Chapter 14

Married With Him

 

"Here's your coffee and the newspaper for Seoul"

His secretary handed him his coffee and the newspaper. She left the room before he could thank her. He took a sip of the coffee and opened up the newspaper. He dropped the cup of coffee onto his table and everything on his desk was wet. He threw the paper away and had hoped his wife didn't read it. His secretary came in and saw the mess. While she was picking up the files off the desk, he stormed out of the office. She didn't need any explanation because she already saw the paper that morning.

"I know that it's none of my business, but it's what I ask to all my clients. Are you okay with that?"

She went to see the divorce lawyer on the very same day she called for him. She knew that she only had a little time left before her husband came back. She needed to take advantage of her free time before he gets to know about it.

"Sure." She was quiet again.

"Why...Why is it that...you want to divorce your husband?"

"Oh, it's because..." She didn't want to humiliate him because she knows that it wouldn't be good for his business. "It's because... (Thinking) "He’s cheating on me"...It’s because we don't love each other. We just got married to please our parents' wishes."

"Okay. Well, this sort of thing always happens. Since you guys won't be having any issues over the divorce, it'll be easy." He handed her some papers that he had drafted before she came over. "Just ask him to sign these and it'll be over. In the contract, it just says that you guys just go back to the way you guys were before you got married. There is not going to be any split of money, land, business, or etc, right?"

"Yes."

"Okay, then once he signs this contract, the marriage is over."

"Thank you." She shook his hand and left the office.

She was walking towards her car when, all of a sudden, there were men with cameras everywhere snapping her pictures.

They were shouting questions at her. "What were you discussing in the lawyer's office...What's in your hands? Are you divorcing your husband?"

She didn't say anything and left quickly.

When she entered her house, she smelt something really good. It smelled familiar and went into the kitchen. She saw her mom cooking in the kitchen.

"Omma, what are you doing here? Wait, how did you get in?"

She went and hugged her mom really tight. Her mom gave her a peck on the cheeks.

"What? You don't want me here?"

"Aniyoo, I'm so happy to see you." She put her purse and the papers on the counter. "How did you get into the house?"

"My son-in-law gave it to me. He told me that he would be gone for a few days for business and told me to come over to take care of you."

"Oh...I'm going to go up and freshen up a bit." She went to take a shower upstairs.

Her mom took out a bowl and was going to put it on the counter, but noticed that her daughter's purse was there. She grabbed the purse and saw a file. She took out the papers and looked at it. Her daughter was just walking down the stairs when she dropped the papers on the floor.

"Omma...what...happened?" She asked and then she saw the papers on the floor.