Chapter 28

Married With Him

 

"Annyeong omma. See you soon. Come visit us soon." Jiyoung looked over at Heechul and faked a smile. She was relieved that her mother-in-law finally went home.

It was quiet on the drive back home. She didn't want to say anything and he didn't want to know anything.

"Gomawo." Heechul looked over at Jiyoung.

"For what?"

"Not telling omma that I'm pregnant."

"We need time to figure this out before we let the elder’s know."

"I know." She looked out the window. "I think...that it's better if you leave."

"I'm not going to leave you. I don't want to lose you."

"I know that you love me, but...the feelings you have for me are different. We never loved each other before we got married. We were friends...not lovers. And now...now you think that you love me. You love me as a friend, not as a husband."

"I love you and I know my own feelings. It's you." She looked over at him. "Yes, it’s you. You don't know if you love me or not. Your feelings for me are unclear. You're the one who hasn't told me that you love me."

"It's because I don't. I don't love you Heechul. We are friends, not husband and wife. My feelings for you are no more than sisterly love."

"Sisterly love? Then, why did you sleep..."

"Heechul! I was vulnerable. I didn't know that our relationship did not go further than the kitchen table. I didn't know that we have not seen each other for a while. If I had known, I would never have given it to you."

"What if you did know? What would you have done? Would you have kicked me out? Let our parents know the whole thing?"

"I was infatuated. You were like a prince charming in my life. Even though there were some scandals, you turned out to be an honest husband. At least...until...”

"There's only one thing you need to know. I'm not going to let you go. I know that you're just mad at me right now. I know that deep down, you love me. You won't admit to it, but you do. Otherwise, you would have divorced me by now."

"I would have divorced you, but that means you'll lose your grandfather's business. I didn't want you to lose your family business. Otherwise, I would have divorced you the minute I found out."

"The family business means nothing to me. You're the only thing that's important to me."

"You married me just so that you can have the family business. Don't lie to yourself. It meant a lot to you. You were just looking for someone convenient. Someone who wouldn't get in your way. Someone who wouldn't be involved in your daily life."

"I did. But that's all in the past. I didn't realize that our friendship can become more. Now...I do."

"It doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact that we are not to see each other again. Please. I just want to live like I did before the accident."

He looked over at her. He saw tears in her eyes. She was crying. "I love you. I can't lose you...but...if...you don't feel the same...I...I'll leave."

She looked over at him. He had a serious face, but she could see the hurt in him. "Go..Gomawo."

"But..."

"I promise. No divorce."

"No, it's not that. I'll leave only after you've given birth."

"After I give birth?"

"Otherwise, I don't leave at all."

"Fine."

"About the baby, we'll have to share custody."

"Yes, but it's not time yet. We'll talk about that when it gets closer."

They finally reached home. She went straight to the restroom to vomit.

"This is why I don't want to leave you while you're pregnant." A voice came behind her from the door. She turned around and gave a weak smile.

He brought her to bed and pulled the blanket over her.

"Did you want anything to eat?" She shook her head. "I'll be in the office." He turned to leave.

"Heechul." He turned to look at her.

"It's fine." He turned and left.

'I love you' she whispered after he left.