Metamorphosis

The Spiderweb of Love

 

AUTHOR’s POV
 
“Dami unnie!” Dara exclaimed when she saw the older girl in their doorsteps.
 
“San-da-ra!” Dami greeted enthusiastically, hugging Dara.
 
“Unnie, I told you, I don’t want to be called-“
 
“I’ve got something for you!” Dami cut-off.
 
Dara’s eyes went round. “Really? What is it?”
 
“Let me in first, will you?”
 
“Oh, yes. Hehe. Come in!”
 
The moment the two were inside, Dami took something out from the paper bag she brought. “Here,” she said.
 
“Wow! My own cellphone, finally! And oh, it’s brand new!” Dara exclaimed in delight.
 
“You’re spoiling her too much,” a new voice emerged. Jiyong went in and sat beside his sister.
 
“Like you’re not doing that yourself,” the older girl answered back.
 
“But unnie, I thought you were going home for Christmas?”
 
Dami glanced at Jiyong first before answering. “I didn’t specifically say Christmas, I said I’m coming in December. And besides, is it wrong to visit you once in a while?”
 
“Is there something going on that I don’t know?” Dara asked suspiciously.
 
“You’re so suspicious. Why don’t you just explore your new phone?”
 
“Oh, yes, now that you mentioned it,” the young girl mumbled as her attention turned back to the cellphone.
 
 
The following day. . .
 
What’s taking them so long? Jiyong asked himself. When TOP asked for their help, the boys all agreed and were very eager. They were enthusiastically listening to the older guy’s plans. And eventhough he strongly disagrees with it, he just kept it to himself. He had no choice, right? He doesn’t want to be called a “spoilsport” anyways. And besides, they were right in saying that it would be for TOP and Dara’s happiness. Hyun Seung, Seungri and Taeyang asked Jiyong for a favor, sort of a surprise for TOP. They all asked him to ask his sister, Kwon Dami to do a “DARA MAKEOVER” without the knowledge of TOP. He had a few arguments with the boys because of that, because he believes the makeover is unnecessary. But what can he do against three people? So, he just went along with it. And well, because he knows that Dara has really something for TOP. Though he was wrong all along that Dara is not TOP’s ideal girl. He thought his bestfriend is not TOP’s type, just to figure out that the older guy was already taken the first time he laid his eyes on Dara. So, he told his sister about the plan. And of course, his sister agreed.
 
And now, his sister and Dara has been spending the whole day inside Dami’s room. In the first hours of the morning, he can hear loud banging inside the room; Dara’s loud protests, screams and shouts; and his sister’s loud scolding voice. But for the rest of the afternoon, the room remained silent.
 
His phone suddenly beeped.
 
Seungri: How r things going there?
 
Jiyong: no idea. Haven’t seen her yet
 
Seungri: I trust your sister. I’m pretty sure hyung will be surprised later
 
Jiyong: yeah, I guess so. How about in ur side?
 
Seungri: everything’s ready. Dara noona is just the missing piece
 
Jiyong: what time r u gonna pick her up? And how?
 
Seungri: 5pm. I borrowed Appa’s car
 
Jiyong: do u have a license?
 
Seungri: Taeyang hyung will be driving
 
Jiyong: oh
 
 
Later. . .
 
Aish! Jiyong irritably thought as he looked at the clock. It’s 4:30 already. He went to knock on his sister’s door. “Noona! What’s taking you so long?" I called.
 
No answer. Jiyong was about to knock again when the door suddenly opened.
 
“Err. Who are you?" Jiyong asked as a very pretty girl opened the door. She was wearing a black y dress, her hair brushed up with wavy curls lying lightly on her bare shoulders.
 
“Hey, Jiyong-ah,” Dami emerged, standing beside the girl. It finally dawned on Jiyong that the pretty girl must be his sister’s friend, helping her with Dara’s makeover. But, how come he can’t remember the girl coming in?
 
“Oh. Annyeong!” he greeted. “I’m Kwon Jiyong, your friend’s brother. You are?”
 
“Stupid! No need to introduce yourself. I already know you.”
 
His frown deepens. How dare her call him stupid when they’d just met?
 
“So, what do you think?” Dami asked, putting an arm on the girl’s shoulders.
 
“What do I think of what? And where the hell is Dara? She’s gonna be late!” Jiyong asked irritably.
 
“I told you, unnie! I really look hideous beyond recognition!” the beautiful girl said. Jiyong’s eyes widen.
 
