Blackout

The Spiderweb of Love

 

DARA’s POV
 
Black waters. . .
 
Blindling light. . .
 
Black waters. . .
 
I see nothing but black waters and a blinding light. I can’t move. My eyes felt heavy. My hands were tied at my side. I’m having difficulty in breathing. I can hear hushed voices around me but why can’t I see them?
 
~o~
 
I’m becoming aware of my surroundings. I’m starting to hear the voices clearer; able to recognize to whom they belonged. I heard the gang’s worried voices for a few times. I also heard Umma and Tabi. I can’t help but feel uneasy the whole time as I didn’t hear the voice I’m looking for. Everytime I hear voices, I always look for that certain voice. But I haven’t heard it so far. Now, where is that Kwon Jiyong?
 
My eyes suddenly snapped open.
 
“Dara! You’re awake!”
 
“Where is he?” I asked Umma.
 
“Oh, TOP just went home to change clothes. Ah, that kid. He’s been here almost 24/7, watching you. I told him you wouldn’t like it if he smells bad once you’re awake, so. . . . he should be here any minute now,” Umma said, glancing at the door hopefully.
 
“Umma, where’s Ji? I like to see him.”
 
“How are you feeling? Maybe I should call the nurse to-“
 
“Umma, I’m perfectly fine. Why aren’t you answering me? Where is Ji?”
 
“H-he’s. . . He was. . .”
 
“Umma!”
 
Umma dropped herself on the chair weakly and started crying.
 
“H-he’s not here anymore, Dara.”
 
“What do you mean he’s not here?”
 
Umma just shook her head.
 
“No. I bet you he’s just sleeping. That’s why I need to know where he is. I know how to wake him up.”
 
Umma cried harder. “He was cremated three days ago.”
 
Eh? When did Umma learn how to throw a joke?
 
“Umma, you’re not really a good joker like me, you know,” I said, chuckling. But Umma just looked at me. Then, I started laughing.
 
“Okay, okay. It’s funny. But seriously, where is he?”
 
“The Kwons left after Jiyong’s cremation.”
 
“Umma, stop joking. It’s not funny anymore.”
 
“Jiyong’s gone,” a deep voice suddenly emerged. I looked up and saw Tabi.
 
“That’s not true!” I gasped breathlessly.
 
“It’s true.”
 
“NO! He’s not dead!” I denied.
 
“He is! He’s gone! He’s not coming back anymore! He left you already! He is DEA-”
 
“STOP! No, no, no! Stop! I don’t want to hear your lies anymore!” I said, covering my ears.
 
“Your bestfriend is gone, Dara.”
 
“NO!” I screamed, starting to pull the tubes off me. I felt Tabi’s strong hands trying to stop me.
 
“I’ll call the nurse,” I heard Umma’s panicked voice.
 
 
 
 
 
TOP’s POV
 
And so, the world continued to revolve, with her being left behind. Unintentionally, she cut herself off from everything, including me. I’ve been visiting her for the past week. The doctor said she needs rest for a week or so but they did not give assurance as to when Dara will be back to normal, it all depends on how she’ll be able to cope up, they said.
 
She’s not talking.
 
She’s not sleeping.
 
She’s not eating.
 
She was brought back to the hospital.
 
I felt like my purpose in life has been stolen. Watching her torture herself breaks me apart. I wanted to blame Jiyong for what he’s causing her right now, but of course I can’t since he’s gone already. I know it will take TIME for her to recover. I guess all I can do right now is to be always there for her, to never leave her. That’s the best I could do.
 
 
A month passed. . .
 
Dara has been in and out of the hospital and her school records are getting bad. I decided to drop by her house an hour before her first class starts. I pressed the buzzer and was invited in by her mother.
 
“She’s in her room,” she informed me. I went to Dara’s room. I saw her fast asleep in the bed. It’s the first time I stepped into her bedroom. I let my eyes roam around. I saw a queue of photo frames. I slowly walked towards it and saw more than a dozen framed photos of Dara and Jiyong together. They’ve really come a long way.
 
 
DARA’s POV
 
I opened my eyes as I felt a presence in my room. “Ji?” I called.
 
“No,” a deep voice answered. I pushed myself up and looked at him. “Do you still have plans to go to school?” Tabi asked.
 
“Oh! What time is it?”
 
“9:30.”
 
“Oh, I’m already late. I wonder why Ji didn’t wake me up. Oh, I forgot! He’s on vacation, right? I guess I’ll just skip school today. What are you doing here anyway?” I asked.
 
“Visiting you,” he quietly said.
 
“Err, are we going out? I think we should. Wait, I’ll just take a shower and get dressed”.
 
