Chapter 30

Married With Him

 

It was in the middle of the night when he heard noises coming from downstairs. He walked slowly downstairs to see who it was. The light in the kitchen was dimmed low and he couldn't make out who was inside the fridge. He the light and saw his wife searching for something.

"What are you looking for?"

She sort of jumped out from the fridge. "Oh My God! You scared me."

"What are you doing?"

She looked at him and stayed silent.

"Are you hungry again?"

"No." She pulled on her sweater that was on the counter. "I'm going to go out."

"At this hour? Where are you going?"

"I want some ice cream."

"You want ice cream? We have some in the freezer." He looked in the freezer and pulled out a little carton of vanilla ice cream. "Here…"

"I want Ben & Jerry's Dublin Mudslide"

"That's chocolate ice cream. I thought you don’t like that ice cream."

"You don't understand." She turned around, but he blocked her.

"I'll go get it." He pulled on his jacket and got to the door.

"I'm going too." They both left and entered in his car. "Where do you expect to get it at this time?"

They were both still in their pajamas.

"At the Warrington shop."

"It's closed."

"It's not closed yet."

"Fine." He drove them to a shop with no lights on. "Now where? Can't you just have chocolate ice cream?"

"No! I want Ben & Jerry's Dublin Mudslide only."

"Where are we going to get Ben & Jerry's Dublin Mudslide?"

"I don't know." She got angry and exited the car.

"Jiyoung! Get back in the car." He turned off the car and got out too.

She didn't care. She was angry. She was furious. She didn't know what to do.

"I want..."

"I know. I know. You want Ben & Jerry's Dublin Mudslide ice cream." He caught up to her and pulled her back.

She looked into his eyes and saw the sadness in it. She saw the pain and the sorrow. They were inches apart, looking eye to eye. Her breathing enhanced. Her breath felt short. He moved closer, but then turned to the side and smiled. She was still looking at his face.