30 in the morning. Who would send me a message at this time? I opened the message and saw an unknown number.
 
It says: ya! Ugly loser! Stil up?
 
What the?!? My eyes turned into tiny slits. I think I know who the sender is.
 
How'd you get my number? And how dare you call me loser? I nvr lost in any bets we had! I sent back.
 
Haha! Got ur number from Dara noona's fon. She left it with TOP hyung. And oh, won't col u loser anymor. But UGLY would be fyn, neh?
 
Hu r u calling ugly?!
 
U! haha
 
~o~
 
BOM's POV
 
I shook my head. I find it stupid for Dara to use a key to open her door when she could just easily punch the code. Well, she's really hard to decipher, so no surprise there. I entered a code diligently and voila, the door opened. Ha! Of course it would open, why should it not, eh? I entered the apartment and went straight into her room. Jeez, just as I thought, she looks horrible! I looked around and just as I expected, the place is a mess! I started clearing it all up. I know for a fact why Dara has been hiding in this apartment. I really don't want to bother her since I know she wanted to be left alone but the others were starting to get worried and I just can’t go telling them what I know, can I? Besides, Dara is pretty much involved in what will happen in MY FUTURE so I better get things straight with her. Ugh! If only she's easy to read, I won't even be worried for my future, too! But then, it's starting to get blurry, actually, EVERYTHING is starting to get blurry, even the others. Aish! Yes, for someone as little as Dara, some future might change because of her. Weird, huh? Tell me about it. Me, who have witnessed more than I should, I sighed. I pity Ssantokki, though. She's been underestimating her strength. She's stronger than she thought. Actually, she's stronger than any of us. But well, like I said, she's pretty hard to decipher. Even Auntie Mi had a hard time with her. Auntie said Dara's one of a kind, like she's the first person under the “undecipherable”, like she's from a different race of some sort. Well, maybe she was really a rabbit or a cat in her past lives. Animals are pretty hard to read, you see. Anyways, enough of that.
 
I marched to the mini-refrigerator in the room and took a bottle of cold water. I went back to Dara's bed, opened the bottle and poured the contents on her face. She jerked awake.
 
“Unnie! What-?”
 
“Have you looked into the mirror lately? You look horrible! And I know you don't care but jeez, stop sulking, will you?”
 
“What are you doing here, unnie?”
 
“The Lees will be holding a party this weekend for the hotel. Just like to inform you that you're invited. And don't you dare tell me you won't come because if you don't show your horrible face there, you've got me to answer, got that?” I ranted. Without waiting for her to speak, I started walking away. But I stopped as something flashed in my eyes. Worry and fear kicked my chest. I turned back to her.
 
“Oh, don't make decisions impulsively,” I said. I don't like this. I've NEVER felt fear or scared before simply because I usually know what will happen. But right now, the fear is so overwhelming that I started doubting myself.