Drastic Changes

The Spiderweb of Love

 

JIYONG’s POV
 
I stared at her blankly. Err, what did she just ask?
 
Oh, yeah, she’s asking for my permission.
 
How stupid is that, right? I mean, I’m not her father or her mother. She should ask her parents to things like this, right? And she’s still a baby after all.
 
“Why are you asking me that? I’m not your father or your mother. You should ask Umma’s permission,” I said. But then, upon remembering Dara’s birthday, I was pretty sure what umma would say.
 
“Aish! Asking Umma would be really childish!” she answered.
 
“Then decide for yourself then if you’re so mature already,” I snapped and walked out.
 
“Ya! G-dragoon!” she called but I didn’t look back and continued walking away.
 
 
The next day. . .
 
“So, hyung, is everything settled?” Seungri asked me.
 
“What do you mean?” I asked back. The younger boy rolled his eyes at me.
 
“You know, about Dara noona and TOP hyung. You said yes, didn’t you?”
 
I was quiet for a while. “Well, I. . .” I stopped. Why am I becoming uneasy with this?
 
~o~
 
So, they started going out basically.
 
He fell in love.
 
She fell in love.
 
Psh, cliché.
 
Honestly, it was really awkward for me at first to watch the little rabbit being smitten. I guess I wasn’t ready for it; I didn’t prepare myself for it to happen. It was just too. . .fast, too quick. If I was probably given more time, I would not feel awkward and uneasy. But I told myself over and over again that I made the right decision; the boys told me so. So I just set back and let my bestfriend fall for hyung.
 
It wasn’t an easy ride for hyung either. Since Dara is a very proud person, it took a lot of TOP hyung’s patience to let Dara swallow her pride. Of course I helped him with it, as well as the boys. Even Dad and Umma helped him. And seeing hyung’s efforts, it made all my worries go away. At least, that’s what I know. I made the right decision, right?
 
Well, at least she’s happy. That’s all that really matters.
 
But there were a few changes that I have to adjust to with Dara:
 
1. We don’t walk to school together anymore.
 
2. We don’t walk home together anymore, too.
 
3. I can’t put my arm on her shoulder anymore.
 
4. We don’t eat side by side in the cafeteria anymore.
 
5. We don’t share private jokes anymore.
 
6. I can’t bring or drag her along with me everytime me and Sohee go out.
 
Those were just  few of the things, of course. But as the days passed, even months as we are now in our third year in high school, the changes in my bestfriend is more noticeable than ever. Pathetic, I know, but I somehow missed the times when she always bosses me around. I even missed her stubbornness, clumsiness, childishness and her boyish acts.
 
Oh yes, she’s beginning to abandon her “boyish” image. But she still wears boxers and bra at bedtime and snores loudly. I love that about her. I really don’t know how hyung “convinced” her about it. But the result was indeed good. Her transformation became a most-talked about topic in school, gaining her a lot of admirers (boys), and haters (girls) as well. With that, I realized Sohee was wrong, because Dara is not just pretty and cute. She’s gorgeous, stunning, beautiful, funny, stubborn, brave, tough. . .
 
I asked myself countless times how come I haven’t noticed it before. But then, I told myself that if I DID notice it before, nothing would change. She’s still the little rabbit I know. And eventhough the change is good, I still prefer the old Dara, I don’t know why. But who cares about what I prefer anyways? What I think doesn’t matter as long as she’s happy. That’s all that matters.
 
“So tell me again why you’re dressing like a girl now?” I asked.
 
“I told you, Tabi wants me to,” she answered nonchalantly.
 
“Tell me again why you sold that motorbike of yours? I thought you wanted one so badly.”
 
“Tabi doesn’t want me to have one,” she sighed as she turned a page of a fashion magazine she’s reading. Yes, you heard that right, the little rabbit is reading FASHION magazines now. Pretty shocking, huh?
 
“Tell me again why you’re calling TOP hyung Tabi.”
 
She looked at me, glaring. “You’ve already asked those questions a thousand times before and I’ve already answered each of them a thousand times, too. Why do you keep on asking if you already know the answer?”
 
“You can’t blame me, can you? I mean, you never listened on what other people tells you to do. And besides, you kept on answering them anyways,” I said.
 
She looked at her watch then stood up. “I’m going out. I have a date with Tabi. And FYI, Tabi is not just OTHER PEOPLE, you know,” she said then walked out.
 
The moment she was out, I quietly mumbled, “I know.”
 
I sighed. I’ve been a very good friend to both of them, especially during their first weeks or so. She always runs to me everytime she and hyung fights with petty things. Hyung would also talk to me about Dara’s childishness and pride. But now, she’s starting to stoop herself down.
 
~o~
 
“Ya! Dara, I’ve seen a preview of a new action movie. Man, it was really great. Looks good! Are you on?” I asked as I dropped myself in her bed while she was drying her hair with a towel.
 
“I can’t. I’m going out with Tabi tonight.”
 
“Again?” I asked in disbelief.
 
“Yep!”
 
“How about tomorrow?” I tried again.
 
“Can’t. School project with some classmates.”
 
“How about in the evening?”
 
She didn’t answer.
 
“C’mon, Dara. School projects don’t take the whole day to make.”
 
She glanced at me and I saw she was torn.
 
“Don’t tell me TABI FORBIDS you to watch action movies now?”
 
She bit her lower lip. “Well, kind of.”
 