I stood up and went to my closet to prepare my clothes. Then I suddenly frowned.
 
“Where the hell did all the boxers go?” I loudly asked. “Oh! I forgot I returned them. Hehe. I’ll just borrow them again once Ji return from his vacation.”
 
 
Another month passed. . .
 
I frowned. What’s taking Ji so long? He would be dropped from school if he won’t return home at once. I wonder where he went for a vacation. I can’t contact him and he’s not contacting me either. Huh! He should bring a lot of goodies for me once he gets back.
 
Oh! Maybe HE is back and he’s just hiding from me, eh? With that thought, I quickly went to the Kwons’ apartment. I pressed the buzzer. No one answered.
 
I pressed the buzzer again.
 
Still, no answer.
 
I pressed it over and over again. I was starting to get impatient so I started knocking and calling Ji. But still, no answer. So I went on pounding and kicking the door.
 
“Kwon Jiyong! It’s not funny anymore! Open this door now!”
 
“Ya! G-dragon! Come out now!”
 
Ugh! What’s taking him so long?
 
“G-DRAGON! IF YOU’RE NOT COMING OUT, I’M GONNA BREAK THIS DOOR!”
 
No answer.
 
“YOU KNOW WHAT I’M CAPABLE OF! DO YOU WANT TO EARN A DOZEN OF BRUISES AGAIN?”
 
No answer.
 
Maybe I should change strategy? Try a different approach?
 
“Ji!” I called gently. “Come out now!”
 
No answer.
 
“Ji, come out!”
 
Nothing but silence.
 
“Ji, please!”
 
 
TOP’s POV
 
My bike was speeding down the street. I received a call from Mrs. Park about Dara. She was obviously on the verge of breaking down. I hit the break as soon as I arrived at their place. I saw Dara sitting on the ground in front of the Kwons’ door. She was knocking weakly as she was muttering “Ji” over and over again. Her voice sounded hoarse and weak, her tone more of begging.
 
“Dara, stand up.”
 
Her head turned sharply to me. A bright smile appeared on her face upon seeing me. But instead of smiling back, I got scared. “Tabi!” she exclaimed, standing up. “You’re just in time. Help me open this door.”
 
“Why?” I asked.
 
“I need to see Ji,” she smiled.
 
“Dara, he’s not in there.”
 
“No! He’s inside. He’s just hiding from me.”
 
I felt a lump in my throat as I saw her hopeful and expectant smile. Oh, ghad! I have to put a stop to her illusions now. I know it’ll hurt her but it will be more painful if she continues living and hoping that Jiyong is still here. And what would be the best way to make her realize the truth but to set out a proof, right?
 
“Do you have keys?” I asked.
 
“Omo!” she chuckled. “Of course! I forgot about that! Stupid me. Wait, I’ll just get-“
 
“No, I’ll get it. Stay here.”
 
She looked at me for a while. “Oh, I guess that would be a great idea. Ji might escape if I leave but make it quick, arasso?”
 
I asked the keys from Mrs. Park after explaining what’s happening and what I’m planning to do.
 
“But she’ll be more devastated!” she sobbed.
 
“It’s the only way for her to move on and let go.”
 
I went back to Dara and I saw her face brightened up as she saw the keys. I inserted one but it wasn’t the right key. On the third try, the door finally opened. She stepped inside excitedly, clapping and jumping up and down. I followed her. I saw her stopped as she saw the bare living room. It was empty. No appliances, not a single sign that someone used to live her before.
 
“Maybe he’s in the kitchen, cooking crab soup. He knows it’s my favorite,” Dara said, still smiling and went running to the kitchen. Still, I followed her and what greeted us was the same with the living room. The kitchen was also empty.
 
“Oh, I know! He’s still sleeping! He’s probably in his room,” she said and took the keys out from my hands. Still, I followed her as she went to Jiyong’s room. Her hands were trembling so much that she can’t put the key in.
 
“Let me,” I said and took the keys from her. As I opened it, I saw nothing new, just like the living room and the kitchen, it was empty.
 
“He’s probably taking a shower,” I heard Dara mumble, gone was the excitement in her voice. I didn’t follow her in the bathroom because something on the floor caught my eye, a sealed compartment. I knew it so well since I also have one in my room. I was about to go find out what’s on it when I heard Dara emerged from the bathroom.
 
“He’s probably in another room,” she ushered, voice starting to tremble.
 
We searched the other rooms and they were all the same. The whole apartment was empty. Dara went back to Jiyong’s room and dropped herself on her knees weakly.
 
“He’s gone. He’s not here anymore.”