First Dates and First Promises

Forever Shorties
Yunho was shaking with nerves. He felt awkward and clumsy and so stupid. So very, very stupid. He should have been listening to Yoochun. This was bordering on illegal.
 
But he couldn’t help it. Once he met Jaejoong, he knew he had to get to know the beautiful boy more.
 
At 17 he knew he shouldn’t have asked the 14 year old out. But he wanted to get to know Jaejoong so badly.
 
“I still think you’re stupid. You’re going to be 18 in three weeks. Jaejoong is barely 14.”
 
“I’m not going to do anything to him. I just want to get to know him. He’s smart. He’s in all the AP classes. He’s probably going to graduate before me.”
Yunho stood in front of his mirror, scrutinizing his outfit. He was worried he looked to dressed up. He pulled off the button down shirt and replaced it with a light leather jacket.
 
“Yunho, I swear to god, this is the stupidest thing you’ve every done. He’s 14 ing years old!”
 
“He’s a junior!” Yunho shouted. He was getting tired of arguing with Yoochun.
 
“How did you even meet him? You are in exactly none of the AP classes offered.”
 
“Last week he tested out of calculus.”
 
“And…” Yoochun was pissed. He didn’t want to watch his best friend up even more and get arrested for screwing around with a kid. A 14 year old ing kid. “Yunho? And how did you meet him?”
 
“He transferred into my gym class. There were no other AP classes that were offered that period and he already has a study hall. So they shoved him into a senior gym class.”
 
“Wow… That was really ing stupid. This is the theme for this week: ‘Really ing stupid decisions’. So what you saw a pretty face and wanted to protect it.”
 
“It was more than that, Chun. You know me better than that.”
 
“What? How could it be ‘more than that’? You’re like 4 years older than him. I’m pretty sure this is morally wrong.”
 
“I’m not going to do anything with him. We’re going to a movie and then we’re going to get some coffee. That’s it. We’ve agreed that if anyone questions anything, we’re going to say he’s my cousin.”
 
“Yeah, that work until you start making out with him,” Yoochun scoffed.
 
“I have more control than that!”
 
“What ever. I’ll be here when your gets arrested.”
 
“Yoochun! Holy , I’m not going to get arrested. I’m not going to make out with Jaejoong. And I’m not going to take advantage of him.” Yunho slumped down in his chair. “I just want to talk to him out side of school and away from people.”
 
“Because he’s pretty.”
 
“Yes, Yoochun. Because he’s pretty. And smart. And talented. Jaejoong is just really interesting and I want to get to know him.”
 
“You keep telling yourself that.”
 
“I swear to ing god, Yoochun I will not hesitate in beating the out of you.”
 
“Okay. Okay. I’m sorry. Kinda. Just be careful,” Yoochun warned.
 
“I know. It’ll be fine. I need to get going.”
 
 
 
Yunho sat in his car in front of Jaejoong’s house. He was almost 10 minutes late. Well, kinda. Sitting in his car didn’t really count as being on time. He took a deep breath and got out of the car.
 
Jaejoong’s house was huge and opulent. He knew the Kims were upper class, but he didn’t realize they were loaded. He suddenly felt ridiculously poor in comparison.
 
He turned to leave. He didn’t really have a chance with Jaejoong. And Yoochun was right, asking a 14 year old was morally wrong.
 
“Hey you jerk!”
 
Yunho turned quickly and saw Jaejoong standing on the porch. He tried not to stare but Jaejoong looked fantastic in a pair of dark blue jeans, a black tank top and a dark reddish hoodie. There were angel wings printed on the back that curled around to the front of the hoodie.
 
“It’s a really ty thing to do. Asking someone out and then ditching them.”
 
“I’m sorry.” Yunho crossed the lawn. “I guess I just got nervous and had a sudden burst of morality.”
 
“I told you I asked my parents and they said it was okay.” Jaejoong smiled. His voice was slightly mousy. At times he sounded almost like a girl. “They really are okay with us going on a date. I have sisters older than you. Hell, I have a nephew and a niece older than you.”
 
“I’m sorry.”
 
“It’s okay. You can buy me candy when we go to the movies. Which we’re late for so now we need to go to a later showing.”
 
