The Outcast

The Spiderweb of Love

 

TOP's POV
 
Damn! Did I just say that Park is cute?
 
Ghad! I did! Now what? The girl looked like she’d just seen a ghost the way she paled.
 
“I hate that word!” she said. The next thing I know, she was marching towards me. My reflexes must have been on alert because I caught her hand just in time. I just complimented her and she wanted to punch me in return? Where was she born? In Amazon planet?
 
But then, I suddenly noticed how close she was to me. My heart started to double up as I saw how close her face was to mine. I swallowed hard as my eyes involuntarily darted to her lips. This is not a good sign. Definitely not. I suddenly pushed her away.
 
“Temper, Park,” I said carelessly then went to find a spot for me to lie down.
 
“What are you doing?” she asked.
 
“I'm going to sleep. Want to lie beside me?”
 
“In your dreams and over my dead body!” she said in a deadly tone.
 
I chuckled. “Why don't you take a nap already, rabbit? You're too noisy.”
 
“What did you just call me?”
 
“Rabbit, why?”
 
“How did you-? Why-” she stuttered.
 
“I noticed you like munching carrots,” I explained.
 
“Oh!” she mumbled, looking relieved. Then, “Ya!” she suddenly screamed. “We're not close and you're not even my friend! Don't call me that!”
 
“What do you want me to call you then? Caterpillar? Ugly duckling? Monkey?” I laughed as I closed my eyes. Then, out of nowhere, I felt something hard hit my face. Ouch! That hurts! I sat up and looked at the culprit. The girl was laughing her heart out as she saw that her shoe hit its target.
 
“Serves you right!” she sneered as I picked up her shoe. I saw her stood up and made her way towards me. I smirked and hid her shoe under my shirt.
 
“Ya! What are you doing? Give that back!”
 
“No,” I grinned.
 
“Give me my shoe back, Gorilla!” she repeated through gritted teeth.
 
“Come and get it then,” I teased.
 
“If you won't give that back, I swear you're gonna regret it! I'm gonna pound you to pieces!”
 
I stood up, emphasizing my height over hers. “I'd like to see you try,” I towered over her.
 
“Ya! Seunghyun!”
 
I stared at her. Slowly, a smile formed my lips. “Hmm.. First time hearing you say my name. I liked it. As a prize, here's your precious shoe,” I smirked and gave her shoe back.
 
“Thank-” she stopped with wide eyes then turned around.
 
“Is it really hard to for you to say Thank you and I'm sorry?” I asked.
 
“No. Only to you!” she snapped as she was now back to her spot. She put her shoe back, looked up and stuck her tongue out to me.
 
How cute!
 
Aish! I shook my head.
 
“For your information, I returned your shoe back because you're foot is smelly.”
 
“Go to hell!”
 
I chuckled. “See you there.”
 
After a while, I started hearing her snores. I wasn't able to sleep. I mean, how can I sleep when I know she's just in the opposite side? I chuckled lightly. The girl snores like a guy! And she could wake up the whole school with that snore of hers. I stood up and walked slowly to her sleeping form. The brat looks like a baby when she's sleeping, so innocent. I scooted down to take a better look at her face. I sighed. She never fails to enchant me with that face of hers. The first time I saw her, I was already captivated.
 
“When will you grow up, Dara?” I murmured.
 
 
WEEKEND. . .
 
JIYONG's POV
 
I went to pick up Sohee to help me prepare dinner for the arrival of Dad, and of course, so she can join the dinner with us. Upon arriving at the apartment, I saw Dara sleeping soundly in the living room.
 
“I left her wide awake a while ago, and now she's already fast asleep. Wait for me here,” I said as I went to my room and took my blanket to cover my stubborn bestfriend up. After wrapping my blanket to Dara, I proceeded to the kitchen, dragging Sohee along with me. I prepared what's needed and Sohee helped with it.
 
I was in the middle of cooking Dad's favorite crab soup when I saw Dara walking towards us, rubbing her eyes cutely.
 
“I want some crab soup,” she said.
 
“It's not yet done. You have to wait,” I informed her.
 
“How long?” she asked again as she slid herself to the floor.
 
“More or less ten minutes.”
 
“That long? But I want to have some crab soup now,” she pouted.
 
“Let's just order, then. Wait, I'll call-”
 
“No, I don't like the taste of crab soup in restaurants. I prefer yours,” she yawned.
 
“Then, you have to wait,” Sohee intervened.
 
“Most likely,” she yawned again.
 
“Why don't you go back to sleep? I'll wake you up later.”
 
“Sounds a good idea.”
 
Dara stood up and slumped out of the kitchen. I continued cooking when I noticed Sohee's silence.
 
“Hey, why are you so quiet?” I asked.
 
“Nothing. Just thinking,” she answered.
 
“About what? About me?”
 
I expected her to smile but she didn't. She just looked at me, as if thinking whether she should say something or not. Then she shook her head.
 
“You'll just laugh at me,” she said.
 
“No, I won't. C'mon, tell me,” I asked, flashing my boyish smile, which I know she can't resist.
 
“It's just. . .It's just that everytime Dara unnie is with us you tend to forget about me, that I'm with you.”
 
I scoffed. I can't believe I'm hearing this from her. It's totally absurd. “That's not true,” I chuckled.
 
“It's not funny. And you said you won't laugh!”
 
“It's because you sounded like you're jealous with my bestfriend!”
 
“Shouldn't I? Do you think I haven't noticed? Your attention always diverts to her everytime she moves, speaks or just do nothing. And she's ALWAYS with us. We don't have any time alone together!”
 
“She's my bestfriend, Sohee. It's natural for me to look after her. And I always bring her with us because you know that she's a trouble to herself especially when she's left alone.”
 