“No way!” he denied.
 
His eyes suddenly scrutinized the girl in front of him, thinking that there’s no way the girl is Dara. No way! Na-ah! Definitely not! Too impossible! He frowned again as the arc of the girl’s brows looked strangely familiar. He was sure that he saw that cute little nose before. Those lips. Those soft looking lips felt strangely familiar, too, as if he already brushed his lips against it before. And those eyes. There was something inside him that’s telling him he grew up wishing to take that sadness from her expressive eyes away. Then his eyes roamed down her physique and stopped on her legs as he saw a mark there. That mark. That birthmark on her legs reminds him so much of Dara’s birthmark. The shape, the location, the color, the- his thoughts stopped right there as his head suddenly snapped up and his breath came in a sharp intake.
 
“Sandara?”
 
The girl rolled her eyes, which to Jiyong served as the confirmation.
 
“Can someone please tell me why do I have to wear this FREAKING THING?”
 
No answer.
 
“Fine then. Get out of my way, Ji. I’m thirsty.”
 
Jiyong stepped aside. He watched Dara struggled walking with her high heels. Then, she tripped and started to fall down. But before she even hits the floor, he was able to catch her just in time. He then suddenly froze as her unfamiliar scent entered his nose. For their whole life, he was used to Dara smelling like him because she uses the same perfume he’s using. But now, she smells different. She smells too sweet, too enchanting, too. . .
 
“Aish! I really hate heels. . . . . . ugh! If not for that bike, I wouldn’t. . . . . ." Dara mumbled darkly to herself as she composed herself up. She leaned her hands against the wall as she walked to the kitchen. Jiyong turned back to his sister, wearing an expression of disbelief.
 
“How did you get her to wearing those?” he asked.
,
“We had an agreement” Dami answered.
 
“What kind of agreement?”
 
“I’m going to buy her a motorbike in exchange of her wearing those things.”
 
Doorbell. . .
 
Jiyong went to get the door. He was greeted by Seungri and Taeyang enthusiastically.
 
“So, where is she?” Taeyang asked.
 
“Where’s who?” Dara’s voice emerged.
 
“WHOA!” Taeyang and Seungri exclaimed.
 
“What are you doing here, both of you?” Dara asked but the two didn’t answer. They were too stunned, too dumbfounded to even speak. Seungri’s jaw dropped to the floor as his eyes feasted on Dara.
 
“Hyung’s gonna be surprised with this. Great job!” Taeyang recovered.
 
“What do you mean? What surprise?” Dara asked, looking confused.
 
Jiyong suddenly remembered about the night’s event. He was too shocked with Dara’s transformation himself that he forgotten all about TOP’s plan. Who would have guessed that a beautiful butterfly will emerge from a caterpillar? But then, his eyes squinted as he looked over Dara.
 
“You’re going with us,” Seungri said.
 
“Huh? Where and why?”
 
“She can’t,” Jiyong suddenly said.
 
Taeyang and Seungri looked at him in confusion.
 
“Noona, let her change. It’s winter season already, she can’t go out with that dress! It’ll be cold!” Jiyong turned to his sister.
 
He heard Taeyang and Seungri chuckled. He turned his head back to them.
 
“Don’t worry, hyung’s gonna be there. He can keep Dara warm.”
 
“Ya! You three! What are you talking about?” Dara burst out, getting irritated.
 
The boys just looked at each other. Seungri nodded to Taeyang as they then proceeded to take Dara “by force”.
 
“Wait, where are you taking me?” Dara asked, starting to panic as the two boys grabbed her arms and started pulling her out.
 
“It’s a surprise,” Seungri said.
 
“Surprise? What surprise?”
 
Taeyang chuckled. “If we’re going to tell you, it won’t be a surprise anymore.”
 
“But. . . but. . . .wait. . . .Ji, aren’t you coming?” she frantically asked.
 
“No, I can’t. . . .” Jiyong answered quietly as he saw Dara was out to the streets already.
 
“Have fun!” Dami waved, who was now standing beside him. He heard Dami laughed upon seeing Dara going wild inside the car.
 
“Ah, the boys are going to have a hard time with her. Are you sure you’re not going with them?”
 
“No, I already did my part,” the boy answered.
 
“Hmm. I’m worried though,” his sister said. He looked at her. “Dara’s going to ruin the dress if she keeps on going wild like that.”
 
 
Later. . .
 