“I’m sorry,” Yunho repeated.
 
“It’s okay.” Jaejoong smiled and hooked his arm through Yunho’s. He wanted to lean his head against Yunho’s arm and take in the scent of leather and cologne he had gotten hints of as he walked up to the older boy. But he also didn’t want to push his luck.  He spent way too much time trying to crack Yunho’s shell to up now.
 
Jaejoong begged his parents to let him test out of calculus knowing full well there was only one class he could be put into; Yunho’s gym class. He wasn’t looking forward to the sports aspect, but being able to watch Yunho run and jump and sweat was worth the pain and possible embarrassment.
 
“Are you hungry? The next showing isn’t until 9 so…”
 
“We have a few hours to burn,” Jaejoong smiled.
 
Yunho heart almost exploded in his chest. Jaejoong was beautiful, charming, smart. “Yeah. We have a few hours. So, what do you like to eat?”
 
“Anything is fine.”
 
Yunho smirked. He knew exactly where to go; a tiny diner he and Yoochun found after a night of drinking and minor vandalism. The waitresses all knew him by name and always had his favorite booth ready for him. “The food here is really good. Mostly American food,” Yunho explained as he pulled into the parking lot.
 
“Hey, Sugar!” Hana called brightly as Yunho and Jaejoong walked in. “Where’s your partner in crime? Didn’t get arrested did he?”
 
“No. He’s home, being an . You know, the usual.”
 
“Who’s this? A boyfriend?”
 
“No! No, this is my cousin; Jaejoong,” Yunho stuttered.
 
“Okay Sugar. Let me know when you’re ready to order.”
 
“That was smooth,” Jaejoong said coyly.
 
“God, that was ing embarrassing.” Yunho carded his hands through his hair. He couldn’t shake the weird feeling he had.
 
“So it’s embarrassing to date a younger person. Or embarrassing to have a boyfriend. Or embarrassing to have a pretty boyfriend.”
 
“No. It’s not that! It’s just… I’m not good with social-type stuff. We aren’t even dating.”
 
“Yet,” Jaejoong said under his breath.
 
“What?” Yunho looked at Jaejoong, shock.
 
“I said, ‘yet’. We aren’t dating yet.” Jaejoong sat back. “I want a plate of onion rings. And a vanilla milkshake.”
 
“What makes you so sure we’re going to start dating.”
 
“I watch you, watching me. I have 8 older sisters. I know a thing or two about boys.”
 
Yunho laughed. He order for both of them when Hana made her way to their table. He tried to keep the conversation light, but Jaejoong kept flirting, making vaguely obscene comments.
 
“Give me your hand,” Jaejoong ordered.
 
“What?”
 
“Give me your hand. My eldest sister showed me how to read palms, let me give you a reading.”
 
Yunho hesitantly held out his hand. Jaejoong held it loosely in his hand. He traced the lines of Yunho’s hand lightly with his finger. Yunho’s hands were to die for. Jaejoong wanted Yunho’s hands on him as much as possible since the first day of class. He had tripped Yunho helped his stand back up. He shuddered at the memory of Yunho’s hand on his arm.
 
“See, this line here, is your life line. Your’s is really long. You’re going to have a long healthy life.” Jaejoong traced another line on Yunho’s hand. “This is your heart line. It shows you capabilities to love. Emotionally and physically.”
 
Yunho pulled his hand back roughly and rubbed it on his jeans.
 
“Sorry.” Jaejoong lowered his eyes.
 
“It’s okay. It just… Was itching my hand.” Yunho smiled brightly. Jaejoong smiled back.
 
Hana brought their food to the table. Yunho was really enjoying his time with Jaejoong. The kid was smart and witty. They had so much in common. Almost more so than Yunho and Yoochun had in common.
 
Jaejoong in turn was impressed with Yunho. Everyone; his sisters, his friends at school, even some of the teachers had told him that Yunho was nothing but a trouble maker. His sister who was in Yunho’s classes said that Yunho was a lazy, mouthy, D-student. Jaejoong couldn’t believe that. The Yunho sitting across from him was kind, polite and intelligent.
 