“You're not her father, it's not your responsibility. And Seunghyun oppa is right, she won't grow up if you're always guiding her in everything. You're just her bestfriend, she's not your responsibility.”
 
“That's it, you said so yourself. I'm her BESTFRIEND, and friends are supposed to look after each other, right?”
 
“But you're doing it TOO much. And she's not even looking after you. All she cares about is herself.”
 
“That's not true, and you know it,” I said dismissively.
 
Later. . .
 
The table was set and ready when I heard the doorbell. I hurriedly went to get the door.
 
“Dad!” I greeted. My father laughed as he greeted me back. I helped him bring in the luggages.
 
“What's this?” I asked as I saw a large, round wrapped package.
 
“Oh, that? That's Dara's punching bag. Where is she anyway?”
 
Oh! I forgot to wake Dara up! I hurriedly went to my room to wake her up.
 
“Dara!” I shouted. She didn't move. I was about to pull her to the bathroom and spill cold water in her face again when I thought of my second technique to wake her up. “Dara! Dad's here! You're punching bag has also arrived. Dad asked-”
 
Her eyes suddenly snapped open. “Uncle's here? Really? Omo!”
 
I stared at the open door in disbelief as my bestfriend flew through it. She was already out in just a flash of lightning. I was chuckling to myself when I followed her outside. And there she was, jumping in glee upon seeing the punching bag and boxing gloves Dad brought home for her.
 
“I have to try this out now. Ji, come. You should hold this.”
 
"Yes, you can, but we should eat first, okay?” I said, then turned to my father. “I prepared something.”
 
“That's my boy. Dara, tell your mother to join us here,” Dad said. My bestfriend smiled and quickly went out to get her mother.
 
“How do you do that, Dad?” I asked.
 
“Do what?” he asked in return.
 
“Make Dara follow what you say in just a blink of an eye.”
 
My father just laughed and started going to the dining area.
 
“Oh, Sohee! You're here. How are you?”
 
 
DINNER. . .
 
“Did you prepare all of these, Jiyong?” Dad asked.
 
“Sohee helped me,” I answered, smiling at Sohee who was sitting beside me.
 
“These are all good,” Umma complimented.
 
“Oppa really knows his way in the kitchen,” Sohee seconded.
 
“I taught him all he knows,” my bestfriend remarked proudly.
 
“Yeah, right. You don't even know how to cook,” I said. Sohee choked.
 
“Really? Unnie doesn't know how to cook?” my girl asked in disbelief.
 
“Let's just say Dara prefers junkshops than kitchens,” Dad chuckled.
 
Sohee and Umma shook their head in denial while me and Dara laughed out loud.
 
“That's right, that's right,” we chorused.
 
“Her lack of interest in the kitchen actually worries me that she won't get married and she'll grow old alone,” Umma voiced out.
 
“Dara's still young, she still got a long way to go,” Dad defended my bestfriend.
 
“I can always ask Ji to cook for me when that time comes,” my bestfriend interfered.
 
“Jiyong-ah will have his own family at that time. He won't be able to attend to all your needs anymore,” Umma said.
 
“Then I'm going to live with him and his family then. Since I know Ji can't live without me,” she beamed.
 
I laughed. “You're too assuming. And Umma, who would dare pursue her when all the guys are scared of coming near her?”
 
“Seunghyun oppa's not afraid of her,” Sohee said out of nowhere. This sparked an interest in both Dad and Umma.
 
“Really? Who is this guy?” Dad asked.
 
“He's my stepbrother,” Sohee answered.
 
“And did you say he's not afraid of my daughter?” Umma followed.
 
“Neh!” Sohee answered again.
 
“Tell me more about him,” Dad requested. Then, Sohee started telling them about hyung. I was watching Dara the whole time. I was secretly laughing as I was entertained by how she makes face, grimaces, coughs, chokes, sniggers, rolls her eyes and raises her eyebrows with Sohee's rants, a sign that she totally disagrees with everything Sohee was saying. She looked so hilarious that I can't help myself to join in.
 
“Hyung's really good looking,” I joined in.
 
“No, he's not. He looks like a Gorilla,” my bestfriend disagreed.
 
“He's really witty, too. And a true gentleman,” Sohee added.
 
“That's totally a lie!” Dara scoffed.
 
“He's mature and responsible.”
 
“He is not!” Dara burst out. “He's immature to the lowest pits of the earth! And totally irresponsible! He could have been a third year student now if he didn't stop for a year back in grade school . . . . blah blah blah blah. . . Gorilla this, Gorilla that. . . “
 
I started counting the minutes as she ranted on and on and on and on about hyung.
 
“. . . . . and oh, did I mention that he's really a playboy? Aish! I don't really know what the girls see in him when he totally looks like a Gorilla! But there are times that he looks different, though, like his cheeks are so hollow he kinda looked like a character for horror movies. His eyes are so fierce you could mistaken him for a mad killer. His teeth are so sharp he's like a vampire! And his lips looked so soft it's more of a girl's lips than a guy's! How disgusting!” she finally stopped.
 
Ten minutes. It took her ten minutes to rant. I looked at Dad and Umma, both wearing amused expression.
 
“You seemed to know a lot about him,” my Dad said.
 
“And how did you know his teeth were sharp?” Umma wondered.
 
A sudden blush crept to Dara's cheeks. I can't believe this! She's blushing! My bestfriend's blushing! Park Dara is blushing!
 
“Looks like our girl is growing up,” I said. Dad chuckled and turned to Sohee.
 
“Sohee, dear, I'd like to meet this stepbrother of yours. Can you invite him to come sometimes?”
 
“Neh, sure.”