Regular

The Spiderweb of Love

 

CL's POV
 
I was greeted by Jingyo oppa the moment I pushed the door of the cafe.
 
“Oppa! What are you-?”
 
“We need to talk!” he sternly said.
 
“About what?” I asked, getting curious. He pulled me to one corner of the cafe.
 
“Your employee's flirting with a customer. It's not healthy for a business!”
 
I frowned. “Flirting? Who?”
 
He turned and pointed a table. I saw Dara unnie eating a cake while talking to someone.
 
“You're paying her to work and she's not even working. It's not-”
 
I chuckled. “It's alright.”
 
“But the-”
 
“Minhwan is a regular customer here and he's a diehard admirer of Dara unnie. We've been actually rooting for the guy for her. Mom and Dad also said that she should see some boys out.” I looked at the counter and saw the others looking at unnie's table, too. I went to them, smiling. “How long has it been?” I asked.
 
“Oh, you're here already!” Bom unnie greeted, “Well, it's been I think 45 minutes?”
 
“Really?” my eyes grew wide.
 
“Neh,” Minzy answered.
 
“So, the boy finally got the courage, huh?” I smirked, making them laugh.
 
“I thought I'd never see this day come,” Dae seconded, a bit dramatically.
 
“She should be reprimanded!” a stern voice said behind me.
 
“Aish, you're so strict, oppa,” I chuckled, shaking my head.
 
“Business should not be mixed with pleasure and she should know that.”
 
“Psh. Don't be so boring, Jiyong-ah. And stop being a spoilsport,” Bom unnie sniggered.
 
I saw oppa's eyes widen in disbelief while his nostrils flared. He turned to glare at me. I just smiled and shrugged at him.
 
 
DARA's POV
 
I was smiling as I went to the kitchen, putting the tray down. I turned around to leave when I suddenly stopped as I saw Mr. Kwon standing in front of me. My smile quickly faded as I saw how dark his face was. I bowed slightly then straightened, eyes cast down. I was about to dodge my way out when he suddenly grabbed my arm.
 
“I want to talk to you,” he blankly said. I looked at him and frowned.
 
“About what?” I asked.
 
His eyes turned into tiny slits, throwing dagger looks at me.
 
“First, you've got to change that tone of yours when you're talking to your superiors!”
 
“You're not my-”
 
“For now. But I will be. Chaerin and the Lees may be lenient with you but I will not tolerate this kind of behavior from my subordinates!”
 
“What are you talking about? The Lees own this place. And-”
 
He smirked. “Yes, the Lees own this but I'll be managing this place starting next week.”
 
My eyes went round. No way! There's no way he'll be managing this cafe! No!
 
“But CL-roo will-”
 
“Chaerin is still young, and she had other plans.”
 
“B-but... But you can't manage this place!” I burst out. I saw his face reddened.
 
Uh-oh.
 
“Are you belittling my skills?" he gritted, his grip tightening its hold on my arm.
 
“Now, let me continue. I am very particular with rules so I expect each of them to be followed accurately. So-”
 
“Wait, wait, wait. Shouldn't you be imposing your rules to everyone and when you're the OFFICIAL MANAGER already?” I pulled my arm back and was about to leave when I heard his voice again.
 
“Well, based from my observations, you seemed to be the type of person who doesn't follow rules. And besides, you're the REAL employee here. Bom noona, Minzy and Daesung don't need to work here if they don’t want to. They don't need money that much unlike you.”
 
I balled my fists, trying to prolong my patience. God, please help me! Stop me from punching this mutt-
 
My thoughts suddenly stopped. Mutt. That's exactly what I call Ji. I started feeling a big lump in my throat at the memory of my bestfriend. I looked at Mr. Kwon and unknowingly, I looked into his eyes. “Ji,” I mumbled. I saw his eyes shift colors but then, it quickly disappeared as he smirked.
 
“I'm right, am I? Now where was I again?” he thoughtfully sad. “Oh yeah, about the rules,” he beamed.
 
“Dara unnie, what's taking you- oh!” Minzy entered. An awkward silence filled the room as we looked at each other. Then, Minzy broke the silence. “Unnie, your loverboy's looking for you.”
 
Gah! Why do they keep on calling him my loverboy when he is absolutely not my loverboy? I'm so tired of telling them not to call him “that” so I just went outside while rolling my eyes at Minzy. I put on a smile as I saw Minhwan was waiting at the door, prepared to leave.
 
“Hey, are you leaving already?” I asked as I approached him.
 
“Neh. So, see you tomorrow?” he smiled.
 
“Same orders?” I chuckled making him chuckle, too.
 
“Neh. So, uh, annyeong.”
 
“Annyeong!” I waved back. I turned to face the others and can't help but shake my head as I saw their teasing looks and knowing smiles.
 
“What are those smiles for?” I snapped.
 
“Ooh, touchy. Being sensitive, are we now, Ssantokki? So tell me, are you having a change of heart with Minhwan?” Bom unnie winked.
 
“I'm older than him,” I said.
 
“So?” CL raised her eyebrow. “He doesn't call you noona, does he?”
 
“Well, no. But that doesn't change the fact that-”
 
“You look younger than your age,” Minzy seconded.
 
“Not to mention you act and think younger than your age. And you look good together. Give the boy a chance,” Dae added, giving Minzy a high-five.
 
“YA! Why are you all doing this?” I burst out making the four of them laugh. I suddenly shivered as I felt goosebumps crawled into my whole system. I looked around and saw two eyes glaring at me.
 
Now what did I do this time?
 
~o~
 
I lazily clapped as Mr. Lee finally appointed Mr. Kwon as the cafe's manager. I sighed. He's not yet even finished in college but he willingly stepped up to the challenge. Just like Ji, he's so goal-oriented. Aish! Here I go again.
 
“Dara, are you alright?”
 
I straightened up as I heard Mr. Lee's voice. “Huh?” I muttered blankly.
 
“Are you alright? You were spacing out a while ago.”
 
I looked at Mr. Lee and saw his worried face. I saw the others looking at me but with curious faces. I smiled awkwardly. “Oh, I'm fine. It's just that-”
 
“She's bored,” Bom unnie chuckled. I gave her a warning look but she just ignored me. Ugh! What is she doing? Mr. Kwon would put this up against me seeing that I'm not interested and bored to the announcement of his managerial position. “You know Dara, Uncle. She's not that interested in stuffs like this.”
 
I heard Mr. Lee chuckle. “You haven't change, Dara. Still the same girl two years ago.”
 
“I'd rephrase that if I were you, Uncle,” the new manager interfered.
 
“Why?” Mr. Lee asked, looking confused.
 
“Can't really call her a girl, can I?”
 
“Oppa, don't be so mean,” CL warned.
 
“Oh, no, it's alright. I can't really call myself a girl, too. Ah, CL-roo, when will you return my affection?” I dramatically asked making everyone laugh, well except for the new manager. What's wrong with him? Why is he looking so red? Did he believe me? Oh! I get it! He thinks I like CL-roo more than a sister or friend. Ugh! Disgusting, really. But a sly smile curved my lips. Two can play a game, right? Well, bring it on then.