“I’ve heard some stuff about you,” Jaejoong finally said.
 
“Yeah. What kind of stuff? Nothing good I suppose.” Yunho tried not to sound sad.
 
“Yeah. Some bad stuff. I think it’s all exaggeration. You can’t be a bully. You aren’t dumb.”
 
“I just don’t care. I do well enough to get by and my parents stay off my back. It’s been rocky since I came out to them.”
 
“I didn’t have to come out to my parents. They caught me kissing my best friend… Well, former best friend. Last year. At my sister’s birthday party. It was really chaotic at the house and I thought we could sneak away for a while. It’s mortifying.”
 
“Can’t be worse than my coming out. I’m sure Mom knew before I told her, but Dad. Dad hasn’t talked to me like I’m a real person since. Mom basically our go-between.”
 
“I’m sorry.”
 
“Don’t be.” Yunho glanced at his watch. “The movie will be starting soon. You ready?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Hey, what time do I have to get you home by so you don’t turn into a pumpkin?”
 
“I don’t have a curfew on weekends.” Jaejoong sauntered past Yunho and climbed into the car.
 
Yunho quirked an eyebrow. If this turned into anything he would definitely be using that to his advantage.
 
He shook his head; he couldn’t believe that thought went through his mind.
 
 
They rest of the evening was quiet. Yunho brought Jaejoong home after the movie instead of going to the coffee shop.
 
“Thanks. I had a lot of fun,” Jaejoong stared at his feet.
 
“I did too.”
 
“Can we… Do this again sometime?”
 
“Look, Jaejoong, I don’t know what I was thinking when I asked you out. I’m going to be 18 in three weeks. Any relationship we have will technically be illegal. I can’t up like that.”
 
“Oh…”
 
“It’s not that I don’t like you. I’d love to be friends with but that’s all it can be is a friendship. We can’t date. We can’t be in a relationship.”
 
“No, I get it. I really do. This whole thing was stupid. I’ll see you in class on Monday.” Jaejoong ran up the walkway determined to get away from Yunho.
 
Yunho slammed his fist on his steering wheel. He ed that up more royally than he had ed up anything in his life.
 
 
 
Three weeks flew by. Yunho and Jaejoong talked sparingly during class but whenever he could Yunho still picked Jaejoong to be on his team. 
 
Yunho was sitting in Yoochun’s basement, drinking a beer and feeling miserable. It was his 18th birthday and try as he might, he couldn’t feel happy.
 
Yoochun tried everything to break Yunho out of his funk.
 
“Dude, you did the right thing. Dating that kid would have been a huge mistake. Yunho, stop moping and lets have some fun tonight. We’ll drive out to the bridge. Maybe if you’re lucky I’ll even give you birthday head.”
 
“ off Yoochun. I just want to sit here and wallow.”
 
“What ever. Stop being so ing miserable. I’m getting more drinks.”
 
Yunho his side, away from the door. He heard footsteps coming down the stairs a few moments later.
 
“That was quick.”
 
“Your little sister told me I would find you here,” a mousy voice whispered.
 
“Jaejoong?” Yunho sat quickly.
 
“Yeah. Look, I know you don’t want anything to do with me. I really do understand. I just wanted to give you this.” Jaejoong handed Yunho a small box wrapped with a silver ribbon. “I’ll leave.”
 
Yunho placed the box on the sofa. “Jaejoong wait!”
 
Jaejoong turned and looked up at Yunho with sad eyes.
 
“I don’t hate you. And I don’t want to not be friends.”
 
“And I don’t want to be just friends. I know I’m young, but… I’m a genius, certified. I know what I want and I’m mature enough to deal with the consequences.”
 
“No. You’re not. This is a big deal, Jaejoong. I’m 18 now. I could go to jail over this.”
 
“Then let’s wait two years. I’ll be 16 and that’s age of consent.”
 
“16 and 20 isn’t much better than 14 and 18. Jaejoong…”
 
“Stop! Stop saying my name like that. I have to go.” Jaejoong turned to leave. “Happy birthday.” He ran up the stairs, pushing passed Yoochun and wiping the tears from his eyes.
 
“I take it that didn’t go how you wanted it to go.”
 