“That’s too bad. It’s really good though. The effects were really breathtaking. The fight scenes looked hardcore. And the-“
 
“Okay, okay, okay. I’m going! Ghad! Just don’t tell Tabi about this, okay? And we’re going to watch in the evening, arasso?”
 
I smiled. “So, what time will I pick you up at school?”
 
“No need. Just wait for me in the moviehouse at around 6pm, okay?” she grinned, looking excited.
 
 
The following day. . .
 
I arrived at the moviehouse at 5:30 pm. It’s still early so I just went to buy tickets ahead of time and waited for 6pm to come.
 
After 30 minutes. . .
 
I pulled out my phone and sent her a message.
 
JIYONG: wer r u? it’s already 6
 
I waited for her reply. After 15 minutes or so, she did.
 
DARA: I’m gonna b l8. overtime.
 
JIYONG: oh, ok. Olredi bought tickets
 
DARA: :). . c u later!
 
One hour passed. . .
 
DARA: hey, I can’t come. Tabi came to pick me up unexpectedly
 
I sighed. I looked at the tickets. What should I do now? It would be a waste to just throw it away. Oh, well, I guess I have to watch the movie alone.
 
~o~
 
“Umma!” I greeted the moment the door opened.
 
“Jiyong-ah, come in, come in.”
 
I stepped inside and went straight into the kitchen.
 
“I made some crab soup,” I said.
 
“Oh, thank you!” she said.
 
“It’s nothing,” I answered and immediately ran to Dara’s room.
 
“Dara, I made some-" I stopped as I saw the room empty. I frowned.
 
“Umma?” I called.
 
“Neh!” she answered. I went to the kitchen again.
 
“Where’s Dara?” I asked.
 
“She went out with Seunghyun. Didn’t she say anything to you?”
 
“Err, no. She didn’t say anything.”
 
Umma looked at me for a while then sighed, shaking her head.
 
~o~
 
“What’s taking Dara so long?” my mom asked. We’re currently in a restaurant. Everytime the family’s complete, we would always go out to have dinner.
 
“She’s gonna be late,” noona answered. I frowned.
 
“How did you know?” I asked.
 
“She texted me,” she answered. “Why, didn’t she text you? You should know her whereabouts since she’s your bestfriend.”
 
I didn’t answer as I heard Dad laughed.
 
“I bet she’s with Senghyun. Ah, love,” Dad dreamily said.
 
“She’s never been late before,” Umma quietly said.
 
“There are a lot of changes with her lately,” I mumbled.
 
“Hello guys!” Dara suddenly appeared with TOP hyung tagging behind her.
 
“Sorry we’re late. Tabi here forced me to buy a tea-flavored cake for Auntie and Umma,” she continued as she took a seat beside me while hyung was at her right side.
 
“Aww, that’s really sweet of you Seunghyun,” Mom said.
 
“It’s nothing,” hyung replied.
 
I gave Dara a dirty glare as she glanced at me. She knew perfectly well that this is a “family affair”, that’s why I didn’t bring Sohee along. Now what would she think if she finds out that Dara brought hyung along with her? Oh, this is gonna cause another conflict between us. I sighed. Me and Sohee are experiencing some tough times lately. But the rabbit just stuck her tongue out at me.
 
“Let’s start the dinner already!” noona suddenly piped in.
 
 
Hours later. . .
 
Dad, Mom and Umma were chatting happily as we went out of the restaurant. Dami noona was talking to someone on the phone. Dara was with hyung of course while I was just staying behind, watching all of them.
 
Then out of nowhere, Dara tripped and fell down.
 
“Aish! You’re still as clumsy as ever Dara! Why don’t you watch your steps?" I exclaimed as I was about to go to her and help her up. But I suddenly stopped as I saw hyung beat me to it.
 
“Hey, are you alright? Does it hurt?” hyung asked gently. Eh? Did I hear that right? Hyung’s getting all mushy?
 
“I’m fine. I’m sorry about tripping. Haha. I guess I’m still not use in wearing heels.”
 
“Why are you saying sorry to me? I’m not the one who has been hurt,” hyung voiced out in disbelief. Dara chuckled as she struggled to stand up.
 
“Silly. I’m not saying sorry to you. I’m actually apologizing to Ji. He usually gets mad at me everytime I hurt myself because of my clumsiness,” she said. Err, is this for real? Dara knows how to say sorry now?
 
I shook my head. “You won’t trip if you weren’t wearing heels. Why do you keep on wearing that, anyways?” I asked.
 
“Tabi gave this to me,” she explained.
 
“Oh!” I mumbled, then she suddenly groaned.
 
“I think I’ve sprained my foot,” she said.
 
“Well, I can piggyback you if-“
 
“I can take care of my girlfriend, don’t worry,” hyung cut-off. Eh? Why is he getting acidic to me? And why does that sting? Oh well, maybe I just ate too much.
 
“Let me see it then. I can massage your spr-“
 
“Ji, I’m not a child anymore. This is nothing. I don’t need your help, really. You know I’m capable of myself. And besides, Tabi’s here.”
 
Why does that sting more?
 
“I’m just trying to help here, no need to get all serious and grumpy.”
 
“I’m more capable than you think,” hyung answered.
 
I chuckled. “What’s with that tone, hyung? I’m not implying any-“
 
“Ji,” Dara cautioned.
 
Fine. Better keep your mouth shut, Ji, I silently scolded myself.
 
I just shrugged and went ahead of them.