Dami was having the time of her life as she watched her brother pace back and forth in front of her. She smirked as she saw her little brother kept on glancing at his watch as he was mumbling darkly to himself.
 
“Five hours. . . .cold. . .that dress….she’s still a baby.”
 
Those were just the COHERENT words she picked up.
 
“Ya! What are you so worried about? TOP is your friend, right? Don’t you trust him?” she asked.
 
“It’s been five hours already. It’s already late!” he muttered, looking distracted.
 
“You should have went with them, then, if you’re getting overly worried.”
 
Jiyong stopped pacing as he pondered on what his sister said. Actually, he’s wondering about that himself. Why did he choose to be left behind? But why was he worrying anyways? His sister was right. TOP was his friend, he should be comforted with that fact, right?
 
 
Meanwhile. . .
 
TOP was really surprised when Dara stepped out of the car a while ago. Who would have thought that she can transform like that? And who would have thought that she’s going to wear something so y like that? But, what really amazed him was the way her face looked. Eventhough her makeup made her really look y, the innocence in her face that captured him before is still there. He cleared his throat uncertainly. He never felt this kind of nervousness before. He was a very confident person when it comes to girls but tonight it seemed like his confidence is not working. Well, probably because Dara is not just any other girl. And he waited to have this moment for almost a year and a half already. It’s better to do it now before the “other one” gets his chance.
 
He looked at her and smiled. She was really stunning. The girl, unaware of his dilemmas, looked back at him curiously. He took that as a cue. He took a deep breath and opened his mouth. “Be my girl.”
 
 
Back at the apartment. . .
 
Jiyong jerked as he heard voices outside. He immediately stepped out, not minding that his only wearing a white sleeveless shirt and boxer shorts.
 
“Hey, guys!” he greeted enthusiastically as he saw the boys. He ran towards them, laughing like a crazy person. The boys greeted him back. Taeyang then gave him a meaningful look then at Dara.
 
“Ya! Sandara Park! What are you still doing here? It’s cold. Get inside now. Go on, go on now,” Jiyong shooed his bestfriend.
 
“Err, aren’t you cold yourself?” Seungri asked as he looked over Jiyong’s state.
 
“Oh, no. I’m not!” he answered, and then looked back again to make sure Dara was already inside.
 
“So, how was it?” he asked. The others looked at each other meaningfully.
 
“Everything was perfect. Though, I must say, Dara’s answer was really surprising and unexpected,” Taeyang said.
 
Jiyong looked at TOP sadly. “Oh, hyung, I’m sorry to hear that. I-“
 
The boys started laughing. “We leave everything to you now,” Taeyang said again.
 
“You like hyung for Dara, right? I mean, TOP hyung can bend Dara’s stubborn knees, so he’s really a good influence to her,” Hyun Seung seconded.
 
“Say yes, okay? And besides, Dara obviously likes hyung, too. She just needs some motivation,” Seungri added.
 
Jiyong looked at them, confused. “What are you all talking about?” he asked.
 
“You’ll find out,” TOP answered.
 
The boys started getting in the car while Jiyong was still asking for explanation from them.
 
“Ya! Wait!” he called as the car went off. Left alone, Jiyong went to follow Dara in their apartment. He saw her standing in the doorway. “Hey, what are you doing there? I told you to go inside,” he scolded as he pulled her inside and headed towards her room.
 
“I was just checking. . . .” her voice faded.
 
“So, tell me what happened,” he asked.
 
Dara then proceeded telling him EVERYTHING. When she was finished telling him the night’s event in detail, they stared at each other.
 
“So, what did you say?” he asked.
 
“Well. . . I don’t really know what happened. I guess I was too befuddled . . . maybe because of my hair. Did you know that unnie blow-dried my hair? Then she sprayed a lot of hairspray into it, so I guess the chemicals went into my brain, so I wasn’t able to think seriously, plus, the Gorilla was really smiling at me in a way he never smiled at me before. . I got really confused. . .So, I well, I said something that I didn’t plan to say. . because I originally planned to say no. . . but my mouth was being stubborn.. Can you believe that? My mouth has its own brain. And-“
 
“Dara, what did you say?”
 
She blushed heavily. “Well, I said I have to ask you first.”
 
SILENCE.
 
“So, err, what should I say to him?” she asked.
 
SILENCE again.
 
“Should I say. . . yes?”
 
SILENCE, still. . .
 
“Err, is it a no then?”