“No. No it most decidedly didn’t.”
 
“What did he get you?”
 
What?”
 
“Open the gift he got you. Don’t be rude. And make sure you thank him in class tomorrow.”
 
Yunho pulled on the ribbon and opened the box slowly. Inside was a necklace with a ‘J’ pendant. In the center of the ‘J’ was a heart shaped diamond.
 
“Something tells me that conversation didn’t go the way he wanted either.”
 
“No. It didn’t. Yoochun what am I going to do?”
 
“Wait two years and then his brains out.”
 
Yunho punched Yoochun squarely in the face.
 
“! Yunho that hurt!”
 
“Good! He’s a kid Yoochun. You shouldn’t talk about him like that!” Yunho was pissed. “I can’t keep this. It’s too weird and too expensive. I’m giving it back tomorrow.”
 
“Then tell him. In a nice way.”
 
“I don’t think there’s a nice way to say ‘thanks for the gift but it’s super weird because it’s your initial and you’re 14 and if I even think about kissing you I’ll go to prison for 20 years’.”
 
“Sorry, man. It to be you.”
 
***
 
Jaejoong ignored Yunho all through class. Even when Yunho purposely ran next Jaejoong, he was just ignored.
 
Yunho had only one choice. He cornered Jaejoong in the locker room. Jaejoong waited until everyone was finished before he changed out of his uniform.
 
Yunho changed quickly and sat on the bench.
 
“Hey, Jaejoong,” he said as Jaejoong rounded a corner. He wasn’t wearing a shirt and Yunho could help but stare.
 
“!”
 
“Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I just wan to talk to you.”  Yunho pulled the necklace out of his pocket. “I can’t keep this. It’s too much.”
 
“Keep it. Maybe you’ll find someone you like who has a ‘J’ name and you’ll have a birthday present or a Christmas present all taken care of.”
 
“I don’t… I don’t want to find a person.”
 
“Well, keep it anyway. I don’t want it. It’s nothing really. I just…”
 
Yunho was tired of hearing Jaejoong stutter his way through, what ever it was he was trying to say. He grabbed Jaejoong’s shoulders and kissed him. Hard and fully on his mouth. Jaejoong s his arms around Yunho’s neck and parted his lips, inviting Yunho to deepen the kiss.
 
“Oh god! I’m sorry Jaejoong! I’m so sorry.” Yunho pulled away from Jaejoong. “I shouldn’t have done that.”
 
“I wanted you to. I want you to.”
 
“Put your shirt on and let’s go.”
 
Jaejoong pulled his shirt over head quickly and ran after Yunho. “Where are we going?”
 
“We’re skipping. We’re going to the bridge. We have a lot to talk about and we can’t do it here.”
 
Yunho sped down the back roads. Jaejoong watched Yunho as he drove. He was scared. He never saw Yunho lose control like that.
 
Yunho skidded across the gravel road and pulled into a parking space. “Get out.”
 
“Yunho, what?”
 
“Just get out.”
 
Jaejoong scrambled out of the car. He waited for Yunho to get out. He prayed Yunho wasn’t just going to leave him there.
 
“Yunho?”
 
Yunho exited the car, slamming the door hard. Jaejoong jumped back.
 
“I… I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have…”
 
“Shut up! Jaejoong, just shut up!” Yunho pounded his fists on the hood of his car. “!”
 
“Are you okay?” Jaejoong walked over slowly. “Let me see your hands.”
 
Yunho held out his hands. Blood dripped down one side. “I’m sorry, Jaejoong. I was really out of line.”
 
“You scared the hell out of me is what you did.” Jaejoong pulled a water bottle and a bandana out of his back pack. He dabbed Yunho’s cuts clean. “I thought you were going to drive into the river. Or leave me here.”
 
“I wouldn’t do that. Ow!”
 
“Sorry. So what did you drag me out here for? I’ve never skipped class before and I have 4 sisters at home, plus two parents that will beat my raw when they find out. I know this isn’t about the necklace.”
 
“It’s not. Well, it is. Kinda.” Yunho couldn’t gather his thoughts. “Okay. Let me try again. Jaejoong, look.”
 
“You can stop. I understand. I really do. I’m too young. I’ll back off. We can be friends or what ever. And I want you to keep the necklace.”
 
“I don’t want to be friends. Not just friends. I think I can wait two years. It’s gonna , but…”
 
“I know. I’m going to graduate before I turn 16. Next year, if I pass gym. Technically, once I graduate I’ll be emancipated.”
 
“No. Not until you’re 16. On your 16th birthday I promise to take you out on the best date of your life. For now, let’s just be friends. And here; hold on to this for me.” Yunho hooked the necklace around Jaejoong’s neck.
 
“Promise?” Jaejoong touched the pendant.
 
“I promise.”
 
 
***
Two Years Later
 
 
“Mom! Mom, can’t find my boots!” Jaejoong screamed from the his bedroom.
 
“Jaejoong, they’re in the hall closet. And stop yelling.”
 
Jaejoong bounded down the stairs. “Mom, this is, by far the most important day of my life. I need to look amazing.”
 
“Jaejoong, you look fine.” His mother eyed him up and down. They had been fighting all week about his outfit. He was currently wearing the tightest pair of black jeans he could find, a black tank top and a shiny button down shirt. A small ‘J’ necklace sat in the hallow of his throat. He had dyed his hair honey blonde, another thing that caused a mini-war in his family.
 
“I don’t want fine. I want amazing. ing amazing!”
 
“Language, Jaejoong.”
 
“Sorry Mom.”
 
“Everything is fine.”
 
“I’m just nervous Mom…”
 
“I know, Dear,” his mother cut him off. “But if you don’t relax you are going to drive everyone in the house insane. You look fine. And Yunho is going to be beside himself when he sees you. Where are you going tonight?”
 
“I don’t know. Yunho didn’t say. He just said be ready by 9.”
 
“Well, you have ten minutes. Your boot are in the hall closet and don’t forget a jacket.”
 
“Thanks Mom.” Jaejoong grabbed his hoodie and ran out the door. He sat on the porch swing and waited, nerves bubbling through his stomach.
 
He hadn’t seen Yunho in over a year and half. Not since Yunho got an internship and full ride scholarship. He had impressed everyone with his great head for business.
 
Jaejoong hadn’t been as surprised as everyone else. He was proud, ecstatic, but not surprised. He knew Yunho could do anything he set his mind to.
 
“You look deep in thought. Care to share?”
 
“Yunho!” Jaejoong jumped up from the swing and threw his arms around Yunho’s neck. “Wow! You look fantastic!”
 
“Same to you.” Yunho locked his arms around Jaejoong’s waist. “You ready to go?”
 
“Yeah. Where are we going?”
 
Yunho smirked, “You’ll see.”
 
“The diner!” Jaejoong squealed as Yunho pulled into the driveway. “I haven’t been here since…”
 
“The last time I was home?”
 
“Yeah. It always felt weird coming here with out you. Yoochun tried to take me a few times but… Oh no! Not like dates! Just to hang out. He has a girlfriend. Or a boyfriend. I’m not really sure this week. You’ve missed a lot since you’ve been gone and not calling anyone. Ever.”
 
“Sorry about that. I’ve been just so damn busy. I haven’t stopped thinking about you though.”
 
“I know.”
 
“Oh! Before I forget I got something for you.”
 
“Yeah?”
 
Yunho pulled out a small box, tied with a silver ribbon. Jaejoong excitedly pulled the ribbon off the box and opened it. In the box was a silver necklace with a ‘Y’ shaped pendant. In the center of the ‘Y’ was a small heart shaped diamond.
 
“So after you graduate next year I want you to come to Paris with me. I’m going for a year to study and for work and they told me I should bring someone along for support. I want to bring you. I guess I’m saying I want to be with you.”
 
Jaejoong took his ‘J’ necklace off. He hooked it around Yunho’s neck. “Promise?”
 
Yunho hooked the ‘Y’ necklace around Jaejoong’s neck and smiled. “Promise.”
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
So I wanted to explain Yunho and Jaejoong's past and show their age difference (4 years). And just write an angsty, sweet little one shot. 'And Baby Makes Four' will be updated with in the week.